Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Since this is the de facto General Onyx Path thread:

The Aberrant Kickstarter is live.

I'd say I'm more interested to see what they do with the powers here than in Scion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Aberrant is easily the part of the Trinity Continuum I'm the least interested in. I'd need a kilelr pitch to spend money on this kickstarter.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

MonsieurChoc posted:

Aberrant is easily the part of the Trinity Continuum I'm the least interested in. I'd need a kilelr pitch to spend money on this kickstarter.

Depending on why, I'd be surprised if you change your mind, or not. Ian has indicated his intention to "depart" from the original, and seems specifically interested in being less weirdly grimdark and less antagonistic towards just being a loving cool superhero.

If you just don't like superhero stuff, well, yeah. :shrug:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

Depending on why, I'd be surprised if you change your mind, or not. Ian has indicated his intention to "depart" from the original, and seems specifically interested in being less weirdly grimdark and less antagonistic towards just being a loving cool superhero.

I don't hate superhero, but they're in general way less interesting than pulp heroes or sci-fi psions. And the terrible metaplot and broken rules of og Aberrant didn't help.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That Old Tree posted:

That's cool to hear. I certainly think there's room to mess with the seeds in the original (Divis Mal, conspiracy against supers, etc) while doing your own and better thing.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
I backed at the cheap level for now to see how the manuscript is turning out, and I will say the timeline is a massive improvement. Admittedly the timeline of the original was always a sticking point for me, as it involved some very nonsensical actions by leading nations and very clearly didn't understand how the UN worked in order to position Project Utopia and T2M the way they wanted. The new timeline is a lot better, and makes Project Utopia one of multiple competing factions for nova interest right from the beginning. The Directive also looks to make a lot more sense now, being a UN-sponsored group specifically about oversight over what authority they've granted Utopia and more broadly about nova issues in international politics.

More generally, they seem to be emphasizing Utopia and T2M's good works a lot more now, rather than more or less introducing them hand in hand with a murderous conspiracy. Also more globally oriented, with regional teams from the start and the Americas HQ in Mexico City. Seems a good start.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Excited to have this grand bestiary of guys who will turn my Aeon PCs into mush.

I am actually excited about this game more as a generic super hero system than anything else. Aberrant is definitely one of the White Wolf games I played the most during its original run and them making the world less stupid is certainly a good sign. I have really enjoyed the future stuff more than I was expecting to and I hope this does the same laying out the meta plot in its entirety from start to finish that Aeon does.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Desiden posted:

I backed at the cheap level for now to see how the manuscript is turning out, and I will say the timeline is a massive improvement. Admittedly the timeline of the original was always a sticking point for me, as it involved some very nonsensical actions by leading nations and very clearly didn't understand how the UN worked in order to position Project Utopia and T2M the way they wanted. The new timeline is a lot better, and makes Project Utopia one of multiple competing factions for nova interest right from the beginning. The Directive also looks to make a lot more sense now, being a UN-sponsored group specifically about oversight over what authority they've granted Utopia and more broadly about nova issues in international politics.

More generally, they seem to be emphasizing Utopia and T2M's good works a lot more now, rather than more or less introducing them hand in hand with a murderous conspiracy. Also more globally oriented, with regional teams from the start and the Americas HQ in Mexico City. Seems a good start.
I like the implication in chapter 2 that the reason you can have like a half-dozen different shadowy bullshit conspiracies operating more or less in plain sight is that people are happy enough with the idea that the planet isn't dying anymore and that they have better-than-fiber internet that they'll just...pay a little less attention.

e: Oh also that the UK is still a racist shithole

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

There was some poster with a podcast that had some neat content talking with people who were doing upcoming v5/WoD stuff, does he still post here or did he get run off for not being mad enough at people who worked on v5?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
WOOOO

Aberrant was my favorite of the Trinity games, so I'm super pumped.

Also, found the perfect encapsulation of my player's werewolf pack

https://www.facebook.com/thievescant/posts/1275735192606341

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I own way too many of the 1e Aberrant books so I'm excited about a version using Storypath-like rules, but god, those stretch goals are really wet farts I can't get excited about:
- Storyteller's Screen
- Comic compilation PDF
- wrasslin'

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hey, is this a fair Seeming?

