Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Stellaris is also doing a summer beta so maybe Paradox just wants feedback to build up during the break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

ilitarist posted:

Let's not be too harsh on the people. Paradox is successful in large part because of people goodwill. They sell you a game that you know has hundreds of dollars worth DLC and they want you to trust them that it's not pay to play. Their games have subpar graphics and hostile UI, documentation, and tutorials - and you have to trust them that after 20 hours of getting into it and maybe watching some letsplays you'll have some fun. Even devoted fans say that their games require a lot of patches to work properly and still have a lot of bugs years after continuous support.

Paradox makes unique games and a lot is forgiven. Even the worst Total War or Civilization game still gives you a beautiful high-value production and they're still hated when they do something like Rome 2 or Civilization 5. Well nowadays Paradox grand strategy gaming is roughly as big as TW was back in 2013 but they didn't upgrade their games accordingly. They burned through a lot of goodwill with their DLC policies and other stuff and now they're seeing what it means to get a disproportionate reaction to a good game that has some problems.

If they don't change Imperator so that majority of people likes it then their next grand strategy game will have no goodwill left to use and will be judged accordingly. I will still probably play it cause that's my groove (and I don't believe Paradox can produce an actual bad game) but they'll lose all those people who became fans because of CK2, EU4, and Stellaris being the first games in their respective styles that you can play without reading a 400 pages manual.

Agreed but still, a ton of people are vocally complaining that there's no game at all in Imperator and it's only an empty shell to be filled with DLC. And I completely disagree with that.

There is a game in Imperator, and it was there from 1.0 ; it was just not the game people wanted, and they're bashing it for that which is completely insane to me. It's like I buy Forza Horizon 4 and get shocked that it's missing racetracks and Formula 1 cars... it's just... not that kind of game, and everyone who looked up any info on it, knows it. IT was very, very clear that this game would have been 75% EU4 meets 25% CK2, and imo that's exactly what we got, so I'm pretty confused by the reactions. I mean I can see how people say that 75% CK2 and 25% EU4 would have been better, I might even agree on that, but it's just not what it is, and not what was advertised ...

Of course I do recognize the game has flaws, and if they went in "radio silence" without telling anything about their plans I'd be very much worried believe me, but they've been even more open than they usually are, admitted their fuckups and are actively trying to make the game better... and still, even in this very thread, there's people bashing the game even harder than before. That makes me pretty confused since it seems to me, that they're doing their best and the situation will be quickly remedied (quickly in terms of game development, you can't uproot and remake one game over 2 months ... it will take 1 year or so and a couple DLC to get there IMO)

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Well as I've said previously it's a first big Paradox game they published that is similar to their previous popular game. Unless CK3 will be a full version of CK2 with better UI and cadet branches added on top - you'll have the same reaction, maybe even bigger and more hostile. Or maybe it'll be fine if it's completely different so comparing CK3 to CK2 would look like comparing Strellaris to CK2.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
People are complaining about Imperator because unlike CK2 or Stellaris or EU4 it's real boring. Hope this helps.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Chomp8645 posted:

People are complaining about Imperator because unlike CK2 or Stellaris or EU4 it's real boring. Hope this helps.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess ... I find Stellaris pretty boring, much more than Imperator, even with both in their current state :shrug:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

imperator is an empty shell and wildly unfun because of that. there's not enough dlc you could shovel into that hole to fill it.

and the lead dev comes across as a total prick... which is the only marginally entertaining thing about this release.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I don't think I will ever understand what the essential quality is that makes EU4 not an "empty shell" but Imperator is, but then I generally hate the concept of "flavour" as applied to Paradox games because it seems to mean "your favourite region / religion gets a button to click every 10 years which gives you disproportionately large bonuses"

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
What's your stance on EU4's random world?

e: also re: the sudden beta, I don't think it's necessarily that concerning. Since they're doing an overhaul of something that's practically a fundamental system, getting more feedback in its earlier stages can only be a good thing, and doing that when they're all away for a month sounds like a fine time for it.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 4, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Johan posted:

This time we are trying something different out, to let you guys participate in the phase from alpha until release. What does this mean?

- We will be updating it several times, during this time.
- UI/UX is not finalised, and will be worked upon during these two months.
- A lot of Art and SFX is currently placeholders.
- The AI is not great yet at handling the new features.
- Balance is not yet 100%.

July will be focused on making sure the new functionality works properly, and getting balance to a close enough state that the AI development does not have to be done multiple times.

So, wonky AI and placeholder art coming to your system today!

