Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

Let me ask you guys this for some perspective. What would a successful month look like to you? What would a successful thread look like to you this time around?

For July-August I would like to see you get into a residence without using a bunch of credit for all the random expenses that get incurred.

For any month in general, I would like to see 1) realistic budgeting 2) spending to the budget 3) responsible use of credit.

A successful thread would end with all the debt paid off and a down payment for a house saved up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Knyteguy posted:

I'll be selling the truck as soon as I can. I liked the used minivan idea actually. I could gut that sumbitch and make it into a sick sleeper (joking):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7whbkC2yAM&t=342s

Bankruptcy won't work in our situation. We make too much money and don't have enough debt. (<= $7,700 in discretionary/'disposable' income over 5 years, and/or (?) under the median wage for a household in your area).

I am applying for jobs.

That's why I'm here. Also we didn't get the apartment to save money, what are you referring to? The apartment is going to cost a shitload and I'm not looking forward to it; it would have required much less discipline to meet our goals without it (at the cost of risk and mental well-being).

I was reading Tuyop posts (from within the past monthish maybe) about being like $-35,000 when he started his thread in 2011 and now being worth $140,000. I don't know how much of that is house net worth, but that really loving tells me I need to do this right this time. We could have been in a similar situation now, but I wasn't ready to make the hard changes needed and frankly 'life was good' and we made some bad choices because there's always tomorrow. Reading zaurg's thread is helping me too; some poo poo in there resonates with me.

Thanks, good call. I cancelled a ton of old marketing emails. Baby steps, but something.

I'm working on the budget. $2,400 is needed to just move in so we don't have a ton of room to work with this month.

Quick small question: should we budget for a club membership at Costco or Sam's Club? As Droo mentioned we haven't been able to buy in bulk for awhile so we haven't given it much thought. I know Costco can turn into a 'how the gently caress is my bill so high' type of place, so I don't know if that should be avoided or what. I understand this is trying to plug a dam with a finger type of stuff, but I'm trying to make the budget and want to get it right.

I have no idea how Tuyop is calculating his net worth. I would suggest that you add $100k of debt to your calculations - this is the amount of money AT MINIMUM you should have in retirement accounts right now. Carefully read Z's thread re: retirement, it should scare the gently caress out of you that you are so far behind. How much money would you need to start stuffing away right now to have ~$200k in your retirement accounts at 40? You need to factor this into your budget.

The asking about memberships is part of the spend money now to save some unknown money in the future. Just like all the computer buying poo poo you did in your last thread to save some unknown future money, it's a terrible habit you need to break.

I think it's a mistake to move into the apartment. I think the odds of getting busted are very slim, it would have happened by now. You could easily find out what happens if you do get busted, but I'd guess you get ~30 days to vacate. Take that savings and plow it into the RV so you can rid yourself of it right now. I'm guessing you're severely overestimating the value of the trailer in the used market. My family was looking at trailers for a hot minute, and like new used trailers go for ~25% less than the new price. You've put a lot of wear and tear onto yours, so I think you'd be lucky to get 50% of the new price.

The only spending I can see as justifiable right now is paying someone to punch up your resume & cover letter. It may be worth doing some interview coaching as well.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Knyteguy posted:

Let me ask you guys this for some perspective. What would a successful month look like to you? What would a successful thread look like to you this time around?

Don't ask me. A successful thread a year from now to me would have been you having stayed in your RV, paid it and your truck off, then selling the RV and then getting that apartment and having a positive net worth from the RV sale (even if it was a relatively small amount from the sale).

But now you've jacked up your monthly spend in an unalterable way, will end up spending a bunch of money to furnish an apartment to a liveable degree, and have probably pushed back your ability to get to zero net worth by at least a couple of years, if not more.

One thing I've noticed from the Zaurg thread - Goons seem to love taking people with financial difficulty and telling them to move, even when the place they are living in now (even if for a short period) is essentially their greatest financial asset. Zaurg's move was absolutely stupid, and it wasn't just because of Zaurg. It was bad advice. I'm not convinced you giving up living rent free for a year (even if it is a difficult situation) is the smartest thing you could have done. I also have no idea why some Goons were obsessing over you being in technical violation of some zoning ordinance for living there - no one was going to ever do anything about it, and even if they did, it would have been "You have to move within 60 days" or something similar. But it's done now.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 3, 2019

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The most important thing you could do to fix your finances is to go back in the past and not make so many stupid choices. The second best thing is to mitigate the damages. Getting into an apartment is a good first step (ouch, that monthly!) but you really need to relieve yourself of your truck and RV debt. I'd personally declare bankruptcy and start with a clean slate (after buying a cheap Camry or w/e with cash) so you can start saving for your retirement.

You have no real plan here, no real budget, just a bunch of guesses and feelings. Lock that poo poo down, stop being emotional about your things. That RV was fun while you used it, but it's time to move on. Your son deserves better.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Have they cashed the deposit check yet? There is still time to bail. Read the contract.

The minute people said spend money KG jumped at the opportunity. I think KG has some of the worst financial impulse control out of any of the biz/fin superstars.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

n8r posted:

Have they cashed the deposit check yet? There is still time to bail. Read the contract.

The minute people said spend money KG jumped at the opportunity. I think KG has some of the worst financial impulse control out of any of the biz/fin superstars.

He's doing the right thing the wrong way. His kid legally isn't allowed to attend school in that district, and it's not reasonable to expect his entire family + pets to reside in an RV or tiny bedroom at his mom's house.

