Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1phfTKWzRlE

A reminder that this only exists thanks to these fuckers :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Big Scary Owl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1phfTKWzRlE

A reminder that this only exists thanks to these fuckers :shobon:

God bless James Small.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Captain Invictus posted:

You should watch eva because it is good and also because it is a hugely important series in the context of...a LOT of anime(and more) in the last 22ish years

It's by no means a perfect show, but god drat I remember watching some absurdly low res rips wayyyyy back in the day and it was unlike anything I had seen before at that point

I remember sitting a friend down who was relatively new to anime in the mid-oughts and told him to watch as much as he felt comfortable with while I went to work. He wound up binging the entire series in one go and was halfway through end of eva when I got home, and literally the only thing he did was do that thing psyduck does where he grabs his head and turns it sideways with a noise of confusion and overwhelmedness

I feel like you have to be in the right mindset tbh. I heard for years how hyped up it is and how it was a game changer and amazing and etc etc. One afternoon I was bored so I sat down and watched it. And like, I hated it. I felt like it wasted a lot of my time, none of the characters were interesting or likeable. Way too many shots of faces talking to each other and I just didn't care anymore. It was a series that I forgot everything about like a week or two after watching because nothing was memorable other than "It had some cool designs I guess."

It's not like I don't get why it's important to the genre or anything either- I get that in pioneered a lot and changed the landscape. It's just I've seen the landscape it created so going back to it was just a drag where I would just check out constantly.

If you like it by all means, do not let me take that away from you, but I wouldn't say its must watch. Not anymore anyway.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It sounds like you got *in woolie voice* Undertaled

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I feel like you have to be in the right mindset tbh. I heard for years how hyped up it is and how it was a game changer and amazing and etc etc. One afternoon I was bored so I sat down and watched it. And like, I hated it. I felt like it wasted a lot of my time, none of the characters were interesting or likeable. Way too many shots of faces talking to each other and I just didn't care anymore. It was a series that I forgot everything about like a week or two after watching because nothing was memorable other than "It had some cool designs I guess."

It's not like I don't get why it's important to the genre or anything either- I get that in pioneered a lot and changed the landscape. It's just I've seen the landscape it created so going back to it was just a drag where I would just check out constantly.

If you like it by all means, do not let me take that away from you, but I wouldn't say its must watch. Not anymore anyway.
You should listen to the Waypoints episodes about it. They go in depth in on the significance of a lot of the scenes episode by episode, from a group half made from first time watchers who aren't necessarily anime fans and know literally nothing about the series in some cases. They just put out the second episode talking about episodes 8-13 or 14, and how hosed up the sexualization and fanservice is in this day and age, but also go over the meanings of various scenes that might not necessarily look like much at first glance. If nothing else it might help you understand WHY it was important, even if you despise it.

it created a ton of genre staples and did some things that nobody had really tried to do in a tv anime. I think it literally aired after like, doraemon or something, which is hilarious. You can hate it, that's totally fine, but that doesn't mean it's not important.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Captain Invictus posted:

You should listen to the Waypoints episodes about it. They go in depth in on the significance of a lot of the scenes episode by episode, from a group half made from first time watchers who aren't necessarily anime fans and know literally nothing about the series in some cases. They just put out the second episode talking about episodes 8-13 or 14, and how hosed up the sexualization and fanservice is in this day and age, but also go over the meanings of various scenes that might not necessarily look like much at first glance. If nothing else it might help you understand WHY it was important, even if you despise it.

it created a ton of genre staples and did some things that nobody had really tried to do in a tv anime. I think it literally aired after like, doraemon or something, which is hilarious. You can hate it, that's totally fine, but that doesn't mean it's not important.

I'll give it a listen and again, as I said, I'm not denying that it wasn't important at the time. I understand how it created genre subversions and the like in anime- it's just that actually watching it now is pretty boring when I've seen a ton of anime subversions in various shows.

Also while I used the word hate, I just mean that it did nothing for me and I was just really bored is all. I'm sure a insult can be slung at me but there's various points where I just zoned out while watching because it felt like nothing was being talked about and it was a boring shot of a drink on a table or something. I just felt the pacing was atrocious between spurts of animation.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The long pauses are supposed to create a sense of discomfort.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dabir posted:

The long pauses are supposed to create a sense of discomfort.

https://twitter.com/Lythero/status/1147232853782081537

Came up because a streamer I follow is checking it out for the first time but it sounds like he's kinda going through the same thing I did.

