Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Shanty posted:

Same sort of look, you're in the ball park. But no dice. Thanks though.

I think this could be one of the Yipe! games. My memories of those are pretty vague, but I think you could select your sprite in Yipe 2 and/or 3 at least, and they probably had some strange options. They definitely had two different options for the monsters, where one set was traditional RPG monsters, and the other was silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chinook posted:

It was called Enclosure.

Still an impressive game. If it was more popular people would totally confuse it for an actual Sierra title.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Rollersnake posted:

I think this could be one of the Yipe! games. My memories of those are pretty vague, but I think you could select your sprite in Yipe 2 and/or 3 at least, and they probably had some strange options. They definitely had two different options for the monsters, where one set was traditional RPG monsters, and the other was silly.

That's IT, holy poo poo! I cannot believe you got that. Thanks so much, that's incredible. No idea which one of them it was, and screenshots EXTREMELY scarce, but it's definitely Yipe.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Shanty posted:

That's IT, holy poo poo! I cannot believe you got that. Thanks so much, that's incredible. No idea which one of them it was, and screenshots EXTREMELY scarce, but it's definitely Yipe.

Glad I could help.

On a semi-related note, I am so close to finally finding my white whale. I am almost 100% sure it was on a Club KidSoft demo disc, but not one that Macintosh Garden has archived. I remember the cover image being a scientist in a lab. It's an adventure game where your character is a boy wearing a safari hat, and at the very beginning of the game you can fall into a cave where you are immediately attacked by bats, and it shows the bloody bite marks on your body. Game over message: "Bat-ter luck next time, Harold!"

gently caress's sake, there is a game on one of these discs called "Harry and the Haunted House" and it isn't it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Not it, sorry! I guess this game is just too obscure, maybe it was never released as a full game.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I've got kind of a reverse Help Me Remember that's been plaguing me for decades. I know the game, and I've managed to find a disk dump of it, but I absolutely can't figure out how to play.

The game is an Atari 800 game called Creepers, and it was about a party of 8 adventurers crawling around a dungeon and getting eaten by giant centipede things. I used to play it all the time as a kid, I think I might have even beaten it once or twice, but coming back to it now and I'm completely lost.

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-creepers_1395.html

A few years back someone was selling a complete copy on ebay for hundreds of dollars. I'm not THAT obsessed. Is there any remote chance someone out there has managed to save the goddamn instruction manual?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Aaaah so many half remembered games as I lie sick in bed. Two ones

Recent game, Steam release no older than 2016. First person platform adventure game. You’re a safety engineer inspecting dilapidated public works (factory/dam/aqueduct?). Lots of puzzles and stuff. At some point you find a corpse and it becomes a murder mystery I think.

Second game is more obscure. RPG Maker 2000 game prior to 2003 so release was 2000-2002. It was a comedy rpg with a lot of profanity and bad jokes starring a forum poster stand in and his friends. Most vivid memories are the intro ripped straight from Secret of Evermore where they get sucked into another world. There’s a fighting priest with the “I kick rear end for the lord” midi from Dead Alive. I think there was a Castlevania scene where you fight Dracula.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

al-azad posted:

Aaaah so many half remembered games as I lie sick in bed. Two ones

Recent game, Steam release no older than 2016. First person platform adventure game. You’re a safety engineer inspecting dilapidated public works (factory/dam/aqueduct?). Lots of puzzles and stuff. At some point you find a corpse and it becomes a murder mystery I think.

Infra? https://store.steampowered.com/app/251110/INFRA/

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
They talked about that first one in the OSHA thread recently (but that thread moves fast) and there's a lets play of it here on the forums but I can't remember the name. You could look at the LP master list.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yep. name your games better people so I can remember them!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Glad I could help.

On a semi-related note, I am so close to finally finding my white whale. I am almost 100% sure it was on a Club KidSoft demo disc, but not one that Macintosh Garden has archived. I remember the cover image being a scientist in a lab. It's an adventure game where your character is a boy wearing a safari hat, and at the very beginning of the game you can fall into a cave where you are immediately attacked by bats, and it shows the bloody bite marks on your body. Game over message: "Bat-ter luck next time, Harold!"

gently caress's sake, there is a game on one of these discs called "Harry and the Haunted House" and it isn't it.

This is Secrets of the Pyramids. Seeing a Sierra death in an edutainment game stuck with me and I looked it up myself a while ago.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Holy poo poo, thank you. I've been wondering what the hell this game was for years. I'd probably have found this a lot sooner if I'd remembered it had anything at all to do with pyramids.

This scene was helpfully uploaded on youtube under the title "nightmare fuel"... which it kinda is, really. I was like 11 when I played this, so I wasn't exactly traumatized, but it's totally not the sort of thing you'd expect on a disc full of software for elementary school kids. Warning: video is loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3f_9zWrS_4

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 24, 2019

old chubbyknees
Jul 10, 2006
Who bez?
There was a game from the 90s - I think it was educational. I remember there being human-like characters of different colours. Also, if you went to the basement, you could switch on the light, or light a match, and different scenes would play out.

