Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Everyone was in star trek

Except Robin Williams. He was going to be on a TNG episode but a movie he was making had to do reshoots and he couldn't do it, and was replaced by Matt Frewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

King Abdullah of Jordan was in an episode of Voyager lmao

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Stephen Hawking appeared as himself in TNG.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

I can tell from context that that's supposed to be Garak and Bashir, but it looks nothing like them.

That's more on-model than most fanart. A fascinating thing about fanart is what's essentially style shift; the longer a certain fandom self-perpetuates, the more that fanartists are informed by one another and not the principal material. Deep Space 9 has had 25 years for the artists to go off, so you're more likely to see something like this, uploaded last week:

-qiow

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

Also, the Rock. He gave Seven of Nine the Rock Bottom.

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Jul 4, 2019

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

As was the Rock. I seem to remember he does his finishing move on 7 of 9 and maybe even the eyebrow thing? :lol:

Edit: too slow dammit.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pick posted:

That's more on-model than most fanart. A fascinating thing about fanart is what's essentially style shift; the longer a certain fandom self-perpetuates, the more that fanartists are informed by one another and not the principal material. Deep Space 9 has had 25 years for the artists to go off, so you're more likely to see something like this, uploaded last week:

-qiow

Since when did Cardassians have tails?!?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spalec posted:

As was the Rock. I seem to remember he does his finishing move on 7 of 9 and maybe even the eyebrow thing? :lol:

Edit: too slow dammit.

UPN sold the gently caress out of it, WWE Smackdown was on UPN then

I think at the time UPN was being buoyed by Moesha, Buffy Voyager and WWE

Quite the combo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Arivia posted:

since the exact phenomenon i was describing happened??

-godsgrief

pretty different than

but it still reads :shrug:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bogus Adventure posted:

They really wanted Romulans to be a threat, but then they realized that dressing them in hotel quilts and Xtreem!!! shoulder pads made them look super lame.

They had the chance to make up for it in Enterprise, but alas...they went with a "Temporal Cold War" instead. :ughh:

In TOS the clear villain was the Klingon Empire. Like there was no bones about it; The Federation and the Klingons were very much at odds and were fighting a lot. TNG had them at peace even though they still didn't really get along. Even then they very badly needed a new villain for the show. I feel like the show actually kind of suffered from not really having a Big Bad. For TOS they could just have some Klingons show up whenever they wanted some on screen punching. With TNG they originally intended for the Ferengi to be the Federation's main enemy until they realized that they weren't really all that threatening. I kind of feel like at that point they just kind of went "gently caress it, Romulans" as they couldn't exactly just throw away the Federation and the Klingons setting their differences aside enough to not be constantly shooting at each other.

With DS9 it was the Cardassians and then the Dominion.

Cleretic posted:

Whoopi Goldberg is in more episodes of TNG than I ever expected. Which is to say, 'more than one'.

I'm surprised less that she was there, and more that I didn't know she was until I watched some episodes. 'Whoopi Goldberg was in Star Trek' feels like something someone would've told me before then.

The funny thing about that is that originally they had no intention on having any star that big on the show. The story is that Whoopi Goldberg called up Gene Roddenberry and said she wanted to be on Star Trek. He was like "well poo poo, I don't know, we might not be able to come up with something appropriate for somebody so famous." She pretty much just said that she had always loved Star Trek and dreamed about being on it and would take a role sweeping the floor in the background. So they said "well OK then, let us think up a good character" and came up with Guinan.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Jul 4, 2019

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Except Robin Williams. He was going to be on a TNG episode but a movie he was making had to do reshoots and he couldn't do it, and was replaced by Matt Frewer.

I love me some Matthew Frewer but that episode was in retrospect made for Robin Williams

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Should totally have a grumpy Romulan who's actually pretty nice once you get to know him but when provoked flips the gently caress out and wrecks poo poo like the Hulk.

Hey, I heard Mark Ruffalo is available.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

Season 2. It's a pretty awful episode, but I liked how everyone's like omg this person is actually a changeling who can morph into a beast that can kill Worf, and Worf is just like lol that owns

The weirdest thing about that episode is how mad Wesley gets once he discovers the girl is a shapeshifter too and starts yelling at her about her "deceiving" him. It has some very heavy and uncomfortable shades of trans panic.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 17:57 on Jul 4, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Angry Salami posted:

Stephen Hawking appeared as himself in TNG.

