Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

Still gotta figure out what to do against tanks. Corvus machine spirit wouldn't hurt

Deathwatch have all of the same options against tanks that marines do, specifically contemptors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

Deathwatch have all of the same options against tanks that marines do, specifically contemptors.

The Apocalyse notes also indicated they're getting Repulsor Exterminators.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Booley posted:

They don't have lascannons on their vets for some reason.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

They don't have lascannons on their vets for some reason.

Oh no they can't take a bad option

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Booley posted:

Lascannon Salamander tactical squads are the best troops in the game and I will fight anyone who disagrees. :colbert:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Booley posted:

Considering they lack predators too the book is just weirdly slanted against them having anti-tank stuff.

That and sniper rifles but I kinda get that one.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

These are fantastic.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Are Living Saints literally angels? Are they Emperor-equivalent daemons?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Celestine seems like a perpetual, but possibly. The Emperor's daemons are things the Legion of the Damned.

I'm pretty sure he's poised to become the god of Hubris, if he wasn't already.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RagnarokAngel posted:

Considering they lack predators too the book is just weirdly slanted against them having anti-tank stuff.

That and sniper rifles but I kinda get that one.

I think it's intentional.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Got the Ridgerunner done:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

That looks really, really, really loving good.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I really, really want to loot that.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
As a novice painter this thread constantly drifts between the most inspiring and depressing place on the internet for me. So much talent - it's like you're weird space aliens experiencing reality on different terms.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

As a novice painter this thread constantly drifts between the most inspiring and depressing place on the internet for me. So much talent - it's like you're weird space aliens experiencing reality on different terms.

Just ask people how they do things until you've picked up a hundred tips. I'm not a great painter but I get results that make me happy thanks to learning techniques from goons and YouTube.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I've been painting on and off for 25 years and the same thing still happens to me. Think of it like working out; all that matters is how you did compared to the last time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Working on some Space Wizards. The one in the middle has been a challenge with a healthy amount of conversion work. He has the body of a Primaris Chaplain, the torso was cut out and replaced with a regular Primaris torso, the psychic hood is from a bit I got online, the sword is from a Grey Knight, and I got to experiment with green stuff molding.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Comparison is the death of joy.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Harkano posted:

Great piece.

For reals though did RichyP ever do a tutorial on that sweet goo?

Already beaten, but every once in a while (usually after i've visited the beer shop in town I throw out a random tutorial, usually related to whatever my painting attention is currently focused on (focus is stretching it). When I do and the moon/inebriation aligns I post them here:

https://www.goonhammer.com/tag/beer-bristles/

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I've been painting on and off for 25 years and the same thing still happens to me. Think of it like working out; all that matters is how you did compared to the last time.

Working out and goonhams are not 2 things I'd never have considered in the same conversation tbh.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Max Wilco posted:

These are entertaining. Can't wait to hear about Word Bearers and Raven Guard.

I can't help but notice that, in regards to the commentary, it's very similar to the old WTF, D&D!? articles on the SA front page. Was that intentional?

Insanely intentional. The original idea as I pitched it was straight up, almost verbatim, "Hey, remember those WTF D&D or Fashion SWAT articles? Let's do that, but for Space Marine Legions".

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

:vince:

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

quote:

the only reason at the moment that Deathwatch do not have access to the units in Shadowspear is because the models would require some conversion before they could look like Deathwatch straight away. 

Rule of Cool dismisses this reasoning completely. If someone converts up some cool Deathwatch Shadowspear guys and everyone involved is cool about it, then some cool house rules (chules) can be made and a cool narrative can be forged. :frogc00l:

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpOzF36ZDBc

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ANAmal.net posted:

Insanely intentional. The original idea as I pitched it was straight up, almost verbatim, "Hey, remember those WTF D&D or Fashion SWAT articles? Let's do that, but for Space Marine Legions".

The space wolves one made me sad... only because I remember the glory days of being very loving op and telling anyone that knocked wolves to eat my hairy rear end in a top hat.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

This is a great paintjob, I love these tough little buggers.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I've gotten really loving good at my job and so I have down time at work when almost no one else does.

Sometimes I bring my stuff in to paint when I'm sitting at my desk waiting for calls. Every once in a while somebody will look at something I'm doing when I'm in the late stages of the model and basically ask me what kind of idiot savant I am.

