Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

polyester concept posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a very small and compact camera bag/sling that can hold a mirrorless camera and not much else? I want something I can wear on my bike that doesn't flop around when I am riding, so it would need to be snug against my body.

Edit: something like the thinktank turnstyle 5 v2 sling bag. open to other options though

Which camera? Mirrorless cameras run quite a size range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

x-t2 with the 27mm pancake

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ShadeofBlue posted:

The only one I've really enjoyed using is Nikon's last 500mm one. It has a super long focus throw (more than a full rotation), so you can actually fine tune the focus like you need to. It's pretty expensive for a mirror lens, unfortunately.

This one?

Thanks for shedding some light on these lenses, chums. I still might pull the trigger on one as a novelty, but man that bokeh sure is weird.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

polyester concept posted:

x-t2 with the 27mm pancake

If this is just for your bike, would a head bag not be sufficient? Or a wedge bag?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

This one?

Thanks for shedding some light on these lenses, chums. I still might pull the trigger on one as a novelty, but man that bokeh sure is weird.

Gotta be a bit careful, there's multiple types in the search you linked. It's the one with an orange ring and a tripod mount. My parents have one, you can take good photos with it, but it does take a lot of practice, and it won't quite match a "real" telephoto in quality. Basically, it's about as good as you would expect from a 500mm lens that costs around a third (I think?) of what a consumer 500mm zoom does, when you get the focus right.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

This one?

I'm quite in love with it, and don't really get the hate for the donut bokeh. I think like any other lens it has its advantages and disadvantages and when used properly you can get some phenomenal shots out of it that really stand out from the rest of the field.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I didn't get the hate for the donut bokeh either until I saw that last image.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

:negative:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
And nope. Wow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That pole vault shot is super rad though.

I guess that shot would be great with any lens but the bokeh gives it a really unique trippy effect.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ShadeofBlue posted:

Gotta be a bit careful, there's multiple types in the search you linked. It's the one with an orange ring and a tripod mount.

Oops! I thought the link I had copied was to this guy. Sorry to keep bringing it up - actually no, I'm glad I did, because those pic examples Grimson posted are simultaneously great and horrendous examples of how these lenses shoot, and thanks to this thread I learned about catch-in focus... So I might actually pull the trigger on one soon, just as a learning tool and maybe a bit of a cheap toy lens. Forgive me, which lens are you talking about? I'm mostly only seeing Nikon-compatible ones with red rings in that list.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 29, 2019

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

The one I’m talking about is this one: https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/reflex/500mm.htm

I don’t have any experience with the one you linked, it might also be fine. It will probably be harder to get precise focus with it though.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So to reiterate, you didn't mind it so much because it had a really long focus throw - am I correct in saying "kind of like cinema glass" - so you can make finer adjustments more easily?

Thanks again. A fool and his money are soon parted, but for now I borrowed my Mom's 70-300 and stuck it to my FTZ adaptor. Still gotta take it outside, but the couple of test shots I've taken in my apartment came back really loving dark, even with (what I figure are) appropriate settings.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I need tripod legs for running some backyard testing.

Less than $400 on the used market so that should open up a lot of options. Prefer metal legs. Sturdier the better. I'm going to put super long lenses on it so I need it to be as rigid as possible and resist vibrations. Weight not really an issue so it can be on the heavy side. If it has a lot of points to hang sandbags even better. Don't need much height, will probably run most setups at chest level or lower.

e: actually I think I might get an astro tripod

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1353469-REG/ioptron_7121acc_zeq25_cem25_1_5_tripod_with.html

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 3, 2019

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Is there a recommended entry-level (<$500) bellows (and whatever else is needed) that has tilt shift capabilities? It does not have to be light/compact, but it should work with a Sony E-mount.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
https://www.cambo.com/en/actus-series/actus-b-mini-view-camera/

I mean it's a grand UK but I'm not sure if that's cheap or not.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does that have adapters for cheap GX680 lenses? And/or hack up a GX680 body into a modern digital technical.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

https://www.cambo.com/en/actus-series/actus-b-mini-view-camera/

I mean it's a grand UK but I'm not sure if that's cheap or not.