Hawking was in everything. He even appeared in a video sketch at a "Monty Python Live" show, in which he ran over physicist Brian Cox.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think I'm just gonna watch Measure of a Man and Deja-Q to get the best eps of season 2, then skip to 3. Will I miss any other good episodes doing that?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

I think I'm just gonna watch Measure of a Man and Deja-Q to get the best eps of season 2, then skip to 3. Will I miss any other good episodes doing that?

Matter of Honour is a really fun look into Klingon life.

Contagion is a pretty decent crisis plot as well.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sir Lemming posted:

Season 2. It's a pretty awful episode, but I liked how everyone's like omg this person is actually a changeling who can morph into a beast that can kill Worf, and Worf is just like lol that owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITmnIY_H24o

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

BioEnchanted posted:

Q-Who Intruduces a major villain into the series and some of the incidental dialogue in S3 doesn't make sense without it. Unless you have it and Deja confused (Deja is S3). Also The Emissary introduces a minor character who's important for one of the regular's story arcs. Honestly most of S2 is pretty watchable though except the clipshow finale

There's a decent guide here to what's worth skipping or watching, though I personally don't 100% agree with it.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Romulans and Borg were better than Roddenberry's plan of making the Ferengi into the new big bad. Nothing says "show supporting big bad species" like "literal loving space jew stereotype" right?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Hawking was in everything. He even appeared in a video sketch at a "Monty Python Live" show, in which he ran over physicist Brian Cox.

He punched out Homer Simpson with a comically-timed boxing glove/spring, and got stuck playing D&D for all eternity when Fry let the universe be destroyed in Futurama.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Mamkute posted:

Both the Bachelor and the Bachelorette have exclusively strait contestants to avoid them smooching each other instead of competing. It's possible that some of the background characters are gay, I haven't seen the whole show.
Australian Bachelor had two female contestants date afterwards and Vietnam had a woman leave to be with another woman who had already left.
I also remember there being a lady who openly told the Bachelor she was bi in like the first episode of the American one 2-3 seasons ago.
The Bachelor wannabe "Finding Prince Charming" supposedly had 1½ hookups behind the scenes which isn't really that much

Apropos aging badly, they very quickly announced a second season of Finding Prince Charming and started polls for who should be the new Prince Charming. Then it came out that their lead had been a former racist prostitute with videos on the internet of him sucking semen out of condoms clients sent him. It's been 2½ years and LogoTv haven't said a peep about it since then.
It left the show with half of an audience who were disappointed that he was so ashamed of his past (maybe present) work and that they would even want the gay show to fit into the same rigid box as The Bachelor. The other half angry that the first "gay Bachelor" wasn't as "wholesome and pure" as it's straight equivalents which is an absolutely insane notion. Like 92,99% of the Bachelor/Bachelorette contestants are raging sociopaths.
They literally had a dude who was convicted of assaulting a woman and expected by law to register as a sex offender on a year ago. There's been a couple of "slip ups" like this in the Bachelor casting before but the internet has made it really obvious (they had a very racist Trump dude who was very vocal on twitter be a contestant for the first ever black Bachelorette) that they are willing to "overlook" that sort of stuff if it brings them some buzz and scandals to milk.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

BioEnchanted posted:

Neither of those episodes are Elementary, Dear Data.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Sarcopenia posted:

Australian Bachelor had two female contestants date afterwards and Vietnam had a woman leave to be with another woman who had already left.
I also remember there being a lady who openly told the Bachelor she was bi in like the first episode of the American one 2-3 seasons ago.
The Bachelor wannabe "Finding Prince Charming" supposedly had 1½ hookups behind the scenes which isn't really that much

