Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I don't mind this so much because I almost exclusively play 4 which is a role nobody else wants to play, but the fact that role queue is gated behind Dota Plus has lost me a lot of goodwill toward the game and is a big part of why I won't spend money on it anymore

At least you can use the feature. I live in Australia and I'm yet to ever have a game pop when I queue ranked role. The population just isn't there.

Also, I know I'm bad at this game, but I've been playing since 2012 and have thousands upon thousands of hours/games. I've always considered myself 3k and even got Archon in my first ranked season. Since then though...it's ugly. Granted I've probably only played 10 ranked games on top of my placement games this season but my current MMR is a whopping..... 972. How am I sub 1k MMR? I'm being matched with people that have played 20 games in their life.

Is the player base just really good now, did I somehow get insanely bad or is it something else? Also, it makes games really poo poo because most games are ruined by really new players, or smurfs who have just created a fresh account. It's brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I'm also bad. You have to acknowledge that either a) your old strats don't work as well (or the same way) as before and you're not adapting to the new game, b) you're not playing heroes that can control/win a game and help you to ascend to that tier you think you deserve, or c) yah, you really do just suck and the remaining player base is getting better without you.

B is tricky because better (4k+) players can win more than a majority of games with nine garbage 1k pubs. So if you are picking strong heroes you have to realize the shitters are tilting you or you're playing them wrong.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The big thing I hate about ranked seasons is that I got placed at 2.5k when the system was first introduced - I'd climbed up to 4k before but didn't play for more than a year after that so I wasn't super surprised when my MMR tanked. So I really hit matchmaking hard and spammed the good heroes and climbed all the way up to 4k and said "alright Im happy with this" and then stopped. Then, when the next season started I got calibrated back at 2.5k again. I got up to 3.5k before getting bored and stopped for the season. Then, this season starts, guess where I calibrate?

Like I said, picking good heroes definitely makes winning WAY easier. My biggest issue is that, even if I'm on like an 80% winrate across 20 games or something, two losses in a row is enough to make me question my entire strategy.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I feel that last one. I spent a while being 2-3 games from Divine, and would lose because of a bad mid or carry, pick mid or carry and then remember I suck at them after like four more losses then slink off back to pos 3/4/5.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cuntellectual posted:

I feel that last one. I spent a while being 2-3 games from Divine, and would lose because of a bad mid or carry, pick mid or carry and then remember I suck at them after like four more losses then slink off back to pos 3/4/5.

I told that to my friends who are 5k and 7k and they laughed and said the exact same thing. They'd go on huge winstreaks and then only a few losses would make them wonder if the strategy just somehow didn't work anymore, like it was only viable up to an invisible MMR wall and they'd hit it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

about 20% of the time you can't do anything about losing. and about 20% of the time you can't do anything about winning. Assuming you're close to your actual rating.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kild posted:

about 20% of the time you can't do anything about losing. and about 20% of the time you can't do anything about winning. Assuming you're close to your actual rating.

I mostly agree, but it's still a huge downer when you run into a streak of Pudge pickers or something and are just completely hosed.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

I mostly agree, but it's still a huge downer when you run into a streak of Pudge pickers or something and are just completely hosed.

the solution is to become the pudge picker

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

ILL Machina posted:

I'm also bad. You have to acknowledge that either a) your old strats don't work as well (or the same way) as before and you're not adapting to the new game, b) you're not playing heroes that can control/win a game and help you to ascend to that tier you think you deserve, or c) yah, you really do just suck and the remaining player base is getting better without you.

B is tricky because better (4k+) players can win more than a majority of games with nine garbage 1k pubs. So if you are picking strong heroes you have to realize the shitters are tilting you or you're playing them wrong.

It's definitely some of B) as I'm normally doing something like All-Hero challenge (as long as it's a hero I like/am comfortable with) and will pick it early on in the draft regardless. I would have thought I wouldn't have to play broken heroes just to rank up though.