I'm looking for something <$500.

Edit: Or is that a hilariously low budget?

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 4, 2019

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

theHUNGERian posted:

yeah I dunno either.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

theHUNGERian posted:

Is there a recommended entry-level (<$500) bellows (and whatever else is needed) that has tilt shift capabilities? It does not have to be light/compact, but it should work with a Sony E-mount.

The cheapest one-stop-shop is going to be one of the Fotodiox Pro "TLT ROKR" adapters, and most likely a medium-format lens to stick on the end for the bigger coverage. They won't be a Cadillac solution like the Novoflex or Cambo setups, but they'll work.

If you need the extreme macro coverage that a bellows can give (and not just a light-tight connector), I've also seen this jury-rigged with a Nikon PB-4 macro bellows and a daisy chain of adapters, but this starts being extremely limited in its use cases very quickly. Depends what you want.

e: I have to say, Fotodiox standard line stuff is hit-or-miss sometimes, but I have a deep love for their "Pro" line. Their quality is surprisingly good and they will make adapters for just about any batshit weird idea they can get their hands on.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 4, 2019

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

So to reiterate, you didn't mind it so much because it had a really long focus throw - am I correct in saying "kind of like cinema glass" - so you can make finer adjustments more easily?

Thanks again. A fool and his money are soon parted, but for now I borrowed my Mom's 70-300 and stuck it to my FTZ adaptor. Still gotta take it outside, but the couple of test shots I've taken in my apartment came back really loving dark, even with (what I figure are) appropriate settings.

I've never used cinema glass, but that sounds right :).

It's definitely a good idea to try out the 70-300 first. Any mirror lens will be darker and harder to use. Neither the 70-300 or any mirror lens is an indoor lens. They are all outdoor in bright sun kind of lenses.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ShadeofBlue posted:

It's definitely a good idea to try out the 70-300 first. Any mirror lens will be darker and harder to use. Neither the 70-300 or any mirror lens is an indoor lens. They are all outdoor in bright sun kind of lenses.

Yeah, one of the things I forgot having not taken pictures in a long-rear end time is that the indoors might look bright to your eyes but it's actually far from it from the camera's perspective. I took the 70-300 out on Canada Day and got some pretty decent shots in the park, including this one of this cute doggo from probably 50 feet away - I've always been a stickler for shot composition and this one just sort of happened:

Let's talk cheap DIY waterproofing: I'm going on a trip to the Toronto Islands on Tuesday and some friends want to wade through the water to get to something of a secret spot to hang out. I might just bite the bullet and rent a canoe (been wanting to do that for some time actually) but either way I want to protect my gear during transportation. Should I just put it in a garbage bag, or is there a better option?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Go to an outdoor store like REI or whatever the Canadian equivalent is and get a dry bag.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I used a double zip lock bag for my old point and shoot. When I needed more protection I took my waterproof Olympus Tough TG-5.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

Go to an outdoor store like REI or whatever the Canadian equivalent is and get a dry bag.

This. Go to Mountain Equipment Co-op (literally the Canadian equivalent of REI, the founders of MEC started out importing REI stuff in bulk) and buy a dry bag. Get a relatively sturdy one, with thicker material - I put my camera in a small dry bag on canoe trips so it can sit on top of my gear and I can reach it quickly - and I've gone through a few bags. Duct tape only works to patch up the pinholes and tiny rips for a little while. The MEC house brand is OK, as long as you go with the heavy-duty bags, or the equivalents from Seal-Line.

Wading through Lake Ontario sounds less fun than paddling, rent that canoe and put your drybag-encased camera in it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
This thing is hilariously heavy. It's heavier than my Tair 300mm MF lens. In fact it's heavier than pretty much any camera that I own.

