Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Depending on what model year and mileage, that should be going for around $5kish... so either there's some reason it's lower price or that dealer doesn't know what they have. Way back when I bought my 98 V70R, I ended up with a pretty good deal because it was Dec and at a Toyota dealership...they just wanted it off their lot. But definitely have it checked out by a Volvo mechanic if you are considering...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Oxphocker posted:

Depending on what model year and mileage, that should be going for around $5kish... so either there's some reason it's lower price or that dealer doesn't know what they have. Way back when I bought my 98 V70R, I ended up with a pretty good deal because it was Dec and at a Toyota dealership...they just wanted it off their lot. But definitely have it checked out by a Volvo mechanic if you are considering...

Realistically i know it doesn't have the:
  • New SMF
  • new Slave
  • new clutch
  • stronger coupler
  • new diff
  • new 4c
  • IPD DP
  • new fuel pump
  • new water pump
  • new timing belt
that are all in the 07 S60R in my driveway.

If there was only a (cheap) way to snap my fingers and have all the parts/labor magically transfer from one to the other.

Unrealistically - The V70R has always been my unicorn, and the S was the "well, at least I found something close and with low miles"

VIN YV1SJ52Y542451645
Miles 165,096

https://www.riversidesalesinc.com/vehicle_pages/yv1sj52y542451645-2004-volvo-v70-used-hatchback-plymouth-nc.shtml

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 16, 2019

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Both in the dealership pic and in your picture through the window, the console looks really ratty, wonder what's up with that?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

If I'm seeing the stereo surround correctly, it's an 04. Un-painted side trim would also tell you. The interiors on these cars don't hold up as well as the regular leather because it's special higher grade natural finish leather. You have to maintain it pretty religiously for it to last.

But yeah, stripper model with no sunroof or roof rack? sign me up. I love it. Probably has 200k on it.

Durr you linked the ad. It's pretty dirty, and yeah the paint on the 04 consoles came off for some reason. Fortunately there are now parts cars everywhere for these and you can update to the later more durable one.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 16, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

What really gives me pause about this, is I *know* just what it's going to cost to replace all the major service interval items on this car, seeing as I've had to do all of it on the S60R, and i'm not super froggy on :homebrew:'ing all over again.

LloydDobler posted:

If I'm seeing the stereo surround correctly, it's an 04. Un-painted side trim would also tell you. The interiors on these cars don't hold up as well as the regular leather because it's special higher grade natural finish leather. You have to maintain it pretty religiously for it to last.

But yeah, stripper model with no sunroof or roof rack? sign me up. I love it. Probably has 200k on it.

It's an 04 w/156k from the listing.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Go lowball them for $2500 and if they take it, just take your time, pull the enigne and refresh everything. It'd be bulletproof for about $7k all in if you did the work yourself.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Go lowball them for $2500 and if they take it, just take your time, pull the enigne and refresh everything. It'd be bulletproof for about $7k all in if you did the work yourself.

I love how you've got Stockholm Syndrome worse than I do, as you're using "bulletproof" when talking about a P2.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Double Postin:

Clutch was already done, along with the DMF.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6mffGLz2S0GSjN0UFRpZmx0WmVub2ZFZWh0VTR6bEdJUVJV/view?usp=sharing

This isn't helping. :(

The only thing i'm now not sure of is Water Pump/Timing Belt

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

And PCV.

toplitzin posted:

I love how you've got Stockholm Syndrome worse than I do, as you're using "bulletproof" when talking about a P2.

Fuckin ow. I have never been called out harder than this.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
Yeah if the PCV checks out that seems like a good price to me. The interior isn't great but so far everything on my 04 interior has been so easy to access/swap out.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

LloydDobler posted:

The funny part is that on P80, P1, and P2 vehicles it's one of those things that it gets spread around the boards because it is one of those non intuitive problems that does get solved with the suggested repair. I did it the first time on my daughter's V50. For some reason, the AC would only go in 15 minute bursts where the light would be on but it would obviously be off due to hot moist air coming out the vents. Let it rest a few minutes and it'd work again.

Measure AC clutch gap, oh look it's wide. Remove shims, no more problem. It's almost like it doesn't have enough current to hold it shut so it just releases without cutting power. The system doesn't think it's off but it is. Not sure if there's a good logical explanation but the fix does work if a wide clutch gap is the problem.

It wouldn't be my go-to on a car that new though.

Wait wait, what's this? Yesterday I could swear the AC on my V50 wasn't working in the 90 degree heat. Cycle on and off and things are working. Is this a thing?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

It also does it if you're low on refrigerant, but yeah a wide ac clutch gap will cause that problem.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I had that problem in my V50. I didn’t feel like taking the clutch apart so I used the zip tie “trick” that’s discussed on the forums and it worked great.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I finally drain/filled my transmission fluid and reset the adaptation counter on my S60,super EZ.

Now I have to find a good primer on changing the Haldex fluid :ohdear:

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 19, 2019

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
The funny thing is after me and my dad did a couple of the clutch fixes on them, he built a great clutch puller tool out of an old brake pad. I will post a pic when I'm back from holiday.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

IOwnCalculus posted:

It being temperature dependent makes me think it's pressure related somehow.