Long shot, I know...

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

old chubbyknees posted:

There was a game from the 90s - I think it was educational. I remember there being human-like characters of different colours. Also, if you went to the basement, you could switch on the light, or light a match, and different scenes would play out.

Long shot, I know...

The way you're describing it makes it sound like the old animated-scene-toy genre of software (whatever it's actually called), that was weirdly massive throughout the 90's. Humongous Entertainment and their edutainment games like Freddi Fish and Putt Putt (and the many, many less-prestigious knockoffs), adventure games like The Ultimate Haunted House, hell, even functional 'work' software like the Creative Writer suite of programs (with its hideous McZee) was set up this way.

It's unfortunate in that I can think of several names off the top of my head that accurately fit the short description you gave. Without further details, it's hard to narrow it down.

ArkhamPraetor
Sep 11, 2011
Early 00s/Late 90s sidescrolling PC "puzzle" platformer, where several of the puzzles were adventure game logic nonsense. Think you could choose between the stages, I remember there being chalkboard, fungal/graveyard, and hospital themed ones. It had limited lives to do everything before having to start from the beginning. Most of the environments were hand drawn in a grainy cartoon style. I don't remember the game being particularly good but I was reminded of it recently by something and now its bothering me.

ArkhamPraetor fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 1, 2019

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

ArkhamPraetor posted:

Early 00s/Late 90s sidescrolling "puzzle" platformer, where several of the puzzles were adventure game logic nonsense. Think you could choose between the stages, I remember there being chalkboard, fungal/graveyard, and hospital themed ones. It had limited lives to do everything before having to start from the beginning. I don't remember the game being particularly good but I was reminded of it recently by something and now its bothering me.

was it a goosebumps game?

ArkhamPraetor
Sep 11, 2011

Tabletops posted:

was it a goosebumps game?

Doesn't look like it. Most of the environments were hand drawn in a grainy cartoon style. Updated original post.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

ArkhamPraetor posted:

Early 00s/Late 90s sidescrolling PC "puzzle" platformer, where several of the puzzles were adventure game logic nonsense. Think you could choose between the stages, I remember there being chalkboard, fungal/graveyard, and hospital themed ones. It had limited lives to do everything before having to start from the beginning. Most of the environments were hand drawn in a grainy cartoon style. I don't remember the game being particularly good but I was reminded of it recently by something and now its bothering me.
Was your character an egg?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dizzy_(series)

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Very old game, probably for the Commodore PET (I had a disc for the C64 with a program called "PET Emulator" that ran several games, this is one of them).

Don't remember the graphics or gameplay much, but I do remember that you were stuck somewhere (possibly a spaceship crash) and you had to avoid getting killed by giant rabbits. I think the title was "killer bunnies" or something, but any variant of that just brings up the much more recent card game.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

The game Killer Bunnies seems to have existed for that platform as it's referenced on page 92 of this magazine. If you wanted to find and play it I guess your best bet would be to see if someone's dumped those discs somewhere.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

In fact, just to be certain, I was pretty sure Creative Writer had a room like this, and looked it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czjIaqyi6-Y&t=272s In fairness, that's still a vague enough conceit for a scene it could still be something else.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

dads_work_files posted:

The game Killer Bunnies seems to have existed for that platform as it's referenced on page 92 of this magazine. If you wanted to find and play it I guess your best bet would be to see if someone's dumped those discs somewhere.

Even without tracking it down completely, there is no doubt that directory listing is exactly what I'm remembering. That's been bugging me for more than twenty years now, so thanks.

old chubbyknees
Jul 10, 2006
Who bez?

Shady Amish Terror posted:

In fact, just to be certain, I was pretty sure Creative Writer had a room like this, and looked it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czjIaqyi6-Y&t=272s In fairness, that's still a vague enough conceit for a scene it could still be something else.

Christ, that’s it

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Holy poo poo, this dredged up memories I didn't even know I had.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

When I was a child I picked up a box, a commodore 64 game, it was called "to build a better mousetrap" or something like that. Infinitive tense. Referring to the axiom, not just mousetraps in general. It was a evocative name that said, to me, gonna be a long finicky adventure collecting parts for a greater thing. It isn't the game mousetrap. I did check that.

The gameplay is making me think it's atari like. You navigated the world like in the original zelda where you'd enter a square and there might be exits to the north east south or west and it was a persistent map each time. I wish I could find it again to see some longplay but i'm clearly either wrong about the name or only the text of the box was about building a better mousetrap and the title was something different.

