Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I’ve said it before and I will say it again; I love that candy paint purple

Thanks! I'm really happy with how everything is coming along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Also did some Hellblasters.

This is way too teeny

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MasterSlowPoke posted:

This is way too teeny

I have no idea why.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I still haven’t received my Sotar airbrush from the Badger sale

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I still haven’t received my Sotar airbrush from the Badger sale

They posted today on their facebook that the last batch of them were getting postage and being sent out today.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I’ve said it before and I will say it again; I love that candy paint purple

Paul Wall, is that you?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Zuul the Cat posted:

They posted today on their facebook that the last batch of them were getting postage and being sent out today.

Speaking of, just received an e-mail confirmation that it’s being shipped :)

Yes, it’s me, Paul Wall. I share this account with Bun B and Killa Kyleon. Don’t tell lowtax.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Yeah my Badger sale brush got shipped out but it's somewhere approximately in postal hell since I moved right in the middle of it and forgot to update the thing I ordered in a previous year (that wasn't on Backerkit)

edit: beer that purple looks really chrome

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Brock Samsonite posted:

Yeah my Badger sale brush got shipped out but it's somewhere approximately in postal hell since I moved right in the middle of it and forgot to update the thing I ordered in a previous year (that wasn't on Backerkit)

edit: beer that purple looks really chrome

I also forgot to update the order address because it has been half a year. Hopefully the airbrushes arrive.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I also forgot to update the order address because it has been half a year. Hopefully the airbrushes arrive.

poo poo I hope so too. I just checked my tracking number: wrong house. Package gone. RIP, FML

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

i painted a model

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Hixson posted:

i painted a model

That’s a gorgeous paint job OP

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hixson posted:

i painted a model

Correction: You did a loving great job painting a model.

Mistafab
May 15, 2009

Remember gitface when I promised to kill you last?

I LIED
Did an officer in the scheme I tried out. Attempted to give him lipstick and makeup. The officers are fancy pants flamboyant dudes,

And a group shot of the other Imperial Guard stuff I did.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
You can't make out any make up but they look real solid. Pink base rims are really distracting though, I would go for a dark grey purple tone if you want something that ties in with your colour scheme .

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired
How do contrast paints feel compared to washes? I don't have a need to get them myself based on how they're advertised but I've been looking at pics and scratching my head trying to work out what theyre doing that differentiates them from washes.

So peeps that have used them - how have you found them different in application or effect?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Marzipan Pig posted:

How do contrast paints feel compared to washes? I don't have a need to get them myself based on how they're advertised but I've been looking at pics and scratching my head trying to work out what theyre doing that differentiates them from washes.

So peeps that have used them - how have you found them different in application or effect?

From what I've seen instead of base, wash, highlight. It's just glob on and get the same effect in one step. I was going to buy some and try it out, but my FLGS is selling them for $9.50 per pot. Yikes!

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I've been playing Total War: Warhammer for a few weeks and wanted to start painting the miniatures for all of those units in that game, but it seems the Age of Sigmar miniatures from the official website relate to a totally different game?

The Age of Sigmar figures do have similarities to the army I want to paint from Total Warhammer, which makes sense since AoS seems to be the current Fantasy iteration of this game. The Free Peoples army has units almost identical to The Empire faction from the Total War game, but I don't see Karl Franz or the Empire Knights units, and unfortunately the Orc units are not as similar.

After some research I found out that the original Warhammer minis have been discontinued in 2007. I know this is dumb of me to ask, but is there anyway to get my hands on some of the original boxes through Games Workshop? I tried some of the third party links from the OP, but they only have maybe one or two sets from the fantasy game, and even those are out of stock. So is Ebay my only option?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That’s a gorgeous paint job OP

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Correction: You did a loving great job painting a model.

Ty both. Just for fun I decided to time myself when painting this guy. From start to finish it took 8hrs.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

I've been playing Total War: Warhammer for a few weeks and wanted to start painting the miniatures for all of those units in that game, but it seems the Age of Sigmar miniatures from the official website relate to a totally different game?

The Age of Sigmar figures do have similarities to the army I want to paint from Total Warhammer, which makes sense since AoS seems to be the current Fantasy iteration of this game. The Free Peoples army has units almost identical to The Empire faction from the Total War game, but I don't see Karl Franz or the Empire Knights units, and unfortunately the Orc units are not as similar.

After some research I found out that the original Warhammer minis have been discontinued in 2007. I know this is dumb of me to ask, but is there anyway to get my hands on some of the original boxes through Games Workshop? I tried some of the third party links from the OP, but they only have maybe one or two sets from the fantasy game, and even those are out of stock. So is Ebay my only option?

A lot of it has just been renamed and not discontinued. Even if there has been some drop offs here and there.
Empire = Free Peoples.
Dwarves = Dispossessed.
High Elves/Dark Elves/Wood Elves = Aelves.
Lizardmen = Seraphon
Chaos Warriors = Slaves of Darkness
Vampire Counts = Legions of Nagash

But in general your best bet for a lot of the older stuff is Ebay.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Not just factions, but a lot of special heroes that are long dead in the setting were renamed to more generic sounding units. Like if you’re looking for Karl Franz he’s now listed as Freeguikd General on Griffon, specifically the griffin painted like a tiger.