April
Jul 3, 2006

n8r posted:

Yeah, this is just like the old thread, when it was suggested that his house was too expensive, so he knee-jerked and moved into a tiny lovely apartment with a pregnant wife & 5 pets, then when he realized he was miserable in a tiny apartment with a pregnant wife & 5 pets, he broke the lease which he hadn't read and ended up paying a poo poo-ton in fees. Then he moved into a house & promptly spent a bunch in lawn care equipment to get a break on rent (in like December or something), lived there for a few months, and hosed himself with the RV on a whim.

In other words, he's probably already bought a bunch of poo poo to save money on his apartment.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Nocheez posted:

He's doing the right thing the wrong way. His kid legally isn't allowed to attend school in that district, and it's not reasonable to expect his entire family + pets to reside in an RV or tiny bedroom at his mom's house.

That's exactly what they have been doing. I thought his kid was 4? Is he going into Kindergarten this year? If he could hold off for another three months, he could pay the RV down to the point where he could sell it. Now he's kicked that can pretty far down the road.

Honestly, they've probably already missed out on prime RV selling time. I bet the hot time to sell an RV is spring when the weather gets nice.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
You guys are giving me a lot to chew on. I have to work and there's good discussion going on.

We have not paid our deposit yet. We can back out without penalty until Friday when we give a deposit. The ramifications of backing out means that our worst case scenario of living in a bedroom could come true; I don't think they'd work with us again and as I mentioned it was a bitch to find someone who would. Now with that said I think the city defines living in an RV as having sewer and water hookups; we have neither. I need to double check, but I have some time to do so.

I have to get some work done. Here's a quick "should I/shouldn't I" move into an apartment: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1bM6PHhhKS7eW58XNs6LICQRQhWKuuu53PS_WLktBBtA/

Pros/Cons:

RV:

Pros:
- Rent Free
- Convenient for KGKid
- Good for dogs (they have a yard they run around in all day)
- Familiar/known
- Safer from job loss
- Convenient for KGWife/JO
- Family
- Easy babysitting
- More fun money while doing more with our goals
- Get out of debt more quickly
- Mobility if needed
- Cheap utilities
- No furniture needed
- I can use my grill

Cons:
- lovely bed
- No running water without going inside
- No bathroom
- A/C can overload electric system
- Bad internet (though it got better)
- Shared laundry between 7 people
- KGKid has to be quieter than would be normal
- Catboxes in small area
- More fire risk
- PC gets beat up
- We have to monitor our power usage
- Hard to be intimate
- Against zoning code
- Personal space limited
- Hard to meal plan due to small fridge/pantry
- lovely oven
- Adds more wear and tear
- Potentially unstable
- Family
- Pain in the rear end to keep good hygiene due to shared bathroom situation.

Worst Case Scenario: city finds out/something happens, have to live inside.

Apartment

Pros:
- Get rid of storage unit
- Free gigabit internet
- Personal space
- KGKid has his own room
- More privacy
- Gym
- Pool
- Air conditioner
- Dish washer
- Personal laundry
- Our own mailing address
- Larger fridge/pantry
- Less stress on the family
- 2 bathrooms
- Centrally located
- More hobby space
- Regain independence
- Normal
- More comfortable bed
- Near river
- Host people
- Cheap grocery store nearby
- Near KGWife/JO's work
- More control over habitat
- No family

Cons:
- Sets us back a 11+ months
- Need emergency fund urgently
- Less fun money
- Have to buy furniture
- Commute time is roughly the same for KGWife/JO due to KGKid's daycare being across town
- Close neighbors
- High rent
- No family
- Cost of moving
- Can't grill
- Guest parking sucks

Worst Case Scenario: lose two jobs and get stuck with a ton of debt and get evicted

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

April posted:

Yeah, this is just like the old thread, when it was suggested that his house was too expensive, so he knee-jerked and moved into a tiny lovely apartment with a pregnant wife & 5 pets, then when he realized he was miserable in a tiny apartment with a pregnant wife & 5 pets, he broke the lease which he hadn't read and ended up paying a poo poo-ton in fees. Then he moved into a house & promptly spent a bunch in lawn care equipment to get a break on rent (in like December or something), lived there for a few months, and hosed himself with the RV on a whim.

In other words, he's probably already bought a bunch of poo poo to save money on his apartment.

I lived in that house for 3 years April, not a few months lol. We cut rent by $400/mo for 36 months for the price of maybe $500 in lawn equipment. That was a good way to spend my time and a bit of money to cut costs; I can say that with certainty.

Moving into that apartment was a terrible idea though, you're right. This is not a lovely apartment though.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Your pros/cons list is greatly altered by the amount of time you need to do this, if you don't continue to spend like a dipshit and pay stuff off. Remember, you can pay this poo poo off in a year or under, if you're not paying rent. So I have added some comments to your pros/cons list:

Knyteguy posted:

Pros/Cons:

RV:

Pros:
- Rent Free - Every penny of which can go to pay off the RV and Truck
- Convenient for KGKid - Good for kid is good
- Good for dogs (they have a yard they run around in all day) - I'm kind of a believer that people who are financially hosed up should not own cash sinks like dogs, but you already have them, so this is good I guess
- Familiar/known - Not sure this matters, but okay
- Safer from job loss - It is definitely safer - if you lost your job (or got a better job) in the next year, you're not trying to get out of a lease with the attendant bullshit penalties every greedy landlord will put on you
- Convenient for KGWife/JO
- Family - People really underestimate the value of having close family nearby to help, even if that family is hosed up
- Easy babysitting - See above
- More fun money while doing more with our goals - Please for the love of god don't say this or think this
- Get out of debt more quickly - Not just more quickly, like in a year or less, unless you are stupid
- Mobility if needed - Kind of already have this covered above in my comments
- Cheap utilities - See comment on Rent Free - same comment applies
- No furniture needed - See comment on Rent Free - same comment applies
- I can use my grill - I can't really complain about this, as it is a pleasure that is pretty cost-neutral (you have to cook - if you already have the grill, it's pretty cost neutral)