The show did this enough that I stopped finding it discomforting or anything, just kind of "okay I get it".
Maybe binge watching it and getting that back to back to back was a bad idea but ehh. Each their own.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You've got bad taste, sorry

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Anyways wtf is the release schedule for gon in 60 seconds anyways

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That ain't even that many long-shots.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Guys this show about mental illness and the anxiety of building human relationships is really slow? I mean the robots look cool but I don’t get why there’s so many pauses like? Ok the characters all have trauma and are afraid of getting hurt but let’s speed it up here

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I watched Eva for the first time last year after avoiding it for a while because I once saw a pretty late and spoilery scene randomly that kinda disturbed me but once I sat down and watched it I liked it a lot, I don't remember it being too slow either. Misato is my favorite character she's kickin' rad.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I kinda wanna time that long shot just to see how long it actually is, just so I can be more precise in making fun outta it.

I mean, it's fine to not like it, it's just...even the infamous elevator shot is like, less than one minute long.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The opening is the only part of Evangelion I like

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

The opening is the only part of Evangelion I like

I know for a fact you're Finnish. What about Misato?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Marin Karin posted:

Guys this show about mental illness and the anxiety of building human relationships is really slow? I mean the robots look cool but I don’t get why there’s so many pauses like? Ok the characters all have trauma and are afraid of getting hurt but let’s speed it up here

Please don't strawman at me.

E: Literally vibes of "Guys have you heard about DEATH NOTE"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

I know for a fact you're Finnish. What about Misato?

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

It has also been like 10 years since I watched it though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey, don't let them get you down. I had the same problem watching Haruhi Suzumiya. It's a show about summer vacation but it never ends, it's like the Simpsons! And they just keep doing the same thing over and over again too, for like 30 years and no one ever grows up, it's exhausting.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm just saying, a dude that got popular for playing MVC3 can probably withstand 30s+ of nothing happening while his soul dies. That's literally called playing MVC3.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
oh, well if you're going to compare it to the masterpiece that is haruhi suzumiya, then it must be good

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
My Eva hot take is that Eva is best when it's featured in a Super Robot Wars game.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My hot take is that Re Zero is the Evangelion of Isekai (or it soon will, if not already).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

oh, well if you're going to compare it to the masterpiece that is haruhi suzumiya, then it must be good

Yeah, I know Its not fair to Evangelion to put it up against Haruhi abd expect it to be better.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
https://youtu.be/BA6tbUPEuDg

We back

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUaTwLLsJ0I

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The still shot with kawrou being held by unit 1 is fantastic and smh if you disagree.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

This is precious

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Woolie is making such a huge deal about the icp Make up messing with facial recognition stuff.... But when he retweeted it, all I thought was "Oh I forgot when an article was wrote about this months ago."

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

MaxDuo posted:

Woolie is making such a huge deal about the icp Make up messing with facial recognition stuff.... But when he retweeted it, all I thought was "Oh I forgot when an article was wrote about this months ago."

It takes a while to reach, but we all have to come to terms that juggalos are to be the dominating species in the planet and it's join or die.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It takes a while to reach, but we all have to come to terms that juggalos are to be the dominating species in the planet and it's join or die.

Woop, and I can not stress this enough, woop.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

And then probably die somehow anyway.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It sure is weird that covering your face makes facial recognition more difficult

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Andrast posted:

It sure is weird that covering your face makes facial recognition more difficult

no its the juggalo aura

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm glad that juggalos are finally getting their due.
I say this jokingly but also kind of entirely seriously, juggalo culture loudly shuns racism and hate in general most of the time, ICP made a song about making GBS threads on the proudboys years before they became the wider menace they are now, they have a hefty handful of songs explicitly about killing racists and bigots. Juggalos can be weird looking or stupid stunt pullers, but they're mostly good people in my heaps of experience.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Yardbomb posted:

I say this jokingly but also kind of entirely seriously, juggalo culture loudly shuns racism and hate in general most of the time, ICP made a song about making GBS threads on the proudboys years before they became the wider menace they are now, they have a hefty handful of songs explicitly about killing racists and bigots. Juggalos can be weird looking or stupid stunt pullers, but they're mostly good people in my heaps of experience.

Aren't they quite homophobic? Just for clarification.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

That still doesn't explain that one juggalo baby funeral. :colbert:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

Aren't they quite homophobic? Just for clarification.

ICP's got some uses of "fag" in older material, not that it makes it much better but it was the late 90's/early aughts kind of use, still a lovely word but it wasn't like pointedly homophobic, but from anything I can think of they eased off that too. Then juggalos have been pretty cool with almost everyone, like in my immediate juggalo-friend circle, there's a furry, a gay furry, a big butch lesbian, a couple more 'average' people though almost all stoners and counting me, a dumb enby queer person.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Pretty sure one of the ICP clown's kid is a gay furry now.

They're a p. chill group usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Pretty sure one of the ICP clown's kid is a gay furry now.

They're a p. chill group usually.

Violent J's daughter is a furry yeah, there was a bunch of cute pictures of them going to a convention together pretty recently, both in costume.