Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

There has been artisanal beer in Germany (and the rest of Central Europe) for centuries, they just never tried to make it taste like strawberry juice and it's not brewed by 25 year olds so Americans don't recognize it as "craft beer".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

cebrail posted:

There has been artisanal beer in Germany (and the rest of Central Europe) for centuries, they just never tried to make it taste like strawberry juice and it's not brewed by 25 year olds so Americans don't recognize it as "craft beer".

Ofc but I think at this point "craft beer" connotates American style ales or sours or whatever is hot now, and smalltime breweries making traditional lager or w/e have a very different customer base

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If a beer is actually good, some major brewery will be making it. (Also good lager is relatively difficult to make as it is extremely susceptible to certain contaminants that completely ruin its taste, unlike some 40000000 IBU hopshit IPA that tastes like ruin anyway, which is why small breweries tend to not make a lot of lagers.)

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Jerry Cotton posted:

If a beer is actually good, some major brewery will be making it.

Sorry to hear that drinking from Aurajoki has destroyed your tastebuds

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Guavanaut posted:

Es ist ein Bayernwitz.

Joke‘s on them then, I’m from the part of Bavaria where they unironically wear Lederhosen and I still get included as German :smug:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Saladman posted:

Anyone who thinks "beer in America is lovely" has apparently been living under a rock on Mars for more than 15 years. I have been living in Europe for almost 15 years, and the number of times I've heard that has progressively gone from "fairly often" in 2007, to "I can't remember the last time someone said that, probably more than 5 years ago?"

It's kind of interesting that over this same period, Germans who 15 years ago were once so proud of having the best beers in the world!!! ([small]except Belgium[/small]), have started becoming progressively more self-deprecating about the negative side-effects of their beer purity laws. IIRC you can now buy beer in grocery stores that doesn't follow the Beer Laws, but maybe it has to be labeled in some way? I live 50 km from the German border but I've only been to Germany like once in the past 3 years.

Here's a map:

When I hear someone say "beer is bad in the US" or "food is so terrible in England! Like, it's all fish and chips so greasy!" it's a good sign that they don't get out much.

E: Also in the map, lol that Denver, Portland, and San Diego are in zoomed-in sections inside zoomed in sections. Also NB that if you right-click and open in a new window it is much bigger although still borderline-illegible.

breweries aren't inherently a sign of good beer. like i dont necessarily disagree with you exactly but i live in minneapolis and like half those breweries sell crappy ipas

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

breweries aren't inherently a sign of good beer. like i dont necessarily disagree with you exactly but i live in minneapolis and like half those breweries sell crappy ipas

Sure, but there are like what, 5000 breweries on that map? If none of them make a beer that you like, then you don't like beer and can't exactly make and judgement calls. Every American grocery store I've been in in the past 10 years has a selection of like 500 different beers, so it's not like those breweries are so niche that you can't find their beers elsewhere. I'm not a fan of the Mikkeller insanely fruity 15% ABV style beers either, but Denmark also has like 9000 different beers and a great beer scene in general.

Then try going somewhere like Thailand, where you get a Chang or a Heineken, and that's it. I like ice cold commercial lager too, but sometimes you're out camping or rafting or something, and god help you if the only thing you have is a lukewarm commercial lager.

(Well, I'm sure Bangkok has some craft breweries now too, just like anywhere else that Hip Westerners go, maybe I should have said like... Chengdu.)

Saladman fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 4, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's a really odd question. Wouldn't you?

I mean I assumed Faroese beer was liquor watered down with soda

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The beer is brewed there but their brennivín/akavit hás to be brewed in Iceland and shipped back home because it's illegal to brew strong liquor in the Faroe Islands.

Faroese beer is pretty good.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ras Het posted:

you might as well say that the Danes make better beer which is like yeah, but it all costs 10e a pint and isn't really something you want to drink with your dinner every day, as is the point with lager/dunkel/weiss
Denmark makes probably the best beer in the world.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Denmark makes probably the best beer in the world.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If Carlsberg hasn't done a "Carlsberg - Australian for probably the best beer in the world" campaign in Australia, they're idiots!