Cons:
- lovely bed - For a year or less
- No running water without going inside - For a year or less - people routinely live like this in non-first world countries
- No bathroom - For a year or less
- A/C can overload electric system - Somehow people survive some of the worst climates in the world for their entire lives without A/C - you can probably make it for a year or less
- Bad internet (though it got better) - Oh no, not that, anything but that
- Shared laundry between 7 people - Welcome to living in an apartment with a shared laundry room - this is not abnormal to deal with
- KGKid has to be quieter than would be normal - For a year or less, and you're probably overstating this a bit
- Catboxes in small area - Cats become free range cats (see also, comments about dogs)
- More fire risk - Huh? I don't really think this even moves the needle
- PC gets beat up - Oh dear - your PC gets beat up and obsolete every time you turn it on and another day passes
- We have to monitor our power usage - This seems simple enough
- Hard to be intimate - This is probably good, as you really don't need another kid
- Against zoning code - No one cares. They really don't. The only reason this is ever going to be an issue is if you piss someone off and they rat you out. Don't be that guy, and you'll be fine. Even if you aren't, then you just go find a place to live
- Personal space limited - For a year or less
- Hard to meal plan due to small fridge/pantry - This is pretty weak - you're being asked to live a year or less like any 20 something in a lovely apartment. Plenty of those 20 somethings manage to do this and raise a child
- lovely oven - Also pretty weak
- Adds more wear and tear - This is utterly negligible. The wear and tear is from owning it and having time pass. It's already done
- Potentially unstable - Too vague to be meaningul
- Family - Too vague to be meaningful
- Pain in the rear end to keep good hygiene due to shared bathroom situation - Also a pain in the rear end to keep your breath smelling fresh when you eat catfood at age 70.

Worst Case Scenario: city finds out/something happens, have to live inside.

Apartment

Pros:
- Get rid of storage unit - You can get rid of the storage unit now. Get rid of poo poo you don't need
- Free gigabit internet - It's not free. You pay for it.
- Personal space - You can have the same personal space in a year, without it being as devastating for the last 30-40 years of your life
- KGKid has his own room - He'll live for a year - most kids do
- More privacy - You are literally repeating the same "better quality of living" comment in about 8 different ways here. These aren't all pros. It's one pro, and it's an expensive pro
- Gym - Outside - walk/run/body weight exercises
- Pool - Outside - walk/run/body weight exercises, go to the public pool every once in a while
- Air conditioner - See comment above on A/C
- Dish washer - You have two hands
- Personal laundry - See comment above on laundry
- Our own mailing address - Get a P.O. Box
- Larger fridge/pantry - See comment above on this
- Less stress on the family - More stress on family from having junior wonder if dad will be sucking dick for $20s behind the 7-11 to avoid going bankrupt
- 2 bathrooms - Yay, how many are at the house you're at now?
- Centrally located - Come on dude - you literally work from home
- More hobby space - Please don't talk about indulgences like this, we're talking about a year or less for you to get your poo poo in order and not be destitute
- Regain independence - You're not regaining your independence. Independent people are not at risk of being bankrupt from a single bad life event
- Normal - Way too vague to be useful
- More comfortable bed - Jesus christ
- Near river - For gently caress's sake
- Host people - Good loving lord
- Cheap grocery store nearby - I want to stab you now
- Near KGWife/JO's work - See comment above
- More control over habitat - Where do you live, and is there a cutlery store nearby
- No family - I too hate people who save me money and do things for me

Cons:
- Sets us back a 11+ months - More than this, honestly
- Need emergency fund urgently - Yeah, as well as some measure of financial independence, instead of pretend financial independence while you are heavily underwater
- Less fun money - This really isn't a con for you
- Have to buy furniture - Further into the negative net worth hole
- Commute time is roughly the same for KGWife/JO due to KGKid's daycare being across town
- Close neighbors - Sucks, but whatever
- High rent - Uh, yeah. Could really say, "Paying rent versus not paying rent."
- No family - Yes
- Cost of moving - Further into the negative net worth hole
- Can't grill - Um, okay. You really loves you some grilling
- Guest parking sucks - Not even gonna

Worst Case Scenario: lose two jobs and get stuck with a ton of debt and get evicted

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SlyFrog posted:

Your pros/cons list is greatly altered by the amount of time you need to do this, if you don't continue to spend like a dipshit and pay stuff off. Remember, you can pay this poo poo off in a year or under, if you're not paying rent. So I have added some comments to your pros/cons list:

I don't remember you from the last thread, but I like your drat attitude. The pro/con was more for my wife and I and more free-writing (not all points are weighed equally) but I wanted to throw the info out there.

More fun money is like, $100/mo and maybe some more gas to go see my wife's family in Sactown sometimes. Or a new gaming PC every month due to the wear and tear.

Code breaking stuff:

quote:

The warning details the County Code violation (or violations) and provides actions which must be taken to correct the violation (or violations). The CEO will allow no more than 30 calendar days to correct the code violation (or violations). A person may contact the CEO orally or in writing to request an extension of time to comply with the warning.

