Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1146506203696160769

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

Speaking of tanks, I'm a bit miffed about WAR's AoE rotation.

PLD now has Total Eclipse -> Prominence. Both are a 5y radius centered on your character.
DRK has Unleash -> Stalwart Soul. Both are a 5y radius centered on your character.
GUN has Demon Slice -> Demon Slaughter... Both of which a 5y radius centered on your character.

WAR has... Overpower (8y targetted cone in front of your character) -> Mythril Tempest (5y radius centered on your character).

-snip-

Overpower being a cone rather than a radius made sense as a tradeoff when PLD had Flash and Unleash was kinda meh damage-wise, but now I'm thinking Overpower should be radius centered on you and not a cone in front.

I'm not going all "THIS IS UNPLAYABLE" btw, it's a minor annoyance at best, but I play WAR so i'm really noticing it. :kiddo:
it's funny, I was just thinking that WAR is the tank that resonates the most with me because they have that cone instead of PBAoE. It feels so much better to pull with for me because of the range, instead of having to be in the middle of the pack first in order to hit them.

I realize this isn't the best time to be leveling tanks, but I've dabbled a bit with the different tanks in between my post-Stormblood MSQ questing (got DRK to 45 and WAR to 50, GNB still 60). The thing that stresses me out the most when tanking is probably pulling, especially with a PBAoE since the mobs often start spread out enough that you can't hit them all and then the DPS pull one each and it's just a mess to round them up. I know I'm bad at this but those seconds are just the worst :( Mobs in FFXIV can also be really slow to react to aggro change or movement, unlike what I'm used to in WoW where they follow right on your butt at all times.

Speaking of differences between the games, I've tried to figure out if you take more damage/can't dodge/can't parry/etc. from the side or back in FFXIV but it's kind of hard to tell. Is there anything like that in the game or is it fine if a mob is flanking you? Obviously you want the enemies clustered nicely in front for AoEing but is it an emergency if an enemy or two is hitting you in the butt?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

MechaX posted:

So I just reached the north part of the Eulmore region map and reached 78, just doing random quests at the moment.

The story has been pretty strong and solid so far, but without spoilers, when can I expect things to really start getting crazy here?

Every step from here on will be crazier than the last.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

can we unlock beast tribes yet? I don't even know who they would be other than some faeries maybe.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Cabbit posted:

Not just critical hits, but critical direct hits.

reassemble even guarantees direct crit on every hit of an aoe now, so burn it on a spread shot/auto crossbow if you're on a trash pack (doesn't affect bio blaster)

new reassemble is nutty

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So.... (post level 75 dungeon question) If Y'shtola is blind, how could she see the murals?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Arist posted:

Ha, just had one of the pettiest moments I've ever seen in this game. I accidentally let a tank die on one of the first pulls of the 73 dungeon, and he waits until right before he steps through the exit gate at the end to type "ffs learn to heal." Come back here you coward!

We had a guy (Warrior) in my first Titania run who got pissy and started giving us dps numbers and how bad we all were besides the Red Mage before leaving, even though he kept splitting the party at the dps check. He told us how much we suck and we would never do it, and how he was a "top-tier" raider. Then he left.

Then we beat it first try with a new tank :getin:

Thanks for the inspiration dickhead! :byewhore:

Zombeef
Feb 15, 2014

Your Computer posted:

I realize this isn't the best time to be leveling tanks, but I've dabbled a bit with the different tanks in between my post-Stormblood MSQ questing (got DRK to 45 and WAR to 50, GNB still 60). The thing that stresses me out the most when tanking is probably pulling, especially with a PBAoE since the mobs often start spread out enough that you can't hit them all and then the DPS pull one each and it's just a mess to round them up. I know I'm bad at this but those seconds are just the worst :( Mobs in FFXIV can also be really slow to react to aggro change or movement, unlike what I'm used to in WoW where they follow right on your butt at all times.

Since the Tank stance change, you basically only need to hit something once, and you will basically not lose aggro on it unless another tank is fighting you for aggro.

