Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Doc M posted:

Doesn't matter how advanced his suit is and how much bigger the budget is in general, seeing Batman in broad daylight like this always makes me think I'm looking at the Adam West TV show (aka the best Batman).

yeah. it also doesn't help that the nolan suit just kinda sucks in general. like yeah its "realistic" but ehh. give me the arkham or even 89 suits any day.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

sexpig by night posted:

alright it was some other thing thing when there's some clumsy interruption to his banter/villain speech stuff V:shobon:V

yea that's the really fuckin weird thing. If anything Discovery should have been this weird super niche old school Trek thing because who gives a gently caress about a wide net when your game is making the nerds pay 10 bucks a month to watch? Somehow they did the wrong thing in every possible choice!

Kinda says a lot that the Seth McFarland vanity project is a better and more well regarded Star Trek TV revival than the actual Star Trek TV revival

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Kinda says a lot that the Seth McFarland vanity project is a better and more well regarded Star Trek TV revival than the actual Star Trek TV revival

That’s because Seth McFarland is a true blue Star Trek fan, while a lot of the minds behind Actual Trek these days are often cynical or fair-weather folks like Alex Kurtzman. I mean, it could be worse, it could be Roberto Orci in charge, but at the end of the day The Orville comes from a place of love, while Discovery comes from a place of CBS Wants Money.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

ArfJason posted:

is 3blue1brown considered an internet personality?

Given that there's this post, sure!

https://twitter.com/ZachWeiner/status/1073927072265859077

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

sick as hell, i love his channel and numberphile, and recently he did a video on Fourier Series, he had so much leftover material from it that he made this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qgreAUpPwM

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

That’s because Seth McFarland is a true blue Star Trek fan, while a lot of the minds behind Actual Trek these days are often cynical or fair-weather folks like Alex Kurtzman. I mean, it could be worse, it could be Roberto Orci in charge, but at the end of the day The Orville comes from a place of love, while Discovery comes from a place of CBS Wants Money.

Reminder that Orci deleted his twitter because he is a 9/11 truther and people made fun of his tweets about 9/11 being an inside job. How he still gets work is beyond me.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, sorry, I was being more than a little unfair, given everything I heard about it. I guess the point I was trying to make was that while people may have expected it to be good, I don’t think anyone expected it to overtake the continuation of its own inspiration AND I was being an insufferable edgelord about it.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 4, 2019

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I can't wait for Harry Bomberguy to do a video about the HBO series where it's just BBC Sherlock again except everyone is a Japanese woman.

Because it's actually interesting to compare the two, I think, and it's weird to see a show that is ostensibly better but then redoes stupid plot points from the british show presumedly just because the BBC did them

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 4, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I haven't watched The Orville outside of one-and-a-half episodes, but it does sound like it's a good spiritual successor to Star Trek, albeit with more of a comedic bent. I was also interested to see Brannon Braga produced it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

I haven't watched The Orville outside of one-and-a-half episodes, but it does sound like it's a good spiritual successor to Star Trek, albeit with more of a comedic bent. I was also interested to see Brannon Braga produced it.

The Orville is loving weird, especially the second season (which was, straight up, promoted as having "less comedy" in it--possibly a first in TV history). There is, for example, an episode about a hostage situation which is taken completely seriously by everyone involved, but then occasionally the show cuts back to the ship where a weird comic relief alien played by Patrick Warburton eat things grossly so Seth McFunny can do reaction faces and the laugh track can get some use.

Tonally it's completely hosed and also Seth Mcfarlane cannot act to save his life

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
McFarlane may be aware of that. He's really taken a step back in the second season and let it become an ensemble show with him in a mostly straight man role.

It's still weird that a show that started out as "Maybe as good as Galaxy Quest if we're lucky" is now just more episodes of TNG with a few jokes added. Although the occasional McFarlane trademark is pretty great, like when he says gently caress it and lets the show's orchestra do a showtunes concert as a major part of an episode because he's a big band/orchestra nerd.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

corn in the bible posted:

The Orville is loving weird, especially the second season (which was, straight up, promoted as having "less comedy" in it--possibly a first in TV history). There is, for example, an episode about a hostage situation which is taken completely seriously by everyone involved, but then occasionally the show cuts back to the ship where a weird comic relief alien played by Patrick Warburton eat things grossly so Seth McFunny can do reaction faces and the laugh track can get some use.

