Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So there's an interesting tidbit in here I saw when looking through the Tinkerer guide.. is the Tinkerer supposed to be a woman? I know that gender is not supremely important here, and of course you can choose whatever gender you want for your characters, but is Tinkerer "intended" to be a woman like the Scoundrel and Spellweaver appear to be? I only ask because this guide refers to Tinkerer as a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Since I've been playing by myself a lot recently I've wondered how ya'll randomize cards when you take a short rest? When I play with my group we fan them out and have another player pick a card. When I'm playing alone I shuffle them and pick one out, but I realized if I payed attention I could figure out which cards are which, especially when there's four or less cards. I was thinking maybe shuffling the cards then rolling a dice would be a better method.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, the Tinkerer is a male quatryl.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

DontMockMySmock posted:

In the rulebook on page 17, where it discusses communication, it strongly implies (the rules are super vague, but it's part of one of the examples) that saying what hex you are moving to is allowed. So if you prefer, change that to "I am going to stand here *points to hex with coin in it*".

If the battle goal deck had like a hundred cards in it, or if you weren't allowed to say ANYTHING about your turn, then sure. But the only communications specifically banned are numerical values and the names of cards, and the battle goal deck is pretty well known after a few scenarios. This makes the secrecy rules KINDA DUMB.
Yes of course you're allowed to say where you're going to end up. Your original example was saying 'I need that coin' and then getting mad when someone else took it. If you're letting them know that there's SOME MYSTERIOUS REASON that the coin is better for you than for them, you might as well just dispense with the pretense entirely and play with your cards revealed. Of course it's real easy to give away your battle goal without technically cheating, I'm arguing that it's more fun to not do that.

My first group was very tight-lipped about our goals and quests. My current group it's always super obvious what they're trying to do. I'm not gonna force them to play like I do but it removes a lot of the depth from the mechanic. So I guess my suggestion is if you want it to be more relevant to gameplay, stop trying to explicitly undermine it.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 1, 2019

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, the Tinkerer is a male quatryl.

Is he? I also thought he was a woman, but I never read his card cause that player was all the way on the other side of the table.

I do like that even though it doesn't really "matter" to the game (let's be honest, it's all just fluff ; cool fluff, but fluff), that the game goes out of its way to be almost entirely non-human and at least one of the non-human species doesn't have a gender distinction. It's actually being fantastical instead of More loving Elves and Dwarves with Scottish Accents. Not exactly super innovative, but pretty drat good and I'm happy about it.

Harrowers probably also don't have a gender identity, I guess? I don't know much about the sociology of sentient insect swarms.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

misguided rage posted:

Yes of course you're allowed to say where you're going to end up. Your original example was saying 'I need that coin' and then getting mad when someone else took it. If you're letting them know that there's SOME MYSTERIOUS REASON that the coin is better for you than for them, you might as well just dispense with the pretense entirely and play with your cards revealed. Of course it's real easy to give away your battle goal without technically cheating, I'm arguing that it's more fun to not do that.

Do you coordinate at all? How do you employ team tactics? We discuss our moves before every single turn, not just specifically to do battle goals. What I'm trying to explain to you is that our battle goals end up being revealed to one another, most of the time, without trying, as a consequence of normal communication within the rules.

quote:

you might as well just dispense with the pretense entirely and play with your cards revealed
you're goddamn right, that's what i've been saying, the secrecy rules are dumb

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Nobody's right you just play however the group enjoys playing, some will prefer more secret some more open. If you're playing an rear end in a top hat when the other three players are trying to be friendly and open, you're just an actual rear end in a top hat in real life, not 'adhering to the rules' though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is he? I also thought he was a woman, but I never read his card cause that player was all the way on the other side of the table.
Based on some event cards and one of the locked classes, definitely. But it's not a huge deal at all.

quote:

Harrowers probably also don't have a gender identity, I guess? I don't know much about the sociology of sentient insect swarms.

I've seen them called "he" on an event card related to a class but it seems like a mistake given the phrasing and the way they are treated elsewhere.

EDIT: Part of the event card I mentioned .

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 1, 2019

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

TheMopeSquad posted:

Since I've been playing by myself a lot recently I've wondered how ya'll randomize cards when you take a short rest? When I play with my group we fan them out and have another player pick a card. When I'm playing alone I shuffle them and pick one out, but I realized if I payed attention I could figure out which cards are which, especially when there's four or less cards. I was thinking maybe shuffling the cards then rolling a dice would be a better method.
This, and if you have a weird number of cards then a site like this one:

https://rollthedice.online/en

Will let you roll d7s or d9s or whatever you want.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
There's a list of the intended genders of the characters here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1930407/character-genders-spoilers

Spoilers, obviously, though they're all tagged.