The most important thing to realize about aoes in this game is that the animation is a filthy lie. The aoe's range and targets are determined before the animation comes out, even though a lot of the animations kind of slide with you (easiest to see on DRK with unleash), but even though you slid the animation into the oncoming pack, you've probably missed them slightly & need to sit for a whole gcd to ensure your healer isn't in for a bad time. In general you want to hold off for about half a second as the pack collapses on you before you hit your aoe to make sure you tag everything.

quote:

Speaking of differences between the games, I've tried to figure out if you take more damage/can't dodge/can't parry/etc. from the side or back in FFXIV but it's kind of hard to tell. Is there anything like that in the game or is it fine if a mob is flanking you? Obviously you want the enemies clustered nicely in front for AoEing but is it an emergency if an enemy or two is hitting you in the butt?

You used to only be able to block/parry from the front, but it hasn't been that way since Stormblood. Since the change to how WAR's raw intuition functions there's no longer any situation in pve where incoming damage has any sort of flanking/rear bonuses. One of the other big differences between WoW & 14 you'll notice as a tank is, once an enemy has begun a backswing on an attack (whether it has a castbar/animation to indicate it or not), it will hit its original target. You cannot provoke a buster off another tank/party member once it has begun.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

We had a guy (Warrior) in my first Titania run who got pissy and started giving us dps numbers and how bad we all were besides the Red Mage before leaving, even though he kept splitting the party at the dps check. He told us how much we suck and we would never do it, and how he was a "top-tier" raider. Then he left.

Then we beat it first try with a new tank :getin:

Thanks for the inspiration dickhead! :byewhore:

A reminder it's totally kosher to report someone being an rear end in a top hat over outright dps numbers.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mordiceius posted:

So.... (post level 75 dungeon question) If Y'shtola is blind, how could she see the murals?

Remember that everything is made of Aether. She may not perceive them the same way we do, but she can see the energies in them, and how it differs from the surrounding rock. She could even tell how the murals in the Children of the Night's lair were of different ages by basically sensing how the paint in each mural was of different compositions

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Remember that everything is made of Aether. She may not perceive them the same way we do, but she can see the energies in them, and how it differs from the surrounding rock. She could even tell how the murals in the Children of the Night's lair were of different ages by basically sensing how the paint in each mural was of different compositions

She's basically a walking mass spectrometer, which is why she can't recognize you when you first arrive.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

for BLM, is it a good idea to move foul/xeno and/or thundercloud thunder into the Despair refresh window?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hey I’m just restarting on ps4 after playing ARR a bit but never really getting anywhere. I’ve just forgotten a few things-

1- should I be selling excess gear, disenchanting it (what is the word for it in ffxiv?) or what?

2- what crafter classes work well with arcanist/ I want to be a summoner eventually?

3- I’m in a server with that huge xp buff. I haven’t even left the city yet or been in combat and I’m like level 4. Should I save non main story quests for other jobs (I saw a bit of this online?) like when I have to level the thermatuge up to become a summoner?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

teacup posted:

Hey I’m just restarting on ps4 after playing ARR a bit but never really getting anywhere. I’ve just forgotten a few things-

1- should I be selling excess gear, disenchanting it (what is the word for it in ffxiv?) or what?

2- what crafter classes work well with arcanist/ I want to be a summoner eventually?

3- I’m in a server with that huge xp buff. I haven’t even left the city yet or been in combat and I’m like level 4. Should I save non main story quests for other jobs (I saw a bit of this online?) like when I have to level the thermatuge up to become a summoner?

Thaumaturge doesn't become summoner. Arcanist does.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

I'm pretty sure it looks exactly like the "aetheric" filter in the gpose options, based on one of the Alexander cutscenes. She can "see" but it's kind of awkward.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Vermain posted:

Yes, and it's loving infuriating. I seriously cannot wrap my head around what logic's driving them to do it, but it's making me grind my teeth every time I pop Presence + Thin Air and have half of their durations wasted because the lizard part of the tank's brain suddenly snapped on. Either pull everything or don't, dude! gently caress!!!

doing a new leveling dungeon for the first time it is hard to tell which groups are safe to big pull and which ones will murder you if you try. a tank might pull one group, go a few gcds before realizing "oh no, this is barely doing any damage, people are going to think i'm a single pulling scrub!" and then keep running

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Mordiceius posted:

it looks like that person read some old info, you used to have to level THM to 15 before you could unlock SMN

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?

Mordiceius posted:

I think he's referring to the olden days when you have to level another class to unlock a job, like Dragoon was 30 LNC 15 PUG if I remember right.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Has anyone else noticed tanks pulling like weirdos?

