Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
it's not a gamerbaby trantrum mum, I'm rebelling against the tyranny of a corporation, gosh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ah, ben shapiro has logged on

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Eiba posted:

My favorite Pokemon is Venasaur. I know it's a gen 1 starter, and not a particularly unique favorite, but it was my first Pokemon and I think the design is really neat. I adore Venasaur. I played through Pokemon Blue with one.

I then played Gold, Crystal, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, Platinum, Heart Gold, Black, Black 2, Alpha Sapphire, Moon and Ultra Moon, all without my beloved Venasaur.

Sure I used one in Yellow, Leaf Green, X, and Let's go Eevee, but I have spent the vast majority of my Pokemon time without my favorite Pokemon. It would have been boring as heck if I had used one in every one of those games.

Mawile/Sableye/Your Favorite Pokemon aren't being erased from existence. If they're not in Sword/Shield, then they're just sitting this one out. It's okay. They'll be back.

are you a robot

Howards Bellend
Aug 25, 2007

I think it sucks that not all the pokemon are in it, but I'd be lying if there weren't hundreds of trashmons I'd be happy never to see again. I assume there will be between 300-500 pokemon in the game so as long as they don't decide to include every route one normal type but only five fire types or something like that, I'll cope with losing access to a few. Also across the last two gens I've probably used only actively used around 100 or so, which leaves 700 sitting in the box. I'm more unhappy about no megas because there's no way I'm going back to using base Charizard (unless they've done something to nerf stealth rock - seriously gently caress that move).

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Oh yeah personally I'm not too bothered by removing some Pokemon but getting rid of Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves is boneheaded

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

A big part of why Dexit is so off-putting to me is because for huge swaths of the fandom a subscription is now going to be required on several fronts. Want to trade or battle online? You need a Switch online subscription. Want to maintain a living dex? Battle ready pokemon with competitive move sets? A stable of Ditto breeding studs? Random past shinies or just about anything else? You'll need a subscription to Home.
Want to just transfer those pokemon from Gen V and up? You need a Bank subscription.

Then there's no saying how long TPCi is going to maintain Bank now that the series is moving to the Switch. Will they shut it down after a year or so? What about Home? Will they abandon that for the next system and if they do where will we put those pokemon if we can't store them on a physical cart? At least if you chose to cancel your Bank sub you can move and save all you pokemon to SuMo/USUM indefinitly. Chose not to maintain a Home account and at least 50% of your hard work will be unrecoverable.

That's pretty upsetting. Not death threat level upsetting but enough that TPCi deserve the hit in sales all this turmoil has caused even if it ends up only being a tiny hit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Aristide posted:

Then there's no saying how long TPCi is going to maintain Bank now that the series is moving to the Switch. Will they shut it down after a year or so?

It's also telling about how little they give a drat that they won't just have a Home app which uses the Bank hooks to plug into Gen 6/7. They're there, they were designed with online storage in mind, this should be trivial.

Hell, absent that they could probably just add a tiny update to the existing Bank app to show a ❌for pokemon numbers it doesn't know and then point it at an endpoint on the Home servers which mocks the Bank API.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 4, 2019

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Goons defending their intense emotional response to something so utterly inconsequential is really loving Goony

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I've gotten to the League tournament in Diamond and Pearl. I've been spoiled on Ash losing to Tobias and his legendaries, but I'm looking forward to see how Ash beats everyone else. Ash has declared that he'll use some Pokemon from previous regions this time; I feel sorry for Nando, Barry, and Conway for having to contend with Ash's Charizard and Sceptile. (I don't feel sorry for Paul at all, though.)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Goons defending their intense emotional response to something so utterly inconsequential is really loving Goony

It's okay to care about things you like

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Honest question: If they announced a battling app, where you could battle people or do battle challenges with all your Pokemon, or announced Home had that kind of functionality, and so let you use all your old Pokemon still, just not in Galar, how many people would still be as upset?

less laughter posted:

You love it so much that you don’t even know its name
I've been misspelling it that way since I was a child, and I'm not going to stop now!