Cheesemaid: Tasked with creating impossible delights from the Gentry's non-euclidean barns, Cheesemaids excell at the care and tending of supernatural creatures and cultures.
Blessing: Animal Ken skill checks for domestication or caretaking of supernatural animals require 3 successes rather than 5 for Exceptional Success.
Tyromancy: For the cost of a Glamor, the Changeling can create magic cheese out of things that aren't milk. This includes mundane vegan cheeses, and also more exotic, heretofore unimagined blends.
Regardless of the ingredients at hand, it goes through the normal stages of cheese development and, when eaten, produce the effects of a random Goblin Fruit. Storytellers are encouraged to adapt the effects to echo the ingredients used in the cheese's creation.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Cheesemaid: Tasked with creating impossible delights from the Gentry's non-euclidean barns, Cheesemaids excell at the care and tending of supernatural creatures and cultures.
Blessing: Animal Ken skill checks for domestication or caretaking of supernatural animals require 3 successes rather than 5 for Exceptional Success.
Tyromancy: For the cost of a Glamor, the Changeling can create magic cheese out of things that aren't milk. This includes mundane vegan cheeses, and also more exotic, heretofore unimagined blends.
Regardless of the ingredients at hand, it goes through the normal stages of cheese development and, when eaten, produce the effects of a random Goblin Fruit. Storytellers are encouraged to adapt the effects to echo the ingredients used in the cheese's creation.

as a Wisconsonian,
why

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
my wife and i met volunteering at a dairy goat farm and that's her cute little wink-nod to me through her character. And she's got a backstory with another player who acts as a runner between her cheesemaking Hollow and Goblin Markets, to trade for leads on other Changelings to rescue.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

So, for someone who isn't balls-deep in oWoD lore, are there any supernatural artifacts or whatnot that might attract unusual numbers of vampires to a city without their conscious knowledge? Unusual being by lore standards, not necessarily Loomer's numbers (which - holy poo poo, thank you for all your work).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Remora posted:

So, for someone who isn't balls-deep in oWoD lore, are there any supernatural artifacts or whatnot that might attract unusual numbers of vampires to a city without their conscious knowledge? Unusual being by lore standards, not necessarily Loomer's numbers (which - holy poo poo, thank you for all your work).
I don't know about specific named artifacts. Noddist lore or a torpid methuselah or something would probably draw a lot of heat but that's more conscious knowledge. You could have the methuselah thing happen and just have most of the NPCs be from their bloodline or reacting to the actions of NPCs of that bloodline, and you also have a super-dracula boss fight all queued up!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Remora posted:

There's a specific Elder level Dominate ability which is exactly this. I think there's an Auspex ability which also allows for mass telepathy. The Malkavian Madness Network has this ability in the lore but I don't think it's spelled out mechanically in the books. Clan Tremere has regional meetings every 2nd Tuesday, and Clan Tremere has a stick up their rear end about everything so who the gently caress knows with them.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You can also just make a thing up. Maybe the local area is some kind of BLOOD NEXUS.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

You can also just make a thing up. Maybe the local area is some kind of BLOOD NEXUS.

Yeah, I know, but if there's some thing that already does what I want in the lore, why not use it?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Remora posted:

Yeah, I know, but if there's some thing that already does what I want in the lore, why not use it?

Mostly because you have at least 50% odds of coming up with something more cool than oWoD managed.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

You know what? Fair.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Recall to the Founder does tha IIRC, but only to all your blood descendants.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

actually seems kind of awesome

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

yeah, free goblin fruit is pretty good and you get the cost of investment back from eating your magic cheese

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I approve of it, and also convenient since I am starting CTL2E in a couple of weeks!

Is there anywhere collecting custom Kiths? The rules seem clear enough, so I figure there should be a lot of them, even if only as adaptations of the 1E ones.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm reminded of the Bone Gnawer Fetish one of my players came up with: a magic fast food bag that gave you one Trio per day.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 4, 2019

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Remora posted:

Not really, other than the presence of methuselae using dominate and presence from their torpid slumber. There are a couple of exceptions - a demon bound into a mountain, and a ley line nexus - but you're best off just making it up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Isn't there going to be a Kith book, or at least a book with more of them, coming up soon-ish for CtL2E?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Dawgstar posted:

Isn't there going to be a Kith book, or at least a book with more of them, coming up soon-ish for CtL2E?

I’d be surprised if they released a kith book after pushing so much on custom kiths

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I own way too many of the 1e Aberrant books so I'm excited about a version using Storypath-like rules, but god, those stretch goals are really wet farts I can't get excited about :
- Storyteller's Screen
- Comic compilation PDF
- wrasslin'
Strong disagree on the last one, the wrestling supplement was the only bit of the old Aberrant setting I got really into, largely because it didn't remotely take the Aberrant setting seriously and neither did I.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Dawgstar posted:

There's a stretch goal companion called Kith & Kin that's going to come out, but probably not "soon."