Most of the species have a male/female split, but a few don't, specifically Savvas and harrowers.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

misguided rage posted:

My first group was very tight-lipped about our goals and quests. My current group it's always super obvious what they're trying to do. I'm not gonna force them to play like I do but it removes a lot of the depth from the mechanic. So I guess my suggestion is if you want it to be more relevant to gameplay, stop trying to explicitly undermine it.

The game explicitly rewards you for working together to achieve your goals. Ignoring the game's incentives can make for an entertaining handicap and if you have more fun that way, all the more power to you, but you can't complain that other people are playing wrong for doing things the game not only allows but actively encourages you to do.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We played with open battle goals for a while, because the "I'm-not-touching-you" dance where you tried to avoid telling people your goal just got lame.

We're giving it another try with the Extended Battle Goals, and keeping them hidden is fun again.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Some battle goals are just impossible to conceal at all, so I think you have to accept that they will sometimes be revealed through no malice of the players. When a player with ignore item effects doesn't equip their armor for a scenario there's not a lot of mystery about what their battle goal is.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

Some battle goals are just impossible to conceal at all, so I think you have to accept that they will sometimes be revealed through no malice of the players. When a player with ignore item effects doesn't equip their armor for a scenario there's not a lot of mystery about what their battle goal is.

If a player with DR-armour is taking that goal they're an idiot anyway tbh.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Not sure I've ever been in a position where I've had the itemless battle goal and been in a position to realistically achieve it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
We got it a lot early on when it's basically two free ticks. I'm sure it's a lot more of a handicap once you have a lot of high prosperity items, though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

One of our players routinely gets it far more often than everyone else and always takes it and makes an effort to do it, usually to the detriment of the rest of the scenario.

Which is irritating.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Not sure I've ever been in a position where I've had the itemless battle goal and been in a position to realistically achieve it.
Yeah I haven't done that since early dungeons, starter characters, prosp 1 items. It's an acceptable handicap worth 2 checks when all you lose are, like, an iron helm, a minor stamina potion and hide armor.

When you're at P3+ with a full kit? Nah. I am playing the Sun class now and there's simply no way.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

misguided rage posted:

"I need that coin" doesn't necessarily have to do with the battle goal tho, that's a big assumption to make. The original post even makes that clear by providing a specific alternative (it could also be to collect coins/buy stuff for a personal quest) and even that was building off of Elephant Ambush's point that if you ask for a coin and your teammate says "sure" and then takes it, then they are a dick.

A lot of this is talking past each other tho. There's a whole spectrum between "don't even make eye contact with your group because you might give something away" and "play with open hands and spend a half hour looking over everyone's shoulders to meticulously plan out turns". This is a huge tangent from the original conversation which was about making a request in game and your teammate(s) agreeing and then screwing you over.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
We are liking the variety from the extended battle goals too. We just use the RNG feature on Google and refer to the sheet. I printed off two, one for each side of the table.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I think the actual intention of the "secrecy rule" is that the more you know your teammates plans, the more you plan together and coordinate, the more specific you are in your planning, the more bogged down the game gets and everything takes longer.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

TheMopeSquad posted:

I think the actual intention of the "secrecy rule" is that the more you know your teammates plans, the more you plan together and coordinate, the more specific you are in your planning, the more bogged down the game gets and everything takes longer.

It's also that the more you plan, the easier the game is. If you play open handed you can much more easily co-ordinate to make sure that,say, you don't accidentally move before the guy who's about to give you a buff, or whatever.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Maybe not the right thread for it, but has anyone played the Gloomhaven PC game? Is it the same campaign as in the box? Is it the complete game? Does it spoil anything?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

UltraRed posted:

Maybe not the right thread for it, but has anyone played the Gloomhaven PC game? Is it the same campaign as in the box? Is it the complete game? Does it spoil anything?

Don't believe it's out yet. Answers are purportedly yes, yes, yes. Maybe?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Don't believe it's out yet. Answers are purportedly yes, yes, yes.

I want to say it goes into early access like mid-late August

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Hauki posted:

I want to say it goes into early access like mid-late August

July 17th

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

For more complete answers, it's supposed to have a rogue-like mode to start with and then they're building the main campaign into it. Single player to start with multiplayer coming eventually. At least, those are the last I've heard although I didn't watch the big stream a few weeks back so my info may be outdated.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

UltraRed posted:

It's not going into early access for another ~2 weeks or so, July 17th maybe.

