Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Vermain posted:

Ishikawa really refined her craft between the two stories, to the point that I was genuinely surprised to find that she was the lead writer on both of them when I went to check. Yoshida's got a real talent for picking up diamonds in the rough.

She and Oda are a really good narrative team. If you haven't already read them, the interviews with the two of 'em are rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

There's more dogs out there to be drawn.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1146889263742705674

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
B͐ͭ͐L̈̆̊O͌̃ͯO͊ͨ̅D̙͑̌ ̳̭̻F̧̞̈́O͗̄͐R̾̊͆ ͕̱͜T̈ͬ̇Ȟͥ̌E̜̳͠ ҉̞̠̫B͑̂͑L͋͌ͣÕ͕ͨO̽͐͠D̆͐͗ ͛̊̽G̪͌O̝͖̟D̬̫̾

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

why did nobody tell me warriors got a hammer too.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've spent the last days going through the Ivalice storyline and I just did the Orbonne Monastery and uh, holy poo poo :stare: that final boss was wild

my favorite fight was the Thunder God though, I loved how you could tell what he was gonna do based on his stance

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Your Computer posted:

I've spent the last days going through the Ivalice storyline and I just did the Orbonne Monastery and uh, holy poo poo :stare: that final boss was wild

my favorite fight was the Thunder God though, I loved how you could tell what he was gonna do based on his stance

The voice lines and -acting in that fight are real good too.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh man, I'm in the middle of the level 77 cutscenes after revisiting one of the early expac zones, and that's one of the best lines I've seen in this game.

"Since all of our heroes have gone, we must make heroes of ourselves."

The writing in this expansion is so goddamn good, while being simultaneously uplifting and depressing as poo poo.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i'm convinced hrothgar are either going to look like disney cartoons or edgelords, ive never seen one in between

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
Two dumb questions:

1. is ACT "safe"? I don't remember needing to open my firewall to use it with EQ2, and this makes me worry.

2. A few pages ago someone listed easy melee classes, but dragoon and bard were not on that list. Does the rotation for these classes get difficult to manage at higher levels, or are they just bad jobs now? Still trying to decide if I want to continue leveling as a dragoon, or switch to bard, or maybe red mage. Bard seems simple at level 30...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bard isn't a melee class, for one :v:

But I generally find it not that hard.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Eccles posted:

Two dumb questions:

1. is ACT "safe"? I don't remember needing to open my firewall to use it with EQ2, and this makes me worry.

2. A few pages ago someone listed easy melee classes, but dragoon and bard were not on that list. Does the rotation for these classes get difficult to manage at higher levels, or are they just bad jobs now? Still trying to decide if I want to continue leveling as a dragoon, or switch to bard, or maybe red mage. Bard seems simple at level 30...

Bard just isn't melee. Dragoon starts having a couple positionals, a DoT and two buffs to maintain, and a couple cooldowns to use.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
ACT is safe just dont talk about it in-game and no one cares

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kanfy posted:

The voice lines and -acting in that fight are real good too.

Open your eyes to the darkness, and drown in its loveless embrace. The gods will not be watching.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
maybe it's just me but I feel like melee jobs are also just inherently harder than ranged ones because you're right in the middle of everything, which makes targeting and positioning more difficult

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What should I spend yellow crafter scrips on now? I'm capped out. I don't need the Engineering Manuals because I already bought some and the facet quests give more than I could ever need.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Jesus I know I picked a bad time to start but come on. Excalibur is never up for character creation and the other Primal servers stay occupied too at all hours of the day.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Vargatron posted:

Ran'jit? I'm sorry, you must mean Master Asia.

I was about halfway through the MSQ when I realized who he reminded me of, and that I had been subconsciously waiting for him to start yelling about being the undefeated of the east.

And hey, (very very final MSQ spoilers) we even got a Shining Finger Axe moment this expansion!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Just caught up on this thread after ignoring it for fear of spoilers. Shb is the high point of this game so far.

Someone a few pages back was asking what the least button intense job is, as well as one of the easiest and it's dancer by a mile. Not even RDM is this easy and my dnc bars look virtually empty.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Eccles posted:

Disclaimer: all of this is at 80, and not necessarily applicable until then. If you're interested in DRG and want to talk about how it works at any given level before 80 (or have any questions about any of the 80 stuff), PM me or message me on discord, I'm Zack Ater#7985.

In terms of sequence of GCD buttons, DRG is stupid easy. You have two five button long combos (and they both start with the same button, and end on the same two buttons but flipped - one ends with 4->5, the other ends with 5->4 - so it's only a total of seven distinct buttons.) For single target, you just alternate between the two combos. If there are two targets, you just keep using the first combo on both targets, switching back and forth between them. If you have three or more targets, you have a three button long line AoE combo.

There are, however, some positionals. Two are from the rear, one is from the side; hitting the right positional gives you an extra 40 potency on the attack, except the very end of either combo is now worth an extra 80 potency instead of 40. I haven't spent much time on the balance any time recently, but according to a friend of mine who does, currently the difference between hitting all positionals and hitting no positionals is somewhere around 500 dps, out of about 11k-12k total dps. So it's not nothing, but it's insignificant enough that I'd say you shouldn't let it turn you off of the class. You also have a 10s buff every 45s that lets you count as hitting from the correct position regardless of where you actually hit from.

Most of your oGCDs aren't complex, you just hit them as soon as they come back off of cooldown. The real complexity comes from the dragon lasers and super dragon lasers you get at 60 and 70. And even that's just realizing that you can delay them in such a way that you don't lose any casts over the course of a fight but they line up with buffs better, which is a lot easier than it probably sounds.

