Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Soiled Meat
The only bug I've encountered so far is that enemies glitch out of their little enclosures and then either disappear or helplessly mince about the streets, which is frankly something I'm grateful for, given how poor the combat is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you don't understand what 'round the corner' means you don't deserve to play eurojank Lovecraft

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What the hell is Eurojank?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

Kind of sprawling, really kind of janky usually ARPGs originating (usually) from Eastern Europe.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

A generally endearing term for games (or a style of game) made primarily by Eastern European developers that technically have million dollar budgets but don't come anywhere near the polish of AAA titles. They tend to have a large scope and a myriad of technical issues but are very systems heavy and weirder than any big budget game would dare try so opinions are all over the place.

Games like the original Witcher, the Gothic series, and Pathologic are "eurojank."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Game's whose ambition far exceeds their budget resulting in lots of bugs. Usually badly translated.

The platonic ideal of Eurojank is Boiling Point: Road to Hell. The first Witcher game is also an example as is the Mount and Blade series and much of the STALKER series, though admittedly I've only played the first one.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kids these days, just making up words and poo poo. :corsair:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Derived from the jank of Euro platformers from European computer gaming platforms like the Amiga and such that were hot poo poo when they initially came out in their home countries but by the time you were seeing a Genesis port in the US like three years later or whatever would appear to be, just, janky. Cool in theory because of the sick music and stylish graphics but the controls and variety of action just wasn't there. You can add all the money you want to the budget but there's a tiny little bit of Sword of Sodan and Risky Woods in every big Euro adventure/RPG.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thanks for the clarification.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Eurojank is what you get when a mid-sized European dev tries has an ambitious idea, but not the Ubisoft-level budget to hire the 500+ people they'd need to pull it off as envisioned. As al-azad says, they're often really unique and creative, but tends towards being a little technologically handicapped.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

People mentioned others but to me the original Pathologic is the platonic ideal of Eurojank. Maybe not a pure horror game per se but it's one folks in this thread would probably dig a lot honestly.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
For me it's Gothic 1 and 2. I played those to death back in the day. You can see the seams where things weren't thought out quite as well as they should've been or where they just didn't have the know-how to pull it off the way they probably wanted, but the sheer intricate detail put into the world and the pure personality and character that it had makes playing it one of my most nostalgic childhood memories.

I genuinely think that there are still entire questlines in both games that I never even discovered in all my time of playing them.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason was eurojank horror, if you could get it to work properly.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Anything spiders makes is my pick. I loved the technomancer.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Oh poo poo all this talk of Eurojank and we forgot about The Game:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm still laughing about that one, the translation is hilarious. The best part is: I have it on good authority that the German original is actually not even remotely Ye Olde Timey-speak. Somehow the translators decided on that entirely on their own initiative and made what apparently sounds pretty drat natural in German into a complete joke.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason was eurojank horror, if you could get it to work properly.

it’d run a lot better on modern computers, shame it’s so hard to find

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm still laughing about that one, the translation is hilarious. The best part is: I have it on good authority that the German original is actually not even remotely Ye Olde Timey-speak. Somehow the translators decided on that entirely on their own initiative and made what apparently sounds pretty drat natural in German into a complete joke.

They fixed it for the sequel, which is hilarious by accident in a different way, as the protagonist never has a facial expression besides a malicious smirk.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

The sequel had an npc that poked a bit of fun at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5YhEnOuW6c

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That sounds like an experience. I still have Two Worlds 2 in my Steam library, really gotta get around to playing it one of those days.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The first game I recognized as being too poorly designed to call "polished" but still absolutely engrossing was Arx Fatalis. Even now that they have big studio money their games still have that inescapable feeling of flying a little too close to the sun.

Oxxidation posted:

it’d run a lot better on modern computers, shame it’s so hard to find

I bought the GOG version way back and it runs beautifully so if you ever happen upon a GOG copy floating in the wild it'll probably work.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

SelenicMartian posted:

I liked it a lot.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Honestly the ridiculous dialogue was a genius decision. It made what would have been an otherwise generic fantasy experience into something that was consistently entertaining and has made Two Worlds much more widely known and remembered than it has any right to be.

Of course, in the sequel they "fixed" this issue and what a surprise it's boring as gently caress.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

My favorite Two Worlds 2 anecdote is on the Xbox 360 version you could enter the debug menu to make it run better by disabling the grass.

