Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for handling my son's coming out the way I did?

LOL, wasn't there a similar story a couple weeks back where some dude came out to his roommate, and the roommate was like, "oh, okay. Are you gonna drink your shot or what?"

Makes me wonder if this is a somewhat common thing now where gay people come out to friends and family, and people are just like, "oh, okay... cool." with little to no emotional impact or fanfare.

Obviously, if it's a family member or close friend you should probably at least acknowledge that the decision to come out was extremely difficult and potentially terrifying. On the other hand, if you come out to your roommate, and they're just like, "sure, whatever," I'd call that a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Would he(31M) lose interest in me(21F) if I don’t go out with him soon?

quote:

Met this guy at my work, he’s a police officer that patrols my area so he always makes conversation with me. We’re mutually attracted to each other and want to go out but our schedules clash. He works 10hr 12pm-11pm shifts for 4 days (Fri-Mon). For his 3 days off (Tues-Thurs) he drives 4 hours to his hometown to help his brother that’s a single dad of 2. I go to class Monday-Thursday 8am-10am then I go straight to work 11-6pm. So I see him around 2-3 times a week and I feel bad that I can’t give him an answer on when I’m down to go out. His preferred day to take me out is either Sunday or Monday night when he gets off work at 11pm. I’m really attracted to him but I just physically and mentally can’t do that especially on a Sunday or Monday night.

He’s also mentioned industry night which I think is Sunday night??? But he told me that’s when everyone that usually works on the weekend goes out but it’s chill, and I don’t think I’d fit in with that crowd.

Any suggestions on how this could work?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dad did completely fine, mom watches too many movies. Gay son is probably relieved that his dad recognizes that it’s no big deal.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for sending my little brother to bed for farting at the dinner table? (I’m his older sister)

Lmao, flush it down.

Why not let him attach a handle to the fart and carry it out into the garden

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Power Khan posted:

Why not let him attach a handle to the fart and carry it out into the garden

The hell.

I have so many questions and don't think I want answers.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Scathach posted:

The hell.

I have so many questions and don't think I want answers.

I condider this to be one of my best posts here on this forum

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Out of all the stories in which someone comes out and the reaction is nonchalant, the dad handled it decently. He didn't say the dreaded words "I don't care," which is good. To one person, that phrase may sound casual and accepting, but to another it sounds uncaring when they need to hear words of affirmation.

The son might get that the dad isn't the emotional person and is okay with dad's reaction. But i'd still tell dad to go back and say something more supportive. Coming out can be an emotionally trying time, and its best to play it safe in case the son feels let down by dad's words. There is no downside to a follow up talk.

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe
Be warned, son of mine, that buttholes contain perils of their own

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DemoneeHo posted:

Out of all the stories in which someone comes out and the reaction is nonchalant, the dad handled it decently. He didn't say the dreaded words "I don't care," which is good. To one person, that phrase may sound casual and accepting, but to another it sounds uncaring when they need to hear words of affirmation.

The son might get that the dad isn't the emotional person and is okay with dad's reaction. But i'd still tell dad to go back and say something more supportive. Coming out can be an emotionally trying time, and its best to play it safe in case the son feels let down by dad's words. There is no downside to a follow up talk.

This is good advice. Sometimes I feel bad that these people aren’t getting primo goon advice.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

M.C. McMic posted:

LOL, wasn't there a similar story a couple weeks back where some dude came out to his roommate, and the roommate was like, "oh, okay. Are you gonna drink your shot or what?"

Makes me wonder if this is a somewhat common thing now where gay people come out to friends and family, and people are just like, "oh, okay... cool." with little to no emotional impact or fanfare.

Obviously, if it's a family member or close friend you should probably at least acknowledge that the decision to come out was extremely difficult and potentially terrifying. On the other hand, if you come out to your roommate, and they're just like, "sure, whatever," I'd call that a win.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

M.C. McMic posted:

My friend since high school came out at like age 35 to me and my response was "cool man I'm happy you can just be yourself" and that was it. :shrug:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I tried to come out to my mom and she was like “are you sure we haven’t had this conversation already?” and then she said “anyways I guess it makes sense, your dad was bi!” which was NEWS TO ME so my own coming out accidentally became my dead dad’s posthumous coming out.

