Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The motorcyclist should have been charged for a bunch of reasons. The car driver should also have been charged for a bunch of reasons. If only the motorcyclist was charged them yeah it's bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The driver attempted to murder him. That is utterly unambiguous.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Arrest-Road-Rage-Camera-Motorcyclist-Kicks-Sedan-Before-Multi-Car-Crash-475441623.html

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

azurite posted:

Repairing a foundation can be so tiresome.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

if you're trying to ruin the thread with terrible puns then hey, michelin accomplished

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Let's not retread things here. We could spin out of control, or drift too far from the topic.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
rimshot

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Wait.. they're claiming that the kick caused the car to lose control? jesus loving christ. It's clear that the driver tried to take the motorcyclist out and hosed up.

e: oh no, the guy in the video says he swerved in to him but isn't at fault... because??? This just reminds me that in the UK as a cyclist motorists can kill me, even intentionally, and probably won't see any jail time.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 4, 2019

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Unless it's on that one poorly laid out crossroad where people keep getting hit and the crown finds it cheaper to prosecute people for unsafe driving than admit fault and redesign the road, add stop signs, or reduce the foliage.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

Wait.. they're claiming that the kick caused the car to lose control? jesus loving christ. It's clear that the driver tried to take the motorcyclist out and hosed up.

e: oh no, the guy in the video says he swerved in to him but isn't at fault... because??? This just reminds me that in the UK as a cyclist motorists can kill me, even intentionally, and probably won't see any jail time.

probably the driver said the kick caused him to react and lose control, which is plausible. You see the entire thing of the motorcyclist kicking the rear quarter but the driver of the car doesn't and you have no idea what intentions are. Your argument should be taken as "if I throw a rock at this car and the car chain reaction wrecks himself and and then injures another party I'm not at fault because he should have known I was throwing a rock and not react" which is loving ludicrous. End result was almost certainly something like 70/30 or 60/40 fault on the motorcycle vs the car for initiating contact and invading the lane, and then the 75 year old dude in the SUV sued the gently caress out of both of them which seems appropriate and just. End result was the cyclist pleading no contest to felony hit and run, they both should never be allowed to drive again but whatevs

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

That video does a good job illustrating the affect of vehicle center of gravity

Car spins out at highway speed: car stays on wheels

Grotesque SUV-pickup frankenstein monster (it's an Escalade EXT) spins out at highway speed: immediate rollover

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

thatguy posted:

invading the lane

Lanesplitting is legal in California (as it should be everywhere)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Let's not retread things here. We could spin out of control, or drift too far from the topic.
I think we're all in alignment with this.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

solarNativity posted:

Lanesplitting is legal in California (as it should be everywhere)

lanesplitting is slow or stopped traffic in order to relieve congestion

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If your reaction to being startled while driving is to swerve into a motorcycle alongside you, you don't have any place driving. And if you are driving and you do that, you should be prosecuted.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know posting Colin Furze is cheating, but consider this - how would you secure boxes of fireworks to a wire frame?

Would it include hammering threaded steel rods through them and then cutting them to length with an angle grinder?

(video starts at relevant time)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDwm7drCiPY&t=90s

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 4, 2019

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I know posting Colin Furze is cheating, but consider this - how would you secure boxes of fireworks to a wire frame?

Would it include hammering threaded steel rods through them and then cutting them to length with an angle grinder?

(video starts at relevant time)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDwm7drCiPY&t=90s

I, uh, certainly wouldn't stand on top of it while it's going off, either.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Driving in countries where lane splitting is normal terrifies me every single time. But I don't swerve into them I just drive normal and clench my butt cheeks real good.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lou Takki posted:

Driving in countries where lane splitting is normal terrifies me every single time. But I don't swerve into them I just drive normal and clench my butt cheeks real good.

When I was in Gosport my drive to work was down a road with one lane in each direction. Motorcycles were allowed to split the lanes, and there were also bicycle lanes on the outside. Felt like if you moved in inch in either direction you were going to take someone’s head off with your wing mirror.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

If your reaction to being startled while driving is to swerve into a motorcycle alongside you, you don't have any place driving. And if you are driving and you do that, you should be prosecuted.
Yeah, I’m no physics professor but I’m fairly sure that a motorcyclist kicking your car isn’t going to do poo poo except give your car a dent at worst. The guy on the bike should get a fine and the shithead in the car should get a bit of jail time.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

at worst it's going to cause him to lose balance, fall over, and put everyone around him in danger as they try to avoid hitting the guy skidding down the highway

or, it could escalate a traffic disagreement that should have stopped with everyone involved driving off and muttering about idiots in traffic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah the motorcyclist was not at fault there. you cannot knock a 3,000-pound vehicle out of control by kicking it with one leg from a 400-pound (okay, 650, it's a harley) moving platform. here is what happens when the car driver doesn't react

