Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Alright, this is more of a conceptual level:

Galoomba’s Skill Crane
XD2-QKS-SWG

It was a fun idea, but I couldn’t really get it up to the small amount of player interaction I wanted it to have, so there is maybe 15 seconds of novelty at best. I’ll have to try again maybe when I can learn some better tech tricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Spiffster posted:

Seesaws can’t be used to fling Mario across the map I take it? I’ve been playing with them but I can’t get them to do what I want.

I want to test this in coop with butt stomps.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Sam Faust posted:

SMB, Blocks, Wing Blocks, Rails, and Hammer Bros.

You had a chance to make a difference and this is what you did with it? :mad:

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

J-Spot posted:

World, Bricks, Spikes, P-Switches, Wigglers.

Sam Faust posted:

SMB, Blocks, Wing Blocks, Rails, and Hammer Bros.

Thanks much, goons. Off to work I go! :)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

beerinator posted:

Made a boot level. I think I'll try a "Try Switch" level next.

https://twitter.com/beerinator/status/1146539268807901184

Boot Scoots
code: 80C-5VN-RFF

Give me feedback if you have any! The goon levels I've been playing through randomactsofmario.com so far have been really good! Kudos to whoever built that!

I quite like that you've made a boot level with an unusual gimmick. I've cleared it and I do have some points of critique:

• The first half is a bit over-long. I wouldn't mind so much but since the checkpoint is at the end of that area you'll have to repeat a lot when you die.

• I'm not crazy about the "hook" jumps in the second half. I'm used to tricky movement in platformers, but I don't think it's a good idea from an accessibility standpoint.

• I am aware of the doors in the second half to reset, but again, it's a LOT to repeat if you screw it up. I'm not sure what you could do about it other than maybe have pipes spawning infinite boots instead of the boot enemies on tracks.

• I would bump up the time a notch. With 200 seconds I was at 90 seconds my first time in the second area. The checkpoint makes it largely irrelevant, but I don't think you ought to design around the idea that players will clear it straight through first try.

If you are wondering who managed to die on the ceiling spikes past the exit block, that was me. I overshot my first time there and promptly hit the spikes instead of the block when I doubled back.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

NofrikinfuN posted:

You had a chance to make a difference and this is what you did with it? :mad:

d3lness posted:

Thanks much, goons. Off to work I go! :)

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

J-Spot posted:

New level up!

Let's Get 'em, Big Bro!
G5N-96F-GBG
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: Yes

This is a remake of one of my absolute favorite MM1 levels that I did but with some updates. Enemies team up in big+little pairs to defeat Mario and friends. I take heavy inspiration from SMB1 level design concepts but give them a Mario Maker twist. This is a cute kid friendly level but still has some challenge to it.

Bumping this for the morning crew as it could use a few more plays.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

J-Spot posted:

Bumping this for the morning crew as it could use a few more plays.
Cute level, the triplets ruined my immersion.

Mario Classic MJ2-GG8-LYG
1-3 level of difficulty I agree with the commenters who said Swole Mario needs a playground.
Mario loots a swamp CN0-133-RGF
"Is it going to keep rising forever? I think it's going to keep raising forever!" Very nice level.
Slippin' to the Bank 9RB-FML-LLG
I ran off the end of the final semisolid, thinking it was solid, maybe put a rin through platform a little earlier, maybe over the bouncy rings?
Load Bearing Boom Boom 1CD-V06-JCG
I got confused by the pipe, then I found the boneshell. good level.
Super Expert 4 new player MN8-4SQ-9DG
The timing on jumping off the 2nd thwomp was too awkward for me to get consistently, which is sad, because the red/blue blocks were the best part.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

d3lness posted:

I need inspiration. Somebody post a Mario type (NES, 3, etc.), two terrain features, a gizmo, and am enemy to base a level around. Then I'll upload the monstrosity and beg forgiveness.

I'm doing this in a couple hours by the way.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

I know tht combo is rough, but my challenge is trying to make it fun. It's going to be an uphill battle though.

Edit:

DalaranJ posted:

I'm doing this in a couple hours by the way.

Are we getting another jam theme already or do you mean uploading monstrosities?

d3lness fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 4, 2019

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

d3lness posted:

I know tht combo is rough, but my challenge is trying to make it fun. It's going to be an uphill battle though.

