Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Majorian posted:

"Invasion" is a pretty important word in the post you quoted.

I'm against a military intervention. I've stated this far too many times. I'm against the military, in general, I loving hate military rule. An invasion would result in disaster. Intervention refers to active action to force a transition plan out of Maduro, as opposed to waiting for him to step down which won't happen.

You don't seem to be interested in any action that would actually result in Maduro being removed from power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noshtane
Nov 22, 2007

The fish itself incites to deeds of hunger

Majorian posted:

Do you have evidence that those ~7000 extra infant deaths are due directly to Maduro's bad leadership, as opposed to poo poo like, I dunno, sanctions? Extra infant deaths tend to happen under those, you know.

You mean the sweeping 2019 sanctions where so powerful that they went back in time and killed thousands of of infants in 2017?
Or that the sanctions against a few select individuals in 2017 where so horrifying to investors that they went back to 2010 and pulled so much foreign capital that the positive trend in infant mortality turned bad and skyrocketed each subsequent year?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Noshtane posted:

You mean the sweeping 2019 sanctions where so powerful that they went back in time and killed thousands of of infants in 2017?
Or that the sanctions against a few select individuals in 2017 where so horrifying to investors that they went back to 2010 and pulled so much foreign capital that the positive trend in infant mortality turned bad and skyrocketed each subsequent year?

The 2017 sanctions have already been shown to be responsible for tens of thousands of deaths, and that's coming from Jeffrey "Shock Therapy is actually good" Sachs.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fnox posted:

I'm against a military intervention. I've stated this far too many times.

You also have stated that anything would be better than Maduro multiple times, and said that he's worse than murderous right-wing strongmen. That kind of signals that you'd be okay with an invasion.

quote:

You don't seem to be interested in any action that would actually result in Maduro being removed from power.

I've stated that a popular revolt to overthrow Maduro would be a good thing. That wasn't on the table with Guaido though.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Majorian posted:

The 2017 sanctions have already been shown to be responsible for tens of thousands of deaths, and that's coming from Jeffrey "Shock Therapy is actually good" Sachs.

That is according to Mark Weisbrot. You go one link deeper and you see it comes from the guy that said this.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Majorian posted:

I think you need to do a little basic research into each of those dictatorial regimes. Not all of the deaths caused by them took place in extermination camps. (in fact, most didn't!)

Do you have evidence that those ~7000 extra infant deaths are due directly to Maduro's bad leadership, as opposed to poo poo like, I dunno, sanctions? Extra infant deaths tend to happen under those, you know.

"Invasion" is a pretty important word in the post you quoted.

You really can’t blame deaths in 2017 on sanctions, as it was only in August of that year that the prohibition on purchases of Venezuelan bonds came into effect, which were the first sanctions for which we were plausibly able to attribute an economic effect. It then would have taken some months for that effect to manifest.

I don’t know why you would bring up Trujillo if you don’t want to talk about genocide. His rule is actually remembered fondly by a surprising number of Dominicans for its steady and good economic growth. He doesn’t really deserve credit for it but at least he didn’t muck it up completely.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 4, 2019

Noshtane
Nov 22, 2007

Majorian posted:

Care to summarize to how sanctions against individuals cause widespread starvation and shortages of basically everything? Or link the report? Because someone wrote it in a report doesn't automatically make it the one and only truth, or I won't accept it as such until I've actually read it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fnox posted:

That is according to Mark Weisbrot. You go one link deeper and you see it comes from the guy that said this.

You should actually read the article:

quote:

“The sanctions are depriving Venezuelans of lifesaving medicines, medical equipment, food, and other essential imports,” says the report, co-authored by Jeffrey Sachs, an award-winning economist based at Columbia University, and Mark Weisbrot. “This is illegal under US and international law, and treaties that the US has signed. Congress should move to stop it.”

Squalid posted:

You really can’t blame deaths in 2017 on sanctions

The report says otherwise. From the executive summary:

quote:

This paper looks at some of the most important impacts of the economic sanctions imposed on Venezuela by the US government since August of 2017. It finds that most of the impact of these sanctions has not been on the government but on the civilian population. The sanctions reduced the public’s caloric intake, increased disease and mortality (for both adults and infants), and displaced millions of Venezuelans who fled the country as a result of the worsening economic depression and hyperinflation. They exacerbated Venezuela’s economic crisis and made it nearly impossible to stabilize the economy, contributing further to excess deaths. All of these impacts disproportionately harmed the poorest and most vulnerable Venezuelans.

Squalid posted:

I don’t know why you would bring up Trujillo if you don’t want to talk about genocide. His rule is actually remembered fondly by a surprising number of Dominicans for its steady and good economic growth. He doesn’t really deserve credit for it but at least he didn’t muck it up completely.