The CEO may only grant an extension of time request if there has been demonstrated progress in correcting the code violation (or violations) or if there are extenuating circumstances which prevent a person from achieving code compliance. The CEO will work with the person to develop a compliance plan with time frames for any granted extensions. If the code violation (or violations) is not corrected by the date shown on the warning, or within the time frame from a granted extension, the CEO will issue an administrative penalty notice.

The first administrative penalty notice results in an automatic penalty of $100. The code violation (or violations) must still be corrected. Payment of the $100 penalty within 30 calendar days allows the County to accept one-half of the payment ($50) as payment in full. Penalties not paid within the 30 calendar days will be turned over to the Washoe County Collections Office. The Collections Office will include a required $50 collections fee to the full penalty amount of $100, both of which must be paid by the person who received the administrative penalty notice. The Collections Office may also charge additional fees and/or interest and impose other collection remedies. A person may appeal the administrative penalty notice within the 30 day payment period. Appeals are made directly to the Administrative Hearing Office and information is provided on the administrative penalty notice on how to contact the Hearing Office (see section below on Administrative Hearings)

This is for the county not the city; I'd guess it's roughly the same though.

I can try to declare my mother as infirm; they allow an RV residence outside of a SFH when that's the case (joking, sorta).

I kind of want an apartment, but I don't really give a poo poo guys. My son is happy; he hangs out in the living room with his cousins and sleeps in here. My wife is fine we've basically been doing this for 18 months. I bear the brunt of the inconvenience but even that's fine. I don't want to live in a drat bedroom, but my sister does it and it's fine. I'd frankly prefer to get this loving debt out from underneath us by putting our nose the whatever it's called and just working through it, than live more cozily for a year and still have the debt. If we loving grind we can get my son into a school district by this time next year; just in time for his first year at school.

Anyway like I said I have to chew on the discussion previous to this. Not trying to bypass the meaningful behavior changes.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 3, 2019

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

I lived in that house for 3 years April, not a few months lol. We cut rent by $400/mo for 36 months for the price of maybe $500 in lawn equipment. That was a good way to spend my time and a bit of money to cut costs; I can say that with certainty.

Moving into that apartment was a terrible idea though, you're right. This is not a lovely apartment though.

"I make a lot of knee jerk decisions but THIS ONE TIME it didn't bite me in the rear end." And let's not forget that any advantage to that house was immediately undone by the idiotic RV/truck combo. You started making progress, then decided that you needed to borrow 70k at ridiculous interest rates to run away from home.

Once again, you kind-of sort-of decide that something new sounds good, so you immediately jump into it and retroactively come up with a bunch of reasons that you *HAD* to.

PS - I'm pretty sure you said in the last thread that the landlord cut the rent by $200 for cutting grass, not $400.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Alright, so I'm going to attempt some math to compare the two decisions wrt getting out of debt to complete the information.

Asset Values:

RV MSRP New = $27,000
50% value = $13,500. Let's say it's worth $10,000. It's only 2 years old, structurally sound (with some cosmetic damage), I have all maintenance records, no mold or water damage, and no I don't smoke in it, it has upgrades like a roof mounted cell booster, a 43" flat screen smart television with a full motion mount, an upgraded bathroom fan, a high pressure shower head, two 1500 watt inverter generators that could come along with it, a Progressive Industries 30-amp electrical management system/EMS, a 50 gallon water bladder, leveling blocks, hoses, water filters, a reinforced bumper, hitch locks, and a weight distribution hitch/sway bar assembly. It's a bunk house which is desirable. That should be the absolute low end for this. We could re-foam the couches and quickly and easily add more value as well.

Loan: $19,255.

Difference: $9,255

---

Truck Value: Blue book says $36,000. Let's call it $30,000 after everything is said and done.
Loan: $44,726

Difference: $14,726. Call it $15,000.

Apartment RV Sell Date:
If we get the apartment, and get it 1:1 LTV, that would be about November 2019 making $3,100 in total debt payments (current minimums + what we can throw extra). Due to the absolutely necessary emergency fund, furniture, and move in fees (deposits, gas) in an apartment I have to add 3 more months according to my budget. Figure 2+ months selling since as n8r said it's likely the slow season during the winter (adds to LTV but @ $375/mo).

February 2020 at a minimum to get it off the books. Call it March 2020 (Spring time the market will get hot again).

Mom's Backyard RV Out of Debt Date:
We cannot sell this if we live in it, obviously. That means we have $10,000 of additional principal to pay off ($19,255). The RV gets paid off here in December, 2019. Sell date: nebulous.

Apartment Sell Truck Date:
December 2019 is when the truck would start getting the additional principal, albeit slightly less due to $375 * 3 that would need to be subtracted for the following 3 months whilst the RV is being sold. I'm ignoring the student loans for now just to keep this a little easier. Let's just say we keep paying down the RV principal to keep it easy and to make sure we can eat any unexpected lower sale value.

February 2020 -> $2,638/mo towards the truck (again including our monthly minimum as that's what my tool includes). I'm calling it the full principal because it keeps this estimate conservative. But really 6 months of minimum payments would be off the principal.

1,868 principal + (755-197 [interest around that time]) = $2,426 in principal down payment per month, ignoring dropping interest. 6.5 months roughly.

August 2020 = Truck can be sold. 2 months to sell = October 2020.

The lease is 13 months = September 2020.

Out of debt date: October, 2020. 1 month student loans = November 2020.