To be real though, I think attaching hammer bros to rails can make them into pretty good flexible obstacle. They're a lot more predictable if they have a set path, and you can arrange them to where the hammers can only threaten specific areas and take a while to hit Mario.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

DarkLich posted:

I present the first segment of my "traditional" style Super Mario game. Welcome to Woodland Kingdom, featuring the following stages:
1) Cheep Cheep Creek
2) Creeper Cavern
3) Muncher Meadows
4) Sawmill Sabotage

Here's the code for my Maker profile, where you'll find the stages in descending order: 4G4-S5H-LRF

What can you expect from the traditional style?
- Levels will be straight forward, centered around a few gimmicks of escalating difficulty.
- Each stage has 3 bonus coins (10, 30, 50) to obtain as part of bonus objectives. There are also secret power ups.
- Each world will feature 3 regular levels and a boss "castle". Once they increase the upload cap beyond 32, I'll probably expand.

Also, I've been playing and commenting on some other poster levels. Here are a few fun ones worth playing!

Quicker Than The Sand T30-M52-QWF
The Wrecking Ruins HQQ-0PY-C6G
Cold Feet C8Q-TJW-FFG

Grabbing these and will be following your profile. Love the idea of making worlds.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

J-Spot posted:

New level up!

Let's Get 'em, Big Bro!
G5N-96F-GBG
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: Yes

This is a remake of one of my absolute favorite MM1 levels that I did but with some updates. Enemies team up in big+little pairs to defeat Mario and friends. I take heavy inspiration from SMB1 level design concepts but give them a Mario Maker twist. This is a cute kid friendly level but still has some challenge to it.

I liked this level, it has a nice dreamy atmosphere. Not too difficult, plenty of things to do.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
gently caress the item limit goddamn. It's so fuckin restrictive in terms of decorating

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

d3lness posted:

Hammer bros are the toughest enemy to use effectively since they are so random. Mitigating their difficulty without trivializing them is a challenge; I did a Hammer Bros fortress themed stage trying to avoid people banging their heads against them and it has my highest clear rate by a mile.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

218. Super Jump Zone KT5 HT6 NVG - Fun but checkpoint a little late

#446 Desert Dunes 1B WG-D8H-YWF - Fun, felt like a real world 1or 2 Mario lendl 3

#367 Ice Cave in The Sky RG4-DSX-2RF - Another good one. Power ups also seemed to arrive exactly at the right time

#213 The World's Hardest Puzzle
9F3-VNK-SVF - You lied to me

#166 The Dreaming in the Fever House
FTS-0C7-C1G - Really cool. I wasnt able to finish but I think I got pretty far

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 4, 2019

Padomyme
Jan 9, 2005
Burn the women and rape the cows
Reuploaded a level since it’s possible to lose the catsuit with no way to die without rentering the pipe and jumping to your death. That seemed a bit unintuitive.

T&Z’s Winter Wonderland is now
NSD-RFQ-SFF

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Bump for day folks;

Bleck posted:

Here's a level I made after thinking about how much I like Mario enemies. They're all so cute!

Beckon The Bullies - 4QM-WQ6-KPG

Let me know if it's unclear how to grab their attention (hint: it's jumping). Any feedback is appreciated!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Hey guys I heard ya'll liked Monty Moles and Rocky Wrenches

=Molehill Mania=

4V3-J96-LXG

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Bleck posted:

Here's a level I made after thinking about how much I like Mario enemies. They're all so cute!

Beckon The Bullies - 4QM-WQ6-KPG

Let me know if it's unclear how to grab their attention (hint: it's jumping). Any feedback is appreciated!

It's possible for the 3rd one (and maybe others) to hit the P switch but not actually fall down the hole, breaking the story continuity.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Swinging on the Sky Spires
J8M-DVM-1FF

Getting a swinging claw speedrun course out of my system.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

A question: When making levels, can I expand vertical levels on the bottom? I started making a vertical level from the top down and realized that I don't have enough room on the bottom. The level isn't it's full length, but I only seem to be able to add space to the top of the level, not the bottom. Can I somehow add space to the bottom or slide my whole level upward without copy/pasting it in segments?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

week 1 game jam submission:

"switch it down, switch it up"

2RQ-4NJ-1NG

mostly a result of seeing which 3d world elements could trigger switches and going from there - feedback of all kinds v. welcome!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's time for more jam levels.

Jungle Jinks
5YG-FPM-PMF
By: The Lobster

Nice level design but it's about as hard as a world one Mario level. An early world one Mario level. For my tastes I need a lot more challenge than this. Also, as a jam level for a "Try Switch" theme, there was no switch of any kind.

Cave of Switches
DSD-S41-SSF
By: Junpei Hyde

I wound up jumping on top of the on/off switches rather than doing the platforming. It was way easier that way.