This could be fun, who knows what silly bugs there are to be exploited :v:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

RabidWeasel posted:

I generally hate the concept of "flavour" as applied to Paradox games because it seems to mean "your favourite region / religion gets a button to click every 10 years which gives you disproportionately large bonuses"
This is flavor as implemented by Paradox, I don't think it's what most people actually think of when they think of immersive gameplay.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't think I will ever understand what the essential quality is that makes EU4 not an "empty shell" but Imperator is, but then I generally hate the concept of "flavour" as applied to Paradox games because it seems to mean "your favourite region / religion gets a button to click every 10 years which gives you disproportionately large bonuses"

It means different things that change the way you play depending on which nation you select.

Picking between countries like Venice, Ottomans, Portugal, whoever in the HRE or Russia gives you a lot of difference in how you play the game. It's not about the mechanics of clicking a button every 10 years, but how that combined with the different events, governments, military, religious, alliances, expansion, trade and colonisation situation changes your experience and creates exciting stories.

In Imperator you have Tribal or Mediterranean major power as the only meaningful differences and they rapidly conflate into the exact same experience by the time you hit regional power.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 4, 2019

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Koramei posted:

What's your stance on EU4's random world?

Generally poor because it messes up the interesting asymmetries in the map setup, but the concept is solid.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I said it earlier in the thread but there is no two experiences in Imperator as different as Portugal and Austria in EU4

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

AnEdgelord posted:

I said it earlier in the thread but there is no two experiences in Imperator as different as Portugal and Austria in EU4

Per Paradox, this was a design goal.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Different strokes for different folks, I guess ... I find Stellaris pretty boring, much more than Imperator, even with both in their current state :shrug:

Different strokes for different folks sure, but when you're saying the reaction is undeserved then that certainly doesn't seem like YOU actually agree with different strokes for different folks?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I don't play colonisers or historical majors in EU4 which gives you an end experience pretty similar to what Imperator offers only Imperator has a way better map and more interesting unit balance.

I do tend to forget that there's this whole part of the game which I just don't interact with and that my experience is very atypical.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

reignonyourparade posted:

Different strokes for different folks sure, but when you're saying the reaction is undeserved then that certainly doesn't seem like YOU actually agree with different strokes for different folks?

Finding the game boring is one thing and that's perfectly legitimate, I don't want everybody to like the game unconditionally, but for example

jfood posted:

imperator is an empty shell and wildly unfun because of that. there's not enough dlc you could shovel into that hole to fill it.

and the lead dev comes across as a total prick... which is the only marginally entertaining thing about this release.

well I find that a bit harsh :v: because there is a game there, you can argue it's not a very good game, and it can and must be improved - but still, some crazy weirdos are enjoying it :D

I'm playing 1.2 beta and I have to say, now I feel limited by the new mana, political influence :v: but there's a ton more things happening, and some of the choices had pretty real consequences and were not that clear-cut, juggling loyalty, tyranny and other stuff feels impactful now. I think it works better, but I've just been playing an hour or so.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Tbh pompey is pretty fun and solid right now. Makes sense to beta cicero early, given it changes everything and will inevitably require a ton of rebalancing and they only have like two months, one of which is vacation time

Imperator is already better than stellaris as an actual strategy game imo

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Fuligin posted:

Most strategy games are.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chomp8645 posted:

CK2 is insanely boring unless you are into role play or insane min maxing

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Strange. Imperator isn't starting or downloading when I try a reinstall om the Xbox game pass app.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Fuligin posted:

Tbh pompey is pretty fun and solid right now. Makes sense to beta cicero early, given it changes everything and will inevitably require a ton of rebalancing and they only have like two months, one of which is vacation time

why do they only have two months?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Senor Dog posted:

I think sometime in september was planned for cicero in the roadmap. I may be misremembering

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Senor Dog posted:

I think they indicated on their timeline that it would be a September release. Obviously that could be pushed back and it’s almost three months technically.

As someone who is on the beta branch of all games at all times this is great, though. I hope they do this more often.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

Because that's when [i]they[i] arrive.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

CK2 is insanely boring unless you are into role play or insane min maxing

Weirdly I'm too much of a min maxer for the former but not quite enough for the latter

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
CK2 can definitely work as a dollhouse kinda like the Sims where you're filling in the gaps with your imagination. I usually have some kind of meta story in my head while playing even if it's not always conscious, like imagining a historian telling the story of what's happening in the game from some point in the future.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Randallteal posted:

CK2 can definitely work as a dollhouse kinda like the Sims where you're filling in the gaps with your imagination. I usually have some kind of meta story in my head while playing even if it's not always conscious, like imagining a historian telling the story of what's happening in the game from some point in the future.

Yeah that’s what i mean by roleplaying, as far as an actual game goes it’s kind of a mess and not very good.

But the role play poo poo is also what makes it unique so I can’t blame anyone for liking it for that

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

ilitarist posted:

Let's not be too harsh on the people. Paradox is successful in large part because of people goodwill. They sell you a game that you know has hundreds of dollars worth DLC and they want you to trust them that it's not pay to play. Their games have subpar graphics and hostile UI, documentation, and tutorials - and you have to trust them that after 20 hours of getting into it and maybe watching some letsplays you'll have some fun. Even devoted fans say that their games require a lot of patches to work properly and still have a lot of bugs years after continuous support.

Paradox makes unique games and a lot is forgiven. Even the worst Total War or Civilization game still gives you a beautiful high-value production and they're still hated when they do something like Rome 2 or Civilization 5. Well nowadays Paradox grand strategy gaming is roughly as big as TW was back in 2013 but they didn't upgrade their games accordingly. They burned through a lot of goodwill with their DLC policies and other stuff and now they're seeing what it means to get a disproportionate reaction to a good game that has some problems.

If they don't change Imperator so that majority of people likes it then their next grand strategy game will have no goodwill left to use and will be judged accordingly. I will still probably play it cause that's my groove (and I don't believe Paradox can produce an actual bad game) but they'll lose all those people who became fans because of CK2, EU4, and Stellaris being the first games in their respective styles that you can play without reading a 400 pages manual.

I don't think it's just Paradox. It's just that the market is oversaturated with half-finished games and the customers are slowly losing patience. The business model where you generate a lot of hype around the game, sell it when you have some runnable code (and sometimes even before that, because of Kickstarter) and slowly work on it while using players as unpaid QA is unsustainable in the long term. You can invest only in so many never delivered Kickstarters, unplayable Early Access games and early betas rushed out, before you realize that if you wait a year, you can have a much better game that also costs less. I don't understand the logic of charging a full amount of money for an unfinished product and putting a finished one later in the bargain bin.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Randallteal posted:

Yeah, I never manage to do that. When I play EU4 - I'm there, I am the state. When I get the prize it's because I've outplayed someone at the great chessboard. When I succeed in CK2 it's because some of my enemies have chocked on a pretzel and other had a sudden ambitious rebelous vassal,and I happen to strike a lucky event healing me from depression. My character becoming a devious poet does not affect my strategy, and I don't care if my character is a pious dude because I don't know the game enough to get a Saint out of that. I know the game enough to go from OPM to a strongest empire in the world and it don't seem to be enough to actually enjoy the game. My wife doesn't care much about efficiency, plays it like a dollhouse and seem to have a much better time with it.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Gantolandon posted:

I don't understand the logic of charging a full amount of money for an unfinished product and putting a finished one later in the bargain bin.

It's not about logic. It's about us not being able to reliably pass the zephyr test.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

poo poo like mission trees, national ideas and gameplay styles that favour some nations more than others is flavour, not just random events. Imperator has none of this, there are a handful of government types and even they play in an extremely similar way with basically no direction beside eating everyone nearby.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1147168534134497280?s=19

So how is the 1.2 beta shaping up? Reddit seems uncharacteristically positive for once.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1147168534134497280?s=19

So how is the 1.2 beta shaping up? Reddit seems uncharacteristically positive for once.

First impression is really good to be honest. There are some small bugs, but nothing game breaking.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'm currently making the entire population of south Italy swarm into my glorious capital city :getin:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Note there are also 1.2 mods already. Icon fix is a must, I think. There are also bugfixes.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Playing this version had generated 8 Gb on my system disk and ate almost all free space there. Huh. Maybe I shouldn't have those bugfixing mods?..

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Haven't played in a while and decided to give it another go this weekend, got into my head to get a Gadir game going. After 6 restarts I finally get it off the ground without Carthage murdering my tiny rear end and in fact had almost catched up! Started a war against 3 smaller iberian tribes(later joined by a forth) and the largest war in that campaign started! It took a while but we where juuuust about to tip the scales into our favor, when the game decided to remind me that volcanoes exists in spain by blowing one off in the middle of my empire :v:

An emergency peace deal later and it's time for a break before I start to untangle the mess that is my economy now!

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
One thing I like about this game is that I get the feeling I'mreally improving in playstyle and that I can see multiple things in which I can still improve, like when to interact with characters in other countries and how to set up my armies. It seems to me the optimal play in imperator rome is more difficult than in EU IV, i.e. there are much more things you can do to get ahead.

Last game I tried going for the "conquer everything Alexander did" as Thrace and failed, but after doing it I have the impression my failure has a lot to do with me not using all tricks at my disposal and suboptimal target selection/strategy.

By the way, does anyone have a good link to an explanation of the strength and weaknesses of the different army types? In particular I'm wondering when to use steppe horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Steppe horses are amazing and you should use them basically all the time unless you have lots of bonuses to HI from your military traditions, though you will want some way of dealing with light cav.