Mom's Backyard RV Sell Truck Date

December 2019 the RV is paid off, January 2020 is when we could put $4,766 - $87 [student loans] - $197 [interest] = $4,482 in principal. $15,000 / 4,482 = 3.35 months. April 2020.

1 month student loans = May 2020.

Down Payment Apartment:

We need to save $20,000 total. @ $3,100 = 6.5 months.

November 2020 + 6.5 months = May/June 2021.

Down Payment RV:

We have the RV @ $9,000 (to be conservative). Down payment = $20,000 needed, halfway there when we sell RV. 3 months @ $4766 gives us that figure. August 2020.

If we live in the RV we can be out of debt in: May, 2020
If we live in the apartment we can be out of debt in: November, 2020.

6 months difference. The down payment is where it really starts to add up.

There's a new used car in there somewhere because we're not awesome enough to bicycle. I have some poo poo I can sell like a campground membership, my drums, and a dirt bike.

Apartment regular budget after $3,700 emergency fund, furniture, deposits, move in fees, and new expenses (remember, 3 months to get regular to get to the debt paydown):

Mom's backyard special budget:

Difference b/w the two:
Utilities $175 -> 30
Rent: $1,490 -> 0
Renter's Insurance: $15 -> 0
November -> July

Now tell me why I'm dumb and wrong and bad at math (before Friday please). That was difficult to type out so there must be some mistakes or misunderstandings.

April posted:

"I make a lot of knee jerk decisions but THIS ONE TIME it didn't bite me in the rear end." And let's not forget that any advantage to that house was immediately undone by the idiotic RV/truck combo. You started making progress, then decided that you needed to borrow 70k at ridiculous interest rates to run away from home.

Once again, you kind-of sort-of decide that something new sounds good, so you immediately jump into it and retroactively come up with a bunch of reasons that you *HAD* to.

PS - I'm pretty sure you said in the last thread that the landlord cut the rent by $200 for cutting grass, not $400.

My knee jerk decisions are on like a 1:15 ratio of success:failure thank you very much. But yeah it may have been $200. It was worth it though. Was a nice hobby too.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 3, 2019

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

My knee jerk decisions are on like a 1:15 ratio of success:failure thank you very much. But yeah it may have been $200. It was worth it though. Was a nice hobby too.

I told myself I wasn't going to engage in a Knyteguy thread again, but the fact that you think you've had any success and that you called mowing your lawn at a rental a "hobby" made me post.

You're in more debt than you were 7 years ago and have basically made 0 progress towards your goals, but yeah you have a 1:15 success:failure ratio. It's probably 0:100.

Current Debt in 2011: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3425957
2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - $10,500 @ ~7% APR
Credit Card in Collections - $3795
Current Credit Cart - $1300.00 @ 16% APR
Television - $675.00 @ 0% APR for 3 years
Family Member - $3,000 @ 0% APR (My wife borrowed from her Grandma for a study abroad trip to Japan last year)
Misc. Collections - $500.00
Total: $19,770

Current Debt in 2019:
La numeros de los "debt":
Truck - $45,341.66 @ 5.62%
RV - $19,394.64 @ 17.75% (ouch)
Student Loan 1 - $1,836.01 @ 6.55%
Student Loan 2 - $1,338.46 @ 3.15%
Total: $67,910

Congratulations in 8 years you've lost $50k! Also let's forget leading up to your 2011 debacle you said:

"Did I mentioned I blew $89,000? I was awarded this amount in a lawsuit. I bought an Infiniti G-35, went to Thailand to train Muay Thai, and lost about $20,000 that I invested in stocks in 2007. >_<... Yea, I'm terrible with money."

So in total you've lost $150,000 in the last 10 years? I think that's 0 success.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

I told myself I wasn't going to engage in a Knyteguy thread again, but the fact that you think you've had any success and that you called mowing your lawn at a rental a "hobby" made me post.

You're in more debt than you were 7 years ago and have basically made 0 progress towards your goals, but yeah you have a 1:15 success:failure ratio. It's probably 0:100.

Current Debt in 2011: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3425957
2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - $10,500 @ ~7% APR
Credit Card in Collections - $3795
Current Credit Cart - $1300.00 @ 16% APR
Television - $675.00 @ 0% APR for 3 years
Family Member - $3,000 @ 0% APR (My wife borrowed from her Grandma for a study abroad trip to Japan last year)
Misc. Collections - $500.00
Total: $19,770

Current Debt in 2019:
La numeros de los "debt":
Truck - $45,341.66 @ 5.62%
RV - $19,394.64 @ 17.75% (ouch)
Student Loan 1 - $1,836.01 @ 6.55%
Student Loan 2 - $1,338.46 @ 3.15%
Total: $67,910

Congratulations in 8 years you've lost $50k! Also let's forget leading up to your 2011 debacle you said:

"Did I mentioned I blew $89,000? I was awarded this amount in a lawsuit. I bought an Infiniti G-35, went to Thailand to train Muay Thai, and lost about $20,000 that I invested in stocks in 2007. >_<... Yea, I'm terrible with money."

So in total you've lost $150,000 in the last 10 years? I think that's 0 success.

Don't forget the emergency appendectomy while uninsured that cost $22,000 while I was unemployed, and that my job didn't start for another 3 months after that postish IIRC and paid less than minimum wage for 6 day 14 hour/day work weeks. And that every job I could find had 100+ applicants. Shortly following that was the top ramen days, followed by the $10/hr software development days (20 hours a week). If you think my finances were better then I don't know what to say. Poverty/near poverty sucks and the recession loving sucked; guess who invested a lot into the formerly 'always safe' AIG? Use the big thread that was previous to this one if you want to make me look stupid. That's where we hosed up; when we could afford to eat and even had some spare money every month.