It has plenty of optimization to consider for any specific fight, but I would argue it's pretty easy to be competent at.

And the new jump we got at 80 feels amazing.

Telum fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 5, 2019

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

What should I spend yellow crafter scrips on now? I'm capped out. I don't need the Engineering Manuals because I already bought some and the facet quests give more than I could ever need.
I would guess stocking up on VIIs would be the best.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh shoot, the music for the Level 80 postgame dungeon. It's an uptown jazz remix of the Ascian theme. :stare:

Vargatron posted:

Ran'jit? I'm sorry, you must mean Master Asia.

Truly he was the most anime character in this expac. I don't even know how he managed to keep teleporting wherever we were with frightening accuracy all the time. They don't even try to explain how he didn't die in the Temple of Doom, even though the fall was almost fatal to Y'shtola. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Oh shoot, the music for the Level 80 postgame dungeon. It's an uptown jazz remix of the Ascian theme. :stare:

Truly he was the most anime character in this expac. I don't even know how he managed to keep teleporting wherever we were with frightening accuracy all the time. They don't even try to explain how he didn't die in the Temple of Doom, even though the fall was almost fatal to Y'shtola. :allears:

I assume the dude's dragon rescued him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SL the Pyro posted:

B͐ͭ͐L̈̆̊O͌̃ͯO͊ͨ̅D̙͑̌ ̳̭̻F̧̞̈́O͗̄͐R̾̊͆ ͕̱͜T̈ͬ̇Ȟͥ̌E̜̳͠ ҉̞̠̫B͑̂͑L͋͌ͣÕ͕ͨO̽͐͠D̆͐͗ ͛̊̽G̪͌O̝͖̟D̬̫̾

This is easily the best WAR glam I've seen.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also Hrothgar are not Ronso. Here's how you can tell:

Ronso - have a horn

Hrothgar - HORNLESS! HORNLESS!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

He wall kicked like megaman up the shaft. He could jump hundreds of yalms, I'm sure recovering from a minor fall isn't hard.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ImpAtom posted:

I assume the dude's dragon rescued him.

Makes sense.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Zoig posted:

why did nobody tell me warriors got a hammer too.

Only been sperging about it every chance I get.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also Hrothgar are not Ronso. Here's how you can tell:

Ronso - have a horn

Hrothgar - HORNLESS! HORNLESS!

Some do have horns though?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Since people were talking about an Aether Linkshell on the last page, I'd just like to remind everyone on Crystal that we do have a shiny new cross-world linkshell! Since CWLS's are, uh, not as full-featured as Free Companies, you'll have to message one of the inviters so we can add you manually. I'm Estelle Auberlaint on Balmung or Headmistress Estelle#4324 on Discord, and Tanil Nelhah on Balmung/KarasuTengu#1460 on Discord can also add people at the moment. Alternately, post in the other servers channel on Catgirl Bargains. You can also reply in here of course, but annoyingly I usually have to send you a friend invite and then invite you to the LS by hand, which can only be done when both people are online, so a bit of hunting or organizing might be required then.

Not sure if I'm just not catching you folks on or if I'm mucking up the syntax for cross-world tells, but I'll be on for a few hours tonight. Could you toss an invite to Maeve Croi-dubh @ Malboro, please?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Fast, yeah, but not just mashing buttons on a whim.

SMN does kinda mash on a whim. you need certain buffs up at certain times to be optimal but mostly you're dumping your Egi Assaults wherever there's room to power up your other stuff / not waste the damage. This leads to an unfortunate situation where whenever you're not in in one of your burst phases your APM is higher than when you are.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Some do have horns though?
Do they? I swear I haven't noticed.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Eccles posted:

That’s a consequence of the way ACT works to read each game’s combat info: the EQ2 parser plug-in reads the game’s combat log text file as it’s updated, but for FFXIV the parser plugin needs access to the client process and/or the incoming network packets to get the same information. It only reads and does not modify anything, and the game doesn’t have any anti-cheat software, so it’s not detectable by anything on Square-Enix’s end. The only way you’ll get banned for using it is if you promote it in-game to other players or use it as a pretense to abuse other players for low DPS.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

Zack Ater posted:

helpful dragoon talk.

Thank you. Dragoon is fun at 56 and it sounds like it only gets better.

Now if I was only better at staying in melee range of my target :(

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ancient Kung Fu Masters are immune to dying off-screen so I was sure we'd see him again. That said, Urianger getting rid of him by using Rescue to yank him over a hole was :discourse:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I know nobody cares about noob goons but I finished my level 50 bard quest and am almost done the first set of MSQs and I'm feeling pretty good.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?
Anyone getting this error in ACT suddenly?

quote:

7/4/2019 5:20:58 PM: Info: Mini Parse: BrowserConsole: Uncaught TypeError: VALID_PLAYER_JOBS.includes is not a function (Source: https://cdn.ravenjs.com/3.17.0/raven.min.js, Line: 2)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
dragoons got super swole in this expansion. they keep hitting way above where they used to in the big dps pissing competition.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Berzerker posted:

I know nobody cares about noob goons but I finished my level 50 bard quest and am almost done the first set of MSQs and I'm feeling pretty good.
One of my favorite parts of this thread is new players posting about going through the game.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

SL the Pyro posted:

oh my god how do i get that beard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

AttackTheMoon posted:

oh my god how do i get that beard

that's not just a beard...

it's a hat *and* chestpiece!! (seriously the chestpiece is a cape shaped like a beard and it blows my mind)