Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Yeah, if it were at least based on complexity or how easy they were to play i would mind it less.

I didnt mind unlocking stuff the first time but man, i think literally every single unlockable class is like 10 times more fun than the default ones, and (unless they have changed up the balance since i last played) archmage is the easiest class to play and is for some reason an unlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Also, don't feel like you have to play the easier difficulties, I find nightmare a lot more fun because it has more interesting enemies.

e: I unlocked everything from the beginning.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i'm the guy who unlocked it all normally

i don't think either approach is bad. most of the default classes are kinda dull but the unlock requirements for most of the classes are not particularly obtuse. you'll almost certainly unlock archmage, brawler, cursed, summoner, and wyrmic within your first few runs just playing normally, and then it's just a matter of doing the optional content which you probably want to do anyway for the xp and loot.

however i'll make no excuses for the unlockable archmage talent trees. archmages are just flat worse unless you grind out fire and ice damage on an alchemist to unlock wildfire and ice for archmage

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The Oozemancer unlock is stupid, too.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

goferchan posted:

I own it but haven't played it . Got today off maybe I'll try and learn :) any noob tips ?

This, so very much this: https://te4.org/wiki/Recommended_Zone_Order_Progression

The wiki also has several guides, probably not quite up to date though: https://te4.org/wiki/Guides . Pretty sure a lot of it is written by a goon, as there are lots of links to the old TOME thread from various guides.

e: I unlocked stuff by playing, and enjoyed it. Some of them are quite specific iirc, so you'll start a game with a char not to win it, but to do one or two specific unlocks. Ymmv though, and oozemancer is awesome!

valuum fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 2, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
oh yeah once you get a little deeper into ToME, this guy curates guides that are actually good https://te4.org/wiki/User:Bpat

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Thanks for the ToME tips! Started an archer about an hour ago and cleared the first two dungeons and I'm exploring the map. This game is super chill and I appreciate the easy resource management, it's just what I was in the mood for. I usually enjoy going for persistent unlocks in games but if I find myself getting burnt out with the content available I'll cheat myself some more classes . So far I've unlocked Summoner (no idea how?) and a Poison talent tree which came from making a specific choice at the end of a seemingly random quest/dungeon I stumbled across on the world map , so I see what you guys mean about some of these unlock requirements being weird and out of the way

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

goferchan posted:

Thanks for the ToME tips! Started an archer about an hour ago and cleared the first two dungeons and I'm exploring the map. This game is super chill and I appreciate the easy resource management, it's just what I was in the mood for. I usually enjoy going for persistent unlocks in games but if I find myself getting burnt out with the content available I'll cheat myself some more classes . So far I've unlocked Summoner (no idea how?) and a Poison talent tree which came from making a specific choice at the end of a seemingly random quest/dungeon I stumbled across on the world map , so I see what you guys mean about some of these unlock requirements being weird and out of the way

Summoner you unlock by seeing an enemy use a summoning talent, so basically "go to old forest" except with the extra-obtuse step of needing a tree to summon bees.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
https://tometips.github.io/ is also a nice resource once you get some understanding of the game. The discord is also solid and full of friendly people.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So hey, Roguebook is looking pretty interesting as far as Deckbuilding Roguelites goes, currently on kickstarter.

There has been a rush of slay the spire clones lately, but I feel like Roguebook finally feels different enough while still remaining close to StS. You pick two of four classes and draft cards from both. Plus, each class combination gives you a different "ultimate", giving each combo a different gameplay.

Still needs lots of work (there's a few bugs and most of the art is placeholder-ish pulled from their other game, Faeria), but I've had some fun with it already and it's just alpha.

It's still not funded and I figured I may as well try to plug it a bit because I'd love to see this come alive. I'm a sucker for StS-likes even if most are terrible, but this one could be good!

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Wow, the Cube World thread was archived, um, three years ago. Hm. Anyhow, wollay just posted a batch of new screenshots to Twitter.