Most of my runs have been the tank will run up to a group, combo for 3 or 4 gcds, then abruptly run off to collect another.
I've done this a bit because I've had healers unable to handle double-pull damage so I used to hang around in a pack a bit longer than normal to see if they can potentially handle it before going off and getting more.
Now that I've run all the leveling dungeons a few times I know where good spots to double pull are regardless of healer skill.

I haven't bothered pulling wall to wall yet because the few times I've tried have ended horribly :shobon:

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Gishin posted:

I think he's referring to the olden days when you have to level another class to unlock a job, like Dragoon was 30 LNC 15 PUG if I remember right.

I didn’t realise it had changed!

Question still stands- should I save quests for alt jobs or is there enough these days that this doesn’t matter?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Just do the quests, the amount of exp isn't worth it to save before you get to ShB, and then you'll need all the exp you can get.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zombeef posted:

-bunch of info-

thank you, that's a lot of helpful advice :shobon: I really want to give tanking a proper try now with the tank changes, as it basically deals with everything I had a problem with previously (stance switching, tp, dps/enmity combos)

I mean, I still have to somehow get over the anxiety of tanking but gameplay-wise I really like how tanks play now!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

somepartsareme posted:

doing a new leveling dungeon for the first time it is hard to tell which groups are safe to big pull and which ones will murder you if you try. a tank might pull one group, go a few gcds before realizing "oh no, this is barely doing any damage, people are going to think i'm a single pulling scrub!" and then keep running

I don't think anyone except lunatics are expecting people to be doing mass pulls in leveling dungeons in the first week of an expansion's lifecycle. I'd rather people act in a way that's predictable enough for me to be able to plan around cooldown usage instead of doing single pack pulls until they decide to suddenly pull everything in an entire corridor at once.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Riftling posted:

Hypercharge on CD unless Wildfire is coming off CD soon. Spam Heat Blast while weaving alternating Gauss and Richochets in during overheat. Until you get some haste, you'll need to fit a normal attack in at the end of Overcharge to fully utilize Wildfire. MCH starts off feeling clunky, but eventually as you get used to it, the job has a really nice rhythm to it.

My biggest advice for new MCHs is to make sure to keep Drill and Air Anchor (when you get it) on CD and line it up with Reassemble whenever it comes off CD. Do not wait on Reassemble to use Drill. This leads into my only real gripe about the class: Drill consistently does the most damage out of all of your abilities while more mechanics intensive abilities like Wildfire and Queen Automaton are small portions of your DPS.

Then again, it's hard to complain about having a 700 potency attack on a 20s CD that you can force crits on. :v:

I find that the new rotation centers around Drill and Air Anchor and keeping them on cd. Hypercharge and Wildfire only when they're both on cd and not coming off it soon. It feels really weird not centering my entire rotation around Wildfire, and it's something I still have to actively fight against in my brain.

My main gripes with new MCH have to do with battery:
1) Wish there was an AoE use for battery. Currently it's all ST. My boy Bishop Autoturret died for this.
2) Wish there was a noise for 100 battery gauge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vermain posted:

I don't think anyone except lunatics are expecting people to be doing mass pulls in leveling dungeons in the first week of an expansion's lifecycle. I'd rather people act in a way that's predictable enough for me to be able to plan around cooldown usage instead of doing single pack pulls until they decide to suddenly pull everything in an entire corridor at once.

I had a tank demand I do wall-to-wall healing pulls my very first time in the level 69 dungeon.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

My main gripes with new MCH have to do with battery:

i at least like how flexible the battery gauge is. damage scales linearly from 50-100 so it doesn't matter when you dump it, just whenever is most convenient for your rotation/raid buffs

sure it kinda means there's no huge benefit to managing it up to 100 but i think it works well in tandem with being able to hypercharge whenever is convenient, too. if the new main goal is to keep drill and air anchor rolling consistently, it's good to not have to micromanage the two meters as well

.......except barrel stabilizer...............

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

i at least like how flexible the battery gauge is. damage scales linearly from 50-100 so it doesn't matter when you dump it, just whenever is most convenient for your rotation/raid buffs

sure it kinda means there's no huge benefit to managing it up to 100 but i think it works well in tandem with being able to hypercharge whenever is convenient, too

Barrel Stabilizer is the new Perfect Balance. Everything old is new again.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I had a tank demand I do wall-to-wall healing pulls my very first time in the level 69 dungeon.

