Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

twodot posted:

I personally find the predictive claims to be super tedious. Like how am I supposed to engage with whatever sort of divination you are practicing? The end of the primaries is about a year out and you think that you have personal knowledge of the future events over the next year that needs to be shared with the world? How absurdly arrogant! There is just flatly no way to falsify "I think Biden will win" so what sort of discussion is that supposed to prompt?

I mean, that's fine, if you don't like "what do you think is gonna happen in the primary" talk, you don't have to engage in it? But it's clearly something of interest to a number of posters and relevant to the thread and we've got a long loving year ahead of us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/ZackFinkNews/status/1146581578077888513

Oh my God...:ughh:

Well, hopefully the rest of the votes will push Caban ahead, please God?

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

:yeshaha:

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Z. Autobahn posted:

I mean, that's fine, if you don't like "what do you think is gonna happen in the primary" talk, you don't have to engage in it? But it's clearly something of interest to a number of posters and relevant to the thread and we've got a long loving year ahead of us?
Equally calling out boring people who can't be bothered to put their money where their mouth is is of interest to posters and relevant to the thread, so we've got to resolve that difference of opinion somehow. You could start that process by answering my question of what sort of discussion you think "I think Biden will win" is supposed to provoke. Are you expecting "I think Biden won't win" or "I agree that Biden will win"? Something else?

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

twodot posted:

Equally calling out boring people who can't be bothered to put their money where their mouth is is of interest to posters and relevant to the thread, so we've got to resolve that difference of opinion somehow. You could start that process by answering my question of what sort of discussion you think "I think Biden will win" is supposed to provoke. Are you expecting "I think Biden won't win" or "I agree that Biden will win"? Something else?

I mean we've had tons of discussions like this so I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from? "I think Biden will win because he's got a commanding lead" "Naw, Biden will implode once the debates start but that'll mostly benefit Harris" "I don't think so, a lot of Biden's support will go to Bernie" etc etc? Like, I'm confused by your confusion. People have arguments about how things will play out all the time, whether it's politics, sports, or the finale of Game of Thrones? It's... one of the more common forms of discussion?

Like obviously it's not JUST "Biden will win", it's why you think that, why someone disagrees, etc?

Majorian posted:

Well, hopefully the rest of the votes will push Caban ahead, please God?

They said all the votes are counted, but there's still hope in a recount?

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 4, 2019

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Z. Autobahn posted:

I mean we've had tons of discussions like this so I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from? "I think Biden will win because he's got a commanding lead" "Naw, Biden will implode once the debates start but that'll mostly benefit Harris" "I don't think so, a lot of Biden's support will go to Bernie" etc etc? Like, I'm confused by your confusion. People have arguments about how things will play out all the time, whether it's politics, sports, or the finale of Game of Thrones? It's... one of the more common forms of discussion?

Like obviously it's not JUST "Biden will win", it's why you think that, why someone disagrees, etc?
Maybe I have misunderstood this subforum, but it feels extremely relevant to me that we aren't discussing Game of Thrones or sports, but rather issues that have very real impact on many very real human beings, and while those outcome are very important, speculating on outcomes independent of your desire for positive change is trash tier nonsense that belongs on betting sites and not next to people advocating for justice. If you see a person declaring all the reasons that Sanders must win these elections, and you think "My tea leaf readings belong next to this person's righteous advocacy", you aren't engaged in politics, you're engaged in a speculation market, we have betting markets for doing that, go there.
edit:
Maybe I can distill this better. What do you think is better in a politics forum: A discussion on why candidates are good or bad and who we must work to promote and who we must fight or A discussion where people make up unfalsifiable reasons future events may or may not happen? I propose the second, while interesting to many people, has no reason to live next to actual politics and should exist alongside people arguing about sports and Game of Thrones. If you would seek out to muddle real advocacy with odds making I don't see why anyone should count you an ally.

twodot fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 4, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Z. Autobahn posted:

They said all the votes are counted, but there's still hope in a recount?

Yeah, I misread some timestamps, so I thought there were actually some more stuff up in the air.

https://twitter.com/chrisychung/status/1146431155954077697
https://twitter.com/chrisychung/status/1146587707231150081

Again, I'm not a conspiracy monger, but a lot of people are going to feel pretty loving cheated if Caban doesn't win the recount.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

"ruled invalid"

that is a hell of a margin to clear on so few ballots

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Real loving neato watching the Queens democrats pull a “one weird trick to win elections, liberals hate it!” in real-time.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Oh no will Malinda Katz qualify for the next debate ahead of the crystal lady?