On that early access release, it's pretty stripped-down. It is a single-player roguelike with random dungeons and 4 base classes. It will definitely spoil items, but that should be it, for now. In-game play mechanics are identical to the GH board game, but there's some stuff surrounding it that are weird and different, like slightly random cards on level-up that will not be earned at their normal level. Also there's some kind of weird XP-ish mechanic that probably subs for prosperity, etc.

The medium-term plan is first to incorporate multiplayer for the roguelike and adding the other 2 base classes.

Full campaign, run by the book, multiplayer, with all unlockables is the eventual goal, per Asmodee. That's gotta be at least a year out.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks, you guys! I thought early access was mid-june.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
They actually did a 4 hour twitch stream of the PC game a few weeks ago. You can find it at https://www.twitch.tv/asmodeedigital. It's the secondary roguelike mode but you can see how the mechanics work if you're interested.

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice
If anyone was using http://thearcane.li/ to track their game - the domain has expired and could be gone for a month or so according to the dev. But it still lives at: https://ninjawithkillmoon.github.io/

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
For the past couple months I have had unnaturally bad luck with my modifier deck. As in, at one point I had a 28 card deck, with only 3 negative cards left in it, and on my AOE attack against 3 targets I draw all 3 of them: null, curse, -2. Last night I whiffed my big loss attack against the boss, the week before I whiffed it against both the elites I was trying to kill. I'm not attacking all that often, making it all the more obvious that I am somehow drawing the null off the top multiple turns in a row. I've tried using the goggles, but I wind up rolling into null, or drawing null and -2. (I can't not take the rolling cards because I'm too high level.) I have positive cards in my deck that I've never drawn.

It started as a running joke, but now it's become a weird affliction. I think the game is forcing me into a support-only role.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

For the past couple months I have had unnaturally bad luck with my modifier deck. As in, at one point I had a 28 card deck, with only 3 negative cards left in it, and on my AOE attack against 3 targets I draw all 3 of them: null, curse, -2. Last night I whiffed my big loss attack against the boss, the week before I whiffed it against both the elites I was trying to kill. I'm not attacking all that often, making it all the more obvious that I am somehow drawing the null off the top multiple turns in a row. I've tried using the goggles, but I wind up rolling into null, or drawing null and -2. (I can't not take the rolling cards because I'm too high level.) I have positive cards in my deck that I've never drawn.

It started as a running joke, but now it's become a weird affliction. I think the game is forcing me into a support-only role.

One of our players has only ever missed / flubbed important attacks where it all hinges on her, or if it took a bunch of setting up. Once she even was like "I only have to do one damage, but I'll use two loss cards to do 4 attacks, because otherwise I'll probably just miss." It didn't die. OBVIOUSLY it's just confirmation bias, but it's funny when people get super cynical about it and get proved right, lol

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Speaking of, I've stopped donating to the treehouse because I've never ever drawn a temple bless in this game. Blesses from events and other sources? No problem, they come out in the first major fight. Temple ones? Get shuffled somewhere in the back of the deck, always behind a null/2x card that reshuffles. :dawkins101:

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Speaking of, I've stopped donating to the treehouse because I've never ever drawn a temple bless in this game. Blesses from events and other sources? No problem, they come out in the first major fight. Temple ones? Get shuffled somewhere in the back of the deck, always behind a null/2x card that reshuffles. :dawkins101:

erm, have you unlocked the achievement for donating to the great oak ten times and opened the envelope?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
We're voting for our next destination (and a Road Event outcome!) in the Gloomhaven Let's Play thread, everyone is welcome. You can also sign up to become one of our active players!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TheMopeSquad posted:

erm, have you unlocked the achievement for donating to the great oak ten times and opened the envelope?
Yes, and since I don't like starting characters at a higher level, all it did was convince me not to use the option again.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You don't have to do that spoilered part, fyi. It just gives you the option to do that if you want to.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Pierzak posted:

Yes, and since I don't like starting characters at a higher level, all it did was convince me not to use the option again.

...why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Pierzak posted:

Some characters do better with it than others. 28 cards is actually pretty gigantic...

Out of the starting 6 really the Scoundrel and Mindthief are the ones who get the most mileage from them. Brute, Cragheart, etc. all end up with huge modifier decks and those blesses have less marginal value.