Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DalaranJ posted:

-Blitz Talk-
I'm kind of a idiot but just to double check, I can include enemies off the list as long as the enemies you listed are "featured" right? Same with power ups?

If so I can do it just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Did the 30 minute blitz. Rolled desert theme, using enemies and arrows with the rest forbidden.

Don't know if coins are fine but the level seemed barren and kinda bad with just hills, buildings, and enemies, so I added them for flavor. Don't want to screw anyone over playing Endless or whatever.

Name: Deserted Desert

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Caithness posted:

It's possible for the 3rd one (and maybe others) to hit the P switch but not actually fall down the hole, breaking the story continuity.

It's possible for all of them, but I couldn't figure out any other way to do it, so I'm just hoping people hug the wall to be sure.

Also thanks for the comment on the other stage, I totally missed that you could just get stuck there!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Random Stranger posted:

It's time for more jam levels.

Jungle Jinks
5YG-FPM-PMF
By: The Lobster

Nice level design but it's about as hard as a world one Mario level. An early world one Mario level. For my tastes I need a lot more challenge than this. Also, as a jam level for a "Try Switch" theme, there was no switch of any kind.

If you check the spreadsheet I went a bit more esoteric with my interpretation of what "Try Switch" meant. I made that level on a ten hour car ride whenever I wasn't driving - a good example of why you should try the Switch. As for the difficulty I mean, not everything has to be kaizo hard. :shrug:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Didn't make it in quite under an hour, but here's "100% chance of cephalopods"

Q7C-C7X-C0G

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm kind of a idiot but just to double check, I can include enemies off the list as long as the enemies you listed are "featured" right? Same with power ups?

If so I can do it just fine.

Yes.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

There used to be a goon widget for the first MM that spat out a level theme, a couple of terrain features, a gizmo, and an enemy to use in your level. It was a really cool little widget and I think we could do with that remade for MM2 with added features like night/day and clear condition. I love just making levels but sometimes it's nice to have a bit of guidance because I know I made some levels that I otherwise never would have made using that previous widget and they were some of my best. In fact that widget was what initially taught me to limit myself to only a few course elements at a time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've yet to see a map tagged multiplayer versus that was actually good for versus. More often than not they contain tons of elements that are loving awful in versus.

Do people really not get that boss fights with keys slow everyone down to the same drat spot?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

It's time for a trial Blitz run. Blitz 0.

Okay, it's my Blitz Naught entry,

My rolls 1,5 so Sky theme, clouds as my brick (convenient), mushroom power up. No bloopers, beetles, or arrows allowed.

I decided on one hour as my build time.

Here is is:

Wreckage Re-Entry
65J-N1K-3FF

So, this needs a lot of iteration, testing, and refinement. I think you can tell from how sloppy the coin trails are.

A tip: you can steal the logos from the Mushroom Kingdom space program in the opening section and you might find it useful.

Regarding the requirements, you may be asking, "Where are the mushrooms and clouds?" and to that I reply, "Who do you think is playing the music?"

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 4, 2019

yrmr
May 2, 2015
Made some new levels:

Jungle Vine Climb - Climb vines through a Piranha Plan infested jungle.
5MR-4MX-F5G

Switchshell Underground - Weekly jam entry. Jump past conveyor belts, shells, and switches. Has some light puzzle elements.
BF7-JXN-LLF

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
Made a level using the Cranes and flowing lava in the game, I tried to make this one harder than my past ones (I stink at precision jumps so it took me so long to clear, I also learned that when clearing a level with a check point for upload you have to beat it first without the checkpoint in use.....)

Hang in There: DBF-B3W-SXF

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I made a new level but decided if I'm going to post levels, I need to be better about trying other people's levels off of the randomized spread sheet from the first page. https://randomactsofmario.com/

DH 1-1 By: Dieting Hippo
9CJ-9N5-LMF
This level was a lot of fun, I like a slightly harder version of the first level. It started to get a bit hectic at the end with the Koopa Troopas. I'm amazed at the clear rate on this level.

Duel on the Bridge By: Svdl
F9J-VLB-JSG
A lot going on in this level. A brief bit of platforming. At the start I thought I was going to have to chain cannon ball jump to go up and felt like an idiot when I realized the lower one was just barely in my jump range. Enjoyed the use of check points. The little bit after the duel was unexpected but cool.

Spooky Night, Holy Light By: SamFausr
9CX-9Y1-WSG
I played a good chunk of this level without realizing you can briefly light up the room by crouching. I hated it for all the blind jumps before I realized that. After it became a better level, difficult but fair. Right before the first checkpoint, I was getting mad about lack of check points. Great timing on that one.