:wow:

Noshtane posted:

Care to summarize to how sanctions against individuals cause widespread starvation and shortages of basically everything? Or link the report? Because someone wrote it in a report doesn't automatically make it the one and only truth, or I won't accept it as such until I've actually read it.

This is literally on page 1 of the report, which is linked in the article that I posted.:

quote:

The August 2017 sanctions prohibited the Venezuelan government from borrowing in US financial markets. This prevented the government from restructuring its foreign debt, because any debt restructuring requires the issuance of new bonds in exchange for the existing debt. Thus, these sanctions prevented the economy from recovering from a deep recession which had already taken a large toll on the population, which along with the economy was more vulnerable to these sanctions and the ones that followed as a result of the economic crisis. Real GDP had already declined by about 24.7 percent from 2013 through 2016, and consumer price inflation for January to August 2017 was probably somewhere between 758 percent and 1,350 percent at an annual rate.

It is important to emphasize that nearly all of the foreign exchange that is needed to import medicine, food, medical equipment, spare parts and equipment needed for electricity generation, water systems, or transportation, is received by the Venezuelan economy through the government’s revenue from the export of oil. Thus, any sanctions that reduce export earnings, and therefore government revenue, thereby reduce the imports of these essential and, in many cases, life-saving goods.

(emphasis mine)

Majorian fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 4, 2019

fnox
May 19, 2013

Let's look at the actual report. It's here.

So the source is an ENCOVI survey, which I can say is fairly accurate, it's done by 3 of the most respected universities in Venezuela, and it is based on it stating that there has been a 31% increase in general mortality between 2017 and 2018. That's where the 40000 deaths number comes from, that's 40000 more people that died compared to the year before. Here's the problem with that number, it's basically identical to the increment between 2016 and 2017. Deaths had been steadily rising in Venezuela since Maduro took power. You can actually find the ENCOVI data from 2014 onwards, after the government stopped publishing the numbers that they collect.

The report goes to claim the following are the effects of sanctions and sanctions alone:

• 22,000 doctors leaving the country.
  • An $8bn drop in food imports since 2013.
  • The electrical crisis and the resulting deaths in hospitals.
  • A lack of access to water in sanitation pretty much all over the country.
  • Shortages of 85% of essential medicines. More than 300000 people being affected by medicine shortages.

The article further states that the drop in oil revenues, $8.4bn in foreign exchange. This is seemingly the mechanism of action of the sanctions. Loss in revenues means less money available for the foreign exchange schemes of Maduro, which is apparently what leads to them not working.

I'd like to ask you know, which of these things do you think are the result of Maduro's incompetence, of disastrous economic policies, and which of these are direct actions created by the sanctions?

fnox fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 4, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Majorian posted:

You should actually read the article:

The report says otherwise. From the executive summary:

This is literally on page 1 of the report, which is linked in the article that I posted.:

Those quotes don’t say deaths started in 2017 though? The effect of the ban on bond purchases would have started to manifest several months later, and then that would translate into shortages with a bit more delay. It’s perfectly possible some proportion of the increase in deaths that year be attributed to sanctions, but when the year was already 2/3 over when they were announced you can’t possibly believe it makes up the entire increase compared to 2010.

Also don’t be stupid I’m not defending Trujillo. If I wanted to do that why would I bring up his killings of Haitians? Use your head for once.

Noshtane
Nov 22, 2007

The report posted:

According to the National Survey on Living Conditions (ENCOVI by its acronym in Spanish), an
annual survey of living conditions administered by three Venezuelan universities, there was a 31
percent increase in general mortality from 2017 to 2018.
35 This would imply an increase of more than
40,000 deaths.36 This would be a large loss of civilian life even in an armed conflict, and it is virtually
certain that the US economic sanctions made a substantial contribution to these deaths. The
percentage of deaths due to the sanctions is difficult to estimate because the counterfactual is
unknowable, but it is worth noting that the counterfactual in the absence of sanctions could even be
that mortality would have been reduced (see below), in the event that an economic recovery would
have taken place.

Yeah, the report makes the same mistake as tankies has done in this very thread on multiple occasion. 40.000 deaths, on which the US sanctions has impacted granted, magically becomes "US sanctions kill 40.000"

Meanwhile, the infant mortality began skyrocketing LONG before these sanctions came into being and 2017 just followed the trend seen in previous years.
https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.IMRT.IN?end=2017&locations=VE&start=1990

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fnox posted:

The article further states that the drop in oil revenues, $8.4bn in foreign exchange. This is seemingly the mechanism of action of the sanctions. Loss in revenues means less money available for the foreign exchange schemes of Maduro, which is apparently what leads to them not working.