My brother just went “yeah that makes sense” and we went back to playing Rainbow Six. We’re a petty open minded family but I was still really happy that no one needed any kind of follow up or felt the need to make a big deal about it but I really wanna hear about my dad being a fairy twink in San Fransisco living with another dude in the 60’s before moving to Boston and falling in love with a stripper. What!?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for skipping my child's birth to attend a video game tournament?

quote:

I definitely need to keep all the details confidential here so i will not explain how long ago, where, what video game and basically any other detail.

I am a profesional gamer and that's where most of my household's income comes from and there was a tournament happening on a certain day which i had been training for months. My wife knew how important this was not only for me to boost my standing and fame but also for us to increase our income. My wife is pregnant and is expected to deliver around 3 weeks after the the video game tournament.She told me to go and everything will be fine because the delivery isn't expected and worst case scenario she'll be fine if it happens. I was worried but my wife assured me everything will be fine. I drive 2 hours to another city to begin the tournament. Next day I'm about to start semifinals, this is a big deal, if i win semifinals and make to the finals i will make tens of thousands of dollars and have the opportunity to win many times more that in the finals my wife calls me 20 minutes before the semifinals start saying she's about to go into labor and needs me to come down. I told her i can't and she loses her poo poo cursing at me nonstop. I have to leave and i hang up on here. I play and i don't really concentrate well because of the situation but i actually make it to finals somehow just barely. I go to finals and don't win but I've greatly improved my standing.

My wife is absolutely pissed at me but once i come back and start hanging out with her and the newborn boy she calms down and seems to be alright. I have gotten nonstop poo poo from her parents about it though who do nothing but insult me whenever i see them. They say I'm undeserving of my wife and want my wife to divorce me.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

just hanging out with my wife and the neonatal male in question

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Pinecone Sample posted:

Dual monitors, facetiming with your birthing wife on one screen, viddies on the second.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Smirking_Serpent posted:

https://www.clickhole.com/heartwarming-watch-this-dad-totally-accept-his-gay-son-1825126350

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Pinecone Sample posted:

Would he(31M) lose interest in me(21F) if I don’t go out with him soon?
how about don't gently caress cops. problem solved.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

DemoneeHo posted:

I'd wait to see if there's any notion that the son was actually bothered rather than mom.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Smirking_Serpent posted:

There was a similar story a long time ago as well about a daughter coming out, and the parent (I think dad) had a similarly subdued but accepting response and I think the daughter made some angry Facebook post that there was no big reaction / tears / etc.

Minecraft story was a little bit :smith: but it is sort of similar to giving your parent macaroni art.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You probably should make an effort to recognize this is a big deal for them.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah gay and queer kids are still growing up in a society that makes them feel that they have to confess their sexuality and accept that it may cost them their relationships, including their parents. I’d say that warrants a bit more effort than “that’s cool” and then patting yourself on the back for being understanding. Ultimately that fear is still a valid part of their experience that you’re just dismissing out of hand because you’re above it.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

spite house posted:

Let's not forget the incredibly obvious fact the cop is driving to see his "brothers family" every day off he has.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You probably should make an effort to recognize this is a big deal for them.

My interpretation is that is what the dad realizes - "this is a big deal for the kid, I'm going to downplay it to show that we're accepting and he can be whoever he is". Sort of to eliminate the stigma?

But I agree a more obvious show of support is in order.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Pinecone Sample posted:

To be fair to the in-laws he was probably undeserving of his wife once he dedicated his life to being a professional gamer. The fact he missed the birth of his premature son to play a video game tournament is just kind of icing on the cake at this point.

Cool of him to hang out with his premie kid afterwards though

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

Foot fetish is common enough that I've met plenty of foot guys who were fine, and I don't consider it a red flag or anything, but... it seems like every time we have one of these "my partner is being obvious and gross about his fetish in public" stories, and there isn't any other serious underlying disability or mental illness, it's always feet. Maybe it's because feet are easy to creep on in public?

I've encountered strangers who are clearly into feet and being gross about it but know none personally. How does that conversation even happen? Do two dudes sit down one day and list off their dark fantasies as a game of chicken or something?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

GamingHyena posted:

To be fair to the in-laws he was probably undeserving of his wife once he dedicated his life to being a professional gamer. The fact he missed the birth of his premature son to play a video game tournament is just kind of icing on the cake at this point.