Buzzy Buddies By: someone awful.
WGH-G8K-XDF
This game reminds me of auto scrollers from Mario 3. In a normal game, it'd be a fun change of pace level you could play for an alternate map route. Nice and relaxing level.

See the Saws By: Cheetah7071
GVL-H6F-T8G
Loved this level, especially once the underground Thwomp bit started. The end was a little mean but also hilarious.

Perilous Pipes By: The Lobster
00M-D0Q-WJF
This level was great, loved the aesthetics. At one point I wanted to try to bounce across the first section just on goombas but gave up after a few attempts. One bold attempt had be trying to bring the Koopa Troopa shell along. He woke up and that will probably be the highest death that has happened on that level.

I decided to try another attempt at a multiplayer themed level. I wish they would make it easier to play local multiplayer.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 4, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Did the 30 minute blitz. Rolled desert theme, using enemies and arrows with the rest forbidden.

Don't know if coins are fine but the level seemed barren and kinda bad with just hills, buildings, and enemies, so I added them for flavor. Don't want to screw anyone over playing Endless or whatever.

Name: Deserted Desert

I appreciate your strict adherence to just the theme, but it does leave things feeling really empty.

DalaranJ posted:

Didn't make it in quite under an hour, but here's "100% chance of cephalopods"

Q7C-C7X-C0G

Bloopers with parachutes are the cutest things ever.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Some goon level reviews!

Bombs in the Clouds by nrook
KFR-K84-X0H

I liked this one. Using the flying cannons as both lofts and obstacles was a good idea, and it was fun to use them as stepping stones to secrets above. It's nice that you didn't punish people for falling, but I kept catching glimpses of the ? blocks containing vines and jumping down there in search of powerups and secrets.

The Last Shack on the Left by E.G.G.S.
KMD-8TT-PYG

The second, dark area is a pretty good example of something that's a lot easier for the creator than for a new player. It seems like death is all but guaranteed on the first try or two, because it's not clear where to go in the darkness, and the autoscroll doesn't give the player any time to swing around and probe the limits of their little light sphere. Once you know the locations of the claws, you can blast right through it without a problem, but learning those locations costs you a couple of lives and the level doesn't give you any 1UPs to make up for it.

Don't Switch the Switch! by Mega64
DLY-J79-LXG

Took a lot of tries, since it's a puzzle level that kills you immediately if you don't solve the puzzle in time, but it was a great idea, with a variety of puzzles sharing a consistent theme, and kept me engaged enough to keep trying until I won.

Airship Rumble! by Chronojam
PK6-XLJ-4BG

The part right around the checkpoint is really painful. If you respawn from the checkpoint, you have to backtrack to get the key again, and you have to go through a mole-spewing pipe to continue, where grabbing the powerup actually makes it worse since you have to chase the mushroom right into the swarm of moles.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Dbhjed posted:

Made a level using the Cranes and flowing lava in the game, I tried to make this one harder than my past ones (I stink at precision jumps so it took me so long to clear, I also learned that when clearing a level with a check point for upload you have to beat it first without the checkpoint in use.....)

Hang in There: DBF-B3W-SXF

Good stuff! Fun concept and I feel like you iterated on it well as the level progressed. The dry bones in the second half were trolly as hell but I'm also just kind of bad at the cranes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Please provide feedback and the format of the blitz, should some of the items be removed from the random pull (like I don't know, Arrow Sign?), should everyone get enemies as required, should forbidden be removed?

The concept of forbidding things is good, but with a large palette just forbidding one thing isn't great.

Maybe if for enemies and devices it was three or four things that were the only ones a player could use or were verboten it would feel more structured.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I am hit with instant inspiration for what I rolled on my Blitz stage. I hope it plays good cause I gotta go fast when I start :buddy:

Also yeah just banning one thing is kinda weak. I see that I can't use cloud platforms and just "ah, guess I'll just use some semi-solids instead". Only thing I'm stuck on is how to use mushrooms but... I think I have a way. God I'm excited to see if my idea works as well as I hope.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Spacebump posted:

Perilous Pipes By: The Lobster
00M-D0Q-WJF
This level was great, loved the aesthetics. At one point I wanted to try to bounce across the first section just on goombas but gave up after a few attempts. One bold attempt had be trying to bring the Koopa Troopa shell along. He woke up and that will probably be the highest death that has happened on that level.

I decided to try another attempt at a multiplayer themed level. I wish they would make it easier to play local multiplayer.