As the report states explicitly, "any sanctions that reduce export earnings, and therefore government revenue, thereby reduce the imports of these essential and, in many cases, life-saving goods." No matter how much they were supposedly targeting Maduro and elites in his government, it was the poorest and most vulnerable Venezuelans who suffered from the sanctions - not Maduro's "foreign exchange schemes."

quote:

I'd like to ask you know, which of these things do you think are the result of Maduro's incompetence, of disastrous economic policies, and which of these are direct actions created by the sanctions?

The report certainly makes it clear that Venezuela was already in a recession, but the sanctions made the situation considerably worse. Given the report's findings, you really can't fairly ascribe total responsibility for Venezuela's bad situation to Maduro at this point.

Squalid posted:

Those quotes don’t say deaths started in 2017 though? The effect of the ban on bond purchases would have started to manifest several months later, and then that would translate into shortages with a bit more delay. It’s perfectly possible some proportion of the increase in deaths that year be attributed to sanctions, but when the year was already 2/3 over when they were announced you can’t possibly believe it makes up the entire increase compared to 2010.

The report quite literally states that the sanctions caused 40,000 more deaths between 2017-2018 than otherwise would have taken place. Given the report's findings, it seems pretty clear that their effects took place a lot more quickly than you assume.

quote:

Also don’t be stupid I’m not defending Trujillo. If I wanted to do that why would I bring up his killings of Haitians? Use your head for once.

My dude, you literally felt it necessary to put in a "Trujillo was good for the economy!" line. What am I supposed to do with that besides assume you're arguing that he actually wasn't all that bad?:nallears:

Noshtane posted:

Yeah, the report makes the same mistake as tankies has done in this very thread on multiple occasion. 40.000 deaths, on which the US sanctions has impacted granted, magically becomes "US sanctions kill 40.000"

The report quite literally says, "We find that the sanctions have inflicted, and increasingly inflict, very serious harm to human life and health, including an estimated more than 40,000 deaths from 2017–2018." Not "impacted," not "increased," but "inflicted." That's 40,000 deaths because of U.S. sanctions in those two years alone.

quote:

Meanwhile, the infant mortality began skyrocketing LONG before these sanctions came into being and 2017 just followed the trend seen in previous years.
https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.IMRT.IN?end=2017&locations=VE&start=1990

Yes, there was a horrible recession in the country, largely due to a massive worldwide oil crash that had taken place in 2015. Maduro mismanaged the fallout of the crash, his predecessors failed to prepare adequately for such a crash, and then the U.S. turned the dial up to 11 with the sanctions.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 4, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Majorian you're gish galloping hard. Or goalpost moving. Or both at the same time.

Noshtane
Nov 22, 2007

Read the quote in my post. They read a ENCOVI report, took the numbers and blamed everything on the US.
They even stated that what they did is guesswork;

The report posted:

The percentage of deaths due to the sanctions is difficult to estimate because the counterfactual is
unknowable

But that didn't prevent people from later claiming that US sanctions killed 40.000.

fnox
May 19, 2013

For someone who believes Maduro is a bad ruler you sure are going extreme lengths to not attribute things to him. There’s been shortages of food and medicine since 2013, you attribute those to what? The oil crash happened a year later and the sanctions 4 years later. Is every increase in general mortality attributable to only one source? Because if so, I’ve got you your numbers for Maduro!

Also what’s the mechanism of action that caused 7000 people to be killed by security forces due to sanctions?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Majorian you're gish galloping hard.

That's great, have you got anything to say about the report's findings? Because it looks to me like the sanctions have killed a lot of Venezuelans.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Majorian posted:

The report quite literally says, "We find that the sanctions have inflicted, and increasingly inflict, very serious harm to human life and health, including an estimated more than 40,000 deaths from 2017–2018." Not "impacted," not "increased," but "inflicted." That's 40,000 deaths because of U.S. sanctions in those two years alone.

Can you quote the entire paragraph? Because it is clear in Noshtane’s quote that the author is referring to the increase of 40000 deaths in 2018 relative to 2017. This report is not claiming an increase in mortality for 2017

Also I’m not sure why you are struggling to understand my argument, I thought my point was quite transparent.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Noshtane posted:

Well let's be fair. If the leaders of Venezuela were requiring significant chunks of the economy to go through themselves so they could embezzle, than targeting their criminal assets would in fact have stopped significant imports.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fnox posted:

For someone who believes Maduro is a bad ruler you sure are going extreme lengths to not attribute things to him. There’s been shortages of food and medicine since 2013, you attribute those to what? The oil crash happened a year later and the sanctions 4 years later. Is every increase in general mortality attributable to only one source?

