Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't understand how the prosecutors hosed up this badly. If it really was as simple as "offer to testify in exchange for immunity, then take credit for the crime" there's no way anyone with a friend would ever get convicted of anything. Surely there are procedures in place to prevent this extremely predictable scenario - if nothing else, how is this not a slam dunk murder case against the guy who testified to killing the kid?

For starters the prosecutors are lucky the case wasn't completely thrown out with prejudice when they hacked into the defense attorneys' emails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It keeps happening too they're gonna have to add an entire 4th year to law school just to tell everyone "HEY. LOOK AT ME. LOOK AT ME. DON'T FRAME GUILTY PEOPLE."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

It keeps happening too they're gonna have to add an entire 4th year to law school just to tell everyone "HEY. LOOK AT ME. LOOK AT ME. DON'T FRAME GUILTY PEOPLE."

Usually its the cops that do that, perhaps most famously in OJ Simpsons's murder case.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/MikeSacksEsq/status/1146524615273013249

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I hope some wiseass gets on camera and says “I love my job and I am proud of my vehicle slash tank” with a straight face.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/status/1146210661665558529?s=19

something something Pelosi is the leader the Dems need right now because she knows how to get things done instead of being an idealist

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yep, we're back into clusterfucktownville on the Census case. Yay.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1146526700475301888?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 3, 2019

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Retrowave Joe posted:

I hope some wiseass gets on camera and says “I love my job and I am proud of my vehicle slash tank” with a straight face.

Exceeds expectations promote immediately

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/status/1146210661665558529?s=19

something something Pelosi is the leader the Dems need right now because she knows how to get things done instead of being an idealist

It's hard to know if there is any validity to Twitter metrics on any level, but AOC gets 20x the positive engagement as pelosi on this issue, and pelosi is, rhetorically, trying and failing to catch up to AOC here. That cliche about "lead, follow, or get out of the way" is being very well illustrated. Half the time Pelosi follows and half the time she just stays in the way.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Hahahahahahaha this loving judge is angry.

quote:

If you were Facebook and an attorney for Facebook told me one thing, and then I read a press release from Mark Zuckerberg telling me something else, I would be demanding that Mark Zuckerberg appear in court with you the next time because I would be saying I don't think you speak for your client. I think I'm actually being really reasonable here and just saying I need a final answer by Friday at 2 p.m. or we're going forward. That's where we are. Because we've wasted a week. The Fourth Circuit sent this back to me with a promise from me that I would get it done, the discovery done in 45 days, a hearing, and then a decision, and they sent it back to me with that promise having been made. And we've lost seven days already with the back and forth, which, again, I don't blame anybody on this call for, but that's where we are.

So Friday, 2 p.m., we're going forward or we're resolving it. That's where we are.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Yep, we're back into clusterfucktownville on the Census case. Yay.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1146526700475301888?s=19

When are DoJ lawyers going to start resigning over this bullshit?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Best Friends posted:

It's hard to know if there is any validity to Twitter metrics on any level, but AOC gets 20x the positive engagement as pelosi on this issue, and pelosi is, rhetorically, trying and failing to catch up to AOC here. That cliche about "lead, follow, or get out of the way" is being very well illustrated. Half the time Pelosi follows and half the time she just stays in the way.

majority leader is kind of a shity name for what the actual job is which is, majority representative. If the caucus isn't there there's nothing to be done. If you want to find a bad guy you can look as far back as earmarks being tossed into the historical trash can.

If you want the Democratic majority to be more reactive go show up at some offices or make some phone calls. But the truth of the matter is, with this administration there's not a lot of leverage legally.

What would you have them do? And what authority would you have them do it under?

And if you say impeachment, I know right now that there are not enough votes for impeachment or that would already be happening.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Fallom posted:

Here's the problem, in tweet form.

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1146532624250417153?s=19

The careerists are basically hunkering down and being moral, avoiding whatever bullshit they can, because they fully intend to outlast the orange gently caress. They can generally do that, while having the political appointees at DOJ doing the shady poo poo.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Fallom posted:

When they can no longer parlay their five years with the doj into a six figure job at a white shoe firm.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

facialimpediment posted:

Here's the problem, in tweet form.

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1146532624250417153?s=19

The careerists are basically hunkering down and being moral, avoiding whatever bullshit they can, because they fully intend to outlast the orange gently caress. They can generally do that, while having the political appointees at DOJ doing the shady poo poo.

Is it really moral to continue to push the administration's agenda, even if they are shying away from the most egregious stuff? This isn't an indigent defendant, the moral course is to resign or refuse to participate in the blatant law-breaking until you're fired.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1146534388584390656

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

facialimpediment posted:

I AM PROUD OF MY JOB AND MY VEHICLE/TANK

I AM GLAD TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE AMERICAN PEOPLE

I WILL SMILE AND HAVE FUN

Raymond Shaw Donald Trump is the kindest, warmest, bravest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That hearing transcript is short. Go read the whole thing. It’s worth your time.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Raymond Shaw Donald Trump is the kindest, warmest, bravest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.

