Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

i think that if you aren't good enough to beat a game you just shouldn't get to beat that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rutibex posted:

i'm the opposite of you. i play SOTN back in the day but i never played any of the DS games or the modern indy Metroidvanias (except Rogue Legacy, which was fun). i am curious, what are the five metroidvanaias that are better than Bloodstained?

I'm purely going by how much fun I had, not by game design/mechanics, so I wouldn't say my list documents "the better ones", but simply the ones I liked more (maybe due to gameplay, maybe due to story, maybe due to athmosphere, or all of them combined) than Bloodstained. In no particular order:

Metroid 2 - Samus Returns remake
Hollow Knight
Iconoclasts
Ori
Xeodrifter (maybe not, but it felt a lot more polished, and had very sound game mechanics that worked wonderfully)

Again, this is just personal preference...Bloodstained somehow just doesn't "grip" me, and the bad Switch port doesn't help either.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Caesar Saladin posted:

i think that if you aren't good enough to beat a game you just shouldn't get to beat that game

But have you given careful consideration to *long winded argument about accessibility and how you hate disabled people if you can't beat the game via a menu option*

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Taima posted:

But have you given careful consideration to *long winded argument about accessibility and how you hate disabled people if you can't beat the game via a menu option*

disabled people can be super sick at games, its the games journalists who are terrible at them

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tuo posted:

I'm purely going by how much fun I had, not by game design/mechanics, so I wouldn't say my list documents "the better ones", but simply the ones I liked more (maybe due to gameplay, maybe due to story, maybe due to athmosphere, or all of them combined) than Bloodstained. In no particular order:

Hollow Knight
Iconoclasts
Ori
Xeodrifter (maybe not, but it felt a lot more polished, and had very sound game mechanics that worked wonderfully)

Again, this is just personal preference...Bloodstained somehow just doesn't "grip" me, and the bad Switch port doesn't help either.

i thought ori was o.k. but that was it. it was never really grabbing and its navigation abilities were way too linear.

if its bosses were more forgiving, i think valdis story would be a top tier metroidvania. great exploration, mild opportunity for sequence breaking, lots of navigation options and plenty of fun secrets to find. but as it stands, you have to restart the boss fights a hundred times because you get permanently penalized if you get hit by them even once, or take more than 60-120 seconds to kill them, so every run has to be pixel perfect or else.

Caesar Saladin posted:

disabled people can be super sick at games, its the games journalists who are terrible at them

this of course doesn't stop journos from deflecting their lack of skill into a fake argument that "well a disabled person certainly couldn't play this game"

true accessibility options are like, do your options and visual design account for colorblind players. can you tune it so deaf players can still complete your game. remapping keys, that's a very basic and very common accessibility thing. field of vision, options for changing either contrast or icons to make it more readable at the cost of whatever stylizing you put into your UI.

":qq: game too hard :qq:" has nothing to do with accessibility, it's strictly a question of can anyone play your game as successfully as a fully-abled player of equal skill.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 4, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think every game should come with a single difficulty setting thats the intended experience and then modifiers to that experience for players to adjust if they want to for whatever reason.

There should be a separate menu of "yo make the colors not be impossible for me to differentiate"

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'd call my easy mode "Game Journalist Mode" and just bask in the reactions

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh if you adjust the difficulty in anyway before playing the game it plays the clip of Leah Chase reprimanding Obama for seasoning gumbo he hasnt even tried yet

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

I think every game should come with a single difficulty setting thats the intended experience and then modifiers to that experience for players to adjust if they want to for whatever reason.

i have heard the complaints and am including global damage and speed multipliers in my next game. but it's scaled 1:1 so players do double damage and move 20% faster too, it's not a difficulty setting so much as it is a game pace setting

half damage, 20% slower... well, that's not an option. if what i consider to be the normal pace is too slow for most people, i'm pretty sure nobody wants anything slower than that

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The White Dragon posted:

i have heard the complaints and am including global damage and speed multipliers in my next game. but it's scaled 1:1 so players do double damage and move 20% faster too, it's not a difficulty setting so much as it is a game pace setting

half damage, 20% slower... well, that's not an option. if what i consider to be the normal pace is too slow for most people, i'm pretty sure nobody wants anything slower than that

You'd be surprised. That said, if you want the easiest mode, it's called Let's Play.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's a stupid assumption to make.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The best LPs are those longplays on YouTube where no-one talks and the games are completed briskly but not perfectly

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The best LPs are those longplays on YouTube where no-one talks and the games are completed briskly but not perfectly

Note: not helpful when watching a video of a person solving a 4x4 sliding block puzzle to help you solve it and they gently caress up halfway and then have to go back unfuck itself then continue.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's a stupid assumption to make.

it's an informed assumption. nobody said dragon game was too fast but it was often said it was too slow. not that you would have paid attention to any of these reactions, because they are completely irrelevant data to someone who didn't work on it

JollyBoyJohn posted:

this

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The White Dragon posted:

i thought ori was o.k. but that was it. it was never really grabbing and its navigation abilities were way too linear.

I actually agree a bit. Ori grapped me from a pure aesthetical standpoint. Similar to Iconoclasts, which in itself is actually a pretty poor Metroidvania (in regard to backtracking and opening up new areas and routes with new abilities) but has such an awesome art direction, soundtrack and a story that I'll never forget, and was simply pure fun.

I just can't find the same fun I had in the mentioned games in Bloodstained, but as I said before, it's just personal taste plus the fact that I never played SOTN and thus I assume I am missing a lot of nostalgy injection while playing.