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKMv4Xtm73c

the motorcyclist was a dumbshit and should be fined for vandalism or whatever but the car driver is the one who failed to maintain control of his vehicle. to me it looks like the swerve was intentional, too; wouldn't you reflexively steer away from a loud bang instead of towards it? the article says that the driver and the motorcyclist had already exchanged angry words and gestures so i'm inclined to call that attempted murder on the car's part.

acab though and in america it's not illegal to kill someone with your car

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The motorcyclist is at fault the same reason someone honking in a non emergency situation is at fault. You dont gently caress around with stimula related to emergencies.

Don't honk at someone who is otherwise following the law even if they are in your way, don't kick quarter panels. Make the road a better place.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Think we almost got this one solved, boys

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

starkebn posted:

Imgur is bringing all the hits today

https://i.imgur.com/JKwyt4U.mp4

Is he wearing safety shorts?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

FuturePastNow posted:

Grotesque SUV-pickup frankenstein monster (it's an Escalade EXT) spins out at highway speed: immediate rollover

It didn't flip because of the spin; trucks can and do spin out at highway speeds without flipping. If you watch closely you see the car slammed in to it (it was hardly a tap) right in front of the rear wheel, imparting the start of the spin to the truck, then the car spun around again and hit the truck as it was slightly tilted up, which is what finally caused it to flip.

You could argue that if he had hit another car it wouldn't of flipped, maybe, but it's not like it rolled at the bat of an eye.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

withak posted:

Is he wearing safety shorts?

"OSHA: Is he wearing safety shorts? "

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

wouldn't you reflexively steer away from a loud bang instead of towards it?

Reflexively you would look towards the noise, and steer to where you are looking.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

As a regular human person, I instinctively look towards all sounds and begin running towards them. This is why I have no hands or legs and am dead inside and out. It's science.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Reflexively you would look towards the noise, and steer to where you are looking.

Found the driver's lawyer

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
For me that doesn't look intentional. The swerve to the left looks too quick, like a panic reaction. And after hitting the bike they steer quickly right, that doesn't look like something to do if you want to wedge the bike to the barrier.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Down and to the left.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
All you have to look at is the motorcyclist piece of poo poo riding away from an accident that flipped over another vehicle to know he's a piece of human garbage and the bike apologists in here might want to pick a better hero to white knight for

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

thatguy posted:

All you have to look at is the motorcyclist piece of poo poo riding away from an accident that flipped over another vehicle to know he's a piece of human garbage and the bike apologists in here might want to pick a better hero to white knight for

username/post combo.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh poo poo, didn't know the driver was a goon

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Anyone who rides a motorcycle should be given the death penalty.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

Anyone who rides a motorcycle should be given the death penalty.

Eh, given enough minutes in the saddle nature will take its course.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Nocheez posted:

Eh, given enough minutes in the saddle nature will take its course.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

FuturePastNow posted:

That's the failure mode for SUVs in multi-vehicular crashes caused by other vehicles.

If the SUV hits something, the SUV wins. If something hits the SUV, the SUV rolls over.

The SUV also likes to roll over when it's the only vehicle involved.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Powershift posted:

Also, that's why you don't turn your wheels until you're ready to turn. You can see him give the wheel half a turn before he's rammed

Yeah my instructor taught me that and it always seemed like a good idea, but funnily enough I was watching that video thinking "that must be terrifying", not "actually that shouldn't happen to me"!

zedprime posted:

The motorcyclist is at fault the same reason someone honking in a non emergency situation is at fault. You dont gently caress around with stimula related to emergencies.

Don't honk at someone who is otherwise following the law even if they are in your way, don't kick quarter panels. Make the road a better place.

But people honk their horns all the time, and sometimes there are other loud noises because you drove over something you didn't notice, or there's an accident near you or something. Do other people just freak out every time they hear a noise and haul on the wheel and slam the brakes or something? I just slow down a little and look around, I don't assume someone honking their horn always means that a portal to hell has opened in front of my vehicle and I need to take immediate evasive action.

I do abide by that "don't honk your horn just because someone did something bad, only honk when there's danger, because the person who did something bad probably already knows what they did and doesn't give a gently caress and feels real bad about it and you'll just make them more stressed" but I'm pretty sure everyone else doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

I'm getting really tired of all these bad home repairs.