Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Season passes dont involve gambling which automatically makes them less predatory than lootboxes

there are many ways of applying psychological pressures. at least lootboxes are (comparatively) honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Gambling is a land of contrasts.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Rinkles posted:

there are many ways of applying psychological pressures. at least lootboxes are (comparatively) honest.

This is the spiciest take on microtransactions I’ve ever heard

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

This is the spiciest take on microtransactions I’ve ever heard

i hope you didn't read that as a defense of lootboxes.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Season passes dont involve gambling which automatically makes them less predatory than lootboxes
If you buy the season pass you get extra lootboxes.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Wizards of the Coast has been using lootboxes since 1993

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
The Mastery/season pass thing appears to be an aggressive and successful attempt to make me lose interest in Arena. Not being able to sit down and get the 3 weekly packs is a really bad feeling when you're kinda on the line with your interest.

Pararoid fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 4, 2019

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

When you think about it, the act of deciding to play a competitive game of Magic is like gambling your fun against your opponent's

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pararoid posted:

The Mastery/season pass thing appears to be an aggressive and successful attempt to make me lose interest in Arena. Not being able to it down and get the 3 weekly packs is a really bad feeling when you're kinda on the line with your interest.

Yeah. I have booted up Arena maybe once in the last week and a half. I only really wanted to use it to draft new sets. All the other bells & whistles and wonky formats don't really mean much to me. This just makes it harder to care about using the platform.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

JerryLee posted:

When you think about it, the act of deciding to play a competitive game of Magic is like gambling your fun against your opponent's

This, unironically, if one of you fuckers is playing Lantern or Dredge.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. I have booted up Arena maybe once in the last week and a half. I only really wanted to use it to draft new sets. All the other bells & whistles and wonky formats don't really mean much to me. This just makes it harder to care about using the platform.

the changes to mastery have exactly 0 effect on your ability to draft

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

The fishy part is Gamestop selling to him at cost

Turns out it was his LGS which has a monthly membership and sells Booster Boxes for $80 to members. He sells them on the side for CC points.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Can you do your daily quests in bot matches or only against other players?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

cheesetriangles posted:

Can you do your daily quests in bot matches or only against other players?

Other players, and not friends, or whatever the MTGA half assed implementation of friends is.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

Why are they the only ones available for gold? Not that sleeves matter at all on Arena but the Angrath ones looks so good that I'm tempted to spend the gems.

Brewing around with M20, neither knight nor vamp BW variants seem strong enough to hang, unfortunately.

I tried a few configurations of vamp tribal and none seemed as good as the already existing orzhov sac deck, which isn't very good in any case. There isn't any good card advantage which hurts it a lot.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lone Goat posted:

the changes to mastery have exactly 0 effect on your ability to draft

Oh. Ok. Cool.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

man it sure would suck to have some sort of lootbox system in Magic: The Gathering

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ZeroCount posted:

man it sure would suck to have some sort of lootbox system in Magic: The Gathering

:thunk:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Random opponents is a form of loot boxes. Shuffled decks is a form of loot boxes. I'm paying WotC my hard-earned time and attention and in return there's no guarantee of value in opponents or starting hands. I have to play many games to get the experience I want :mad:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

oh lol that mastery pass thing is tied to the set, meaning you have to buy a new one every set, lmao

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

mandatory lesbian posted:

oh lol that mastery pass thing is tied to the set, meaning you have to buy a new one every set, lmao

Yeah, it is literally lifted directly from Fortnite, down to the interface.
This is where someone who's been following this poo poo longer tells me that it was some other gacha studio that came up with it
"Mastery Pass" is literally the stupidest name they could possibly have given it. "MASTER THE ARCANE FORCES OF THE COSMOS BY SPENDING MONEY!!!"
Wait, no, that tracks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

Random opponents is a form of loot boxes. Shuffled decks is a form of loot boxes. I'm paying WotC my hard-earned time and attention and in return there's no guarantee of value in opponents or starting hands. I have to play many games to get the experience I want :mad:

booster packs are loot boxes :ssh:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Since Magic came first, all the random mtx in other games should be called booster packs :colbert:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Elyv posted:

booster packs are loot boxes :ssh:

:thejoke:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Miracles are the real surprise mechanics.

As a bonus they ruin the game just like video game surprise mechanics!

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

odiv posted:

If you buy the season pass you get extra lootboxes.

If we are being reductive enough to call boosters "lootboxes", then the problem is MTG, not the Mastery pass. In which case you should lobby constantly to make it a LCG. Good luck with that

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

If we are being reductive enough to call boosters "lootboxes", then the problem is MTG, not the Mastery pass. In which case you should lobby constantly to make it a LCG. Good luck with that

Been doing that for twenty years.

I miss the Netrunner LCG at times.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Corbeau posted:

Been doing that for twenty years.

I miss the Netrunner LCG at times.

There's a reason you miss it

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Who said there's a problem? I'm fine with it and how MTG works. Why would I lobby to change it?

I don't plan on getting the mastery pass, but let's not pretend it's not you paying them some money for some cosmetic stuff, plus some extra packs which are basically lootboxes.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

How is calling a booster pack a lootbox reductive

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elyv posted:

How is calling a booster pack a lootbox reductive

You see, lootboxes are bad, which means that the thing that's part of a game I like must not actually be a lootbox.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

There's a reason you miss it

Cuz Wizards pulled the license out from under FFG?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Reid Duke making Wrenn and Six jund look super strong with a 10-0 5-0. http://www.streamdecker.com/deck/YrTuB4pSYT

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Reid Duke making Wrenn and Six jund look super strong with a 10-0 5-0. http://www.streamdecker.com/deck/YrTuB4pSYT

Wrenn and Six is just what every Jund player wanted I guess.

A playset of another really expensive planeswalker

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i think lotv has fallen out of favor, it doesnt seem very good against either phoenix or hogaak

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Did you take a look at Reid’s decklist?

LotV is too good against the rest of the field to cut from the main, imo.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
nah i didn't check i was just going off other jund decks i'd seen lately. i trust reid is doing the right thing and i was just seeing weird lists or something

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

nah i didn't check i was just going off other jund decks i'd seen lately. i trust reid is doing the right thing and i was just seeing weird lists or something

Reid reviewed someone else's list from a tournament finish and said "This is all very reasonable except I would never register a list with less than 4 LotV".

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Lili and Wrenn have an interesting little value engine going too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

LOTV is still great but we’ve been trending for a while towards a format where the yard is halfway in your hand and halfway on the battlefield, and since her thing is really efficiently putting your opponent’s stuff in the yard she’s lost a little bit of her edge