(Gosh that's embarrassing, I didn't notice.)

indigi posted:

are you a robot
Pretty sure my spelling would be better if that was the case. I legitimately just don't get why people are so upset when things have always been mostly like this.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

"The guts," Jesus, like they're hiding it instead of just waiting to show off everything when they intend to rather than caving and releasing information early just to settle the angry fans and their pitchforks. Masuda already explained it.

"We already have well over 800 Pokémon species, and there’s going to be more added in these games. And now that they’re on the Nintendo Switch, we’re creating it with much higher fidelity with higher quality animations. But even more than that, it’s coming down to the battle system. We’re making sure we can keep everything balanced and give all the Pokémon that appear in the games a chance to shine."

I don't know what you heard about dev time but the reasons are there. Whether the fans think those are valid or sufficient is a different story but the decision is made so that doesn't matter. People can post Scorbunny and N64 Trees all they want but hell at the end of the day it's up to Gamefreak. Hell, maybe that "balance" comment is all there is and Pokemon wants to do a MTG-style system where it controls what Pokemon are available and which are not during each generation. It won't make people happy to be sure, but it's possible. Nobody knows and nobody can know until they release more info or the fans get the actual game in their hands. The ones who are still buying it, anyway.

I'm not telling anyone not to be outraged or sad that their best buddy might not be in the game. That's legitimate and by all means pass on Sword/Shield over it. If Breloom doesn't make the cut I am gonna be sad because I've used one since Ruby so I really do get it. But this attitude that Gamefreak are cowards or lazy and the fans must have the moral and intellectual high ground in order to "gotcha" every possible reason they can imagine for why all the Pokemon aren't in there while disregarding the fact that Masuda's already given the reasons is just getting ridiculous.

Except its already been determined by datamining Lets Go E/P that they already did the work to port all 800-odd pokemon, including stats, moves, etc. They're all in LG E/P, just not available for use.

Masuda has given reasons, they're just bullshit ones.

E2: Like, I'd have a lot more respect for Masuda/GF if they just came out and said "We decided we didn't want to include all the pokemon for purely creative reasons. not dev time, not balance, just because its our game and we wanted to." I'll always respect an honest statement I disagree with than a false "excuse" that attempts to make it seem like "well we really wanted to include all of them, we just couldn't make it work!"

E:

Eiba posted:

Honest question: If they announced a battling app, where you could battle people or do battle challenges with all your Pokemon, or announced Home had that kind of functionality, and so let you use all your old Pokemon still, just not in Galar, how many people would still be as upset?

I've never given a crap about competitive Pokemon/battling other human players. I always just play through the main game with whatever ones I like best, so that wouldn't address my concerns.

Annath fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 4, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Xander B Coolridge posted:

It’s possible to think something’s lovely without setting cars on fire over it bud

Can you maybe list out some of the appropriate things to respond to for the benefit of all the Goons going Goony?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Saagonsa posted:

It's okay to care about things you like

Yes, it is ok to care about things you like. No, caring about the things you like does not make everything you feel or do based on that justified or reasonable.

It's not surprising that some people are asking for everyone to simmer down in light of the false rape allegations leveled at Masuda. No one wants to think about it, but the shithead that did that could have just as easily been from SA as from anywhere else, I think it's created some paranoia amongst the community and I'm not going to blame people for feeling that way.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Eiba posted:

"It's not fair! All of my older Pokemon don't have a way to learn new Gen VIII moves so they're at a disadvantage!"

People will find a reason to be upset.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yes, it is ok to care about things you like. No, caring about the things you like does not make everything you feel or do based on that justified or reasonable.

It's not surprising that some people are asking for everyone to simmer down in light of the false rape allegations leveled at Masuda. No one wants to think about it, but the shithead that did that could have just as easily been from SA as from anywhere else, I think it's created some paranoia amongst the community and I'm not going to blame people for feeling that way.