"Debug Menu and Codes

During the game, hold LEFT BUMPER + RIGHT BUMPER and press START, UP (D-pad), START, DOWN (D-pad). You should see the debug menu appear. Enter the following codes for the desired effect."

engine.grassuserdistance 0 - Disable grass

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It is funny that a game with a reputation of being humorous in its awfulness shrivels when it has the competence to do better in a sequel. But would people have tolerated the same level of poo poo a second time if they didn't improve in any way?

Like say Hellnight or Michigan:Report from Hell or Illbleed were given a sequel/remake and they still looked like they were from the Dreamcast. Would that work or would they need some modernizing without becoming NightCry?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Illbleed is a total failure but it's so loving bizarre and unique I think you have to give it a pass

I do think a lot of games tend to laser focus on hd graphics when they'd be able to do a lot more with a stronger art direction. Like, people love sh2 and that game looks like rear end, but the art direction is good so it still works. There's been an upsurge in ps1 style polygon retro games though so I think people are trying it out.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Crabtree posted:

or Michigan:Report from Hell
There are probably too many upskirt filming games on Steam for it to compete now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Two Worlds was definitely a "right time and place" thing. Oblivion was still fresh so it was basically the second open world fantasy RPG on a console. The best thing was being able to stack equipment to increase its power so everyone remembers taping 1,000 daggers together to one shot the final boss. Two Worlds 2 was post Fallout 3, Divinity 2, and Risen and The Witcher 2 was due in a year so nobody gave a poo poo. I'm sure it turned a decent profit but nobody was talking about it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I thought Two Worlds was weirdly engrossing, gameplay wise.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Last night I played Perception, a game about navigating an evil house as a blind person, with a few friends, and got through 3/4 of it. I was actually surprised at how much we enjoyed it. It has some genuinely creepy moments, an interesting series of plots (each chapter has you visit a different time period with a new inhabitant of the house and watching how things go wrong) and the reactions of the protagonist is surprisingly close to how we reacted to things, including deciding "It's time to get the gently caress out of here, this poo poo is hosed." The first time she picked up an object and saw visions regarding its past, after all of us went "what the gently caress is happening here, is she psychic all of a sudden?" she reacted the same. Of course, if you don't want to hear that stuff, there's an option to turn everything but the plot stuff off.

The stories of the house are actually pretty good too, and so far pretty varied, from a woman who goes mad by the house fueling her protective paranoia of her new child, to a woman who is trying to escape her day-to-day life in a world run by men during WW1, to an inventor whose little doll inventions get possessed by an evil force and kill family and eventually him. Each section is short enough to avoid feeling overly repetitive, and the layout of the house changes too, meaning you're not just retreading old ground over and over again - but that said, certain elements are recognizable, which is interesting as I keep recognizing a particular hallway as it changes over the decades.

You're blind, of course, which means it's one of those games where you navigate via sound waves and stuff. Make too much noise, and the house, which 'listens', will send an unsettling presence after you. More than just a red blob, it's actually pretty creepy - in cutscenes, at least, it repeats things that the protagonist has said, giving it a voice while at the same time showing how its just a mindless beast, creating an unsettling feeling. The actual gameplay is tapping your cane against various objects, following landmarks, and listening to memories. Also using apps to assist her, like a text-to-speech app and an in-game version of https://www.bemyeyes.com/, connecting us to a character named Nick who is my favourite person in the whole game as he becomes more and more questioning about what the gently caress kinds of things you're sending him. It's nothing spectacular overall, but the plot has been driving us forward pretty effectively, and I'm thinking I'll be playing through it again to listen to the memories once more, with renewed context.

Seriously, I'm genuinely surprised by how much we're liking this. It has a slow start, but by this point I'm looking forward to continuing what I thought was just going to be a humdrum hide-from-the-monster game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Morpheus posted:

Last night I played Perception, a game about navigating an evil house as a blind person, with a few friends, and got through 3/4 of it. I was actually surprised at how much we enjoyed it. It has some genuinely creepy moments, an interesting series of plots (each chapter has you visit a different time period with a new inhabitant of the house and watching how things go wrong) and the reactions of the protagonist is surprisingly close to how we reacted to things, including deciding "It's time to get the gently caress out of here, this poo poo is hosed." The first time she picked up an object and saw visions regarding its past, after all of us went "what the gently caress is happening here, is she psychic all of a sudden?" she reacted the same. Of course, if you don't want to hear that stuff, there's an option to turn everything but the plot stuff off.

