Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've only done a few small things and not a car but the technique should be the same

Start with a clean surface
mist finely with cool water
apply 9h to applicator pad
wipe surface vertically with 9h applicator pad then wipe horizontally.
Do not wipe too much, you just want to get an even layer without streaks.
Leave for 10 minutes
Wipe down with moist microfiber

Takes I think 24hrs or more to fully cure into the paint but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Clay barring really did make my paint feel better. This'll probably be good enough for now, but there are some scratches (swirls and some deeper scratches) that I'd rather not fix by hand if I can help it. Anyway, is the Harbor Freight DA polisher any good or if I should just save up for a 7424XP?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I haven’t personally used it, but tons of people on YouTube swear by it. There’s apparently a way to swap out the grease to make it quieter if you are inclined.

I got the Griots version with the lifetime warranty and I’m happy with it. It’s still loud as hell though compared to the higher end machines.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have to say, as someone who owns two cars with black wheels, Meguiar's Ultimate Waterless Wheel & Tire is completely my jam. It's a touch greasy (but I may be using too much product on the wheels themselves) but it's a super quick way to bring back the shine in-between washes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nitsuga posted:

Clay barring really did make my paint feel better. This'll probably be good enough for now, but there are some scratches (swirls and some deeper scratches) that I'd rather not fix by hand if I can help it. Anyway, is the Harbor Freight DA polisher any good or if I should just save up for a 7424XP?

personally i would find the side handle annoying AF on that PC. i really like the u-shaped handle on my griots DA

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

nitsuga posted:

I like mine a lot, but haven’t used any others so take that with a grain of salt. For times when I want to be really aggressive I still prefer my (also HF) rotary.

E: take off all the handles, gently caress handles on buffers.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

toplitzin posted:

I think it's still the cheap off ali-express ones are what we all have.

Pretty sure i have this stuff:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car...2841429919.html

I should have specified commercial options. I'm very, very unlikely to have time to do paint correction and ceramic coating on my own time and will probably end up paying a detailer to do things for me.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Here's more of that tornado thing in action.

This guy usually uses it dry and gets crazy good results anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4oA173qCdI&t=678s

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I live in a place with dusty gravel roads, including the driveway and parking, so being able to blow out the silt from the carpets and floormats is a godsend. Also I have a gas powered compressor, so CFM use doesn't really concern me. Are they as good as they look?

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Anyone have any cleaning regimens to follow beyond frequent touchless washes to maintain a ceramic coating? Obligatory pics because I think it's gorgeous.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

TheFonz posted:

Anyone have any cleaning regimens to follow beyond frequent touchless washes to maintain a ceramic coating? Obligatory pics because I think it's gorgeous.

You're at a point of diminishing returns, my friend. Looks great, though!

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

TheFonz posted:

Anyone have any cleaning regimens to follow beyond frequent touchless washes to maintain a ceramic coating?
I've been using Gyeon Cure as a maintenance spray every few months. Other than that, I posted about a drying aid a couple pages ago.

TheGoatTrick posted:

I have been using CarPro ECH2O. It's like Optimum No Rinse; you can use it as a rinseless wash, waterless wash, or quick detailer. It has silica, so it works really nicely with the ceramic coating, and it seems to be slightly thicker than ONR. I'm also using it as part of the mixture in the drying aid, which provides an incredible amount of gloss and can make a dusty car appear reasonably clean. If you have a ceramic coating, I highly recommend mixing this up:

- 1 part CarPro ECH2O
- 1 part Gyeon Cure (or CarPro Reload, or any silica spray sealant
- 8 parts distilled water

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

TheGoatTrick posted:

I've been using Gyeon Cure as a maintenance spray every few months. Other than that, I posted about a drying aid a couple pages ago.

What do you mean by drying aid? Just wash the car, then spray that solution on? Do you towel dry?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Yes.

Drying aids are applied to a wet car, and you wipe up with your drying towel. The idea is it adds lubrication while you are drying.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Somehow my sprinklers got messed up and I have tons of water spots all over my black car, unfortunately I was out of town so they sat there baking in the sun for a while. There's probably also no remaining wax on the car because "any day now I'm going to polish then ceramic coat the car." So far I've tried:

quick detailer and a microfiber towel - made them slightly less visible, but barely helped
synthetic clay - helped more than the quick detailer, but not enough
meguiar's ultimate compound by hand with a microfiber towel - this did the trick for most of the spots I tried it on, but some look like they'll require a second pass

I was doing this on a shady morning, but I don't think the ultimate compound was leaving hazing or marks that need to be polished off. Does that sound right? I was thinking of saving my hands and using a DA polisher with my softest pad, but I don't know if that changes how aggressive ultimate compound is. I did notice that UC by hand did not remove some of the light scratches (can't feel with your fingernail) and swirls that I want to remove, so I'll have to get more aggressive with polish in the future anyway.

Basically my question is ultimate compound by machine -> wax for now -> polish with something stronger in the future -> ceramic coating a reasonable approach to this? I won't have time for real polishing until August at the earliest.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Vinegar is my first thought.

https://1z-usa.com/how-to-remove-hard-water-spots/

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I like that the first thing it says it don't leave them on your car for too long, oops. Thanks though, I'll try that method out, it sounds less labor intensive if I can get most of them off by just dissolving them rather than physically polishing them out.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MomJeans420 posted:

I like that the first thing it says it don't leave them on your car for too long, oops. Thanks though, I'll try that method out, it sounds less labor intensive if I can get most of them off by just dissolving them rather than physically polishing them out.

