Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Eh I'm taking a lot of it with a grain of salt, I'm sure even CIG knows there would be revolts among the whales if you could cheat yourself a ship that they paid $10k for. And they'll always keep pushing the PU as "coming soon" even if the SP mod becomes the focus.

That’s easily solved. Closely monitor for cheating of ships(who cares about other types of cheating), only allow you to purchase lovely ship(like the cutlass) in offline/online mode. Good ships are still obtainable in game (for unreasonable amounts of in game currency), or in the pledge store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

MedicineHut posted:

This is weird, if CIG ever so slightly suggests that the multiplayer online may be canned or even "postponed until further notice" the riot would be epic and would mean pledging suicide. I do not really see CIG admitting it explicitely or implicitly at all. If there is one thing they know how to do well is liying to shitizens.
I think they want to use SQ42s "open universe" or whatever as something that players can be happy with as the PU develops over the next decade

and remember that the "offline" portion of the game still has to connect to CIGs servers to verify your account and will be "always online" anyway

so no cheat coding an idris and taking it straight into the PU, I'm afraid

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Holy poo poo I just got a noise complaint from my boss for laughing so hard.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheAgent posted:

so no cheat coding an idris and taking it straight into the PU, I'm afraid

Thanks for the laugh, my co workers are wondering what ummm laughing at and well i'm not going down this rabbit hole.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet that the new stations are cribbed heavily from the look and feel of Homeworld 2, right down to the powder-blue and orange color scheme.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

I said come in! posted:

When Chris Roberts first revealed Star Citizen and said that "no publisher would accept my pitch for this game." why was that not the first red flag to go off in peoples minds to stay away from this poo poo show?

When Chris pitched SC on kickstarter, there was a general consensus that the old publisher model was failing, Atari and THQ were in freefall and would cease to exist within 6 months, Activision was closing studios and still going through the BS with Respawn. Kickstarter was considered "fresh" and failures from old school developers hadn't kicked in. Not to mention that the "made for console statements" was pretty much at it's peak.

When we say he got in at the right time, he really did. He played the right notes about publishers, the PC culture, the "graphics won't be toned down for console peasants".

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://twitter.com/VirtualCapt/status/1146379591637798912

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet that the new stations are cribbed heavily from the look and feel of Homeworld 2, right down to the powder-blue and orange color scheme.

Homeworld 1 & 2 are the best RTS games ever made.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Scruffpuff posted:

Wow that's pretty interesting now that I read it more closely - I guess I skimmed it the first time. So they're basically saying that other actual players, on the PU, can become your own personal NPC slaves in the single-player game. How is this not the Black Mirror episode U.S.S. Callister?

I guess it solves the problem of finding people willing to be space slaves. You just take away their free will in your own private fantasy version of the game. CIG certainly knows their backers.

At least with U.S.S. Callister you had a pretty complex, fully functional world with no macro transactions and half broken trash. The Roberts equivalent is a collectible virtual asset game with a broken asset viewer that's marketed as a game.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Drunk Theory posted:

Instant devalue on whichever ships they sell in offline mode. Wonder which backers get to be the lucky winners.

And who needs an online anyway. Not like they can get it to work. Next, who needs AI anyway.

I 100% guarantee that all of these offline purchases will be attainable via hacks at launch.

Because CI is incompetent.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The only way hacking shouldn't be possible (again remember who is developing this game though) is if Star Citizen is still online only, but you're just put into a universe that is exclusively yours. This is how Elite Dangerous works. What CIG is doing is really not a bad idea, but again, CIG promised and pitched an MMO. They have now directly lied and scaled back on key promises that people used to justify pouring thousands of dollars into.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

YOU TELL ME IF ITS A SCAM THAT MY SHIP CANT DO ANYTHING BESIDES ROLEPLAY PEW PEW WITH ZERO OBJECTIVES AND JUST A LOTTA MILSIM BRO SPEAK

YOU TELL ME IF ITS A SCAM THAT IT COST $375 AND STILL CAN'T BE USED FOR ANYTHING BUT FERRYING A RED BULL SPONSORED "GRASS ROOTS" MARKETING CLAN TO A COMPLETELY MADE UP FIREFIGHT THAT TAKES SEVERAL HOURS OF COORDINATION TO HAVE ABOUT 15 MINUTES OF GAMEPLAY