It could also be c) as I'm an old man now and kids probably are that good these days, but it's the most depressing thing ever when I'm getting matched with people playing a hero for the first time or they aren't even aware of what all the items do yet.

It probably has something to do with Australias lovely player base though. I'm queuing as I type this at 11:30PM and I've being waiting 8 minutes for a Ranked/Normal/All Pick game.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Looten Plunder posted:

but it's the most depressing thing ever when I'm getting matched with people playing a hero for the first time or they aren't even aware of what all the items do yet.

This is insane to me. Like, I don't expect people to pick the best heroes all the time, but when people just clearly have no idea what to do it baffled my mind. I had to stop playing safelane carry because supports would do the thing where they hide in that tree crevice near the t1 (you know the one) and just sit there and wait for the enemy team to get close enough to the tower to try and "save" me. Or, they'll stack and pull but only do single pulls on the easy camp, and only pull when the creeps are already under tower so I have to fight the tower for last hits. Like...how did you manage to make it this far and still be so loving bad? Yesterday I had games with a Timbersaw (37% winrate in the Legend bracket, maybe the worst winrate any hero has ever had) and a jungle Venomancer (??????) and those sorts of games, yeah you literally just have no chance of winning and even knowing that it's hard for me to not get demoralized.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This is insane to me. Like, I don't expect people to pick the best heroes all the time, but when people just clearly have no idea what to do it baffled my mind. I had to stop playing safelane carry because supports would do the thing where they hide in that tree crevice near the t1 (you know the one) and just sit there and wait for the enemy team to get close enough to the tower to try and "save" me. Or, they'll stack and pull but only do single pulls on the easy camp, and only pull when the creeps are already under tower so I have to fight the tower for last hits. Like...how did you manage to make it this far and still be so loving bad? Yesterday I had games with a Timbersaw (37% winrate in the Legend bracket, maybe the worst winrate any hero has ever had) and a jungle Venomancer (??????) and those sorts of games, yeah you literally just have no chance of winning and even knowing that it's hard for me to not get demoralized.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Just play Skywrath 4/5, Q at 1 then max concussive and run around killing people and being super aggro. Get like, three or four nulls ASAP. Once you hit 4 roam on mid.

Works well enough at 4K, and your team is basically irrelevant to your game plan. You just do your own poo poo, it rules.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

sugar free jazz posted:

Just play Skywrath 4/5, Q at 1 then max concussive and run around killing people and being super aggro. Get like, three or four nulls ASAP. Once you hit 4 roam on mid.

Works well enough at 4K, and your team is basically irrelevant to your game plan. You just do your own poo poo, it rules.

Oh, don't worry

I'm on that poo poo

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Oh, don't worry

I'm on that poo poo

:hai: :hai:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I'm pretty sure you still shouldn't miss cs under towers and that's not that bad of a position to be in. The wave will push because of the tower and the pull should help the equilibrium pull back. It's not ideal, of course.

And yeah slashing your jungle/challenge hero first pick is a good way to set yourself up to lose. That being said, I tend to do the same thing. It's not that those other heroes are broken, they're just better and let you play more independently. The aren't really many broken heroes right now...can't really think of one.

Also, just learn to cs better.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think the path to Dota spiritual peace is to play as many different heroes as possible because playing the same three over and over again to gain mmr is boring. Accept that you will play below what the skill level you believe you are in your head to do this and be kind to the the numbskulls you are essentially choosing to play with. Namaste

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ILL Machina posted:

I'm pretty sure you still shouldn't miss cs under towers and that's not that bad of a position to be in. The wave will push because of the tower and the pull should help the equilibrium pull back. It's not ideal, of course.

People have done all sorts of math on "damage dead zones" where at early levels, lots of heroes just don't do enough damage to kill a creep vs tower without doing 2-3 pre-hits (unless you want to do poo poo like dropping your quelling blade), and at that point you're also tanking creep hits. I dunno, even 8k players and pro players stuggle to LH under tower pretty frequently so I'm not super worried about that one particular gameplay facet. There's a reason that midlaners intentionally try to nuke down the other team's wave to try and force their wave into the tower.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
If you miss even a single cs with freefarm you can just uninstall basically.

