Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Generally lot of the armies need a start collecting box + one or two other cheapish boxes to reach 1000 points

The cheapest ~1000 point army I found was “start collecting Disciples of Tzeentch’ and the ‘eyes of the nine’ shadespire box. I’m pretty sure it’s a bad army, but it looks really fun. You don’t have any summon models, until your units dies, but it’s quite cheap. You can also get the ultimate Chad, the ogroid thamaturge, and be cool as hell. Also, he seems really strong.

Two start collecting beast of chaos boxes makes a cool army i think, but they are supposedly bottom of their of the pile. Flesh eater courts basically only need start collecting + a box of ghouls and a box of flayers and they’re good for 1000 points.

e: vvvv yeah, for getting two opposing armies the soul war box is very good, and not very much more expensive than a single start collecting. Having the wrong unit sizes in there is really stupid though.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

If you can find someone to split a Soul Wars and Tempest of Souls box, and have a local shop that sells at ~20% off MSRP, you can get a lot of Nighthaunt or Stormcast for a better price than other armies. If you keep the rulebook this will cost a bit over $100, if you trade/sell the rule book it will be under $100.

Nighthaunt has 220 & 980 points, for about 1200 total. I think Stormcast ends up around 1360 points. The units don't match squad sizes, so there's some creative accounting there.

I built a spreadsheet a while back to figure out the pricing. The ebay prices have probably changed since I made this. It's about the same price to split a Tempest of Souls box as just the Chainrasp in that box would cost by themselves, which is goofy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Being easily swayed and a fan of sharks and eels, I'm a proud owner of some fish elves now, gently caress you all.

I have really good luck at wild sea turtle sightings when I snorkel so I believe that my whole life has led to this moment

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Being easily swayed and a fan of sharks and eels, I'm a proud owner of some fish elves now, gently caress you all.

I have really good luck at wild sea turtle sightings when I snorkel so I believe that my whole life has led to this moment

I can recommend medium'd down contrast paints for quick skin work.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Anyone else have experience/advice on using the contrast paints? I'm starting some lizards with them (sooooo nice to paint after the endless FEC muted colors). So far only tried out a test model from the start collecting, but it did seem to paint up fast and good, though I added some regular paint highlights to make it pop a bit more. When/how should you water them down, any other tips on blending or other techniques?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Desiden posted:

Anyone else have experience/advice on using the contrast paints? I'm starting some lizards with them (sooooo nice to paint after the endless FEC muted colors). So far only tried out a test model from the start collecting, but it did seem to paint up fast and good, though I added some regular paint highlights to make it pop a bit more. When/how should you water them down, any other tips on blending or other techniques?

I came here to ask the exact same question about the exact same Army. I want my saurus Warriors to be colorful and vibrant not just one big color blob, has anybody had any luck transitioning from one contrast paint into another in an organic way or is there anyone who can recommend some techniques for doing so?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I think contrast medium is key when it comes to blends, and for a lot of the colors it's really necessary for base coats too. Terradon turqouise, for instance, is nearly unuseable without being thinned down 1:1 with medium.

When blending, what's worked for me so far has been to apply the paint in a thin coat, let it dry, and then feather in a light coat of your second color over top. Mengel miniatures also talked about a method on his blog where he pre-applied some pure medium over the first color and then went back with a tiny dab of the second color to create the blend. He did that on a slave test model and it looked good, but I haven't been able to replicate the method based on his description.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
One thing you can do is, after priming it with wraith bone or grey seer, is paint a few areas of scale with the other color. Once the contrast color goes on it’ll give you some variation in color and give a subtle mottled look to the scales.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Drybrush the scales?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I think this blue carnosaur looks real good considering how quickly it's painted. The blue -> dark blue transitions are a little sudden, but I would be super happy with that result. It's Kris from miniwargaming using contrasts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93PBRqZ8r4U

Macdeo Lurjtuxs suggestion is also quite good from what i've seen. Since the contrast are transparent, putting a dark grey or light brown or something underneath in places where you want a darker color should look good.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Mengel Minis is a rad dude

Ima copy the gently caress out of these.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I think this blue carnosaur looks real good considering how quickly it's painted. The blue -> dark blue transitions are a little sudden, but I would be super happy with that result. It's Kris from miniwargaming using contrasts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93PBRqZ8r4U

Macdeo Lurjtuxs suggestion is also quite good from what i've seen. Since the contrast are transparent, putting a dark grey or light brown or something underneath in places where you want a darker color should look good.

Hey, that’s exactly the sort of contrast paint demo video I was looking for!

Geedubs models have so much individual detail and kinda just want a psychedelic colour palette so I’m a bit scared to go back to them after just painting army men in “don’t shoot me” greenbrown and Death Guard in... “lol shoot me” greenbrown.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I made some progress on my desert seraphon:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Those look drat amazing.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
y'know I kinda getting used to the expectation that GW was only doing bespoke individual character models going forward and I'm actually kinda surprised the Evocators box gives the express option of building one as a Knight-Incantor.

still makes the 5-model matched play unit kinda weird.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I, too, am dipping my toes into AoS with Seraphons. I don't know any of the rules, and my question is regarding assembly of the Saurus warriors (I've chosen to run them as spears): Is it worth it to bring a drummer and a standard bearer?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

R0ckfish posted:

I made some progress on my desert seraphon:

Those look really great!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

I, too, am dipping my toes into AoS with Seraphons. I don't know any of the rules, and my question is regarding assembly of the Saurus warriors (I've chosen to run them as spears): Is it worth it to bring a drummer and a standard bearer?

Theres never a reason not to. They dont give up weapons for it, even if theyre not on the model, and they cost no points.