I wonder if that Volvo is new / complicated enough that it would actually directly monitor and report system pressures with the computer.

In theory you could do any work without handling the refrigerant yourself by diagnosing it, having a shop evacuate it if needed, fixing the core issue, and then having a shop vacuum / charge it again.

I don't think I'll be working on it myself (got too much on my plate) unless it's something quick. Apparently it stopped working today at 28 degrees again after sitting in the sun for a few hours. I was going to use it to go pick up my brother in Berlin, and now I see that they are going to have 38 degree temp those days.

Oh joy.

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong
Picked up an 02 V70XC for $2500 off the funniest old yooper out in South Range, one of those fabled California cars we talk about up here, not a speck of rust. Bought at 149k, sitting at 152k now.

Gave her a pretty thorough tune up myself (fluid changes, coils/plugs, filters, etc.) and only had one major issue, a leaking cam seal that was patched up for less than $400 along with a new timing belt. Since then not so much as a hiccup. She absolutely sings on the road and I don't think I've ever been in a more comfortable car. Love seeing that "You have 0 message(s)" display.

My beautiful brown baby:

And the OG fuel filter I pulled off:

Dirt McGuirk fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 20, 2019

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Here's a hyper specific question that I know has theoretically been answered on the internet, but I don't trust what I'm reading.

We race a non-turbo 1994 940 in Lemons. We've engine swapped it to run a 1UZ, with the accompanying A340 trans. Car has been doing not terrible, but we'd like to get a little more out of it. The A340 is a four speed, but the gear ratios make 1st nearly useless on our home track (<35 mph), and only briefly on the long straight does 4th get touched. Max speed with the 4.1 rear end that came in the car would be 153, and that's just not going to happen. Current top speed is 105.

I'd like to change rear end ratios to something a bit more reasonable for racing, and actually use more than basically two gears. 4.88 would put top speed more like 122, which seems less out the realm of possibility.

Some 240 / 245 / etc. cars got what is an actual Dana 30. But by the time the 740 and 940 came around, it's not really a Dana 30 any more (called 1031/1041, right?) so off the shelf gear sets apparently don't fit, according to the internet. Here http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=55095 you can see the difference in a front high pinion D30, compared to the Volvo 940 pinion. But it's not that simple. If you look at a parts catalog and find the 940 non-turbo ring and pinion (https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Volvo/Drive-gear-set/1209016/271258.html), it shows it fitting in a 240 of the year where you CAN get other gear sets (I think). Choosing that year of 240 but in a different ratio (https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Volvo/Drive-gear-set/1209016/271258.html for example) gives you a huge list of stuff it would also fit, 940 included.

I understand that the pinion bearing is special, but that's no biggie. I've now gone to pulling pictures off eBay auctions of gear sets to see if they look the same. Anybody have any experience with this? Or is it time to give up and just use two of the long tubes of a Ford 8.8, which would have the added bonus of letting us redrill to something less annoying that 5x108. Also if we add enough axle width we could run wheels that don't need such oddball offsets that make finding wheels very hard. I'd like to leave the rear in the car until I know more, so I'm just about to the point of buying a junkyard rear and getting the cheapest 240 4.88 set I can find and just do a real world experiment. Time and money, though...

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003

Dirt McGuirk posted:

Picked up an 02 V70XC for $2500 off the funniest old yooper out in South Range, one of those fabled California cars we talk about up here, not a speck of rust. Bought at 149k, sitting at 152k now.

Gave her a pretty thorough tune up myself (fluid changes, coils/plugs, filters, etc.) and only had one major issue, a leaking cam seal that was patched up for less than $400 along with a new timing belt. Since then not so much as a hiccup. She absolutely sings on the road and I don't think I've ever been in a more comfortable car. Love seeing that "You have 0 message(s)" display.

My beautiful brown baby:

And the OG fuel filter I pulled off:

That looks great! I'm glad you reminded me, I really should get my fuel filter swapped out. I'll probably take care of that next month when I flush the transmission.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

What’s the opinion on the newer Volvo’s with turbo/supercharged 4 cylinder engines. Can they be trusted long term? The new V60’s have gorgeous styling but I kinda feel glad I have the last model with a 5 cylinder, it may guzzle fuel but it’s known to be reliable.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Animal posted:

What’s the opinion on the newer Volvo’s with turbo/supercharged 4 cylinder engines. Can they be trusted long term? The new V60’s have gorgeous styling but I kinda feel glad I have the last model with a 5 cylinder, it may guzzle fuel but it’s known to be reliable.

Have they even existed long term?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

rarbatrol posted:

I think the powerplant has been around since 2015 in some models. Not sure if the configuration then was the FINAL FORM as seen in the latest standardized version. But close enough and long enough that some drivers must have already put some serious mileage into them.

E: spelling

Animal fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 21, 2019

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

always be closing posted:

^^^thanks.

Spoke with them over fb messenger they said I'm in the e right place. Denso p1 or 2 will be in my car. $6-700, Gonna think on it.

So I've got my China ECM removal tool, have a "good" core from a junk yard, gonna pull the original one today.