Tonally it's completely hosed and also Seth Mcfarlane cannot act to save his life

Yea it's probably the best example of why Seth McFarlane should A) be allowed to just do whatever he likes because he actually has some good taste when not churning out Family Guy and Ted poo poo, and B) should also not be allowed to act in anything. Orville never really found it's right tone but the heart was there and it made up for it where you had genuinely solid, very trek like, plotlines where captain Seth and Not Seth Green his best friend have to go undercover in an evil alien base and they learn oh right the evil aliens are bad but not everyone there is some heartless monster and there's actually hope if they can help them overcome their oppressive leadership, and they have to grapple with this plan they have that's basically 'we're gonna wipe a ship full of both civilian and military people to protect a colony of our people from their super weapon'. It's very Trek, it even comes back to haunt them in a later episode, but yea it's made kinda weird when they have to splice in these random jokes because 'wacky Seth McFarlane project!!!!!'

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Augus posted:

it’s obvious that’s what it’s supposed to be but the line delivery is really bad and doesn’t flow like an actual conversation and the direction and timing feels all off so it ends up sounding like “big guy for you”

That's where the baneposting meme came from, there was a leak of that convo a while before the movie came out and people loved that line.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

I can't wait for Harry Bomberguy to do a video about the HBO series where it's just BBC Sherlock again except everyone is a Japanese woman.

Because it's actually interesting to compare the two, I think, and it's weird to see a show that is ostensibly better but then redoes stupid plot points from the british show presumedly just because the BBC did them

wait there's a takarazuka revue version of sherlock?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
he should binge and review Elementary, it's actually a real solid Sherlock Holmes show

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sexpig by night posted:

Yea it's probably the best example of why Seth McFarlane should A) be allowed to just do whatever he likes because he actually has some good taste when not churning out Family Guy and Ted poo poo, and B) should also not be allowed to act in anything. Orville never really found it's right tone but the heart was there and it made up for it where you had genuinely solid, very trek like, plotlines where captain Seth and Not Seth Green his best friend have to go undercover in an evil alien base and they learn oh right the evil aliens are bad but not everyone there is some heartless monster and there's actually hope if they can help them overcome their oppressive leadership, and they have to grapple with this plan they have that's basically 'we're gonna wipe a ship full of both civilian and military people to protect a colony of our people from their super weapon'. It's very Trek, it even comes back to haunt them in a later episode, but yea it's made kinda weird when they have to splice in these random jokes because 'wacky Seth McFarlane project!!!!!'

I think the reason The Orville works at all is it generally understands when it's time to put the jokes away and be serious for a plot. And even the jokes that linger tend to be just brief filler conversation or asides rather than pumping the brakes on the whole scene to Tell A Joke.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think the reason The Orville works at all is it generally understands when it's time to put the jokes away and be serious for a plot. And even the jokes that linger tend to be just brief filler conversation or asides rather than pumping the brakes on the whole scene to Tell A Joke.

oh yea for sure, it works because they know jokes should be the background, I just kinda wonder why even do the jokes at all? Like, it feels like he got kinda roped into 'sure we'll finance your Star Trek fan project, but you gotta make it funny, funny man' because I can't think of a joke that I saw that didn't feel very phoned in and tacked on.

I guess I'm being unfair though, since I am counting 'jokes' and 'funny moments' differently. There's some genuinely funny moments when it's just kinda 'the banality of serving on a space ship in this era is funny to a viewer in 2019 Earth' like in one of the first episodes one of the new crew just randomly asks what the captain's policy for snacks and drinks on the bridge is. That's a funny moment but it feels way different than the 'and smash cut to the captain having to watch a diplomat eat a big ugly bug' kinda jokes that they sprinkle in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sexpig by night posted:

oh yea for sure, it works because they know jokes should be the background, I just kinda wonder why even do the jokes at all? Like, it feels like he got kinda roped into 'sure we'll finance your Star Trek fan project, but you gotta make it funny, funny man' because I can't think of a joke that I saw that didn't feel very phoned in and tacked on.