This page has a list of the old armies and what their old units and characters are called now.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/25/new-and-updated-faqs-forge-world-warscrolls-and-compendium-pdfsgw-homepage-post-1/

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Marzipan Pig posted:

They are similar to a wash in that they tint the underlying coat. The difference is that your underlying coat with the Contrast paints is just a bare white/gray/bone color, instead of a "normal" paint. The Contrast primers are also pretty smooth, so the lack of surface tension means that the Contrast tends to flow to recesses, lightly tinting the highs and pooling in the lows. Washes tend to give more of an all-over tint (though they also tend to pool in the lows.)

I washed some Steel Legion years ago, visible in the background of this photo:

and I'm going to see what it looks like with Contrasts. It will also be interesting to see how much Contrast is used in the process - 10 Steel Legion took like three jars of brown.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

I hate painting faces, that is all.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The Jumpoff posted:

I hate painting faces, that is all.

I think that looks good! If you could be bothered mucking around with a tiny brush you could probably mellow down around the eyes and blend it a bit on the right cheek.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

JBP posted:

I think that looks good! If you could be bothered mucking around with a tiny brush you could probably mellow down around the eyes and blend it a bit on the right cheek.

I do have a 0 i can fiddle with, and i do think i need to redo the purple around the eyes (spellcaster unit, all of them have to have energy around the eyes imo). I mostly just don't know what color to highlight the cheeks with to make them less dark.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I haven't posted here in forever, but here's a WIP I thought you all might like. Basically, I will put lights in any tabletop thing at all given the option. Sometimes, that works out okay. This guy has a TON of space inside and really easy access to a few points of interest, so how could I not?

Two 5mm through-hole neopixels, controlled by a bluetooth LE module, so I can control them wirelessly from my phone. The whole thing powered by a little lipo pack that’ll live inside the body. (In this pic, I'm powering it from an ancient and decrepit Uno because it was a handy way to grab 5V)

I can’t find any boost converters and logic level shifters at the moment, so the lights are stuck on blue at full brightness for now until I can order some.

When it’s done, I’ll have presets to make the eyes flicker like fire, or pulse at various speeds, or perhaps psychedelic rainbow rave mode?

With the lights off, the eyes just look like bottomless sockets, which also works super well for this particular Tabletop Barbie.

Next up: knock out his mouth-hole and figure out how to get smoke coming out of it, or maybe through a couple of his shoulder/head stumps.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 4, 2019

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ork gums painting: Emperor's Children/ Carroburg/ Fulgrim highlight?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Working on some Space Wizards. The one in the middle has been a challenge with a healthy amount of conversion work.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
x-posting this guy:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Professor Shark posted:

Ork gums painting: Emperor's Children/ Carroburg/ Fulgrim highlight?

Recently I've been doing the gums with Blood for the Blood God, and the lips with Genestealer Purple highlighted with little lines of Fulgrim Pink

A quick alternative was this:

Genestealer Purple thinned with medium painted over the green skin (give's a more subtle transition)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Finally got around to finishing up and basing my angry robit boy.

Someday I'll make an entire army of Crimson fists to fight my orks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Looks awesome.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bad Munki posted:

I haven't posted here in forever, but here's a WIP I thought you all might like. Basically, I will put lights in any tabletop thing at all given the option. Sometimes, that works out okay. This guy has a TON of space inside and really easy access to a few points of interest, so how could I not?

Two 5mm through-hole neopixels, controlled by a bluetooth LE module, so I can control them wirelessly from my phone. The whole thing powered by a little lipo pack that’ll live inside the body. (In this pic, I'm powering it from an ancient and decrepit Uno because it was a handy way to grab 5V)

I can’t find any boost converters and logic level shifters at the moment, so the lights are stuck on blue at full brightness for now until I can order some.

When it’s done, I’ll have presets to make the eyes flicker like fire, or pulse at various speeds, or perhaps psychedelic rainbow rave mode?

With the lights off, the eyes just look like bottomless sockets, which also works super well for this particular Tabletop Barbie.

Next up: knock out his mouth-hole and figure out how to get smoke coming out of it, or maybe through a couple of his shoulder/head stumps.

This looks awesome! I'd love to see your updates.

I'd like to try putting lights in stuff and the bluetooth idea seems great. Where do you buy your lighting gear?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

richyp posted:

Recently I've been doing the gums with Blood for the Blood God, and the lips with Genestealer Purple highlighted with little lines of Fulgrim Pink

A quick alternative was this:

Genestealer Purple thinned with medium painted over the green skin (give's a more subtle transition)

Cool, what about the tongue?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Working on some Space Wizards. The one in the middle has been a challenge with a healthy amount of conversion work.

BROTHER TAKE THIS SKULL

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Endman posted:

BROTHER TAKE THIS SKULL

It's dangerous to go alone.

The skull eyes will definitely be glowing.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's dangerous to go alone.

The skull eyes will definitely be glowing.

gently caress yeah.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I made some progress on my desert seraphon:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Those own and now that I see them I'm pretty surprised I've never seen anyone else attempt a desert theme for them before that I can remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Those own and now that I see them I'm pretty surprised I've never seen anyone else attempt a desert theme for them before that I can remember.

Agreed and agreed! The desert style is unique and brilliantly executed! Great desert lizards!