I'm more than half-way convinced now that it's just performance art.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Hugoon Chavez posted:

So hey, Roguebook is looking pretty interesting as far as Deckbuilding Roguelites goes, currently on kickstarter.

Just checked this out last night and the character swapping mechanic is a really cool shake-up

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Debilitating status affixes are extremely dangerous in ToME and it's very important that you be able to either remove them or immediately retreat when they're on you. Stun, confuse, disarm (or silence, depending), and some of the more exotic stuff like Inner Demons will simply get you killed if you try to take a non-trivial fight while they're on you for more than a couple turns.

Infusions and class abilities that allow you to deal with such effects should be a priority, in addition to healing effects that allow you to survive a sustained fight.

Keep an eye on poisons and bleeds, also. They're usually not too dangerous, but every so often you might run into a rare that continually stacks up a huge DoT stack or a -80% healing debuff that requires an immediate response.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Too Shy Guy posted:

I didn't really expect anything that would top the weirdness of yesterday's game, but welp

There are a lot of weird games on Steam. Shocking insight, I know, but what’s genuinely shocking is how few of them are truly, compellingly weird at their cores. You can go poking through the Weeklong Deals to find all sorts of oddities, but that might just be strange art or bad translations or concepts that never fully come together. Games like Straimium Immortaly are rare, the ones that start with a bizarre concept and build a fully-realized world and gameplay around it that’s equally bizarre. I’ve had no more luck making progress in beating this one or understanding it than I have in learning how to pronounce its name, but the weirdness that makes it so inscrutable also makes it remarkably compelling.

Normally this is the part of the review where I give an overview of the story or premise of the game in question. This time, I’m going to transcribe the opening crawl of the game for you instead:

In the far stars of Straimium, Queenis nestle in Cubicus nests. There they birth meany nasties to wage ever lasting Cubos War against rivaly Queeni Emperess. Straima Ninjas, holiest warriors, lead these Immortaly Incursions. Are you one such hallow Straima? Dare you breach the… Cubicus?

I had to stare at this for a bit before sussing out much meaning, but I think you’re a space fighter waging war against the Queeni Emperess, and you enter the Cubicus to find and destroy her. If the writing throws you off then you’d better get used to it, because all the text in the game is this sort of addled conversational rambling. No exceptions, either… even the game menus and button prompts get cute with you.

What I'm getting from this is that the developers of EYE: Divine Cybermancy made a roguelite.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
This might be a better question for the iOS thread, but what is the go to roguelike people like for iOS? Ideally something that isn’t iPad exclusive. I’ve already played the hell out of nethack and pixel dungeon and things like hoplite.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

ShortStack posted:

This might be a better question for the iOS thread, but what is the go to roguelike people like for iOS? Ideally something that isn’t iPad exclusive. I’ve already played the hell out of nethack and pixel dungeon and things like hoplite.

Ooh good question. Android tips too please, summer holiday coming up in a few days!

Parachute
May 18, 2003
too bad youve already played out nethack. pathos is really fun and i play it on android but its also on ios. it has a great ui for phones imo

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pathos-nethack-codex/id1045848120

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Decided to download Tome for the first time in ages. Got 15 levels into Anorithil before I realised Hymn of Moonlight no longer exists. What the hell.

e: I guess it's still there, but toned down? Oh well, so long as it still crits.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 3, 2019

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ShortStack posted:

Try the Michael Brough games, they're all sort of abstracted puzzle roguelikes and if you're counting Hoplite then they might as well count too. My favorite by far is Imbroglio.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

ShortStack posted:

Card Quest has been my first choice for some time.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Stark Fist posted:

Night of the full moon is also great

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Side note, actually finding GoldPlatedGames' curator page via the actual loving Steam application was impossible.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so is the forbidden cults dlc for tome4 worth it? i kind of stopped playing as much a little before that came out.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Stark Fist posted:

Card Quest is loving great (although the font choice sucks) but at least as I see it it's only barely roguelike adjacent, enemy compositions have a little variation and there are a handful of random events but for the most part you're gonna be facing predesigned encounters using an unchanging loadout that you put together at the start of the game.