Yeah my bigger issue as I've been leveling WHM from 70 is tanks that assume they can still wall-to-wall the dungeons, and then folding like a wet paper sack because they mismanage cooldowns or miss gimmicks (e.g. the interruptable buff on the little dudes in the level 73 dungeon).

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I've done this a bit because I've had healers unable to handle double-pull damage so I used to hang around in a pack a bit longer than normal to see if they can potentially handle it before going off and getting more.
Now that I've run all the leveling dungeons a few times I know where good spots to double pull are regardless of healer skill.

I haven't bothered pulling wall to wall yet because the few times I've tried have ended horribly :shobon:

I’ve had tanks in my leveling dungeons pull like assholes and then go “wow great job!” when they didn’t die, and my first thought was to wonder what they said to the healers who didn’t cut it.

Also the tank I had for the 80 dungeon that pulled wall to wall and even got himself killed because I was looking at the cool poo poo instead of speed running the place can go gently caress himself. There’s a time for doing that poo poo, and the day of launch after early access in dungeon finder isn’t the loving time. I know there was a lot of cool poo poo I didn’t get to notice with all the crazy visuals there because I had to keep up with Mr. GDQ.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Alright, sounds like there are a handful of people that might be interested. Anyone have name suggestions for a cross-world Aether LS?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Barrel Stabilizer is the new Perfect Balance. Everything old is new again.

and just leave free damage lying on the table like that?? :supaburn:

(haven't played since you mentioned it last, gonna try not windmill slamming barrel stabilizer every time it's up tonight)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kaubocks posted:

sure it kinda means there's no huge benefit to managing it up to 100 but i think it works well in tandem with being able to hypercharge whenever is convenient, too. if the new main goal is to keep drill and air anchor rolling consistently, it's good to not have to micromanage the two meters as well

I admit i only casually lurk the mch balance but don't you want at least 80 battery for rook or 100 for queen due to animation warmup

Mormon Mother
Jan 23, 2008
Self diagnosed!

Kerrzhe posted:

does having more beast gauge still give extra crit chance? or is that just gone?

It's gone, no more bonus parry or crit

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I was joking about it actually being good, but I assumed it'd be like Dhit for healers: you don't get it on gear, but it does technically work if you meld it.

SMN just feels super busy, like I'm constantly dropping plates and more keep falling from the sky. It detracts from the really cool stuff, like how awesome pulling phoenix out is and just blowing poo poo up, because you have to keep doing some of those OGCD things while you're in trances (as far as I can tell)

SMN definitely feels like it could use one less mechanic in it, either the aetherflow system or the pet control one. I'm thinking fester isnt long for this world if they expand further on the pet aspect next expansion.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Firstborn posted:

I missed the Noctis events by days. If they put the car and gear up on Mogstation I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Do they usually do that eventually with event stuff?
The coat and hand piece are nice but the pants and boots are eh and the cat is hideous

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

teacup posted:

I didn’t realise it had changed!

Question still stands- should I save quests for alt jobs or is there enough these days that this doesn’t matter?
Quests are good XP per time investment, so do them whenever. They're best on your first job because you don't have the Armoury XP bonus for doing everything that isn't a quest, but in ShB areas Fate's are also really good to do in order to get nifty things (and all quests are level synced 70+.)

I tooled around a bit doing some aethercurrent quests in the final zone on a 70 because I didn't want that XP to go to waste :v:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I admit i only casually lurk the mch balance but don't you want at least 80 battery for rook or 100 for queen due to animation warmup

startup was taken into account with the math. it doesn't matter; damage scales linearly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

SMN definitely feels like it could use one less mechanic in it, either the aetherflow system or the pet control one. I'm thinking fester isnt long for this world if they expand further on the pet aspect next expansion.

Yeah, to be honest, it's such a weird mishmash.

I honestly think they should just dump the aetherflow system and focus more on pet attack weaving. I know it's a legacy thing but it really doesn't fit the class. As it stands you could just put Fester/Pain on a cooldown/charge system and nothing would change.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Do not use the car please ok thank you

CYBEReris posted:

for BLM, is it a good idea to move foul/xeno and/or thundercloud thunder into the Despair refresh window?
As much as possible use your non-Fire spells during Umbral Ice so that you can most efficiently use your MP regen ticks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Zerilan posted:

Alright, sounds like there are a handful of people that might be interested. Anyone have name suggestions for a cross-world Aether LS?

Decongestant? :v: