Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I noticed people weren't making many multiplayer maps and noticed one of my levels got a bunch of play as a multiplayer map. This inspired me to attempt to make a level for 2-4 players in versus.

SMW 4 player madness
S2L-66H-DTG

Koopa Troopas are the main enemy, this is done to encourage throwing shells at other players. There is one hidden P block meant to slow down other players. Anyone that plays multiplayer with friends, let me know what y'all think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Made a boot level. I think I'll try a "Try Switch" level next.

https://twitter.com/beerinator/status/1146539268807901184

Boot Scoots
code: 80C-5VN-RFF

Give me feedback if you have any! The goon levels I've been playing through randomactsofmario.com so far have been really good! Kudos to whoever built that!

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Hello Mario friends. I have a couple questions:

1) Can I download a ton of levels in advance to play later? I am going to be going on vacation soon where I will have an internet connection, but it is extremely slow and there is a data cap.

2) Is jumping/moving a little "floaty" in this game compared to the Mario games they're modeled off of? I wonder if I have something set weird somewhere, because it feels like it takes way too long to stop moving after holding forward or jumping forward, for example.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

1) Can I download a ton of levels in advance to play later? I am going to be going on vacation soon where I will have an internet connection, but it is extremely slow and there is a data cap.

2) Is jumping/moving a little "floaty" in this game compared to the Mario games they're modeled off of? I wonder if I have something set weird somewhere, because it feels like it takes way too long to stop moving after holding forward or jumping forward, for example.

1) Yes.

2) They feel different but fine to me. Do you notice it more when playing on TV? If so, it may be lag from the TV.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Yes, I've been slowly grabbing goon levels people have said are good in this thread for a long flight at the end of the month. If anyone really enjoys any goon level, please post about it so I know to download it.

Salastine posted:

Another from page 41.
The noteblocks make this level a little too chaotic and it wasn't clear at first glance what to do with the star at the beginning.
Thank you for the feedback. I love the chaos but it is probably too much on this level.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Snow cliffs hide a dark secret
889-8M1-0JG

This is a "classic" snow level with optional underground secret areas. It took a while to fine-tune those drat icicles so they wouldn't be too annoying yet still add to the ~aesthetic~.

There's a cool bonus zone for pink coin hoarders. It's a chill map imo :cool:

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

I made a level that's extremely specific to my friend and extremely specific to how they have their streaming setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuZuY4vXv-o

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I have two levels I've made

A Classic Castle
93G-XWD-N1G
A straight up classic castle from SMB1

Assault on Bowser's Flagship
9TP-QCY-FGF
A two-parter when you must infiltrate and then destroy bowser's airship

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The messaging system for multiplayer is super limited but it does have its moments. I was playing a terrible 1-1 knock off from Super Expert difficulty that just added hammer bros spam and then at the end an unjumpable gap. After staring at the abyss I went, "gently caress, there must be a dev exit somewhere," and started doubling back while two of the others worked on the hole. About thirty seconds later one of them clears the level.

Me: "How?!"
Them: "Teamwork!"

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

Vanilla Ice posted:

I made my first serious attempt at a level. It's designed like old Mega Man games where you need to complete a challenge in 5 different rooms before moving on to the final boss. It's not easy, but there are plenty of power ups to get you through it. I hope at least a few of you can find it enjoyable.

197-BM1-DGG

Another overlooked level, this time from page 43.
It's a bit of a gauntlet and the challenges are of varying difficulty but I think it's pretty good.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

J-Spot posted:

I had to throw in the towel at the underground part after the first checkpoint. Cool gimmick, but too difficult for me. There may be a little too much nonsense on the screen at a time in places.

Thanks for the input!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Super Mario Maker 2 runs in the NSMBU engine so if you're used to earlier games the jumps are less strict, and it can kind of drive you batty.

Dork457 posted:

I made a level that's extremely specific to my friend and extremely specific to how they have their streaming setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuZuY4vXv-o

This is hilarious.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Warning no jumping (I guess no landing would be more accurate), and claws.

Factory Floor is Lava
VH8-V25-P1H

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I'm completely dying over here. I'm on vacation so I was just sitting there on the beach and I finished a level I started last night. I didn't really have a goal in mind, I was just dicking around with the parts. I have created a monster. I can't loving clear it. I know it's possible to clear because I tested every individual part while I was building it multiple times. But I am very bad at Mario and I have built something that is probably going to be sorted into Expert (probably not Super Expert though). I am very much not an expert.

I gave it my nephew and my fiance to try and they both gave up after about five minutes which is what an average player will probably do but I've been at this for three freaking hours. If I could just get to the end once I could at least do the checkpoint clear and that would be something different!

I don't want to make it easier because I know it's possible and I just want to have a somewhat challenging course out there for all of you goons who are better at Mario than me.

I have to git gud.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Spacebump posted:

I noticed people weren't making many multiplayer maps and noticed one of my levels got a bunch of play as a multiplayer map. This inspired me to attempt to make a level for 2-4 players in versus.

SMW 4 player madness
S2L-66H-DTG

Koopa Troopas are the main enemy, this is done to encourage throwing shells at other players. There is one hidden P block meant to slow down other players. Anyone that plays multiplayer with friends, let me know what y'all think.

I don't know if there is actually a way to select levels for multiplayer vs even locally but I went ahead and got you your first clear to hopefully get it in rotation.

beerinator posted:

Boot Scoots

Give me feedback if you have any! The goon levels I've been playing through randomactsofmario.com so far have been really good! Kudos to whoever built that!
Good level. Some of the platforming in this is no joke. In the vertical section I think the jump off the last falling platform should have been a tile lower as it's tough to make even when you know it's coming, much less for a first time through. Watch the spikes in vertical sections too as tge screen doesn't show them off straight away. Also it wouldn't have killed you to add a mushroom or two.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

This looked fun so I got it. Never played the first one (or had a Wii U for that matter), so this is my first try at making a level with the Curse of the Mummy's Tomb!

291-CW8-6HG

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Gourmet Race own
550-D3S-2HF

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

J-Spot posted:

Good level. Some of the platforming in this is no joke. In the vertical section I think the jump off the last falling platform should have been a tile lower as it's tough to make even when you know it's coming, much less for a first time through. Watch the spikes in vertical sections too as tge screen doesn't show them off straight away. Also it wouldn't have killed you to add a mushroom or two.

Thanks for the feedback! I have watched a video or two about level creation, but I'm just winging it... I get it about the mushrooms and good tip about the spikes in vertical sections. Sometimes I think I get too invested in my level and can't see it from the perspective of a fresh player. I will try to think about that in the future.

Thanks!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Lord Hydronium posted:

This looked fun so I got it. Never played the first one (or had a Wii U for that matter), so this is my first try at making a level with the Curse of the Mummy's Tomb!

291-CW8-6HG

Pretty darn good for a first effort. Keep it up!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I finished my first level! I cut it a bit short because of limitations in the 3D World set, but I think it turned out okay?

Make Way!
LRL-JJP-GLF

I wanted to add a couple puzzle bits, but I didn't see the pieces I wanted and figured I should go ahead and finish this one. Let me know what you think!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Lobster posted:

I know it's possible to clear because I tested every individual part while I was building it multiple times.

The thing about testing in level is it's not exactly like playing the level in full. Everything is at its default state and it's possible for things to shift into an unwinnable state when players approach it linearly. There's actually a lesson in the dojo about this demonstrating how things get spawned in more slowly than you might realize. This is especially bad in anything involving autoscrolling or moving water/lava/poison levels since you basically can't test those in part (I tried on one of the levels I've made and I had to rework it a lot in testing as a result). You might have made something that is, in fact, unbeatable while still looking possible as you check on the way.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Is there a list anywhere of all the possible clear conditions you can do?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dork457 posted:

Is there a list anywhere of all the possible clear conditions you can do?

For actions, there's only two: no damage, and no touching ground after you leave it.

For parts it's collect or defeat and that's for anything that you can collect (1ups and coins) or defeat.

Status can be set to check if you have any power up. Small Mario is not an option there.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

The thing about testing in level is it's not exactly like playing the level in full. Everything is at its default state and it's possible for things to shift into an unwinnable state when players approach it linearly. There's actually a lesson in the dojo about this demonstrating how things get spawned in more slowly than you might realize. This is especially bad in anything involving autoscrolling or moving water/lava/poison levels since you basically can't test those in part (I tried on one of the levels I've made and I had to rework it a lot in testing as a result). You might have made something that is, in fact, unbeatable while still looking possible as you check on the way.

This is a great point and for this reason I recommend doing a play from start for every beat you add to your level to make sure everything flows well. You don't want to build an entire level only to find that the pieces don't really fit well together.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Random Stranger posted:

Hmmm. Good advice. Thanks, I'll see what I can tweak ever so slightly then and get back to trying.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, any time I have some kind of cycle-based challenge, I make the player spawn into the room with a door or a pipe, because this re-initializes things to their default state. Make sure any moving parts are within a certain distance of Mario (I want to say about a screen and a half?) and they will load perfectly every time. I think that this also only applies to horizontal distance, with no limit on vertical.

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Goon courses:

Rote Wurst
P7R-1MJ-27G
Decently challenging platforming, and the first section feels good to blitz through. The section right after the checkpoint is a little rough, though. There's a lot of blocks to reveal, which is fine, but they're just out of reach for small Mario's standing jump. If you get hit, or if you're continuing from the checkpoint and don't grab the mushroom, you need to either make running jumps in an enemy crowded area or bounce off the goombrats, and you can accidentally cut off your bouncing option if you hit the blocks under the pipe.

Chomp Shrine
M63-1B4-SYF
I liked the atmosphere of the level a lot, and the gimmick was used well without being annoying. Difficulty was good, and nothing felt overly hard or unfair. The wind hosed me more than once on some of the jumps, but I think it's more of a problem with me than with the level.

Drop It Like It's Hot
RX3-DDT-MHF
Neat concept, but the thwomp bits feel at odds with the rest of the course. I think it might have worked better as a series of rooms instead of a continuous line, to really drive accentuate how each thwomp is its own little challenge. It can be shared to tell where you're at when you're making jumps over obstacles, and the chomps right after the sawblades could've been pushed to the right a little more, to give a bit of wiggle room. Something that I think might help is to use markers, so it's easier to judge timing. With the beetle at the end, it was really hard to gauge when to make the thwomp drop; having coins or a question block or something to reference would've made it less of a guessing game.

7 Short Films about 1-1
TWQ-4TF-QWF
Really liked this one! The third bit in particular was really well done. Fun gimmick, well implemented, and nothing overstays its welcome.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Everything I play in multiplayer is a lovely 1-1 clone, a straight shot to the end or a boss battle bullshit race

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Everything I play in multiplayer is a lovely 1-1 clone

Go to your played levels and report them. The other two you can only boo.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Help, I can’t stop making Mario levels and wasting my switch’s battery

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Also autoscrollers should be automatically removed from the multiplayer queue

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

291-CW8-6HG

I really like this one. I think you did a good job with the payoff especially, holding back some treasure for big Marios only. Really good job sticking to the theme as well.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Finished another course! :toot:

Carnival of Calamity: 6W9-96X-JTF

Its a carnival! Its full of fun! And explosions! And a giant lava serpent trying to incinerate you!

Really its a fairly tough (I think) level that involves a lot of weird layouts. It also involves backtracking with Charvaargh on your tail, so mind the fire.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

beerinator posted:

Boot Scoots

I really enjoyed this one. Challenging without feeling unfair.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

My slightly tweaked level that was giving me so much hell. I'm sure it's easy for everyone here, haha.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Random Acts of Mario now shows Jam Entries (and allows searching for them) in case you to give them a go!

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Just put up my jam level.

Switch It Up

lunar detritus posted:

Random Acts of Mario now shows Jam Entries (and allows searching for them) in case you to give them a go!

Truly doing god's work.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

NofrikinfuN posted:

I really enjoyed this one. Challenging without feeling unfair.

Thanks!

lunar detritus posted:

Whose project is this? It's great. If any help is needed, send me a PM. I'm a full stack guy that can lend a hand. Hopefully some sort of API is released soon.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Super Leaf Citadel
QMK-KJ1-BLG

A simple fortress course based on the Super Leaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

This game is reminding me how utterly fantastic the 3D World Soundtrack is.