The House on Bombcircle Mountain
G14-QL4-CYG
By: Haschel Cedricson

I liked the gizmo you used, but at the same time I felt there wasn't a whole lot to this stage. I immediately caught on to the idea of dispensing one bomb at a time and that ended any possibility of challenge in the level.

Ski Lift Shutdown
535-CFS-QDG
By: Phantasium

I'm not sure that the jumping flows the way you intended with this level. Because the spineys drop spikes, I had to slow down which caused disruption to the spike top patterns.

Specter Switch Soiree
9PW-212-1JF
By: Al Borland Corp

Some solid puzzles and the chase sequence was really good. But the invisible brick on the rail in the second room was really unintuitive since someone could jump there and not find anything.

Switch Blocks By Starlight
1K5-K85-NJG
By: Macaluso

Alternating switch platforms, but with high speed autoscrolling? The placement of the one on/off switch blocks and some of the enemies gave this level a weird flow where I often had to stop and wait for things to clear, then go again. That's fine in a more gently paced level but the intention here seems to have been speed.

Hit the Switch Get Rich
7GN-2QY-CLF
By: FlashFearless

Seems to be deleted or a typo but this is still the address on the jam spreadsheet which https://randomactsofmario.com/ is serving up to me.

DorianGravy posted:

A question: When making levels, can I expand vertical levels on the bottom? I started making a vertical level from the top down and realized that I don't have enough room on the bottom. The level isn't it's full length, but I only seem to be able to add space to the top of the level, not the bottom. Can I somehow add space to the bottom or slide my whole level upward without copy/pasting it in segments?

The top is the boundary that can be moved, sorry. FWIW, when I'm making a level I expand it to full size immediately and then just don't worry about it when I just block off a bunch of space as I finish.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

General question for you all; how possible would it be to remake SMB2 (USA)'s 1-1? Can we have more than one sub area? How the hell am I supposed to do that?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

My entry for the jam:

Rooftop Party
DNJ-HXV-94G

Your neighbors invited you to a party! Don't forget your Nintendo P-Switch!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
You can have multiple "areas" in over or subworld if you wall them off properly. Just gotta mind your available work space.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

General question for you all; how possible would it be to remake SMB2 (USA)'s 1-1? Can we have more than one sub area? How the hell am I supposed to do that?

You'd have to compromise something I'm sure. You can only have one sub area. If an area is small enough you could probably use scroll stop to section it off.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

It's time for a trial Blitz run. Blitz 0.

Here's how it works. You need a six sided die.

Roll once to get a theme.
Roll again to get required and forbidden items.
If you don't like what you got, cheat because no one can see what you rolled.

You can use whatever you want within the theme and options you got. This time we rolled buzzy beetle so you can use shelmets, para-beetles, etc...

Once you get your items and theme decide whether you want to spend 30 minutes (cheetah speed), 1 hour (rabbit speed), or 2 hours (turtle speed) making your course. Try to complete and upload your course in the time limit. (This means you need to make it easy enough that you can beat it in one try usually.)

Here we go:

Theme
1-2:Underground
3-4:Desert.....
5-6:Sky........

Items,
Block: Cloud
Powerup: Super Mushroom
Enemies: Blooper and/or Buzzy Beetle
Gizmo: Arrow Sign

1:Required:Block and Powerup, Forbidden:Enemies and Gizmo
2:Required:Block and Enemies, Forbidden:Powerup and Gizmo
3:Required:Block and Gizmo, Forbidden:Powerup and Enemies
4:Required:Powerup and Enemies, Forbidden:Block and Gizmo
5:Required:Powerup and Gizmo, Forbidden:Block and Enemies
6:Required:Enemies and Gizmo, Forbidden:Block and Powerup

Please provide feedback and the format of the blitz, should some of the items be removed from the random pull (like I don't know, Arrow Sign?), should everyone get enemies as required, should forbidden be removed?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Random Stranger posted:

Well, I beat it. And it confirmed for me the discussion in the thread that the koopa car is not a good part. With only some minor quibbles (which might be things that you intended or are okay with), this was as solid of platforming as the car could get and it still has mechanical problems. I found myself plowing into and killing the spring guys instead of bouncing off them in the first section and in the final bouncing I could make the first two Banzai Bills while ramming into Boom-Boom. Jumping with the car basically felt really sloppy. I noticed that I didn't need to switch your conveyors, I could complete the jumps without hitting the on/off switches just find since leaving the conveyor seemed to give the car the same "full speed" momentum.

Only a little bit of that is on your design. It's just that car is a lemon.