Well, first of all, looking at the first couple pages of a report that charts the negative effects of U.S. sanctions on Venezuela is not exactly "extreme lengths." Secondly, I'm not the one who is claiming that an increase in general mortality is attributable to one source; that's been you. You are the one suggesting that Maduro is the source of most, if not all, of Venezuela's woes, and proclaiming that literally anything would be a better alternative.

Noshtane posted:

Read the quote in my post. They read a ENCOVI report, took the numbers and blamed everything on the US.
They even stated that what they did is guesswork;

But that didn't prevent people from later claiming that US sanctions killed 40.000.

This is actually a fair point, I stand corrected! That was imprecise language on the part of the report. But its overall findings are pretty clear: a lot of deaths, malnutrition, child mortality, displacements, etc, can be traced directly to these sanctions.

Squalid posted:

Can you quote the entire paragraph? Because it is clear in Noshtane’s quote that the author is referring to the increase of 40000 deaths in 2018 relative to 2017. This report is not claiming an increase in mortality for 2017

Actually, it is: (p.15)

quote:

Since these are annual statistics, they would not take into account the impact of the sanctions during the last four months of 2017. As noted above, the impact of the August 2017 sanctions on the collapse of oil production and therefore access to imports was quite immediate, so we would expect some of the increased mortality to show up in 2017.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 5, 2019

fnox
May 19, 2013

Majorian posted:

Well, first of all, looking at the first couple pages of a report that charts the negative effects of U.S. sanctions on Venezuela is not exactly "extreme lengths." Secondly, I'm not the one who is claiming that an increase in general mortality is attributable to one source; that's been you. You are the one suggesting that Maduro is the source of most, if not all, of Venezuela's woes, and proclaiming that literally anything would be a better alternative.

Yes, because he’s been in power all this time, mostly unopposed, and it’s his beyond disastrous management of the economy that led to any sort of crisis. Other effects compounded it. Even you agree to this.

Attributing the 40000 deaths to sanctions is attributing it to one source. Come on now, don’t be coy with me.

I ask again, what causes an increase in the amount of people being killed for resisting arrest?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fnox posted:

Yes, because he’s been in power all this time, mostly unopposed, and it’s his beyond disastrous management of the economy that led to any sort of crisis.

This is just flat-out wrong. The crisis didn't start with Maduro; he made it worse on several levels, but the seeds of the crisis were already planted when he came into power, and any negative effect he had was at least matched, if not eclipsed, by the negative effects of years of sanctions.

quote:

I ask again, what causes an increase in the amount of people being killed for resisting arrest?

I'm sure it's a multitude of factors. We don't have evidence that it was caused by a systematic program set in motion by Maduro, though, which kind of undermines your argument that Maduro is the sole reason.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 5, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Majorian posted:

This is just flat-out wrong. The crisis didn't start with Maduro; he made it worse on several levels,

Uhh, you just contradicted yourself here.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Uhh, you just contradicted yourself here.

Against my better judgment, I'll bite: in what way did I contradict myself?

M. Discordia
Apr 30, 2003

by Smythe
The cycle of the Venezuela thread for the past 16 years has been that when the latest of the hundreds of incontrovertible pieces of evidence that the PSUV is a brutal dictatorship whose only end is the extermination of all life in Venezuela is posted, the Jacobin readers go "tut tut, that's a shame" then start jabbering about Pinochet or Elliot Abrams or the Iraq war. Then, a few weeks later when the news item has passed its shock value, they go back to "Venezuela is a paradise and if anything is wrong there, which it isn't, it's because of sanctions and CIA fascist saboteurs." I'll be referring back to this post in August.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'll just stop beating around the bush.

Majorian, how much do you think Maduro and the PSUV are responsible for the Venezuela's current situation, and where would you rank them in terms of tiers of lovely authoritarian regimes?

It's clear you don't think Maduro is as bad as Pinochet, but who would you compare him to?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 5, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'll just stop beating around the bush.

Majorian, how much do you think Maduro and the PSUV are responsible for the Venezuela's current situation, and where would you rank them in terms of tiers of lovely authoritarian regimes?

It's clear you don't think Maduro is as bad as Pinochet, but who would you compare him to?

I think Maduro and the PSUV are important contributing factors to how bad this crisis has become. There are other, comparably significant factors as well, imo, including sanctions, the oil crash, preexisting factors in the Venezuelan socioeconomic system that predate Chavez, etc etc. I don’t really see much utility in ranking him among other strongmen, other than that I think saying he’s worse than Pinochet is pretty nuts. Dude’s a pretty garden variety kleptocrat, just in a country that’s beset by a lot of other really bad problems that he’s making worse.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Maduro isn't "bad".