And yeah mowing/tending my lawn and yard was a hobby for the first year. We also planted a small garden.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Apartment move in budget rough draft:

Note that I would absolutely try to save less on furniture. i.e.: thrift stores. But especially stuff like my kid's mattress/frame that is needed. We checked big lots yesterday and a frame is $40, a mattress is about $100 on Amazon. No we haven't bought anything yet.

I'm about $300 under actual income here because my wife's paycheck doesn't have pre-tax insurance/401k deductions in yet. So that would go to the e-fund ($400 instead of $100).

Also note that this may take a few more iterations to be perfect. We're pretty sure on the groceries; our spending average for groceries for the past 1.5 years is $493/mo. That's about all we'll spend until the budget is 100%. And gas.

I'm waiting for some feedback on the math post before making a decision whether to move into a place or not.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Don't forget the emergency appendectomy while uninsured that cost $22,000 while I was unemployed, and that my job didn't start for another 3 months after that postish IIRC and paid less than minimum wage for 6 day 14 hour/day work weeks. And that every job I could find had 100+ applicants. Shortly following that was the top ramen days, followed by the $10/hr software development days (20 hours a week). If you think my finances were better then I don't know what to say. Poverty/near poverty sucks and the recession loving sucked; guess who invested a lot into the formerly 'always safe' AIG? Use the big thread that was previous to this one if you want to make me look stupid. That's where we hosed up; when we could afford to eat and even had some spare money every month.

And yeah mowing/tending my lawn and yard was a hobby for the first year. We also planted a small garden.

I typed and deleted about 10 replies to this.

Your total debt to monthly income ratio has actually gotten worse since "the worst point in your life", so there's that.

$19,770 total debt / $2,848 per month income = 6.9
$67,910 total debt / $6,835 per month income = 9.9

But I guess since you just look at minimum payments and living in your parents backyard you're doing great.

EDIT: Also you just budgeted $150 for bar chairs while being $70k in medium interest debt. I can't. I go back to my original post. Good luck Knyteguy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
tag urself, i'm $30/mo on vaping vs $10/mo on hygiene

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

I typed and deleted about 10 replies to this.

Your total debt to monthly income ratio has actually gotten worse since "the worst point in your life", so there's that.

$19,770 total debt / $2,848 per month income = 6.9
$67,910 total debt / $6,835 per month income = 9.9

But I guess since you just look at minimum payments and living in your parents backyard you're doing great.

Yeah and a guy with $4,000/mo in debt but makes $10,000/mo in income can't get approved for a house when a guy with $100/mo in debt but makes $1,000/mo can. The guy with $4,000 in debt still has $6,000 every month and the guy with $100/mo in debt has $900/mo, but sure the guy with $4,000/mo in debt is definitely worse off.

I'm living in my mom's backyard by choice, and yeah we are doing great. I'll wager you've never been really, truly, poor.

quote:

EDIT: Also you just budgeted $150 for bar chairs while being $70k in medium interest debt. I can't. I go back to my original post. Good luck Knyteguy.

Yeah kind of need something to sit on to eat that's not the carpet. Guess what I saw two bar stools for $1.99 each at Goodwill yesterday but am not ready to make decision 100% on the apartment, but no I'll just plan on the best case scenario of finding stuff at the absolute cheapest (we don't have a dining table) instead of the worst case scenario. A budget should always prepare for only a perfect month.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

tag urself, i'm $30/mo on vaping vs $10/mo on hygiene

Yeah Selsun Blue and a home haircut is pretty cheap; addictions aren't. poo poo - enlightening. Most that poo poo comes out of grocery or previously home goods anyway I'm not even sure why we have a hygiene budget.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Yeah and a guy with $4,000/mo in debt but makes $10,000/mo in income can't get approved for a house when a guy with $100/mo in debt but makes $1,000/mo can. The guy with $4,000 in debt still has $6,000 every month and the guy with $100/mo in debt has $900/mo, but sure the guy with $4,000/mo in debt is definitely worse off.

I'm living in my mom's backyard by choice, and yeah we are doing great. I'll wager you've never been really, truly, poor.

Replies like this are really common in these threads when someone tries to force the OP to analyze their history of bad decisions. For example, zuarg always goes back to the fact that he makes more money now than he did 10 years ago and got through a divorce. For you I guess it's that you have a middle class income despite growing up poor, and you survived a surprise medical issue on top of unemployment.

If you know what it's like to be "really, truly poor" then why are you falling so far behind on ~1.5x the median US household income?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Knyteguy posted:

Yeah Selsun Blue and a home haircut is pretty cheap; addictions aren't. poo poo - enlightening. Most that poo poo comes out of grocery or previously home goods anyway I'm not even sure why we have a hygiene budget.

awww did i strike a nerve

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Droo posted:

Replies like this are really common in these threads when someone tries to force the OP to analyze their history of bad decisions. For example, zuarg always goes back to the fact that he makes more money now than he did 10 years ago and got through a divorce. For you I guess it's that you have a middle class income despite growing up poor, and you survived a surprise medical issue on top of unemployment.

If you know what it's like to be "really, truly poor" then why are you falling so far behind on ~1.5x the median US household income?

It's just a reality. Guy with $6,000 leftover isn't in poverty. This is not a justification of my debt it's a response to blaming me for being in some true financial straits in the worst economic period since the 1930s. Those loving Okies sure had themselves to blame :arghfist:! It took awhile to dig ourselves out of that. We're still feeling the effects.