I'm certainly no roguelike purist and Card Quest gets my strongest recommendation as a good iOS game but if you're looking for something with a lot of variance it might not fit the bill -- most of the challenge comes from preparation and once you get into the real hard poo poo half of the puzzle is knowing the encounters in advance and designing the best deck (which generally doesn't change throughout the game, it's not like Slay The Spire or something) to take them on. Gameplay is almost 100% deterministic and predictable -- like I said, the game rules, it just depends on what "roguelike" qualities you're seeking out I guess

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

DrManiac posted:

Night of the full moon is also great

Night Of The Full Moon is really fun and if you've played Dream Quest or Slay The Spire it's kind of like a slightly more streamlined version of those. There are still a ton of cool ways to break the game over your knee like in those games, it's just that they're easier to come by and kind of fall into your lap at times. I love it and 100%d it but I wish it got as challenging as something like high ascension StS -- even with the equivalent difficulty modifiers in Night Of The Full Moon there's relatively a ton of room to make mistakes . It's so cathartic putting together stupid powerful synergistic decks though that I'm willing to totally forgive the lack of difficulty once you get the hang of things , it's an extremely fun game to break

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

so is the forbidden cults dlc for tome4 worth it? i kind of stopped playing as much a little before that came out.

I'd say it's worth as much as Ashes and not as much as Embers. If you thought Ashes was good value, Cults should be too.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

cock hero flux posted:

I'd say it's worth as much as Ashes and not as much as Embers. If you thought Ashes was good value, Cults should be too.

good enough for me. the theming is pretty interesting-looking.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
I'm a huge ToME fan so I'd recommend every expansion. The criticisms in this thread saying Embers is a much more streamlined experience aren't wrong though, that's for sure. I still like the original campaign though.

Ashes is pretty cool too, I really like the Demonologist. Just be careful about the Osmosis Shield bug. Last I knew setting it to autocast could cause a bug where you got permanent negative regen.

User fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 4, 2019

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Yes, ToME has its issues, but the dude just keeps working on it, and I can't not support him by buying an expansion once every two years.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Burning Rain posted:

Yes, ToME has its issues, but the dude just keeps working on it, and I can't not support him by buying an expansion once every two years.

This. I've gotten hundreds of hours of play out of tome and as far as I'm concerned I'll break even if I buy the next 10 expansions without playing them for another minute. If there's a dev who deserves support more than darkgod, I haven't heard of them yet. And I say this with much respect for unormal.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

It's... not great. The new classes are fiddly and mediocre at best, and the new dungeon that all characters get access to is a gigantic pain in the rear end with a good chance of killing you for negligible rewards.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
So many people with brilliant opinions itt. I bought the dlcs in a steam sale a while ago and feel sort of bad for buying them on sale and through steam. I wish it was possible to buy things/donate directly from/to his site without paypal. According to steam I have like 200 hours played and I've spent less than :10bux: on it all.

e: I'm up to lvl 22 now on my doombringer and it's incredible how different some of the classes plays while still keeping the game challenging/entertaining. I just unlocked the Turn Into Huge loving Demon skill and I cant wait to max the skill and wreck poo poo and subsequently get owned and insta-gibbed by something because I open a vault or a chest or auto-explore into a boss without caring about escape options

valuum fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 4, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

atholbrose posted:

Wow, the Cube World thread was archived, um, three years ago. Hm. Anyhow, wollay just posted a batch of new screenshots to Twitter.

I'm more than half-way convinced now that it's just performance art.
After what happened with Barkley 2, I still believe in wollay.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
Just got Into the Breach for $2.49 on the steam sale. Any advice for a new player?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

User posted:

Just got Into the Breach for $2.49 on the steam sale. Any advice for a new player?