Thanks for your review! I was just dicking around when I made this one and I stumbled across that aesthetic and decided it was really great. It took me quite a while to clear but that was actually because my cycles were off. Once I fixed them it still took me a solid 45 minutes, haha. You have to clear it without using the checkpoint first. It was a fun level to make!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I am hit with instant inspiration for what I rolled on my Blitz stage. I hope it plays good cause I gotta go fast when I start :buddy:

Also yeah just banning one thing is kinda weak. I see that I can't use cloud platforms and just "ah, guess I'll just use some semi-solids instead". Only thing I'm stuck on is how to use mushrooms but... I think I have a way. God I'm excited to see if my idea works as well as I hope.

Where is everyone rolling these Blitz stages?

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 4, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Lobster posted:

random.org . It's easier than going over to my closet to get out some dice.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
hi this is my first level please tell me how bad it is

VH0-GGH-84G

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Macaluso posted:

gently caress the item limit goddamn. It's so fuckin restrictive in terms of decorating

Yeah it can be real rough, but just know that some people really appreciate your efforts in making a stage look nice :)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Lobster posted:

DalaranJ posted:

It's time for a trial Blitz run. Blitz 0.

Here's how it works. You need a six sided die.

Roll once to get a theme.
Roll again to get required and forbidden items.
If you don't like what you got, cheat because no one can see what you rolled.

You can use whatever you want within the theme and options you got. This time we rolled buzzy beetle so you can use shelmets, para-beetles, etc...

Once you get your items and theme decide whether you want to spend 30 minutes (cheetah speed), 1 hour (rabbit speed), or 2 hours (turtle speed) making your course. Try to complete and upload your course in the time limit. (This means you need to make it easy enough that you can beat it in one try usually.)

Here we go:

Theme
1-2:Underground
3-4:Desert.....
5-6:Sky........

Items,
Block: Cloud
Powerup: Super Mushroom
Enemies: Blooper and/or Buzzy Beetle
Gizmo: Arrow Sign

1:Required:Block and Powerup, Forbidden:Enemies and Gizmo
2:Required:Block and Enemies, Forbidden:Powerup and Gizmo
3:Required:Block and Gizmo, Forbidden:Powerup and Enemies
4:Required:Powerup and Enemies, Forbidden:Block and Gizmo
5:Required:Powerup and Gizmo, Forbidden:Block and Enemies
6:Required:Enemies and Gizmo, Forbidden:Block and Powerup

Please provide feedback and the format of the blitz, should some of the items be removed from the random pull (like I don't know, Arrow Sign?), should everyone get enemies as required, should forbidden be removed?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I made a level about Space Shoes

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

SaberToothedPie posted:

hi this is my first level please tell me how bad it is

VH0-GGH-84G

It's hardly the worst level I've played today. Be careful with vertical camera scrolling. I bounced after some of those big coins and then had no idea where to land so I ended up falling into a pit.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

So I generated SMB3, Desert, Night, Steep Slopes, Ice Blocks, Spinies, and Bumpers. Christ. Welp! I'll work on that once I'm back from the family thing.

OK, saw the post about the Blitz once it was quoted. My second enemy is Muncher, my powerup is the Invincibility Star (... OK then). My forbidden items are Cheep-cheep and the checkpoint flag... Oh dear.

More clear:

Style: SMB3
Theme: Desert
Day/Night: Night
Terrain: Steep Slopes, Ice Blocks
Enemies: Spiny, Muncher
Gizmo: Bumper
Power Up: Invincibility Star
Forbidden: Cheep-cheep, Checkpoint flag

There used to be a widget that did this. Btw, my level is going to be a hot mess.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 4, 2019

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Sorry, that was a temporary link, this one should be Permanent: https://discord.gg/s4udY8T

Also, new level: Serial Experiments Boom Boom BT7-CT7-LYF
I was playing around with Boom Booms, so this level is bad. For people who like bad levels.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Sorry to Whoever runs the spreadsheet, I deleted and re did my old course #383 - Misfire Marsh 1, it is now Misfire Mire and then I hosed up re submitting it, the code is V7N QQL 7JF.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Boom Boom's Fortress
27S-180-YNF
This one is a vertically-oriented level with a focus on sawblades, thwomps, and spikes. It's relatively short, and not too difficult. There's a checkpoint right before a section that might be tricky for some.
Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
This is my first sky level, I’ve mostly stuck to designing castles and airships and wanted to branch out a bit. It’s all about blinking blocks! Since this is my first sky level I’d definitely appreciate feedback, I honestly can’t tell if it’s too easy or kind of bullshit.

https://twitter.com/pkfortis/status/1146874758123810816

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
Here is a review from me:

I went to pick a random one from the list and got Pixeltendo's 1-3 Thwomp Tromp well I liked it so much I had to see what else he made well an hour later, I've played all your levels and they are amazing! I actually had my wife play them as well and she thought the same thing. Some levels were harder than others, but themes were on point and none seem too difficult.