What are you talking about falling behind on the 1.5x the median US household income? I need more context.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bro you have sixty five grand of truck and rv debt this aint exactly The Grapes of Wrath here

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

It's just a reality. Guy with $6,000 leftover isn't in poverty. This is not a justification of my debt it's a response to blaming me for being in some true financial straits in the worst economic period since the 1930s. Those loving Okies sure had themselves to blame :arghfist:! It took awhile to dig ourselves out of that. We're still feeling the effects.

You're right, the piss poor economy held a gun to your head & forced you to take out a 50k loan on a 35k truck, and to finance an RV at credit card rates. You poor thing.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

April posted:

You're right, the piss poor economy held a gun to your head & forced you to take out a 50k loan on a 35k truck, and to finance an RV at credit card rates. You poor thing.

Why do you think that 9 years ago is today or 2 years ago? I'm not talking about the RV and truck I'm talking about including "10 years of history". Roast me all you want from poo poo when I had a choice in being dumb and poor, leave the stuff when I didn't have a choice out of it. That was a pretty miserable time. Look at the year that original post was made in and then check out this:

Or don't this is a dumb tangent. Yes I'm a big idiot who has been irresponsible.

I'm leaning towards the apartment after looking at the numbers and how little it matters to the get out of debt time, but I need to talk it over with my wife first.

Selling the (depreciating) assets that secure the loans ASAP will go a long way towards helping us get out from this mess.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 4, 2019

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Why do you think that 9 years ago is today or 2 years ago? I'm not talking about the RV and truck I'm talking about including "10 years of history". Roast me all you want from poo poo when I had a choice in being dumb and poor, leave the stuff when I didn't have a choice out of it. That was a pretty miserable time. Look at the year that original post was made in and then check out this:

You're the one who keeps bringing up every financial difficulty you've ever had, as if it makes any difference at all now. Everyone goes through tough times. Most people learn from the bad times and do better. You have chosen to say "welp I'm making more money now so I'm going to be a bigger idiot than ever!!" and when you get called on it, you default to "I USED TO MAKE 19K A YEAR RAMEN NOODLES EMERGENCY SURGERY BAD ECONOMY BLARGGHHHHH!!!"

And you've already made the choice to be dumb and poor right when you've been at your highest income. Unemployment charts have absolutely zero to do with your idiotic decision making.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

"Tell me how I'm dumb and wrong"

> tells him how he's dumb and wrong
>gets belligerent
>couches every bad financial decision with 'well this one time I had to sit on the floor and eat ramen, all day I'd dream about sitting on a milk crate instead'
It's like you're the dude on the wall in Life of Brian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URTj4naIdAs

Trying to use the suffering olympics to justify profligate spending without regard to future financial burden is exactly what my mother does. She grew up in a German internment camp for gypsies and jews in the aftermath of WW2, where my Grandfather's entire family died through a combination of malnutrition, typhus, and execution in a variety of concentration camps. That's a lovely way to start life and after 60 years of living with an increasingly decadent lifestyle, my Mom and Dad have really put themselves behind the 8 ball and are now over $500k in debt with no retirement savings.

They are now actively trying to gain control of my Grandparents' (father's side) estate trust before it becomes irrevocable so they can write me out of the inheritance of the family farm so they can keep the income off it for themselves. Meanwhile the German government is pursuing me for my Aunt's debts after her death as she was a ward of the state, because my Mother gave them my contact info so she could collect German social security on top of US social security. I won't go into the details of how that poo poo even works here.

So yeah, you have a future of screwing your child over for yourself if you keep this up.

E: \/ \/ \/ My wife and I both lost our jobs after the deepwater horizon blowout right in the middle of an oil crash in Houston. Everyone was on a hiring freeze for months. We went from over $100k income down to dual unemployment and not health insurance in the space of 1 month. That was the scariest time of my life and I vowed to never let debts get that out of hand again. Learning from your past decisions is crucial to making better ones in the future. I was doing HPC programming for a startup and the boss stopped paying everyone after that. Ended up working nights as a stocker at Target to eat, while selling everything I owned to make rent. Living in lovely times makes you appreciate the value of a dollar and who your friends really are.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 4, 2019

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

I graduated in 2011 and took the only job I could find at $35k/year (in California). Our situation 10 years ago is probably not that different from yours.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

I'd hold off on the apartment unless you truly feel like you can't find a comparable place next month or in six months or whatever. you should be hustling for out of state jobs in places that pay better than reno but have reasonable cost of living (so seattle, denver/boulder, raleigh/durham, pittsburgh, austin, maybe san diego and slc). if you can find somewhere that'll hire you at six figures they'll prob also be willing to kick in 5-20k in signing bonuses/relocation. you can pay off the rv, sell it and find a place in a city with better career opportunities

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

I graduated in 2011 and took the only job I could find at $35k/year (in California). Our situation 10 years ago is probably not that different from yours.

I'm (genuinely) not trying to one up, but... I just doubt that. My whole life fell apart hard from that and other poo poo unrelated to finances at the same time (every single friend moved away, etc). Pre-recession I had no debt, a paid off car, I'd stash away $100 a week in savings (20% of my take home income), used a credit card and paid it off responsibly every month, was earning a pension at $3/hr, had excellent health insurance, had a steady job, had investments (I didn't know what I was doing, but hey), was in amazing shape, was 2 years sober from booze and cigarettes, and had a plan to enroll in college to become a doctor after my trip to Thailand.