I'm here because I'd go to jail if I wasn't.

Hail Hydra.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Couldnt see anything confirming this but:

https://twitter.com/smotus/status/1146461895047569408

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

This seems a good place to point out that the navy is literally grounding an entire air wing and parking broken jets rather than fixing them for the next three months, after running out of money. Shockingly, ordering a service to increase its readiness without increasing the funding led to short term gains (as they burned through a year's worth of maintenance and flight money in nine months) in exchange for drastically impaired long-term results.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/28732/navy-may-slow-aviation-ops-due-to-budget-shortfall-as-it-ground-super-hornet-demo-team

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

This seems a good place to point out that the navy is literally grounding an entire air wing and parking broken jets rather than fixing them for the next three months, after running out of money. Shockingly, ordering a service to increase its readiness without increasing the funding led to short term gains (as they burned through a year's worth of maintenance and flight money in nine months) in exchange for drastically impaired long-term results.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/28732/navy-may-slow-aviation-ops-due-to-budget-shortfall-as-it-ground-super-hornet-demo-team

Could someone who knows about history, budgeting, and maintenance better than me explain why we were able to fight wars in both Korea and Vietnam while maintaining strategic nuclear and conventional capabilities at land and sea, but can't seem to keep our modern Airforce and Naval aircraft from literally falling apart in mid air during peacetime, all while somehow running the biggest defense budget since WWII?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Computers are sensitive and expensive.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

bird cooch posted:

majority leader is kind of a shity name for what the actual job is which is, majority representative. If the caucus isn't there there's nothing to be done. If you want to find a bad guy you can look as far back as earmarks being tossed into the historical trash can.

If you want the Democratic majority to be more reactive go show up at some offices or make some phone calls. But the truth of the matter is, with this administration there's not a lot of leverage legally.

What would you have them do? And what authority would you have them do it under?

And if you say impeachment, I know right now that there are not enough votes for impeachment or that would already be happening.

Pelosi has been extremely transparent on her impeachment views, and those views are not "I just don't have the votes." She is a leader, she can lead. She's not leading towards impeachment not because her hands are tied, but because she is against it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

So hey uh is that Iran crisis still going on or is that past our admin's attention span already?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yes, I know Captain Sternn Donald Trump. And never did there live a kinder, more generous man. He is an overflowing cup, filled with the very cream of human goodness. In all the time I've known him, he's never done anything immoral and he's never done anything illegal. He's always been a good, law-abiding citizen...

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

EBB posted:

So hey uh is that Iran crisis still going on or is that past our admin's attention span already?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1146517318509481984

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

psydude posted:

Could someone who knows about history, budgeting, and maintenance better than me explain why we were able to fight wars in both Korea and Vietnam while maintaining strategic nuclear and conventional capabilities at land and sea, but can't seem to keep our modern Airforce and Naval aircraft from literally falling apart in mid air during peacetime, all while somehow running the biggest defense budget since WWII?

We financed everything with debt and lies.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

Computers are sensitive and expensive.

Isn’t it more that there’s unlimited money for anything done within Afghanistan but 0 for anything else?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is it really moral to continue to push the administration's agenda, even if they are shying away from the most egregious stuff? This isn't an indigent defendant, the moral course is to resign or refuse to participate in the blatant law-breaking until you're fired.

Some people can't afford to quit their jobs that easily. It's fairly similar to how people won't leave their home in a war zone and become refugees as soon as conflicts break out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Some people can't afford to quit their jobs that easily. It's fairly similar to how people won't leave their home in a war zone and become refugees as soon as conflicts break out.

That may be true but I have infinite more slack reserved for the working class than for DoJ lawyers.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Department of Defense, welcome to #TheResistance

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

You realize we're talking about mostly GS-14/15s with law degrees here, right?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

joat mon posted:

Yes, I know Captain Sternn Donald Trump. And never did there live a kinder, more generous man. He is an overflowing cup, filled with the very cream of human goodness. In all the time I've known him, he's never done anything immoral and he's never done anything illegal. He's always been a good, law-abiding citizen...

I just want you to know I appreciate this reference

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You realize we're talking about mostly GS-14/15s with law degrees here, right?

He's a 15 making 162k and has another job teaching at George Washington Law School.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

”They are creating this thing from scratch, and I do not know if anyone knows how it will go off,” said another White House aide. “There are questions about the ticket distribution and who will show up. The weather might be bad. Heads are spinning.”

I take it back; now I do wish I was in DC for the 4th just so I could watch this thing crater hard.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's a Liberty Ship that was at D-Day,* so it's got a good amount of history to it.

*It is also the only ship that was at D-Day that's still afloat.

One was converted into a ferry and put into a ferry fleet in New London CT.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

psydude posted:

We had a higher tax rate on corporations and the rich.

:smugdon:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Iran's gonna get bitten LIKE A DOG!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Yeah I'm sort of tempted to go tbh. I won't, but I'm sort of tempted. knowing my luck I'd end up in the background of a picture on social media and forever be known as a maga.