Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Phy posted:

Whose is creepier: Tarantino's foot fetish or Fletcher Hanks' nightmare punishment fetish?

Hanks, definitely. While there's definitely a creep factor in looking at something and knowing that something about it is getting the person behind it excited in some ways you don't like thinking about (a closer example to Hanks would more likely be Chris Claremont, who clearly had a Thing for a lot of recurring features in his writing), it's a lot more off-putting when it's instead clearly coming from a place of hate.

There's no joy in Fletcher Hanks' work, it's more just profoundly bitter and hateful. That doesn't mean it's not really interesting and entertaining, but you can really see that Hanks has no love for anything he depicted, except for perhaps the punishments themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Also Tarantino hasn't been disowned by his family for his creepy stuff.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm loving dying here.

Ah, the Necksnap.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

Hanks, definitely. While there's definitely a creep factor in looking at something and knowing that something about it is getting the person behind it excited in some ways you don't like thinking about (a closer example to Hanks would more likely be Chris Claremont, who clearly had a Thing for a lot of recurring features in his writing), it's a lot more off-putting when it's instead clearly coming from a place of hate.

There's no joy in Fletcher Hanks' work, it's more just profoundly bitter and hateful. That doesn't mean it's not really interesting and entertaining, but you can really see that Hanks has no love for anything he depicted, except for perhaps the punishments themselves.

Tbh Tarantino was just the first guy I thought of for his notoriety for dangling what gets him off in audiences' faces, Claremont is probably a better comparison like you said

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Loved the Alberta rat war references in Squirrel Girl #46.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mystery Men Comics #1 (1939)

The Green Mask #2 (1940)

Skyman #1 (1941)

Superboy #7 (1950)

Spidey Super Stories #4 (1975)

Iceman #1 (1984)

Marvel Super-Heroes #8 (1992)

Hitman #44 (1999)

Marville #1 (2002)

Tales of the Unexpected #3 (2006)

Airboy #4 (2015)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"Don't count your corpses before they're shot!" is an amazing and very psychotic sounding phrase.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
"Hey Superboy, if you could go anywhere for a dream vacation where would you choose?"

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #7 (1950)

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

TwoPair posted:

"Hey Superboy, if you could go anywhere for a dream vacation where would you choose?"

Hey Superboy, you're up next for karaoke. Are you going to do that Beach Boys song again?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

TheCenturion posted:

Hey Superboy, you're up next for karaoke. Are you going to do that Beach Boys song again?

For some reason this reminded me of the Vine where the dude is doing karaoke to 'Tequila' by The Champs.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Darthemed posted:

The Green Mask #2 (1940)

Look, we all knew this was coming.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

davidspackage posted:

"Don't count your corpses before they're shot!" is an amazing and very psychotic sounding phrase.

That’s why they call it the golden age

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
How does Sauron collecting life fore as demerits work when Dead Girl is in his class?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Below me did it better.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 5, 2019

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
You need the full deal to really experience it.

I think it's one of the Thanos Annuals but I'm not sure.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Elfface posted:

How does Sauron collecting life fore as demerits work when Dead Girl is in his class?

Forget that, how'd he get the lab coat over his wings? :confused:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Through the power of Science!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

John Dyne posted:

You need the full deal to really experience it.

I think it's one of the Thanos Annuals but I'm not sure.

Oh my god his belt says "Thanos" :allears:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

OPEN PALM SLAM A BLU-RAY IN THE SLOT. ITS AVENGERS: ENDGAME AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CAPTAIN AMERICA.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

Oh my god his belt says "Thanos" :allears:

Well the man does know branding

e: poo poo I just wanted the picture not the loving tumblr post but now SA won't let me take the picture down and fix it. Oh well

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 5, 2019

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So does the comic ever actually explain why he's making that guy's life a living hell?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

So does the comic ever actually explain why he's making that guy's life a living hell?

No that annual is basically Nihilism: The Comic.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

No that annual is basically Nihilism: The Comic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Big arena evil draws crowds but retail evil shows the skill of a true villain.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So MAD is shutting down. With Alfred E. Newman out on the street, I thought about the Totally MAD collection I have. It was published in 1999, and is a set of seven CDs that contain a complete run to that point of the magazine. I thought they were in PDF format, but the scans are tied up in some kind of compression with a binary so I had to install twenty year old software to get this.

I hope you people are happy.

So now I've got access to scans of a twenty year shy complete run of the magazine that are in a resolution fit for the late 90's, so what? But here's the thing about Totally MAD: everything is indexed. The creators (even when they went uncreditted), the topics, the covers, the fold-ins, everything. So it's really easy to do things like find a famous cartoonist's first work for them:

That's Sergio Aragones writing, and Joe Orlando drawing. But what's this? Someone left a doodle at the bottom of the page...

(Yeah, that's the late 90's scan for you.)

The collection is twenty years out of date, but there's still things it has to say about today's politics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wasnt there an updated collection a few years ago?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Oh as if he'd wait for Dorothy.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
This sequence in Savage Avengers #3 got a chuckle or two out of me:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Is that Conan wielding Logan :allears:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Conan yelling "FIGHT FOR PABST!" has sold me on this comic.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Savage Avengers #3 is a great comic for people who enjoy it when Logan looks like an absolute rear end in a top hat several times in rapid succession.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Push El Burrito posted:

Conan yelling "FIGHT FOR PABST!" has sold me on this comic.

"But together with this Dwarven Champion, I Shall-"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wanderer posted:

Savage Avengers #3 is a great comic for people who enjoy it when Logan looks like an absolute rear end in a top hat several times in rapid succession.

I think it's pretty cool that they're returning him to his proper size. (Which is "short".)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I don't understand what happens in that strip

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

sebmojo posted:

I don't understand what happens in that strip

Wolverine, heavily wounded, pops his claws to fight and then collapses from exhaustion. Conan, kind fellow that he is, helps Wolverine be the best at what he does, and what ensues isn't very pretty, and ends when Conan apparently tries to block the dude's spell with Logan which sends him flying into Red Sonja.

Common comic books stuff, really.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That looks like Elektra.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
You're right. It is. I assumed it was Red Sonja for some reason. I blame the fact she's wearing red and in proximity to Conan.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I read the final bit as the evil wizard using some kind of telekinesis on Logan. Or possibly his old foe, magnetism.

Meaning that on one page, two different people have used a barely-conscious Wolverine as a weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

John Dyne posted:

You're right. It is. I assumed it was Red Sonja for some reason. I blame the fact she's wearing red and in proximity to Conan.

B-b-but Red Sonja doesn't wear red, she wears a chainmail bikini. She's called that because she has red hair.

just giving you a hard time