YOU GO AHEAD AND TELL ME ITS A SCAM

It's a ... not scam! :homebrew:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

ED is bland but its mere existence makes citizens poo poo and piss themselves because its an actual working game.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

I said come in! posted:

The only way hacking shouldn't be possible (again remember who is developing this game though) is if Star Citizen is still online only, but you're just put into a universe that is exclusively yours. This is how Elite Dangerous works. What CIG is doing is really not a bad idea, but again, CIG promised and pitched an MMO. They have now directly lied and scaled back on key promises that people used to justify pouring thousands of dollars into.

I think you will find CIG never promised an MMO....no seriously, pretty sure that arguments been done sometime in the last few years.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Drunk Theory posted:

I think you will find CIG never promised an MMO....no seriously, pretty sure that arguments been done sometime in the last few years.

They promised a persistent universe, and offline play for Star Citizen has never been mentioned until now. That's an MMO.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They promised a slider that will let you set your level of MMO-ness. How will that work? Well you see there is a slider and the more to the right it is the more like an MMO the game will be.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

I 100% guarantee that all of these offline purchases will be attainable via hacks at launch.

Because CI is incompetent.

And that will be the very first thing patched, with preternatural levels of development competence, laser focus, and incredible speed. Then it will be back to clownshoes until someone else has fun.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 3, 2019

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Scruffpuff posted:

And that will be the very first thing patched, with preternatural levels of development competence, laser focus, and incredibly speed. Then it will be back to clownshoes until someone else has fun.

Try being more positive.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

quote:

ACTUAL RESULT

Each time elevator door opens you're moved to a different shaft.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Star Citizen: No matter what, you'll take the shaft

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Again, tangentially related to star citizen, but the Starbase discord has profuse amounts of goonfear, and there are like, three goons over there. There are long discussions about "what if goons come :ohdear:" "i'll destroy goons if they arrive" etc.

It is quite a sight to behold. Literally the boogeymen.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Ahahahaha

There's "completely unintended bug that will not be fixed any time soon" number one

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Neltharak posted:

Again, tangentially related to star citizen, but the Starbase discord has profuse amounts of goonfear, and there are like, three goons over there. There are long discussions about "what if goons come :ohdear:" "i'll destroy goons if they arrive" etc.

Starbase discord is full of exactly the same kinds of pre-emptive empire building, org drama and fleet composition masturbating that early Citizenry was full of. It brings a tear to my eye.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

Starbase discord is full of exactly the same kinds of pre-emptive empire building, org drama and fleet composition masturbating that early Citizenry was full of. It brings a tear to my eye.

It's absolutely great. I love it. But i learned my lesson and money isn't going in there until there's a game to play.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Star citizen is the poo poo.

The literal poo poo.

It's poo poo all the way down.

Much like Battlecruiser 500000

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Achievement unlocked: You've been shafted!

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Lladre posted:

Star citizen is the poo poo.

The literal poo poo.

It's poo poo all the way down.

Much like Battlecruiser 500000

Yeah but what about ED? ED is poo poo, so Star Citizen is good.

Checkmate

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Neltharak posted:

Well that pretty much made my decision whether or not I was playing. See you guys there.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

And Line of Defense. I miss smug MoMA.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

Well that pretty much made my decision whether or not I was playing. See you guys there.

remember to put in the most stupid giant [GOONS] tag to tell pubbies it's okay to hate you

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

I don't remember goons having an org in Anarchy Online, but they were definitely there... telling newbies to select city guards and type "quest", getting them immediately killed.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Neltharak posted:

remember to put in the most stupid giant [GOONS] tag to tell pubbies it's okay to hate you

In all seriousness the griefing potential in that game appears to be off the scale - limited only by your imagination. In particular the programmable chips that run the machinery and such look like an incredible opportunity.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I said come in! posted:

Homeworld 1 & 2 are the best RTS games ever made.

Get ready, there's a Bentusi ship inbound!

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

In all seriousness the griefing potential in that game appears to be off the scale - limited only by your imagination. In particular the programmable chips that run the machinery and such look like an incredible opportunity.

Imagine how far you could get with an off-by-one error

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is an episode of Star Trek Voyager about this.