IMG_0185.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

theHUNGERian posted:

Old retired guys who run technical cameras usually don't have a restriction like that. That's the market you're dealing with unless you want to go into DIY.

https://alphauniverse.com/stories/make-a-mirrorless-camera-into-a-digital-view-camera/

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Old retired guys who run technical cameras usually don't have a restriction like that. That's the market you're dealing with unless you want to go into DIY.

https://alphauniverse.com/stories/make-a-mirrorless-camera-into-a-digital-view-camera/

After some extensive reading, I've decided to put the idea on hold for now. If I run into $$$, I'll buy a second-hand Canon TS-E 24mm MKII and adapt it to the Sony. Lots of happy user reports.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Can I do better than the Nikon D3500 to get started?

Seeing some good price kits on Amazon.

I'd also be willing to spend the extra money on a d5600 and a lens if that's gonna be a better option.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 10, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Never overlook second hand gear marked as being in good condition, without silly amounts of shutter use. I did buy my body new, but all my lenses were second hand or a single one that had a ton of discounts on it.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
From an image quality for the price standpoint it is pretty good, but I wouldn't buy a crop sensor nikon. There aren't a lot of affordable crop nikon lenses. I sold my d5600, mostly for that reason.

Whatever you choose look into used or refurbished options.

If you are looking at APSC Fuji is probably a better system to buy into. Sony APSC are still popular too, and has more third party lens options available.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Deviant posted:

Can I do better than the Nikon D3500 to get started?

Seeing some good price kits on Amazon.

I'd also be willing to spend the extra money on a d5600 and a lens if that's gonna be a better option.

You can find a good D7000 body on ebay for half the price of the 3500. Is it an older model camera? Yes. Is it still better than the 3500? Also yes.

Used Nikon Lenses are usually pretty good value too: You'll even see them listed fairly often in this thread.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
If you do go that route watch out for lens compatibility. Lens with screw drive auto focus won't work on the d3000/d5000 series and af-p lenses won't work on older bodies like the d7000.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Fools Infinite posted:

If you do go that route watch out for lens compatibility. Lens with screw drive auto focus won't work on the d3000/d5000 series and af-p lenses won't work on older bodies like the d7000.

This is a good point. Are there any good AF-P lenses though?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Not really. But the 10-20mm is pretty much the only crop wide angle option from Nikon. Sigma makes something similar I think.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

XBenedict posted:

This is a good point. Are there any good AF-P lenses though?

For budget the AF-P 70-300 dx is pretty great. Other than that though the older AF-S are usually 95% as good for often 50-75% of the price.

Fools Infinite posted:

Not really. But the 10-20mm is pretty much the only crop wide angle option from Nikon. Sigma makes something similar I think.

Sigma and tamron both have 2 lenses for dx in that category. All 4 are better than the nikon AF-P 10-20mm which is ok considering how cheap it is.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 11, 2019

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've currently got a Tamron 70-300 4.5-5.6 lens as my only telephoto. I'm interested in doing more macro and portraiture and it sounds like the Sigma 105 2.8 is a solid choice. Any opinions?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
You may find it a little long for shooting portraits on a crop body, especially indoor, so give it a try on your zoom.

If you are planning mostly macro and posing subjects there are a lot of good older, manual focus options available.

Also if you aren't planning on buying used, you could consider a refurbished one from the sigma outlet.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Fools Infinite posted:

If you are planning mostly macro and posing subjects there are a lot of good older, manual focus options available.

I know I am in the minority here, but I sure appreciate AF on a macro lens. Critters move around and the DOF can be super shallow. Focusing by moving my body back and forth is not always convenient as some critters are easily scared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Yeah, for smaller magnifications, taking photos of larger critters like butterflies, dragonflies and flowers, AF is invaluable.

One thing I found out about using old MF macro lenses and reversing lenses etc is that you set you set your aperture before taking the shot. This means less light, if using OVF your view gets dimmer, if using mirrorless your viewfinder may slow down refresh rate if it gets really dark. And worst of all, increased DOF from smaller aperture means it's harder to see where exactly the focus plane is, compared to, for example, Canon setup where aperture is kept open until shutter is pressed.