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I think the path to Dota spiritual peace is to play as many different heroes as possible because playing the same three over and over again to gain mmr is boring. Accept that you will play below what the skill level you believe you are in your head to do this and be kind to the the numbskulls you are essentially choosing to play with. Namaste

:agreed:

Namaste.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Oh, don't worry

I'm on that poo poo

this is the worst sky wrath build I have ever seen

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

RisqueBarber posted:

source your quotes! jerk!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Wasn't that morokai event supposed to be happening today?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It's been a very vocal week for in-team fighting.

Dota still has events?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

RisqueBarber posted:

Item or skill build? I think multiple nulls is worse now that the buildup to Atos has crowns. Tranquils you pretty much always want if you have another hero going Greaves, especially if you plan on roaming, which you should be as Sky. Atos is pretty much inarguable. Soul Ring is the big question mark I guess but it's + strength and also means you pretty much never have to go back to base which is huge on a hero with as high a mana cost as Sky has.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

For the last couple battle passes, ya.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Why is it good to max conc lol

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Some guides recommend maxing W on support/roaming Sky.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

You only have 20 years left on this earth and you're spending it playing a video game you don't enjoy.

lmao.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Smythe posted:

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Smythe posted:

Cooldown improves a lot, the damage with extra right clicks can be nice especially if you’re not alone, and probably get more usage out of it as a support than arcane bolt outside of some situations... It’s a good spell, imo, at least that’s how it was a few patches ago, I haven’t kept up on SWM picking tbh

Like, I wouldn’t max it first, but before seven, I’d probably get 2 points, maybe even 3 depending

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 5, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Smythe posted:

Raw damage is high, as opposed to the Int-scaling of the Q which is less useful at low levels, the slow is massive, it's more useful than Q for getting kills which is what you want out of a skill you're going to be maxing

Also two separate 7k MMR players have told me this is the correct build so I'm gonna need some pretty good evidence for me to stop doing it

E: top-ranked skywrath player on Dotabuff (3k+ games on just Sky, 65% winrate) maxes conc in almost all of his games, too

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 5, 2019

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Worth putting points into concussive as a 4/5 because you don’t have the farm or levels to support arcane bolt.

Concussive is a fat slow and big burst from 1600 units away which leads to easy roams on other lanes. It’s also super easy to close the gap after concussive to silence, and the extra slow % makes that easier.

Concussive is also better in lane against sticks and wands, and is more efficient damage in laning.

Also gives you some minor wave clear.

It’s a real good spell

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Back when this game was good I used to slam random every game and just played whatever. The only character I couldn't handle was Invoker and there was always someone that was happy to swap. It sucks that they removed random gold later on.

My only regret is not playing more Meepo. I loved him and had 60%+ winrate as Chen but while it was very easy to justify a Chen pick (he'd win every lane and push super hard and become a support powerhouse in the mid game), it was harder to do the same with Meepo. Your teammates would really poo poo on you if the pick didn't work out so I mostly only played him when I randomed him.

Support Meepo seamlessly transitioning into a jungling roamer who eventually became a carry/initiator might be the most fun I had in this game.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

sugar free jazz posted:

source your quotes! jerk!

Nobody? Really? Ok, i'll do it.

don't sign your posts

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Smythe posted:

If you miss even a single cs with freefarm you can just uninstall basically.

You can try but if you cant farm then you probably lack the mechanical skill to even hit the uninstall button tbh

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

What happened to all the concussion shot haters????

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Event is bad. The hats are ok

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

i appear to have been gifted 100 battlepass points instead of 10000. :confuoot:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

the solution is to become the pudge picker

I'm actually pretty decent with pudge, but he's too low impact if you aren't certain your team will follow through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

What happened to all the concussion shot haters????

IT SEEMS OKAY NOW