Just a nagging thing, it's obviously going to be a terrible game. Made frustrating because when you think you know the title and there's just nothing, well, where do I go from here? The title was all I was sure about.

poo poo while I"m here I also played some game that was like, commodore 64, art style exactly like marble madness, it was a racing game where every racer is a pair of shoes. Different styles of shoes. I want to look at the box art again. Like 30 pairs of shoes all running, no legs, or feet or anything, just the shoes, running along a path floating in an outer space void. I think the high heels were winning.

These things have got to be before 1989 but beyond that I got nothin.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

When I was a child I picked up a box, a commodore 64 game, it was called "to build a better mousetrap" or something like that. Infinitive tense. Referring to the axiom, not just mousetraps in general. It was a evocative name that said, to me, gonna be a long finicky adventure collecting parts for a greater thing. It isn't the game mousetrap. I did check that.

The gameplay is making me think it's atari like. You navigated the world like in the original zelda where you'd enter a square and there might be exits to the north east south or west and it was a persistent map each time. I wish I could find it again to see some longplay but i'm clearly either wrong about the name or only the text of the box was about building a better mousetrap and the title was something different.

This is reminding me of an educational C64 game that was about assembling logic gates. You controlled a square and could pick up and drop things (much like Adventure), some of the things were logic gates and sensors/effectors, and if you dropped them correctly they'd snap onto other pieces to make a simple circuit. I seem to remember that at the end there was a gun piece that you could use to fight some kind of monster. The monster fired shots that would slowly eat away at your square, but I don't think there was an actual death condition because I seem to remember being able to move around while being completely invisible because the monster had deleted every pixel in my sprite.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Krinkle posted:

Just a nagging thing, it's obviously going to be a terrible game. Made frustrating because when you think you know the title and there's just nothing, well, where do I go from here? The title was all I was sure about.

Are you sure you aren't thinking og Creative Contraptions?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is reminding me of an educational C64 game that was about assembling logic gates. You controlled a square and could pick up and drop things (much like Adventure), some of the things were logic gates and sensors/effectors, and if you dropped them correctly they'd snap onto other pieces to make a simple circuit. I seem to remember that at the end there was a gun piece that you could use to fight some kind of monster. The monster fired shots that would slowly eat away at your square, but I don't think there was an actual death condition because I seem to remember being able to move around while being completely invisible because the monster had deleted every pixel in my sprite.

Rocky's Boots, maybe?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Rocky's Boots, maybe?

Yep, that's it. Thanks!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Gnoman posted:

Are you sure you aren't thinking og Creative Contraptions?

That's more literally about making a mouse trap. I mean this game was zelda like. I don't think I had a weapon, I just walked around a map, exited to the east, walked around a bit, exited to the north. This map would be mostly blue, This one mostly red.

Like I remember running the long way around a screen because I didn't have a key to a blue door or whatever. I don't think you collected magnets or whatever. I think it was a key collecting adventure not a building anything adventure.
Thank you though.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Cross-posting from the Retro Gaming Megathread, where I was kindly informed of this thread's existence.

Please help me remember the name of this game:

DasNeonLicht posted:

• Point-and-click shooter, with a static field of play, and baddies emerging from cover — very Lethal Enforcers in that way, down to photo-realistic animations of the bad guys
  • It opened with an cinematic intro (video, not CGI) about how this bus full of bloodthirsty convicts (like, these guys seemed really mean) had overpowered their guards and somehow gotten ahold of a lot of guns, and it was now your job to gun down every last one of them like dogs
  • I think it had a rural or small-town setting
  • This would have been late 1996 or 1997. I'm pretty sure it was a PC application run through Windows, not DOS

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Was this a live action game?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah I would immediately look through the American Laser Games catalog if it was entirely FMV-based.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I posted in the retro thread, might be Crime Patrol 1 or 2.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah I would immediately look through the American Laser Games catalog if it was entirely FMV-based.

It was grittier and less tongue-in-cheek than any of the American Laser Games or Crime Patrol. Gameplay was not FMV, but the intro was filmed and the bad guy sprites (?) seemed photo-generated.

I think you had an opportunity to pick up automatic weapons

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Revolution X?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Reached into the recesses of my memory for the title — it was something shocking like Bloodbath...

Search turned up Bloodbath at Red Falls — definitely the game I remember

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj99zWRtvyw

With the intro cinematic here: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ozxe1

Thanks for talking through it with me!

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 3, 2019

tehpango
Sep 27, 2005
Famicontra
Looking for this Japanese freeware game from the 2000s. It was a very weird parody of Virtual On and has basically the same gameplay. It was pretty short, and I remember that the last battle is with Ronald McDonald.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Virtual On was my favorite Saturn game! I was all about the pink robot that shot hearts and kiss lasers, because it was a girl robot. What a stupid loving game :D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Any chance this is ASA: A Space Adventure?

This is a great guess, but no. The color palate was much darker.