I guess I'm being unfair though, since I am counting 'jokes' and 'funny moments' differently. There's some genuinely funny moments when it's just kinda 'the banality of serving on a space ship in this era is funny to a viewer in 2019 Earth' like in one of the first episodes one of the new crew just randomly asks what the captain's policy for snacks and drinks on the bridge is. That's a funny moment but it feels way different than the 'and smash cut to the captain having to watch a diplomat eat a big ugly bug' kinda jokes that they sprinkle in.

My personal theory is he had to sneak it by the studio in a form like the far more family guy-esque pilot to get it green-lit. Because it shifts hard to far more Star Trek-esque writing immediately afterwards.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My personal theory is he had to sneak it by the studio in a form like the far more family guy-esque pilot to get it green-lit. Because it shifts hard to far more Star Trek-esque writing immediately afterwards.

yea I'd believe that, there's a massive shift between the first, like, two episodes and literally every other episodes. Like episode 1 literally opens on him walking in on his wife boning a blue dude who I wanna say shoots blue jizz on the bed or something, and every other episode is just 'yes we're serious space ship people who sometimes will make a passing joke to each other as we work'.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

wait there's a takarazuka revue version of sherlock?

Not quite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0FIUz5OpT4

e: Shihori Kanjiya as Dr. Wato ("Wato-san")
:allears:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 4, 2019

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Yeah no. The Orville is just cheap TNG fanfiction garbage.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Miss Sherlock is fantastic.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

grittyreboot posted:

It's also the best Star Trek currently being produced.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

grittyreboot posted:

Yeah but so is Voyager

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Yeah but so is Enterprise

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i'm revising my previous response from "currently being produced" to "in the last two decades".

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Yeah but so is Voyager

that's not fair to voyager. it tried pretty hard to differentiate itself from tng.

it sucked a whole lot of rear end and pretty much killed my love for star trek, but it definitely was not an attempt to just be another tng.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/_DanArrows/status/1146697105940942848

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Why can't we get DS9 fanfiction dammit.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

holy poo poo what

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmao gently caress youtube

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Goa Tse-tung posted:

holy poo poo what
google and youtube are pro-nazi platforms, this shouldn't be a surprise.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Captain Invictus posted:

google and youtube are pro-nazi platforms, this shouldn't be a surprise.

no they're not, you see they had a pride flag on their twitter page and therefore

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you want youtube to ban extremist content, yet you complain when they start banning Germans from the site, there's no pleasing you people

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

get that OUT of my face posted:

Speaking of RLM, I watched the Star Trek Discovery Season 2 Re:View. Something I walked away with: presumably, Discovery wasn't put on CBS proper because of a lack of audience. Putting it on streaming means that they don't have to worry about pulling in a wider range of views as much, and can cater to the true fans. So why the hell did they make it just another generic, big-explosions-and-epic-battles sci-fi thing? Why shoehorn in a season-long arc that fails to be well-written or coherent? What's wrong with a purely episodic format? None of this needed to happen.

Someone in charge on second season was a huge Moffat era Doctor Who fan, such a disaster

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

by "not seth green" do we mean "the kid from critters"???

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I'm still really disappointed we didn't get a 100% Bryan Fuller helmed Discovery

Edit: vvvvvv They really could have had some fun if they'd gone full psycopathic dictator with Janeway. Voyager is SO MANY missed opportunities.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 4, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

but it definitely was not an attempt to just be another tng.

I can tell you that's absolutely not true. Rick Berman mandated zero continuity was allowed because that sweet, sweet syndication money meant people would get confused if they saw episodes out of order late at night. The Starfleet vs Marquis crew dynamic was put to bed by episode 3 in favour of a perfectly homogenized crew (again, Rick Berman mandate), and outside of being in the Delta Quadrant it may as well be TNG with a ship full of joyless mannequins and a psychopathic dictator for a captain (again, Rick Berman on the TNG-redux thing). The only two cast who consistently put effort in were Robert Picardo and Jeri Ryan, the rest were total driftwood.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
A lot of that was definitely directing though. A lot of the cast have done great outside of Voyager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Remember that the humans on Voyager were all told not to show emotion so that the aliens would stand out more.