My favorite ones were:

1-3 Thwomp Tromp - MQK-LMW-W8G: The theming the was on point, I enjoyed the land of the Thwomps and the different ways they were used in the levels
2-1 Shred end- 997-KJN-TSG: This was another one that had great theming and the right amount of difficulty.

Ones that were eh:

2-4 Race Space - M8X-14B-V6G: I understand this one was for multiplayer but it has too many extra noises and went by way to fast.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My blitz theme was desert with mushrooms and clouds. So I made

SA Blitz Jam: Flip the Shroom
DN8-KCV-0KF

I didn't quite hit the half-hour cheetah speed (despite my username...) but I hit the hour timer with plenty to spare. Level should be fairly easy because it doesn't kill you when you screw up (...usually). The idea could be made into a very trollish kaizo stage but this one just did the most basic ideas with it and didn't go for anything tricky.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

My second level: Snowpeak Descent! Slide down the snowy peaks and investigate the ice caverns. L72-QWS-2JG.

As before, any feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially regarding difficulty. I'd like the difficulty of my levels to be similar to mid-game SMB3 levels, and I don't want anything that feels cheap.

I'm looking forward to playing more of the ones you all have posted too. Keep up the great work!

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I was tinkering around, experimenting with fast movement platforms, realized I was making a sucky auto level and tried to salvage it.
Man, it really sucks when you draw some cool ideas on paper and they turn out to not work as intended.

This one's hella short and features conveyor belt and claw mechanics (SMB3, Snow):

N4J-V3L-VJG

Anyways, I've been working on a larger vertical level the last couple days now but I can't decide on a name.
I'm thinking either 'Mounting Madness', ' Antarctic Ascent', or 'Shoggoth Summit'. Something along those lines.
You can probably guess the theme. Any ideas?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Right, one-hour blitz course. Upload finished with twelve seconds on the clock.

https://twitter.com/tayter_swift/status/1146884121852911616?s=21
Air Power
XBM-F6Y-4RG

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

DorianGravy posted:

My second level: Snowpeak Descent! Slide down the snowy peaks and investigate the ice caverns. L72-QWS-2JG.

As before, any feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially regarding difficulty. I'd like the difficulty of my levels to be similar to mid-game SMB3 levels, and I don't want anything that feels cheap.

I'm looking forward to playing more of the ones you all have posted too. Keep up the great work!

You nailed the difficulty you were going for. Good job on this one!

Avirosb posted:

I was tinkering around, experimenting with fast movement platforms, realized I was making a sucky auto level and tried to salvage it.
Man, it really sucks when you draw some cool ideas on paper and they turn out to not work as intended.

This one's hella short and features conveyor belt and claw mechanics (SMB3, Snow):

N4J-V3L-VJG
I'm not entirely sure I solved this in the intended way but solve it I did.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

The Lobster posted:

Style: SMB3
Theme: Desert
Day/Night: Night
Terrain: Steep Slopes, Ice Blocks
Enemies: Spiny, Muncher
Gizmo: Bumper
Power Up: Invincibility Star
Forbidden: Cheep-cheep, Checkpoint flag

Finished in 30 minutes or less!

Edit: Made a minor edit, now it's: BT9-2JY-0KF.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 4, 2019

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

DorianGravy posted:

Very nice level. Very forgiving. I downloaded it for what that's worth.

cheetah7071 posted:

My blitz theme was desert with mushrooms and clouds. So I made

SA Blitz Jam: Flip the Shroom
DN8-KCV-0KF

Good concept. Just the right length IMO.
I can't belive my dumb rear end got stuck AFTER reading the description :psyduck:

Fortis posted:

This is my first sky level, I’ve mostly stuck to designing castles and airships and wanted to branch out a bit. It’s all about blinking blocks! Since this is my first sky level I’d definitely appreciate feedback, I honestly can’t tell if it’s too easy or kind of bullshit.

I wouldn't call it difficult (though I did manage to die twice) but the first half has a lot of waiting for things to happen.
It makes it easier to become reckless and make dumb mistakes. Skipping every other platform did help however.
The second half was much better. And the section near the goalpost got me good, I didn't know there was a floor there.
Thought I wasn't gonna make it.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

J-Spot posted:

You nailed the difficulty you were going for. Good job on this one!

I'm not entirely sure I solved this in the intended way but solve it I did.

People solving my levels in unexpected ways is a lot preferable to them getting soft-locked or stuck :)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Still reeling from Nintendo’s decision to put low gravity in a style with no outer space themed assets. I’ll figure it out somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Here's my Blitz Level. I'm really happy with it!!! (40 minutes or so, wish I could of decorated it more)

Palace of the Para-Beetle