Cool of him to hang out with his premie kid afterwards though

This dude sounds like a piece of poo poo but unless they get health care through his wife’s job then someone needs to be able to pay the 15k hospital bill for the baby being born. Potentially walking away from that much money for your family might not have been an option.

It really bums me out that he didn’t tell us what the game was, if it was like Overwatch or FIFA or Street Fighter id be supportive but if he’s a Smash grinder I hope his thumbs fall off.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
If video game dad won enough to pay for his kid to go to college and can set it aside for that purpose then he's not the rear end in a top hat. Otherwise he is a total rear end in a top hat.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

he says his professional gaming is the primary income for his household, so either they're poor as poo poo or he might have been right that the tournament was really critical to his continued career.

leaning towards "poor as poo poo" though

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

spite house posted:

Actually her campus is really supportive, everyone is saying “gently caress the police”

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

spite house posted:

That goes against everything that I learned from nwa

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

QuarkJets posted:

That goes against everything that I learned from nwa

Yeah well Dr. Dre beats the everloving gently caress out of women so don’t listen to a drat thing he says.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling “guests” that they can’t come to my house unless they bring food or drinks to share?

So this is a currently unfolding situation.

Background: My entire family is poor and lives paycheck to paycheck. I earned a scholarship to college and then started a career so I am the only member of our family that is not living in poverty. My husband and I are solidly middle class. For the past decade or so, we have been hosting family get-togethers about once a month, inviting my whole family (3 siblings and spouses plus my parents) and paying for everything (food, drink, etc).

Current situation: My husband was laid off about a year ago and has been unemployed or underemployed ever since. He is currently working at about 50% of his old salary. Things are financially difficult. We are just covering our bills with our combined income and if anything extra comes up, we have to take it out of savings. One area that we are trying to save money with is hosting these family get-together. We haven’t stopped completely (we hosted Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Mother’s Day, and some birthdays) but we have stopped hosting lesser holidays (skipped Super Bowl Sunday and Memorial Day). Today is Independence Day. We normally have a get together but we told everyone we would just be spending a quiet holiday alone with our children.

Yesterday, my mom called upset that we weren’t hosting anything. I told her we were just going to spend the day swimming (we belong to a swim club). Immediately she got excited and wanted to come, along with my youngest sister who lives at home. I eventually agreed but said it would only be for a few hours. Later in the day, all of my siblings started calling me and asking when they could come over to use the pool and what were we doing for dinner. Now, I have to pay to get them into the swim club and I have no interest in paying for them all to eat and drink all day long. So after talking it over with my husband, we decided to call them all and tell them that we could not host a meal, but if they each wanted to bring a dish to share and anything they wanted to drink, we would host a potluck meal so we could all eat together. Well they didn’t like that well. One said that they don’t get paid until Friday and had no food in the house so it was like us telling them that they couldn’t come. One said that it wasn’t fair. They want to see the family. Making them bring food takes money they would use to buy groceries and is like taking food out of their family’s mouth.

We didn’t give in. I wasn’t planning to host. If they want to come, then they can contribute. But from their perspective, I have money that they don’t and it’s selfish to ask them to bring anything. So Reddit, AITA?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for banning my brother in law from my house after he had sex in my bed?

My (36m) wife (30) has a younger brother who recently moved to the city where we live to go to university. He rents a place with some friends, lives fairly close to us, and we see each other often. I've known him since he was 13 (he's 19 now) and we get along very well.

My wife and I went on holiday last month and we were gone for about a month. Since we knew he had finals and would probably appreciate some peace and quiet, we asked him to look after our place while we were gone. My wife said he can use whatever he wants, and she left him some extra money for food and whatnot.

While we were gone, they talked on the phone and he asked if his boyfriend can come over a couple of times a week, and my wife said of course. When they hung up, I asked her if he was coming over for dinner or a study date or to sleep over. She said she didn't ask, but what does it matter, any one of those things is fine. I said I wasn't fine with all of it, in particular the sleeping-over option, because my BIL was sleeping in our bed and I didn't want him to have sex in it. She laughed at me and said that she's sure her brother doesn't mind sleeping in the bed we had sex in so what's the problem. We had a huge fight, I wanted to call him to check, but she told me that he's doing us a favor and to leave him alone.

When we got back, and I was left alone with my BIL, I asked him how his study dates with his boyfriend were going, and he said fine. So I asked if that was all they did. He asked me what I mean, and I said 'well, you know'... So he said 'well, he IS my boyfriend, so yeah, you know'. I was getting pretty angry at this point and I just asked 'in my bed?' I guess he could see I was getting mad, so he said he was uncomfortable talking about it. At this point I lost it - HE was the one that's uncomfortable?? It's my loving bed covered in his and his boyfriend's rear end sweat and semen. I started shouting at him, and my wife came and started shouting at me, and I just told him that he disrespected us and to get the gently caress out and that I don't want to see him in my house again. He said he washed and replaced the bed linen before we got back but that only made me angrier - what about the loving mattress and the pillows? He couldn't have gone back to his place to gently caress? He told me I was an insane oval office and left. I've slept on the couch of my own volition since then, and my wife is furious with me. Am I really the rear end in a top hat?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (36m) wife (30) has a younger brother who recently moved to the city where we live to go to university. He rents a place with some friends, lives fairly close to us, and we see each other often. I've known him since he was 13 (he's 19 now) and we get along very well.

My wife and I went on holiday last month and we were gone for about a month. Since we knew he had finals and would probably appreciate some peace and quiet, we asked him to look after our place while we were gone. My wife said he can use whatever he wants, and she left him some extra money for food and whatnot.

While we were gone, they talked on the phone and he asked if his boyfriend can come over a couple of times a week, and my wife said of course. When they hung up, I asked her if he was coming over for dinner or a study date or to sleep over. She said she didn't ask, but what does it matter, any one of those things is fine. I said I wasn't fine with all of it, in particular the sleeping-over option, because my BIL was sleeping in our bed and I didn't want him to have sex in it. She laughed at me and said that she's sure her brother doesn't mind sleeping in the bed we had sex in so what's the problem. We had a huge fight, I wanted to call him to check, but she told me that he's doing us a favor and to leave him alone.

When we got back, and I was left alone with my BIL, I asked him how his study dates with his boyfriend were going, and he said fine. So I asked if that was all they did. He asked me what I mean, and I said 'well, you know'... So he said 'well, he IS my boyfriend, so yeah, you know'. I was getting pretty angry at this point and I just asked 'in my bed?' I guess he could see I was getting mad, so he said he was uncomfortable talking about it. At this point I lost it - HE was the one that's uncomfortable?? It's my loving bed covered in his and his boyfriend's rear end sweat and semen. I started shouting at him, and my wife came and started shouting at me, and I just told him that he disrespected us and to get the gently caress out and that I don't want to see him in my house again. He said he washed and replaced the bed linen before we got back but that only made me angrier - what about the loving mattress and the pillows? He couldn't have gone back to his place to gently caress? He told me I was an insane oval office and left. I've slept on the couch of my own volition since then, and my wife is furious with me. Am I really the rear end in a top hat?

Holy moly. BIL hit the nail on the head.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Lol if you think that loving in somebody else's bed is ok, without their explicit consent.

"I took a poo poo on your table, but I cleaned up afterwards. Why are you angry? You said I had the house for myself"

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

monkeytennis posted:

Holy moly. BIL hit the nail on the head.

The rule about having sex with your boyfriend in my bed is pretty clear: he needs to go to the bathroom and sit on the toilet to fart, and then flush it down.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Smirking_Serpent posted:

100% this prick wouldn't have a single problem if BIL was straight and loving his GF in their bed.

Power Khan posted:

Lol if you think that loving in somebody else's bed is ok, without their explicit consent.

"I took a poo poo on your table, but I cleaned up afterwards. Why are you angry? You said I had the house for myself"

BIL washed the sheets, so who the gently caress cares?

Kamikaze Raider fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 4, 2019

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Power Khan posted:

lol no one has ever asked for or received permission to gently caress in someone else's bed in recorded history

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Power Khan posted:

Given the context, you're saying that you normally poo poo on your own table but think it would be impolite for someone else to do the same, because that's your sacred poo poo-spot. Is that really your intention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kamikaze Raider posted:

100% this prick wouldn't have a single problem if BIL was straight and loving his GF in their bed.

BIL washed the sheets, so who the gently caress cares?

ow ooof the take is so hot

don't gently caress in other people's beds. christ.