Not really, no. Just dive in, unless you end up running into any particular problems.

The single rewind a battle really helps with the “Whoops, that’s how that works.” Learning curve.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's... not great. The new classes are fiddly and mediocre at best, and the new dungeon that all characters get access to is a gigantic pain in the rear end with a good chance of killing you for negligible rewards.

I'd argue the only *really* fiddly things about the new classes are the Vore tree and the Cultist's very specific circumstances to summon their harbinger. The new dungeons are, yeah, pretty pbbbt. There's a weird... bug? in the flesh tilesets where the tiles outside of your LoS are the same color as what's in, so everything just sort of pops into existence as you stray too close.

However, depending on how deep into this you plan on going, the Cults DLC has two really good things going for it; one being the Font of Sacrifice and the other being the Tome of "do this moderately hard fight and get a bunch of free stats/skills/prodigy points". Also, I will forever stan for Cultist of Entropy, despite it clearly feeling like someone was intent on trying to declaw it.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

User posted:

Blocking spawns is only good if you're bogged down - it just puts off the problem until next turn, so make sure you're only doing it to even out the load between turns. You should start most turns by checking the monster attack turn order and then looking for two-for-ones where one monster kills another before it acts. Move speed is better than you think it is, but it's still not as good as getting one point of damage beyond baseline SOMEWHERE in your loadout first. Always look for getting that finishing point of damage by colliding monsters into each other, or forcing a monster to block a spawn, or even by smashing a monster into an allied mech - the only point of health that matters is the last one. Never ever do the train mission - needing to keep two tiles clear of both enemies AND ALLIES each turn, WHILE stopping them from attacking the trains currently position, tends to put you in really bad situations a lot more frequently than any other mission type. And only do the dam if you have a good way of blowing the thing up.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mister No posted:

However, depending on how deep into this you plan on going, the Cults DLC has two really good things going for it; one being the Font of Sacrifice and the other being the Tome of "do this moderately hard fight and get a bunch of free stats/skills/prodigy points". Also, I will forever stan for Cultist of Entropy, despite it clearly feeling like someone was intent on trying to declaw it.

Cultist of Entropy is a giant, writhing pile of drawbacks and provisos masquerading as a trade-off, except you don't actually get get anything good in exchange.

But if your idea of a fun class is "Paradox Mage but you suck and your powers make you kill yourself" then yeah, it's got you covered.

e: It's still a Razakai class so it's got solid internal synergies and lots of buttons to press vs. actual, honest-to-god garbage like Wyrmics or Cursed or whaterever, it's just very disappointing that every single aspect of the class was clearly designed, given a balance pass, and then given an extra pre-nerf before it ever saw the light of day.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 5, 2019

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
A newcomer approaches, wielding the ever-rarer arms & armour of Java: Pearls of Wisdom

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Pearls_of_Wisdom

quote:

You play an adventurer, exploring levels, fighting monsters, and collecting items. The goal is to collect the eight pearls of wisdom, each one guarded by a monster deep in a dungeon.

Features
Five character classes.
You can have a pet, and either control it yourself, or let the computer auto-play it.
Smart pickup and optimization of equipment.
Socketed items allow you to customize your weapons and armor.
Ranged weapons and spells.
Running.
Stores (but they don't buy items, so you don't need to worry about keeping useless items for gold).
Variety of level styles using different procedural generation algorithms.
World layout and levels are different every game, but there are fixed bosses and artifacts.
No permadeath; games are saved when resting in an inn.
Graphical interface, can be resized and use different fonts.
Keyboard control only. Keyset inspired by Angband, but simplified.
In-game help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Okay, so this TOME run as a doombringer has been going pretty well! I'm on the steps to the high peak now with 3 lives left. Cant remember anything about the fight from before and the wiki's rather sparse, any tips before I go in?