Yeah I take no offense by this lol. Playtesting the hell out of the stage was just such a colossal pain in the rear end because the car didn't seem very consistent and I was just trying to figure out something that would be mildly fun with it.
Meowser, if you time it right, should act the same every time though. When he spawns he always runs to the player by a single step before doing anything else which is enough time for the trick to be pulled off I put in. As for the on-off switches I kind of noticed it myself, but having them go the "right" way did make it a little easier for me so I kept them in. v:shobon:v

Honestly I still don't get the point of the car.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Hello Mario Makers. Would it be viable to load the game for the first time, download a shitton of levels, disconnect from the Internet, and get about 4-5 hours of play with no Internet connection between those offline levels and the on-cart content? Is there a limit to courses you can download?

Thanks in advance. I skimmed the thread and Google but didn't find too much about playing MM2 without Internet.

e: thanks J-Spot and lunar detritus !!

Cool Post Beg fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 4, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

beggar posted:

Hello Mario Makers. Would it be viable to load the game for the first time, download a shitton of levels, disconnect from the Internet, and get about 4-5 hours of play with no Internet connection between those offline levels and the on-cart content? Is there a limit to courses you can download?

Thanks in advance. I skimmed the thread and Google but didn't find too much about playing MM2 without Internet.

I think you can download up to 80 levels for offline play. Should keep you busy for awhile. The story mode alone is about 5 hours.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

beggar posted:

The single-player campaign is about that long so... yes!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Well, I've uploaded a new level, trying to make use of the 3D World theme without just falling back on its usual gimmicks. The royal greenhouse is in a terrible state - flooded, overgrown with weeds and bugs, and something's been nibbling at the Fire Flowers! It's up to Mario to weed the planters, mow the lawns, and get the gardens back in tip-top shape!

Green Thumb Greenhouse
Q9S-RXC-WJF

I really felt 3D World's limited options while building this, but I wanted the clear pipes for the glass roof, and greenery is one of the few things that's not too hard to make work in that theme.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Ski Lift Shutdown
535-CFS-QDG
By: Phantasium

I'm not sure that the jumping flows the way you intended with this level. Because the spineys drop spikes, I had to slow down which caused disruption to the spike top patterns.

No, you're supposed to slow down for the spikes. I'm not sure how you'd accidentally trigger further spike tops while slowing down without getting the platform switched out from under you, though...

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Banning arrows from the blitz is a great idea. I helps creators learn to direct players with geography and objectives rather than ham fisting direction in.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

DalaranJ posted:

It's time for a trial Blitz run. Blitz 0.

What's the time frame for this? I'm still working on my jam level.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crusader posted:

week 1 game jam submission:

"switch it down, switch it up"

2RQ-4NJ-1NG

mostly a result of seeing which 3d world elements could trigger switches and going from there - feedback of all kinds v. welcome!

There isn't a coherent theme or structure to this level, it's just a bunch of elements piled haphazardly. How they are placed makes things more annoying than challenge like the icicle spam on the on/off switches above the moving block or even the one square goomba ledge at the beginning with the glass pipe. Try visiting the dojo and going through the lessons if you haven't; they might help you structure your ideas better.

lunar detritus posted:

My entry for the jam:

Rooftop Party
DNJ-HXV-94G

Your neighbors invited you to a party! Don't forget your Nintendo P-Switch!

The point of this stage is holding onto the p-switch but you have several sections that punish the player for holding onto the p-switch by having the platforms be painful to navigate if you're large and carrying it. Also, the p-switch at the checkpoint flag has a pretty good chance of killing the player unless they align themselves just right.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

J-Spot posted:

What's the time frame for this? I'm still working on my jam level.

The other blitzes will have a 24 hour time frame, this is just a test run so it lasts until the next one starts Friday evening. You can use it as a brain cleanser if you get stuck on the Jam or wait until you're done.

d3lness posted:

Banning arrows from the blitz is a great idea. I helps creators learn to direct players with geography and objectives rather than ham fisting direction in.

Sure but the first time I rolled use Mushrooms and Arrows and my mind just went completely blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, I've uploaded a new level, trying to make use of the 3D World theme without just falling back on its usual gimmicks. The royal greenhouse is in a terrible state - flooded, overgrown with weeds and bugs, and something's been nibbling at the Fire Flowers! It's up to Mario to weed the planters, mow the lawns, and get the gardens back in tip-top shape!

Green Thumb Greenhouse
Q9S-RXC-WJF

I really felt 3D World's limited options while building this, but I wanted the clear pipes for the glass roof, and greenery is one of the few things that's not too hard to make work in that theme.

The flying ant trooper pert felt a bit unintuitive. I completely blew past the bullet blaster and didn't see them, then got to the end and wondered what the hell to do. Other than that it was a decent little level.