Apropos aging badly, they very quickly announced a second season of Finding Prince Charming and started polls for who should be the new Prince Charming. Then it came out that their lead had been a former racist prostitute with videos on the internet of him sucking semen out of condoms clients sent him. It's been 2½ years and LogoTv haven't said a peep about it since then.
It left the show with half of an audience who were disappointed that he was so ashamed of his past (maybe present) work and that they would even want the gay show to fit into the same rigid box as The Bachelor. The other half angry that the first "gay Bachelor" wasn't as "wholesome and pure" as it's straight equivalents which is an absolutely insane notion. Like 92,99% of the Bachelor/Bachelorette contestants are raging sociopaths.
They literally had a dude who was convicted of assaulting a woman and expected by law to register as a sex offender on a year ago. There's been a couple of "slip ups" like this in the Bachelor casting before but the internet has made it really obvious (they had a very racist Trump dude who was very vocal on twitter be a contestant for the first ever black Bachelorette) that they are willing to "overlook" that sort of stuff if it brings them some buzz and scandals to milk.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

UnReal was a good show about the backstage drama on reality shows; I'm pretty sure it's still on but I haven't watched past the second season, which was not as good as the great first. It's one of those shows where everyone is a horrible person in their own unique way and you hate everyone but still want them to pull it off

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

TheKennedys posted:

UnReal was a good show about the backstage drama on reality shows; I'm pretty sure it's still on but I haven't watched past the second season, which was not as good as the great first. It's one of those shows where everyone is a horrible person in their own unique way and you hate everyone but still want them to pull it off
I'm a big ol' trash tv slut so I really liked UnReal. It ended last year though which is good because it got increasingly worse but I kind of wanted to know where everyone would end up.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Neither of those episodes are Elementary, Dear Data.

I already saw that, was put off the rest of the season by The outrageous Okana

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zebulon posted:

Romulans and Borg were better than Roddenberry's plan of making the Ferengi into the new big bad. Nothing says "show supporting big bad species" like "literal loving space jew stereotype" right?

Then DS9 came along and made the Ferengi cool.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Arivia posted:

There's been a trend recently in Trek fanart that tries to reimagine the various aliens as a bit more, well, alien. Basically "What if the show had an unlimited budget and could do characters that weren't just humans in costumes."

I think it's kinda cool when done well.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Yeah, I can really get behind making Cardassians straight-up lizards. There was a bunch of stuff in DS9 that basically suggested that anyway.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Then DS9Armin Shimerman came along and made the Ferengi cool.

ftfy

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Armin Shimerman was in the The Last Outpost. He was there from the very lovely beginning of the Ferengi.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I won't tolerate this blatant Wallace Shaun erasure.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sweet geek swag posted:

Armin Shimerman was in the The Last Outpost. He was there from the very lovely beginning of the Ferengi.

Its only saving grace.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

I already saw that, was put off the rest of the season by The outrageous Okana

Yeah, but that episode has The Rocketeer, AKA the man who could have been William Thomas Riker.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cleretic posted:

Whoopi Goldberg is in more episodes of TNG than I ever expected. Which is to say, 'more than one'.

I'm surprised less that she was there, and more that I didn't know she was until I watched some episodes. 'Whoopi Goldberg was in Star Trek' feels like something someone would've told me before then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hra0I-w3XBY

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Whoopi is a huge Star Trek fan, growing up watching it in the 1960s. IIRC, she said in an interview that after seeing Uhura on TV she ran over and told her mother, "There's a black lady on TV and she ain't no maid!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cleretic posted:

Whoopi Goldberg wasn't just in TNG, she was in more episodes than any other credited guest star and Denise Crosby. She also returned for two of the movies, including a small but important role in Generations. It's quite likely nobody ever told you because anyone who knew it would assume you knew already.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

On at least one occaision she was in the official cast photo for one of the seasons.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm pretty sure I knew her from TNG first.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
"that new show about a policeman who solves crimes in his spare time!"

Well there's a Simpsons quote that's aged well, or was just always on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jedit posted:

Whoopi Goldberg wasn't just in TNG, she was in more episodes than any other credited guest star and Denise Crosby. She also returned for two of the movies, including a small but important role in Generations. It's quite likely nobody ever told you because anyone who knew it would assume you knew already.

I think you might be right. She's in a weird middle area between normal guest star and full-blown cast member, so I don't hear about her in the same space as Patrick Stewart, Wil Wheaton and Johnathan Frakes, but she was too standard to come up as 'hey, remember that Whoopi Goldberg episode'.

The best comparison I can think of is Albert Brooks in The Simpsons. He's not part of the regular cast so he doesn't get mentioned with them, but he also turns up often enough that nobody just remembers his appearances as 'the Albert Brooks episode'.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 12:02 on Jul 5, 2019