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

twodot posted:

Maybe I can distill this better. What do you think is better in a politics forum: A discussion on why candidates are good or bad and who we must work to promote and who we must fight or A discussion where people make up unfalsifiable reasons future events may or may not happen? I propose the second, while interesting to many people, has no reason to live next to actual politics and should exist alongside people arguing about sports and Game of Thrones. If you would seek out to muddle real advocacy with odds making I don't see why anyone should count you an ally.

I mean, I see zero reason the two can't co-exist, but also it's not like this thread is some sort of hotbed for rational debate on which candidates are good or bad given that any opinion short of "Bernie is the alpha and the omega and Warren is a fascist Reaganite" is deluged in shitposts. Like sure if we had a bunch of genuine Biden advocates or whatever, there'd maybe be some actual debate, but given that the only meaningful disagreement is if someone loves Bernie or SUPER-loves Bernie, it's weird to present it as the former anyway.

Like if you want a thread for leftist advocacy and action or a Campaigning For Bernie thread, I think that's valid and you should make it, but I think discussing what we think will happen in the Dem primary is an entirely reasonable use of the Dem primary thread.

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 4, 2019

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I super love Bernie.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Yeah I would prefer if the Bernie stans got their own little fiefdom, and this thread could be reserved for horse race aficionados (we're all smoking cigars)

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Calibanibal posted:

Yeah I would prefer if the Bernie stans got their own little fiefdom, and this thread could be reserved for horse race aficionados (we're all smoking cigars)

Unironically this

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I'm in favor of Z Autobahn being quarantined to his own thread, personally

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
While certainly interesting and important, the Queens DA race is not relevant to this thread.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

While certainly interesting and important, the Queens DA race is not relevant to this thread.

Well, hold on a second - are we stipulating that this thread is just for 2020 primaries, just for the presidential primaries, or something else? Because if you just want it for 2020 races, fair enough, but I don't think we should exclude downticket races from this thread.

(I'm not trying to be cute, this is an important thing to stipulate)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, in the sense that it's a sign how the establishment will openly rig things when they can get away with it I'd say it is, but fair.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Majorian posted:

Well, hold on a second - are we stipulating that this thread is just for 2020 primaries, just for the presidential primaries, or something else? Because if you just want it for 2020 races, fair enough, but I don't think we should exclude downticket races from this thread.

(I'm not trying to be cute, this is an important thing to stipulate)

We’ve clarified this before but this thread is explicitly, exclusively for the presidential primaries, which is why that is the only thing in the OP. It is not in the title because that makes the title too long, and because it is usually understood in this forum that when you say “the Democratic primary” without qualification it means the presidential one.

The State and Local Thread is where that goes.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, in the sense that it's a sign how the establishment will openly rig things when they can get away with it I'd say it is, but fair.

Yeah fwiw what I said earlier about being suspicious when something suspicious happens, this is that something suspicious

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

We’ve clarified this before but this thread is explicitly, exclusively for the presidential primaries, which is why that is the only thing in the OP. It is not in the title because that makes the title too long, and because it is usually understood in this forum that when you say “the Democratic primary” without qualification it means the presidential one.

The State and Local Thread is where that goes.

Cool, works for me.

e: for some content:

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1146520655480983552

They really aren't even trying to be subtle about it at this point.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 4, 2019

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Oh Snapple! posted:

And what the hell is this

You're in the succ thread, friend.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/zaidjilani/status/1146639895382941701?s=21

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

This is such a weird thing for her to say. Is it just kind of a lawyer mental tic that she's exhibiting when she does this? "Oops, that thing that I said last week that everybody loved? Yeah, the opposite of that."

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Majorian posted:

This is such a weird thing for her to say. Is it just kind of a lawyer mental tic that she's exhibiting when she does this? "Oops, that thing that I said last week that everybody loved? Yeah, the opposite of that."

It’s the tell tale sign of terminal Consultantitis.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Harris is a sociopathic monster, her retaining power alone is a damning indictment of this country.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Majorian posted:

Cool, works for me.

e: for some content:

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1146520655480983552

They really aren't even trying to be subtle about it at this point.