Every poster ITT is chill, calm down.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Here comes the spicy take:

This would be fine if USUM to SwSh was like the jump from Monster Hunters Generations to Monster Hunter World. But it is not. It's the jump between Monster Hunters Generations to Generations Ultimate.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Eiba posted:

I'd be a little annoyed but that's about it. It's more the fact that they haven't said anything about any of it at all. If it had something like that just saying "Hey this will be a thing later.." is something they could have done to try and mitigate this. Instead their only answer so far is "You'll be able to use them maybe in another game later on!" which doesn't really make it seem like Home will have that kind of functionality.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well when we're talking about our opinion on what we know about the game, I feel like being a bit unhappy with stuff being removed is perfectly justified and reasonable. It's also perfectly reasonable to not care about it, that's fine, it just comes off as some people acting superior and trying to shut down discussion when they make a driveby post about how people who are disappointed are being goony or otherwise lame for caring.

Also, given the discourse in this thread vs the general internet I don't really see how people could be more chill about this beyond just not talking about it at all. I really don't see anyone who I've seen post here doing insane poo poo like harassing the guy.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ROFL Octopus posted:

Every poster ITT is chill, calm down.

That doesn't really matter, SA is not some special bastion of reasonableness.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So should nobody talk about it at all anymore, or?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Go see how things are going on in this topic nearly anywhere else, it will change your mind.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Eiba posted:

It Home has enough functionality that allows me to still properly manage and trade/battle or continue actively working with my entire collection then yeah the sting of not being able to use them on Galar wouldn’t be as bad. There’s still a lot of old gen stuff I need to breed/train and I’ve been waiting to do it on the Switch instead of keeping up on the 2DS.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

Also, given the discourse in this thread vs the general internet I don't really see how people could be more chill about this beyond just not talking about it at all. I really don't see anyone who I've seen post here doing insane poo poo like harassing the guy.

One of the first things posted was about how Masuda should be thrown from a building as punishment for cutting the pokemon roster, so sure, very level headed and reasonable, indeed.

Saagonsa posted:

So should nobody talk about it at all anymore, or?

People can talk about it however they want, just don't be surprised when people are on edge about this whole situation and act accordingly.

qnqnx posted:

Go see how things are going on in this topic nearly anywhere else, it will change your mind.

I've already been to the pokemon sub-reddit, what I saw there was insufficient to change my mind.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I feel like a lot of people would pay money for a Pokemon MMO with all the areas so far and random-rear end trainers or battle tower / battle tree / battle frontier / battle battle bishi bashi battle noun type stuff to do; if Pokemon Home turns into that, cool.

It could be a potential solution to any future grief over dev-time or cut Pokemon or w/e...

But I guess it would also be very hard to maintain for Nintendo? They don't have a good online gaming track record.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Yeah after generations of nintendo and pokemons weird webbrowers based poo poo I dunno how much I trust HOME to be something that isn't a pain to use.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

One of the first things posted was about how Masuda should be thrown from a building as punishment for cutting the pokemon roster, so sure, very level headed and reasonable, indeed.

I went back a lot and couldn't really find anything like this. I trust that one dude said that at some point, but the general tone of this thread is very clearly not at that level.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
yeah maybe stop responding to people in this thread making reasonable complaints as though they're the same people harassing masuda's mom on twitter or whatever and then we'll stop calling you prissy chuds

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
"I can't believe people care about this thing that I don't care about. Ugh! This is certainly not an attitude that is condescending, irritating or just flat out meaningless, and as such I am going to post about it with haste!"

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Farecoal posted:

I beat Sun, not bothering with the post-game stuff cause I'm moving right on to Ultra Moon. Not that Gen VI was bad but I've enjoyed S/M a lot more

It's probably waaaaaaaaaaay too late for this but the post game of S/M is good and worth doing. Specifically I mean the Ultra Beast quest. Questing with Looker >>>>> riding through the dumb Ultra Wormholes, even if the latter gives you more shinies and potentially infinite Ultra Beasts.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This would be fine if USUM to SwSh was like the jump from Monster Hunters Generations to Monster Hunter World. But it is not. It's the jump between Monster Hunters Generations to Generations Ultimate.