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Carlsberg is poo poo and the worst thing is that at CPH a "large" beer somehow means a 2 liter jug instead of 0,5 liters like everywhere else

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Carlsberg owns like 90% of the breweries in Europe. So even you're drinking beer from Switzerland, Bulgaria, or Uzbekistan odds are the company that brews it is a subsidiary of Carlsberg.

They're to the beer industry what Disney is to entertainment.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jerry Cotton posted:

If Carlsberg hasn't done a "Carlsberg - Australian for probably the best beer in the world" campaign in Australia, they're idiots!

In Iceland it's against the law to advertise alcohol. or at least anything that's stronger than 2,25%. Which is why in Iceland that as ran as "Carlsberg: probably the best *bleep* in the world".

Every Icelandic brand of course has a "light ale" that's exactly 2,25% that they can advertise and use to sponsor concerts and festivals and what not. Coincidentally these light ales are in packaging that looks almost identical to their stronger counterparts so though it might look like that billboard or TV ad is for beer it has "*light ale" in tiny letters in the corner.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I'm finally starting to want to get into trying lots of beers, and the whole craft extravaganza thing is awesome in theory, but as mentioned a large amount are IPA's and similar types.
And what I want to start exploring is dark beers. Any recs for me?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Grape posted:

I'm finally starting to want to get into trying lots of beers, and the whole craft extravaganza thing is awesome in theory, but as mentioned a large amount are IPA's and similar types.

Availability depends where you live but founders and dogfishhead are pretty ubiquitously available. Prairie, fremont, 3 floyds, goose island, jackie o's, bottle logic, alesmith, dark horse, cigar city, and surly all make great stouts. 2 to 5 of those should be available in any major city. If you want, sour, belgian, or barleywine recommendations I've got those too.

Leviathan Song fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 4, 2019

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Grape posted:

For ales you wanna look at stouts, porters, ESBs, brown ales, amber ales, and maybe some heavier belgian stuff.
For lagers you wanna look at doppelbocks, eisbocks, dunkels, marzens, and rye beers if you find any.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I'm in CT, nearer NYC than Boston.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
IPA's are common because getting a passable flavour out of them isn't too difficult. It's just "steep hops to taste". Practically making tea.
I've never understood the whining about them, they'd be the default beer if making macrobrew lagers wasn't able to be done on such a vast industrial scale.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Lagers are god's only chosen beer. Ale of any sort is pig beer.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

There are probably enough french people in London to live there only speaking french. William Guillaume would be proud.

I know this is from pages ago but I can confirm this is true; my (French) uncle lived in London for a few years working at a French restaurant (he's a chef) and came back speaking approximately four words of English.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Zurakara posted:

IPA's are common because getting a passable flavour out of them isn't too difficult. It's just "steep hops to taste". Practically making tea.
I've never understood the whining about them, they'd be the default beer if making macrobrew lagers wasn't able to be done on such a vast industrial scale.

As an IPA hater, the "whining" is just the excessive number. There is no reason you should go to a beer bar that has 25 things on tap and 20 are the same style; the fact that the style is IPA is irrelevant. Even if you like IPAs I can't imagine why you wouldn't want a larger variety of things to choose from.

I personally find most of them bitter and gross but that's neither here nor there, no problem with people liking different things. I wouldn't want to go to a fish restaurant with a 20 item menu and 15 of them are bass fried in slightly different batters or whatever.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I like IPA but they make me sneeze, like all bitter flavors :gerty:

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

System Metternich posted:

Joke‘s on them then, I’m from the part of Bavaria where they unironically wear Lederhosen and I still get included as German :smug:

They also included Bavaria TwoAustria. Not very well thought out, those Nazi memes.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

As an IPA hater, the "whining" is just the excessive number. There is no reason you should go to a beer bar that has 25 things on tap and 20 are the same style; the fact that the style is IPA is irrelevant. Even if you like IPAs I can't imagine why you wouldn't want a larger variety of things to choose from.

I personally find most of them bitter and gross but that's neither here nor there, no problem with people liking different things. I wouldn't want to go to a fish restaurant with a 20 item menu and 15 of them are bass fried in slightly different batters or whatever.