Oh NOW I get why this thread is feverishly posting polls every page that mean nothing

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

harris knows exactly what she's doing. she knows nobody will notice her backtrack on any of this. how many people know she invited aipac to her office after making a big show of skipping the conference? gonna be awful if biden does get knocked out but we're stuck with her.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Thing is, by winning that debate, she's put a target on her back.

Yeah, most of the knives are still going to have Biden's name on them, but you can rest assured that there are a few being sharpened for Harris as well now.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

the_steve posted:

Thing is, by winning that debate, she's put a target on her back.

Yeah, most of the knives are still going to have Biden's name on them, but you can rest assured that there are a few being sharpened for Harris as well now.

As there should be.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Z. Autobahn posted:

imho this is a pretty bad poll for anyone but Biden, because it's the only poll that shows the debates not having a meaningful effect. Like if all polls showed this, the conclusion would be "Biden is invincible"

One thing that's often forgotten in this thread is that Bernie's main strategy for the primary is to upend the traditional likely voter model. If, as the polls predict with their weighing, the vast majority of 2020 primary voters will skew extremely old, college educated, and wealthy, Bernie will likely lose. If, however, his campaign succeeds in firing up young people and the working class, a lot of states will end up looking like 2016 Michigan.

With that perspective in mind, I'd say that seeing Bernie this close to Biden with traditional likely voters is not a bad sign.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i never voted in a primary until sanders ran in 2016.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Office Pig posted:

Harris is a sociopathic monster, her retaining power alone is a damning indictment of this country.

more like a stone cold sadist

she can emote, but she delights in punishment because in her eyes, all crimes are equal because as she says it, she doesn't feel sorry if you commit some infraction on society no matter how minor, you absolutely must be punished for it.

already voiced my disgust in the better politics forum and honestly, she terrifies me because her track record indicates that she absolutely would crack down as president, HARD.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/niktaylorde/status/1145281507449286656

thank u, next~

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
its laughable that Kamala had a teachable moment on the national stage to Joe Biden since she gleefully used the 1994 Crime Bill that Joe Biden helped sign to boost her career by wielding the law like a machine gun because

she's a freaken cop

they're all in on it together and don't want to change a loving thing, its absolutely stunning. Whatever ideal notion you had about liberalism returning a "balance" has been since long gone and left to the loving wolves and they're all just raiding American communities to profit off your misery under the guise of bipartisanship

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Barring a huge surge before the cutoff that apparently kicks in around July 10(?) for some bizarre reason as opposed to the week or day prior to the split debates at the literal end of the month, at least the Gravel campaign is going to push what remainder funds they have towards donations to Flint and whatnot---as well as perhaps some sort of foundation to keep the general message going as something of a spiritual successor to Gravel's desperate bid for NI4D. He probably isn't in the full scope of debate history, but I like to think that he was indeed the only candidate to wind up taking the bus to get to what debates he could out of sheer necessity~

Insane to think what kind of burn through and outright waste totals the fundraising on the whole is going to amount to this time around---even for just the primary when reckoning the kind of money even the likes of Mayor Pete managing to wring out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lastgirl posted:

more like a stone cold sadist

she can emote, but she delights in punishment because in her eyes, all crimes are equal because as she says it, she doesn't feel sorry if you commit some infraction on society no matter how minor, you absolutely must be punished for it.

already voiced my disgust in the better politics forum and honestly, she terrifies me because her track record indicates that she absolutely would crack down as president, HARD.

She's not just a cop she's a prosecutor

Think about what it takes to look at the current American criminal justice system and go "yes, that's good. That is a system that is working. We should sacrifice more lives on its altar."

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Insane to think what kind of burn through and outright waste totals the fundraising on the whole is going to amount to this time around---even for just the primary when reckoning the kind of money even the likes of Mayor Pete managing to wring out.

That's mostly rich people money, though. Can't say I'm feeling too sorry for them when they let themselves get grifted.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Majorian posted:

every single democrat is terrified of giving an actual straight response and instead falls back onto some mealy-mouthed garbage like "well, busing is in our toolbox, and it all must be considered carefully"

good thing that bernie is not a democrat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

She's not just a prosecutor. She's a cop.