I basically use the American Wealth Gap as a metaphor. I'm probably a one percenter when it comes to this stupid, stupid Hobby. That said, all it takes is a cursory look online to remind myself that I'm at the very bottom of that 1% and there are people out there that make me look like I'm finger painting.

The metaphor works in particular because anyone with more than me should be guillotined. :colbert:

I like how this could realistically blend in and doesn't scream genestealer cult.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

richyp posted:

Working out and goonhams are not 2 things I'd never have considered in the same conversation tbh.

I'm currently working on transitioning from fatass to dadbod so it's on my mind.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm currently working on transitioning from fatass to dadbod so it's on my mind.

I have ridden my bike for 360 miles in the last 5 weeks. ... after 20 years of no exercise.

Get healthy, brah!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I tend to use my running or biking time to mull over ideas, and a lot of that is list building and other warhams-related matters when it’s not computers. Nerd stuff goes well with exercise to keep the mind distracted from the prolonged physical discomfort.

I’m going to have a fun game against a poxwalker-heavy Typhus list tomorrow and decided to field a ton of ‘gants and Tervigons for the potential hilarity of endless middling troop combat. I seriously doubt it’ll come to it, but I’ve got my own pile of zombies ready in case I need to offer them up for use.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dexefiend posted:

I have ridden my bike for 360 miles in the last 5 weeks. ... after 20 years of no exercise.

Get healthy, brah!

That's awesome. I decided to bite the bullet and try an online personal coach. I really suck at keeping motivated myself so I wanted to do something different. Having someone else to talk to and keep me going might just be the trick. It's only been a few days but the experience has been really positive.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I’ve shed 26 lbs this year so far, but I wish I could say it was from exercise. My dadbod is down to dentistry issues and doing dry January. Another 8lbs and I’ll be in the normal band for the first time since my son was born.

Also returning to the classroom full of elementary kids has been a workout in its own right I guess.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

richyp posted:

I’ve shed 26 lbs this year so far, but I wish I could say it was from exercise. My dadbod is down to dentistry issues and doing dry January. Another 8lbs and I’ll be in the normal band for the first time since my son was born.

Also returning to the classroom full of elementary kids has been a workout in its own right I guess.

Weight loss is weight loss. I'm happy for you. I'm down 10 pounds in the last month from tracking calories, but I have a long ways to go.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yes, well, I'm eating dark chocolate mcvities digestives. Right now.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Im unreasonably hype about Chaos Knights.

Finally I can have big stompy robots without the stench of the Corpse Emperor on them.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

AnEdgelord posted:

Finally I can have big stompy robots without the stench of the Corpse Emperor on them.

Definitely still has the stench of corpses on them, just not that specific corpse.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AnEdgelord posted:

They look really great. I wonder how interchangeable they are with the old kit.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I'd just like to take a moment to say I'm having an absolute blast painting the Blackstone Fortress minis. Apart from the tubby missionary, they've all been a wonder to fiddle with for the past weeks. I'm about a third through, so I thought I'd share my progress, in chronological order:

Pious Vorne and Taddeus the Purifier

Espern Locarno, UR-025 and Janus Draik. I just noticed I forgot to paint his bionic eye :mad:

Rein and Raus, Dahyak Grekh and Amallyn Shadowguide. Technically, Rein and Raus were the third explorers I painted, after Taddeus.

Ur-ghouls!

Obsidius Mallex and his two goons.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
What im hoping is that there is enough bits and pieces left over after assembling the kit that you can Chaosify your small knights and XL knights

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AnEdgelord posted:

What im hoping is that there is enough bits and pieces left over after assembling the kit that you can Chaosify your small knights and XL knights

There's always more spikes.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They look really great. I wonder how interchangeable they are with the old kit.

Considering their latest article has links to where you can buy kits to make your Chaos Knights from, I’m gathering the current kits are interchangeable.

Also, yeah, pretty hype for some traitorous titans to go with my Death Guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Does anyone else read “Word Bearers” and just see “Word Beavers” every time?

Also quick Deathwatch chat: it’d be cool if you had to pick a special ammo for guys the turn BEFORE you got them (because they’re reloading yo) and it’d make it risky to make up for the fact you got cool goodies