Always try the less aggressive solutions first. I always go back to my first experience with poo poo stuck on paint. Something from one of the trees at our house got all over my 1967 Buick Wildcat and I was in high school and going nuts because wax wouldn't take it off, rubbing compound wouldn't take it off, nothing... but then I tried water and it washed right away. Yeah, I was young and dumb, but lesson learned.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Any time I get dried water spots I just use some ultimate compound and hand rub with a microfiber. If that doesnt take em off then you can go the vinegar or more aggressive compound route.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Bought a NC PRHT from Florida and it turns out it has a slight damp smell inside. Not bad, but enough to drive me crazy. How do I get rid of it? Would an ozone machine do the trick? Please tell me I don't need new carpet.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles posted:

I don't know on the ozone machine, but have a couple suggestions:

This Arm & Hammer product will absolutely remove bad smells (like mildew). However, first you also need to get the moisture out, which is what you need Damp Rid for. I suspect the ozone machine will replace the Arm & Hammer, but you'll still need the Damp Rid, either way.

So, put the Damp Rid bucket in your car, leave it in a sunny location with the windows all sealed, a couple days is what I've always shot for. Once that's done, if the smell persists, throw the Arm & Hammer all over the carpet, wait ~5 minutes, vacuum it all up.

Bonus, your vacuum will smell better.

On actually renting an ozone machine, local detail shops, maybe?

Ozone machine is well regarded for this, too, though. Whichever floats your boat.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 20, 2019

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I grabbed a bottle of chemical guys new car smell this week, it's a little spritzer. I'm gonna try it out on this Volvo I got, it's been sitting in the sun for a while just stinks of like, plastic inside.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

always be closing posted:

I grabbed a bottle of chemical guys new car smell this week, it's a little spritzer. I'm gonna try it out on this Volvo I got, it's been sitting in the sun for a while just stinks of like, plastic inside.

They are all pretty uncanny in how accurate they are.
I like to use the stripper scent on other people's cars and the new car/leather on mine.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I detailed my car a few years ago, it seems like the videos I followed online from Autogeek no longer exist. ( I think they deleted them because now they sell classes for detailing? ) Anyways, I'm just trying to confirm I've got the general steps right to save me time from trying to find and watch more videos.

I'm going to pre-wash with a pressure washer to make the next step easier.
Hand wash with dawn soap.
Clay bar
Tape off windows/plastic/things I don't want to get stuff from the next steps on.
Compound for scratches ( I've got a Porter Cable )

Here's where I get a little confused, I've got sealant and wax. Do most people do both? I assume the sealant comes before the wax?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I picked up a cheap high-speed blower to help get water out of the annoying spots and prevent water marks (like the fuel filler door, side mirrors, tail lights). is there any kind of recommended method to modify the end of the rubber nozzle to improve performance? it has plenty of velocity, just the nozzle is too wide.

it works ok, but I feel like it would work better if I could narrow the outlet it would make it easier to direct air into the tiny gaps.

for reference i bought this:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-one-18v-workshop-blower-skin-only_p6210741

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

I detailed my car a few years ago, it seems like the videos I followed online from Autogeek no longer exist. ( I think they deleted them because now they sell classes for detailing? ) Anyways, I'm just trying to confirm I've got the general steps right to save me time from trying to find and watch more videos.

I'm going to pre-wash with a pressure washer to make the next step easier.
Hand wash with dawn soap.
Clay bar
Tape off windows/plastic/things I don't want to get stuff from the next steps on.
Compound for scratches ( I've got a Porter Cable )

Here's where I get a little confused, I've got sealant and wax. Do most people do both? I assume the sealant comes before the wax?

Yes. Sealants will last longer than wax, so you want that to lay down first.

Dawn is probably unnecessary, if it’s been a while you likely don’t have any protection on there. Depends on if you want to buy a dedicated car soap or not.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Any recommendations for something to keep headlights from yellowing after polishing them?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've been recommended to clear coat them to give lasting protection.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

This headlight clear coat was recommended in this thread last year, but in typical fashion I've now had it a year and haven't bothered to try it out.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Are there any microfiber cloths/towels that are best at not leaving fibers and dust bunnies? Even after washing mine twice, they still leave little pieces of fiber and I don't like it :colbert:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ok I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

Are there any microfiber cloths/towels that are best at not leaving fibers and dust bunnies? Even after washing mine twice, they still leave little pieces of fiber and I don't like it :colbert:

Maybe you need to clean your dryer hose? None of my vast variety of microfibers leave lint.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Same. My Rag Company Eagle Edgeless did before I washed them, but nothing after that. OP - what brand towels are you using?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I guess ChemGuys now has a tornado cleaner thing too (According to amazon, so take that with a grain of salt) and only $40.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P6PTWQW/

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

I don't even have a Costco membership, but multiple people in this thread recommended the Kirkland signature ulta plus microfiber towels, and they were a great price, so I had a friend with a membership pick them up for me and I've had good luck with them. It probably helps that I've been very careful to wash them separately and not dry them with fabric softener, but I kept on getting microfiber towels before them that seemed useless, and these do everything I want, without leaving poo poo all over your car.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What are the best entry level DA polishers? Note I’m based in NZ and we don’t seem to have the entry level range that everyone else has.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

toplitzin posted:

I guess ChemGuys now has a tornado cleaner thing too (According to amazon, so take that with a grain of salt) and only $40.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P6PTWQW/

The guy I watch on Youtube uses one of those, air only for upholstery. Supposedly (and the video seems to corroborate this) they work really really well to get dirt out of carpet but they use a LOT of air. Like, no pancake compressor with them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
whats the good product for clearing up the air conditioning stink?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

BraveUlysses posted:

whats the good product for clearing up the air conditioning stink?

Ozium, maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ozone?