Even that is not necessarily a straight upgrade. Don't even get me started on the inability to play as a cat in World. :argh:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MoaM posted:

I feel like a lot of people would pay money for a Pokemon MMO with all the areas so far and random-rear end trainers or battle tower / battle tree / battle frontier / battle battle bishi bashi battle noun type stuff to do; if Pokemon Home turns into that, cool.

It could be a potential solution to any future grief over dev-time or cut Pokemon or w/e...

But I guess it would also be very hard to maintain for Nintendo? They don't have a good online gaming track record.

I can guarantee you that it will not turn into that

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Lmao if you think Nintendo "Friend Codes" Snake will make Home into anything but another storage space for Pokemon.

Home is just the current Gen incarnation of Pokémon Box/Bank.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Bleck posted:

yeah maybe stop responding to people in this thread making reasonable complaints as though they're the same people harassing masuda's mom on twitter or whatever and then we'll stop calling you prissy chuds

I already explained this. Now that people have gone as far as stuff like making up rape allegations almost any complaint is seen as movement towards something similar or worse happening again in the future. It's not reasonable, it's just the way people work. :shrug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I already explained this. Now that people have gone as far as stuff like making up rape allegations almost any complaint is seen as movement towards something similar or worse happening again in the future. It's not reasonable, it's just the way people work. :shrug:

Because some fuckhead decided to go to far and send fake rape allegations, anyone who is disappointed at the National Dex is secretly supportive of said fuckhead actions?

What? How is that even remotely how people work?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

Because some fuckhead decided to go to far and send fake rape allegations, anyone who is disappointed at the National Dex is secretly supportive of said fuckhead actions?

What? How is that even remotely how people work?

That's not what I said and you know it.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

If the biggest issue regarding this cut is technical, I'd imagine that Home's iteration of the battle system the RPGs are known for would be more like Pokemon Showdown: Pokémon's standard battle screen with the opposing monster on the top right while your monster is on the bottom left, not even using a 3D model but using the menu sprites to represent the monsters. You have access to all battle items the series has had, but item clauses exist and they can't be taken into main games like Sword and Shield.

Its rudimentary, but again, that's the idea when the game is supposed to be accessed from mobile.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 4, 2019

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

"Anyone who complains at all is helping more awful poo poo like that happen" is a hell of a take.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Zuzie posted:

If the biggest issue regarding this cut is technical, I'd imagine that Home's iteration of the battle system the RPGs are known for would be more like Pokemon Showdown: Pokémon's standard battle screen with the opposing monster on the top right while your monster is on the bottom left, not even using a 3D model but using the menu sprites to represent the monsters. You have access to all battle items the series has had, but item clauses exist and they can't be taken into main games like Sword and Shield.

Its rudimentary, but again, that's the idea when the game is supposed to be accessed from mobile.

I just can't picture this happening.

The first thing that comes to mind is that then the format in VGC gets messed too much with. Home format should absolutely be present, it's the one that has everything. But it's just a showdown-esque simulator so that doesn't play well on stream. People can go in with just their phones, no need to buy anything else to get competitive and most players would thus want to play on Home rather than SwSh.
You don't allow Home to be played on VGC? Then SwSh feels even more incomplete because you're paying the extra for the animations, but you're locked on what you can use compared to Home.

On top of that, raising Pokemon becomes a big question since they have stated that nothing Gen 7 or prior can come back from Home, so if you upload a pokemon but need to mix around its attacks or EVs, you gotta make a whole new pokemon and upload it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Excuse me, it was that he should be eaten by a fictional cartoon hellhound, thank you very much :colbert:

E: And then something involving Obama, idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverseStratum
Jan 20, 2019

Sideshow.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

More like the jump from Freedom Unite to Tri. Also, I too listen to CSB.