I'd fight anyone IRL though when it comes to defending Hollow Knight ;)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ori was a fun game that at the end of each of its dungeons decided it should temporarily become an extremely bad game and I dont know who was responsible for that decision

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

it's an informed assumption.

No it isn't. You're basing the assumption on feedback which is stupid because about 100% of people who think there's something wrong with a game do not give the developer(s) feedback about it. (This is true of literally all software.)

The second law of writing software is that you literally never know what the users want.

(The first is that GOTOs are good.)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Goto considered helpful

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Can't say I enjoyed Bloodstained much. Summary of my posting in the Castlevanias-thread: It doesn't communicate its next objective well (or at all), lacks acknowledging important moments or milestones, the enemy designs are lackluster (mostly worse copies of established characters that do not have much personality), the mechanics are needlessly redundant, badly explained and sometimes barely used in the game, the jokes or playful elements are not really working (for me anyways) and the castle's layout is weirdly unsatifying. It has all the ingredients/features of a good game but it is not coming together too well. Really feels like there should have been more than one designer (perhaps there was, I don't know). Buuut I can see how some people have fun with it and I'm happy for them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tuo posted:

Hollow Knight
Iconoclasts
Ori

:psyduck:
ok now I have two separate lists of metroidvanias that are supposedly better than Bloodstained, and neither one has Dead Cells so i have to add that to the list. WTF happened to this genre? is metroidvania the new rogue-like or something. i don't have time to play 10+ metroidvanias!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rutibex posted:

ok now I have two separate lists of metroidvanias that are supposedly better than Bloodstained, and neither one has Dead Cells so i have to add that to the list. WTF happened to this genre? is metroidvania the new rogue-like or something. i don't have time to play 10+ metroidvanias!

Pretty much, yeah. 'Metroidvania' has been one of the eyes-glaze-over indie game tags for a few years now, or quite possibly much longer given how popular they have been with indie developers and romhacks. Look at the popularity of Metroid/Zelda Randomizers.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Dead Cells is more roguelike than Metroidvania, the movement abilities are hardly ever used for anything but unlocking the next stage in a linear , although procedurally generated, game

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Yoku's Island Express is a metroidvania with pinball gameplay mechanics and while it didn't completely work for me I did appreciate someone trying to shake up the genre.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rutibex posted:

For me and a lot of other people, metroidvanias involve backtracking and opening up new areas. Dead Cells doesn't have that, so it's not a metroidvania.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
This game defies genre labels, being a procedurally generated roguelite metroidvania with a high-concept story that doesn't deliver

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jerry Cotton posted:

No it isn't. You're basing the assumption on feedback which is stupid because about 100% of people who think there's something wrong with a game do not give the developer(s) feedback about it. (This is true of literally all software.)

The second law of writing software is that you literally never know what the users want.

(The first is that GOTOs are good.)

ok. well good luck with your game man

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

signalnoise posted:

This game defies genre labels, being a procedurally generated roguelite metroidvania with a high-concept story that doesn't deliver

A roguelike atmospheric walking simulator with erotic content

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rutibex posted:

I had Dead Cells in mind, but it doesn't fit the "pure Metroidvania" genre, imo, with it beeing roguelike and soulslike

e: play Hollow Knight and Iconoclasts. Both are worth it, for different reasons.

tuo fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 4, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

More people should play La Mulana, I feel like it's way not as popular at it deserves to be.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Barudak posted:

There should be a separate menu of "yo make the colors not be impossible for me to differentiate"

I like games that do this, usually Supergiant Games offers cool and interesting difficulty options

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

The 3 correct difficulties are 1) I just want the story, 2) I want the difficulty the game was designed around, and 3) I want a challenge

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/wsupden/status/1145959893209272320

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 4, 2019

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

is pepsi ok posted:

The 3 correct difficulties are 1) I just want the story, 2) I want the difficulty the game was designed around, and 3) I want a challenge

see 1 and 2 are doable but 3 is provably super hard to do right. you can tune up enemy stats but that's just frustrating. making a meaningful Hard difficulty is insanely involved, and often entails rewiring your entire AI.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The only game i have ever played on a harder than normal difficulty is bayonetta

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

:barf:

:barf::barf::barf:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

see 1 and 2 are doable but 3 is provably super hard to do right. you can tune up enemy stats but that's just frustrating. making a meaningful Hard difficulty is insanely involved, and often entails rewiring your entire AI.

We should just stop catering to scrubs and balance for a challenge implicitly imo. The status quo is just trophies-for-everyone all over again

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

A Swiss female cult leader (Uriella) was pretty famous in Europe back in the 90s for selling her healing water. This "healing water" was simply regular water she filled her tub with, stirred with a silver spoon and then bottled.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
The cult of "internet influencers" can't collapse soon enough for me. Holy poo poo, the herd mentality is alive and well.

We've thrown out religion, but we are clearly loving HARDWIRED to worship something or someone.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 4, 2019

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

poverty goat posted:

We should just stop catering to scrubs and balance for a challenge implicitly imo. The status quo is just trophies-for-everyone all over again

idk make whatever difficulty balance you like imo. if you want to make a challenging game then that's cool and you shouldn't be criticized for making it too hard for some players. if you want to make a cruise game that's honestly not too difficult, low stakes low risk high chill, then that's fine too. it boils down to the creator, i don't begrudge cuphead's devs for making a hard rear end contra game, that's their poo poo right there man

tango alpha delta posted:

We've thrown out religion, but we are clearly loving HARDWIRED to worship something or someone.

i think we just like a good story. some people blow this way out of proportion however

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I don't like Hollow Knight and feel that it's moderately overrated.