The xemodex copy service is only $250 vs $700 if I use one of their reman'ed units. If my junkyard unit is in fact bad, then they will just upgrade my service and invoice me.

I will post a follow up with. Just wanted to thank you guys for the heads up on this, and frohikke for all his help.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

rarbatrol posted:

In Europe FWD models with 8 speed should have the VEA 4-cyl since September 2014. In the US, first models should be T8 and T6 XC90 IIs.

I know my friend is happy with his, but his is just barely broken in (under 100k) so it's anecdotal at best. Early diesels supposedly have trouble with EGR but most Volvo diesels do anyway when paired with automatic.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003

always be closing posted:

So I've got my China ECM removal tool, have a "good" core from a junk yard, gonna pull the original one today.

The xemodex copy service is only $250 vs $700 if I use one of their reman'ed units. If my junkyard unit is in fact bad, then they will just upgrade my service and invoice me.

I will post a follow up with. Just wanted to thank you guys for the heads up on this, and frohikke for all his help.

Awesome, good luck man! I'm sure that tool will make it easier, but I was able to get the releases moved with a metal ruler and flathead screwdriver. I was able to left up the white plastic the ECM plugs into and push the pink locking tabs from the back which was way easier than trying to slide them from the top.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

R listed here and on SwedeSpeed.

For some reason BaT rejected my listing request, maybe that'll change if I talk to a human.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Wow... I was looking online at some of the new Volvos because I wanted to see what their plug-in hybrids were going for...there's a XC90 that's going for over $100k in the options, holy crap!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

toplitzin posted:

R listed here and on SwedeSpeed.

For some reason BaT rejected my listing request, maybe that'll change if I talk to a human.

You bought the V70R?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

angryrobots posted:

You bought the V70R?

Nah, I'm getting the WRX back on the road.
I was pretty much selling the R regardless.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Oxphocker posted:

Wow... I was looking online at some of the new Volvos because I wanted to see what their plug-in hybrids were going for...there's a XC90 that's going for over $100k in the options, holy crap!

It has four massage seats and a refrigerator between the rear two.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I’ve had 5 240’s in my past (still have one), but have no other knowledge about more recent Volvo models. I’ve run across a 2008 C70 with a seemingly good price, and I was wondering if there’s anything I should be wary about with this particular model.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The P1 series is generally pretty solid and reliable. They have a few chronic problems but easily prevented with maintenance. The drivetrain and parts of the chassis are identical to the C30, S40, and V50 from 05-13 or so. The models discontinued at different times. The ones that continued were facelifted in 10 or 11 I think.

The two biggest killers are coolant loss and belt failure. Keep the accessory and timing belts fresh and keep the cooling system inspected and it'll run for at least 200k. The biggest glitch is that there's no coolant loss warning light, so if you dump coolant while driving it often blows the head gasket immediately. There is no recommendation for changing the accessory belts, so people neglect them and they fail. If you're lucky they won't fail in to the timing cover and take out the timing belt. But many owners are not lucky.

Overall though the systems are reliable. The roof mechanism works well and is durable, the drivetrain is robust and decently powerful, and they're fun cars to drive.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Thank you for the info. It is much appreciated!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I should add that if I ever total my P80 C70 (again) I will likely switch to a P1. You can get them with a 6 speed manual and there's a ton of go fast parts for them.

They platform share with the Ford Focus and Mazda 3 of the same years so almost all the brake and suspension mods are cross compatible. I've heard a Mazdaspeed 3 rear sway bar is the first and best upgrade one should do to a P1 Volvo, including the C70.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
P1 Volvos are the best modern Volvos out there, and what I try and steer people towards whenever they ask me about buying a high mileage, early 00s P2 XC70 (why is it always a goddamned XC70?!).

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Terrible Robot posted:

P1 Volvos are the best modern Volvos out there, and what I try and steer people towards whenever they ask me about buying a high mileage, early 00s P2 XC70 (why is it always a goddamned XC70?!).

Because awd and ground clearance in a wagon?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

One of the paddles in my drivers air vent came off the plastic guide on my XC60. I assume this applies for any P3(?) xc60/70

Let me pre warn anyone if this happens the clips are on the sides of the vent housing and aren’t easily flattened to remove the vent. The front will come off instead revealing a plastic house of cards direct from Satan’s butthole.

After you finish reconstructing that poo poo like a ship in a bottle and re-glueing the frame odds are it will not work properly due to the vertical movement being tied to some tiny strip of metal that has now bent or warped.

This all happened because I bought a vent cleaning tool from IPD that has a microfiber and fins to go in the vent - just don’t imo. The dust that’s stuck in there will not hurt you.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Best nook/cranny/vent dusting tool I've ever used is a household paintbrush.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Terrible Robot posted:

I’m trying to convince my wife that a P1 V50 is what she wants but she keeps going back to much newer models (XC70s mostly). Care to give me reasons I can use to make the V50 any better sounding? Also are there particular model years/configurations that are good or bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The 50 used a heap of ford parts didn't it? Sounds like you have to go admit your wife is right. Source: I have an S40 that's basically a focus sedan. I hate it. My S60 is so much better it's not funny.