The stories of the house are actually pretty good too, and so far pretty varied, from a woman who goes mad by the house fueling her protective paranoia of her new child, to a woman who is trying to escape her day-to-day life in a world run by men during WW1, to an inventor whose little doll inventions get possessed by an evil force and kill family and eventually him. Each section is short enough to avoid feeling overly repetitive, and the layout of the house changes too, meaning you're not just retreading old ground over and over again - but that said, certain elements are recognizable, which is interesting as I keep recognizing a particular hallway as it changes over the decades.

You're blind, of course, which means it's one of those games where you navigate via sound waves and stuff. Make too much noise, and the house, which 'listens', will send an unsettling presence after you. More than just a red blob, it's actually pretty creepy - in cutscenes, at least, it repeats things that the protagonist has said, giving it a voice while at the same time showing how its just a mindless beast, creating an unsettling feeling. The actual gameplay is tapping your cane against various objects, following landmarks, and listening to memories. Also using apps to assist her, like a text-to-speech app and an in-game version of https://www.bemyeyes.com/, connecting us to a character named Nick who is my favourite person in the whole game as he becomes more and more questioning about what the gently caress kinds of things you're sending him. It's nothing spectacular overall, but the plot has been driving us forward pretty effectively, and I'm thinking I'll be playing through it again to listen to the memories once more, with renewed context.

Seriously, I'm genuinely surprised by how much we're liking this. It has a slow start, but by this point I'm looking forward to continuing what I thought was just going to be a humdrum hide-from-the-monster game.

Thanks for the tip on this, it’s $2 on Steam right now so I’m going to give it a whirl.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Grapplejack posted:

Illbleed is a total failure but it's so loving bizarre and unique I think you have to give it a pass

I do think a lot of games tend to laser focus on hd graphics when they'd be able to do a lot more with a stronger art direction. Like, people love sh2 and that game looks like rear end, but the art direction is good so it still works. There's been an upsurge in ps1 style polygon retro games though so I think people are trying it out.

I still think people haven't really captured the opportunity with PS1 style polygons have in giving off a real uncanny valley experience. Like Bad Day on the Midway. graphics that try to look human and just come off kind of hosed up when they have this otherwise real enough looking face contorting or verbalizing like people should, but its much more unnatural because of how wrong it looks. Maybe as some sort of Lawnmower Man like deal where a human brain or the best of the time immitation of a brain was created, but left to rot for decades and is now pissed off at humanity and its newer, better AIs while its some low tech joke someone dusted off and booted up.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The best low-resource visual style for horror is the way faces in Siren are rendered.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Soiled Meat

Grapplejack posted:

Anything spiders makes is my pick. I loved the technomancer.

Hell yeah, that game is better than all the recent AAA ARPGs combined.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Illbleed absolutely knew what it was doing. I think if you made Illbleed 2 today, you could do the early Dreamcast / PS1 aesthetic, as long as the gameplay was fixed up a bit.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

What's it that makes people like The Technomancer? I looked into it back when it was new and I couldn't really find anyone saying a lot of positive things about it. One review put it as "it's a game in the same way frozen convenience store pizza is food" and that didn't really sound very appealing.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

My wife and I played Perception on the Switch as our Halloween game last year and I 100% recommend it as a well-written and executed horror game. Going into it spoiler-free is definitely ideal, too. I think the further you go into it the more interesting it gets.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

How can anyone talk about eurojank and not mention EYE: Divine Cybermancy?

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

SardonicTyrant posted:

How can anyone talk about eurojank and not mention EYE: Divine Cybermancy?

Oh yes... how many games are there where you can die because a door hacked your brain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

For me it's Gothic 1 and 2. I played those to death back in the day. You can see the seams where things weren't thought out quite as well as they should've been or where they just didn't have the know-how to pull it off the way they probably wanted, but the sheer intricate detail put into the world and the pure personality and character that it had makes playing it one of my most nostalgic childhood memories.

I genuinely think that there are still entire questlines in both games that I never even discovered in all my time of playing them.

My favourite thing about Gothic was that they only added mouse support at the last moment... until then it was planned to be keyboard only.

You looted chests by holding down left mouse button, shift, and an arrow key...

This in 2000 or so I think?