I don't even know how places like that stay in business. I went to a bar in Copenhagen last year with like 30 "beers" on tap, and 28 of them were fruit punches flavored with sour warheads that even college frat parties would balk at serving.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Saladman posted:

I don't even know how places like that stay in business. I went to a bar in Copenhagen last year with like 30 "beers" on tap, and 28 of them were fruit punches flavored with sour warheads that even college frat parties would balk at serving.

I generally like IPAs and craft beers but anytime I go to a pub specializing in craft beers I have to spend the first 15 minutes deciphering the menu. I mean what does "strawberry milkshake coffe cream stout" even mean? Why does a glass of the stuff cost more than two bottles of good vodka?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/5FjxVhJ.jpg

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

steinrokkan posted:

Lagers are god's only chosen beer. Ale of any sort is pig beer.

As a foreigner living in the UK, this is the absolute truth. Ales, especially the room temperature pints you get as a default throughout Britain, are garbage.

That being said, the "craft beer" culture here is weird. When I lived in Canada and the US craft beer featured a lot of IPAs, but it was more about exploring varied types, so that craft beer bars would have probably 1/3 IPAs and 2/3 other types (wheat beers, stouts, sours, etc.); here it's majority IPAs with maybe a handful of other types of non-Ale beer on the side. I went to a craft beer festival in Nottingham a month ago and pretty much every stall was 2-3 types of IPA and 1, maybe 2 types of other beer.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jul 5, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BTW, IPAs are very 2015, last time I checked it was all about sour ales and geuzes and saisons (or something like that) and other literally undrinkable poo poo. Also salty beer.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MeinPanzer posted:

As a foreigner living in the UK, this is the absolute truth. Ales, especially the room temperature pints you get as a default throughout Britain, are garbage.
The 'room temperature' should be the temperature of the keg room, which should be conditioned to 6-11C depending on the beer, it's only room temperature in that the kegs are not refrigerated, the room is cooled. (Although I'm not sure what the difference is between a walk in fridge and a room with an air conditioner other than 'about 5 Celsius'.

Maybe there are places serving beer at 25C but ugh.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Also salty beer.
:cumpolice:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ciders are the new hotness.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Count Roland posted:

Ciders are the new hotness.

Oh it's 2012 again?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just buttchug hand sanitizer like a real man.

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask
"Look at me, I just drink lagers, craft beers suck" is just as annoying an attitude as "look at me, I just drink craft beers, industrial beers suck".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A bar-owner once asked me why I taste their lovely fuckbeers whenever they get something new on tap since I never like any of them, and the obvious answer was "so that when I rant about how lovely they are, no faux lumberjack with their rear end hanging out of little girls' jeans and Randcore-humppa-fusion on their Airpods can tell me I have no standing since I haven't even drunk them."

e: My principles may be really loving stupid but at least I have principles.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jerry Cotton posted:

BTW, IPAs are very 2015, last time I checked it was all about sour ales and geuzes and saisons (or something like that) and other literally undrinkable poo poo. Also salty beer.

I saw that. A Breton beer "made with sea water". Though I suppose in Brittany they don't have much choice, the only other liquid found naturally in the region being literal pig piss.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Jerry Cotton posted:

A bar-owner once asked me why I taste their lovely fuckbeers whenever they get something new on tap since I never like any of them, and the obvious answer was "so that when I rant about how lovely they are, no faux lumberjack with their rear end hanging out of little girls' jeans and Randcore-humppa-fusion on their Airpods can tell me I have no standing since I haven't even drunk them."

e: My principles may be really loving stupid but at least I have principles.

this explains a lot

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

I saw that. A Breton beer "made with sea water". Though I suppose in Brittany they don't have much choice, the only other liquid found naturally in the region being literal pig piss.

That's probably Mor Braz, the ambrée is the only one even halfway drinkable, the blonde and blanche are pretty awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Hip Flask posted:

"Look at me, I just drink lagers, craft beers suck" is just as annoying an attitude as "look at me, I just drink craft beers, industrial beers suck".

Beer sucks.