Its a bit of an awkward layover from when aos was more open ended at launch and they should stop phrasing it as a "you may" thing because you wont ever not do it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Spent some time yesterday building a Magmadroth and I have to say the kit is 3000% less of a nightmare to build than the Zombie Dragon was. Got it about half primed with my airbrush this morning before it stopped spraying so going to have to give it a deep clean after work tonight.

Still, progress feels good.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/07/coming-soon-something-for-everyone/

The Sylvaneth release is finally here

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Neat! Any big rule changes for them or mainly just point tweaks and stuff?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Neat! Any big rule changes for them or mainly just point tweaks and stuff?

Drycha got reworked, Alarielle got some skill changes, spite revs got buffs, 2+ re-rolling durthu got nerfed, a few others things changed. It's not too revolutionary, but there are some QoL improvements, some reining in of outlier broken things and buffing up under-used things. Overall a decent enough battletome from the leaks I've seen. Some people are in sky-is-falling mode though so ymmv.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Plavski posted:

Drycha got reworked, Alarielle got some skill changes, spite revs got buffs, 2+ re-rolling durthu got nerfed, a few others things changed. It's not too revolutionary, but there are some QoL improvements, some reining in of outlier broken things and buffing up under-used things. Overall a decent enough battletome from the leaks I've seen. Some people are in sky-is-falling mode though so ymmv.

The reason they're in sky-is-falling mode is that apparently the new terrain recommendations for matched play make it very, very difficult to use Sylvan Wildwoods at all, which is kind of important for that army.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Strobe posted:

The reason they're in sky-is-falling mode is that apparently the new terrain recommendations for matched play make it very, very difficult to use Sylvan Wildwoods at all, which is kind of important for that army.

Nah, they were like that way before GHB came out, back when the leak dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hon4iCTwnMY

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The first thing the dudes y’all about in that video is the challenge of using the new terrain for Sylvaneth. And also how much more terrain sylvaneth players need to buy relative to other faction terrain pieces.

RIP hope it is better for everyone

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
GW said they were gonna fix the terrain thing in the FAQ which hasn't come out yet, as for before then? Everyone is always in sky is falling mode when a new dex hits.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Their new Terrain Piece looks like it will be easier to use than the old one.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

GW said they were gonna fix the terrain thing in the FAQ which hasn't come out yet, as for before then? Everyone is always in sky is falling mode when a new dex hits.

I dunno, skaven, fec, fyreslayers, goblin, and slaanesh players have been raving about their updates, right from the off. This has been the most muted response this year. It might change when it gets a wider release and the less spergy, more upbeat reviewers and players get their hands on it though.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

R0ckfish posted:

So I had a start collecting box of seraphon and a bunch of contrast paints, so I decided to have a go at making a scheme that I will be able to finish an army with.

Having taken pictures I might push the scale highlights further, but for 4-5 hours I am ok with how they turned out.

Beautiful work!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/08/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-update-now-livegw-homepage-post-3/

New FAQ and update is live by the way-

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Seems like they corrected the factions terrain issue, and am I reading it wrong or do Sylvaneth players now get to place wyldwood as part of initial terrain setup?

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
I'm guessing the +20 points to the terrorgeist ghoul king is not going to stop the grousing in my club about that unit. The +40 to the archregent might soothe some butthurt, though 480 for 2 is still pretty good.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

It's a good day to be a Gloomspite Gitz player!

Also, Sylvaneth preview up:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/08/battletome-preview-sylvanethgw-homepage-post-1

Plavski fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 8, 2019

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I'm reading my new GHB and it looks like seraphon had the points of its good stuff go up, and it's bad stuff go down but not enough. Looks like they're not really competitive at based off of various internet shrieking. People seem to be mad about the razordons I'll never be able to afford.
I'm a beer and whatever player with this game but it's good to know where your army stands competitively, are they still decent?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The internet would screech if every unit was perfectly costed. The redeploy deepstrike is guaranteed now instead of having a 1/3 chance of your unit sitting their with a dumb look and going nowhere; that's always going to be really good with big units, especially since it's still possible to get multiple bonuses you charge range.

Bastilladons can still get a 3++ rerollable save; Scar Veterans on Carnosaur can still go infinite to nuke any monster in the game. It's for.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Strobe posted:

The internet would screech if every unit was perfectly costed. The redeploy deepstrike is guaranteed now instead of having a 1/3 chance of your unit sitting their with a dumb look and going nowhere; that's always going to be really good with big units, especially since it's still possible to get multiple bonuses you charge range.

Bastilladons can still get a 3++ rerollable save; Scar Veterans on Carnosaur can still go infinite to nuke any monster in the game. It's for.

Hey, sounds great! Thanks for the take.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm reading my new GHB and it looks like seraphon had the points of its good stuff go up, and it's bad stuff go down but not enough. Looks like they're not really competitive at based off of various internet shrieking. People seem to be mad about the razordons I'll never be able to afford.
I'm a beer and whatever player with this game but it's good to know where your army stands competitively, are they still decent?

Seraphon won Adepticon this year. They're pretty competitive alright.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

That's so cool that there's a stegadon in that list, all I hear is people complain about it so that's exciting to see.

Edit: how does he have evocators? Bottom says he has no allies, but I'm pretty bad at this game so probably missing a rule.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 8, 2019

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Seems like a net neutral change to me. Skinks got a little bit more expensive but the new spell lore is pretty decent and lords of space and time got an upgrade imo. I wish the saurus discounts were steeper, as it is they are still not really viable.

E: Played some games last weekend where my bastiladon was an absolute unit. 2+ save with mystic shield and 4+ MW save is no joke. I had him tanking an objective with nearly my opponent's entire sylvaneth force wailing on him and doing almost no damage.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Great Rememberer is the best general trait in that Battletome and is arguably Top 5 overall. It's not close.