Edit: Yeah it's in redlines, so it could easily be a year or so to release.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 4, 2019

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
I'm good with limited stretch goals if the intent is to really focus on getting the core rules right. Given how utterly broken the original aberrant rules were (even by old white wolf standards), and some of the stumbles in getting the rules clear and consistent with storypath (mainly in Scion), I'd rather they keep their scope narrow and well developed, than sprawl out too much lore in the get go and not devote as much time to tightening things up.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Here's a fun one. The Ksirafai - the secret police of the Order of Reason - were 'formed' (they'd always existed but in a different form - so more like they were recognized and adopted) in 1336. The same year, the nascent Camarilla created its Myrmidons, the proto-Archons of the Sect. This synchronicity is actually down to a dating error in Archons & Templars (the event that actually creates them is around 60 years later), but those little errors can be the seeds of really neat 'alternate' pathways for the setting: Who, exactly, was manipulating events to create two rigid hierarchical organizations with secret police able to move freely and pursue hidden agendas in two very different spheres of influence at the exact same time?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Nessus posted:

Kingdom Hearts has a clearer storyline and stronger characters than all World of Darkness lines, although I believe you could integrate the Goof as a Ragabash ancestor spirit in WTA.

On the other hand the terminology in Kingdom Hearts was at one point about as bad as Werewolf's when it comes to thickness and the ridiculous over usage.

Prior to the spin offs and recent releases the plot seemed to be so convoluted as to make magechat seem simple and straight forward..

That's a joke. The plot is still pretty drat convoluted. That Honest Game Trailers video of it puts it best when they try to sum up the identity of the bad guy. Who turns out to be masquerading as himself in one way or another like 3 times over.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 5, 2019

Boron_the_Moron
Apr 28, 2013
How would you run a Changeling chronicle based around a cross-country road trip? I was thinking about Stardust Crusaders, and now I've fallen in love with the idea of a group of humans being abducted from Miami, Florida, escaping through the Hedge, and finding themselves stranded in Anchorage, Alaska because of Weird Fae Bullshit. They can't just catch a flight home, because they've got no IDs. So instead they have to scrounge up some cash to buy a lovely old car and some supplies, and set off on a road-trip across America (and some of Canada). Meanwhile their Keeper is hot on their heels, every step of the way.

I feel like there's a huge amount of interesting potential in a modern-day Odyssey. Is there anything in the Changeling rules, or real-life, that would make this idea hard to run?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Boron_the_Moron posted:

How would you run a Changeling chronicle based around a cross-country road trip? I was thinking about Stardust Crusaders, and now I've fallen in love with the idea of a group of humans being abducted from Miami, Florida, escaping through the Hedge, and finding themselves stranded in Anchorage, Alaska because of Weird Fae Bullshit. They can't just catch a flight home, because they've got no IDs. So instead they have to scrounge up some cash to buy a lovely old car and some supplies, and set off on a road-trip across America (and some of Canada). Meanwhile their Keeper is hot on their heels, every step of the way.

I feel like there's a huge amount of interesting potential in a modern-day Odyssey. Is there anything in the Changeling rules, or real-life, that would make this idea hard to run?

Sounds like a really cool idea. I can't think of anything that would cause a real problem. Changelings don't have difficulties travelling like vampires or a strong connection to territory like werewolves.

Obviously dragging a bunch of fae poo poo through other changelings freeholds isn't going to make them any friends, and not having a legal existence will make it hard to interact with mundane society in a lot of ways, but that's probably where a lot of the narrative of the campaign will come from.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Passports are going to be a problem, it’s easier to get on a plane currently than to cross the Canadian border.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Gives a good impetus to enter the Hedge. The fae may want your first memory of spring or whatever, but they probably have fairly lax standards for travel documents.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

One of my Trinity players really wants a VARG. Reading up on them in the Trinity Tech Manual, they seem to be between 2.5 meters to 5 meters tall, putting them on the smaller scale of mechas. It's really not clear if you need to put points in Pilot for handling/maneuvering. And there's almost no guidelines for how the Device background works, other than "like normal gear, but better!".

I hope these are all handled better in the new version. Man, I can't wait for my copy to arrive.

Edit: I also hope they changed the name to something catchier than VARG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Huh, so white wolf has a create your own super hero thing? Now would probably be a good time to try and make a video game from that.