Post-recession which hit right when I got back changed all of that. My paid off car was having problems after repairs, I had to sell off my investments to live, no health insurance meant I was moments from disaster, I couldn't get grants or anything from college due to my parent's income (and lol that they would help with college), etc etc.

Not being able to support myself anymore hosed me up. The one gem in that 7 year period is my wife and I got together.

I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm trying to give some perspective on some of my decision making. The recession is when I started making dumb decisions and some of that was out of desperation. I've healed a lot from then, but there's still more to go. I think a lot of that starts with finances.

the talent deficit posted:

I'd hold off on the apartment unless you truly feel like you can't find a comparable place next month or in six months or whatever. you should be hustling for out of state jobs in places that pay better than reno but have reasonable cost of living (so seattle, denver/boulder, raleigh/durham, pittsburgh, austin, maybe san diego and slc). if you can find somewhere that'll hire you at six figures they'll prob also be willing to kick in 5-20k in signing bonuses/relocation. you can pay off the rv, sell it and find a place in a city with better career opportunities

There's already a plan that if I can get a job paying something like that - my wife and my son will stay here and I'll go work there and rent a bedroom, at least for 6 mos to a year. I should have a code-skill thing with Amazon coming up soon; they hit me up on LinkedIn and I didn't ignore it this time. Or they offer relocation assistance if that's just too much, so we could break the lease and pocket the extra if any with that.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

I'm (genuinely) not trying to one up, but... I just doubt that. My whole life fell apart hard from that and other poo poo unrelated to finances at the same time (every single friend moved away, etc). Pre-recession I had no debt, a paid off car, I'd stash away $100 a week in savings (20% of my take home income), used a credit card and paid it off responsibly every month, was earning a pension at $3/hr, had excellent health insurance, had a steady job, had investments (I didn't know what I was doing, but hey), was in amazing shape, was 2 years sober from booze and cigarettes, and had a plan to enroll in college to become a doctor after my trip to Thailand.

Post-recession which hit right when I got back changed all of that. My paid off car was having problems after repairs, I had to sell off my investments to live, no health insurance meant I was moments from disaster, I couldn't get grants or anything from college due to my parent's income (and lol that they would help with college), etc etc.

Not being able to support myself anymore hosed me up. The one gem in that 7 year period is my wife and I got together.

I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm trying to give some perspective on some of my decision making. The recession is when I started making dumb decisions and some of that was out of desperation. I've healed a lot from then, but there's still more to go. I think a lot of that starts with finances.

There's already a plan that if I can get a job paying something like that - my wife and my son will stay here and I'll go work there and rent a bedroom, at least for 6 mos to a year. I should have a code-skill thing with Amazon coming up soon; they hit me up on LinkedIn and I didn't ignore it this time. Or they offer relocation assistance if that's just too much, so we could break the lease and pocket the extra if any with that.

It's been 10 years since the recession, and you've only gone backwards that whole time. So please quit trying to convince yourself & everyone else that your situation is the way it is because the economy was bad 10 years ago. You are in the situation you're in because you have a habit of manipulating wants into needs, you would rather make excuses than changes, and your wife enables all of it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

bro you have sixty five grand of truck and rv debt this aint exactly The Grapes of Wrath here

Please please please make this the new thread title.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

April posted:

It's been 10 years since the recession, and you've only gone backwards that whole time. So please quit trying to convince yourself & everyone else that your situation is the way it is because the economy was bad 10 years ago. You are in the situation you're in because you have a habit of manipulating wants into needs, you would rather make excuses than changes, and your wife enables all of it.

Maybe for you and where you live it was 10 years ago.

I'm not making excuses, I'm speaking on my finances 8 years ago which I didn't bring up.

And yeah she enables some; we all have our flaws. I am responsible for my own actions however, so let's stay focused on me.

e: and thanks for sharing your stories from back then also. It's blatantly obvious I'm not the only one who went through some poo poo, but it's nice to see it reaffirmed every now and then.

Duckman2008 posted:

Please please please make this the new thread title.

3/4 posts so far about a thread title, 1 about zaurg.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 4, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

Maybe for you and where you live it was 10 years ago.

You literally have a (lovely) portable house that you and your family are already resigned to living in. You can go wherever the gently caress jobs are, more easily than most.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

You literally have a (lovely) portable house that you and your family are already resigned to living in. You can go wherever the gently caress jobs are, more easily than most.

I didn't 10 years ago?

We already moved to Dallas for exactly that reason and decided it was too hard on my son to be away from family. I will move according to what I said.

quote:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

are you on coke again

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Dude I graduated in the recession and got laid off and had to wipe out my savings to stay afloat, yeah poo poo was bad but I learned from it. I made sure the bleeding stopped and then made sure I was progressing, despite the psychic damage I endured.

Since then there's been the longest continuous period of market growth since the last Great Depression, but you're still moving backwards. How do you explain that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Paul ReiserFS posted:

are you on coke again

If coke means getting serious about finances then yes

DarkHorse posted:

Dude I graduated in the recession and got laid off and had to wipe out my savings to stay afloat, yeah poo poo was bad but I learned from it. I made sure the bleeding stopped and then made sure I was progressing, despite the psychic damage I endured.

Since then there's been the longest continuous period of market growth since the last Great Depression, but you're still moving backwards. How do you explain that?

Bad choices and irresponsible credit usage? I don't understand why everyone thinks I'm blaming the recession on my stupid spending habits now. It absolutely played a part then. That's when it started, and that's why our finances were so poo poo in the 2011 thread that Bugamol posted, and it took some time to recover from that. That's literally all I was saying.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 4, 2019