He's abhorrent.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
I like Majorian presenting the report as absolute proof the sanctions alone caused the excess deaths in 2017 when the authors themselves say they can't prove it.

"Mr Weisbrot, a cofounder of the CEPR, told The Independent the authors could not prove those excess deaths were the result of sanctions"

Just like Maduro's regime causing babies to die is *clearly* less bad than Pinochet's regime murdering dissidents, because, hey, I dunno. Maybe they're both bad, and stop whitewashing Maduro's regime. If they weren't stealing billions, fewer babies would be dead. That's direct responsibility, son.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

I like Majorian presenting the report as absolute proof the sanctions alone caused the excess deaths in 2017 when the authors themselves say they can't prove it.

"Mr Weisbrot, a cofounder of the CEPR, told The Independent the authors could not prove those excess deaths were the result of sanctions"

Just like Maduro's regime causing babies to die is *clearly* less bad than Pinochet's regime murdering dissidents, because, hey, I dunno. Maybe they're both bad, and stop whitewashing Maduro's regime. If they weren't stealing billions, fewer babies would be dead. That's direct responsibility, son.

Well, now, hold on a second - while it's perfectly valid to point out that Weisbrot says he couldn't prove that those excess deaths were the result of sanctions, I'm not sure why I'm supposed to take it on faith that Maduro is directly responsible for the spike in infant mortality, just because you say so. I would believe that Maduro's kleptocratic government is partially responsible, but we're talking about a developing country that was already in a severe recession.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 5, 2019

fnox
May 19, 2013

He is responsible because the spike got worse with him. I will admit the political crisis comes from Chavez, and that some of the worst economic policies are actually Chavez’ ideas.

But you’re telling me that the crisis didn’t start with him, when I can tell you that at no point, not even during the oil strike of 2003 where oil revenues sank rapidly and massively, were there food and medicine shortages. I know this because I loving experienced what it was like to go from 2013 to 2014. They began with Maduro. It began with his policies, with his Ley de Precios Justos, he started the crisis before the crash, before sanctions, before anything.

There isn’t a problem getting food into the country, well besides dealing with insanely corrupt customs officers, the problem is with selling it. There’s no embargo. But if you want to sell Harina PAN in Venezuela outside of government stores, you gotta do it underground, like if you were selling cocaine, not flour. Otherwise, it will be decommissioned, or you will be forced to sell it at a huge loss.

Again, you’re saying that Maduro is bad, but you don’t seem to agree that any of the major components of the crisis are his fault. What the gently caress do you think he’s been doing all this time?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fnox posted:

He is responsible because the spike got worse with him.

Correlation is not necessarily causation. Come on, you know this.

quote:

But you’re telling me that the crisis didn’t start with him, when I can tell you that at no point, not even during the oil strike of 2003 where oil revenues sank rapidly and massively, were there food and medicine shortages. I know this because I loving experienced what it was like to go from 2013 to 2014. They began with Maduro. It began with his policies, with his Ley de Precios Justos, he started the crisis before the crash, before sanctions, before anything.

That's just flat-out nonsense. The crisis began because Venezuela's economy is heavily reliant on oil production, and was thus extremely sensitive to an oil crash. It's Chavez's and Maduro's fault for not further diversifying the economy, but it's just plain historically ignorant to suggest that the seeds of this crisis hadn't already been planted before Chavez took power. The fact that the '02-'03 strike didn't create a crisis this bad isn't really a strong argument in your favor; the strike lasted for two months. While it cost the government quite a bit in revenue, that's logically not going to have the same broad societal impact that an international oil crash, combined with heavy sanctions from the U.S., is going to have on a society like Venezuela's.

quote:

Again, you’re saying that Maduro is bad, but you don’t seem to agree that any of the major components of the crisis are his fault.

I've actually said that he and his government were significant factors, among other significant factors. I'm not sure what more you want me to say, other than that he, personally, is the one and only cause of this crisis - which would be an absurd oversimplification, at best.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 5, 2019

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

fnox posted:

He is responsible because the spike got worse with him. I will admit the political crisis comes from Chavez, and that some of the worst economic policies are actually Chavez’ ideas.

There isn’t a problem getting food into the country, well besides dealing with insanely corrupt customs officers, the problem is with selling it. There’s no embargo. But if you want to sell Harina PAN in Venezuela outside of government stores, you gotta do it underground, like if you were selling cocaine, not flour. Otherwise, it will be decommissioned, or you will be forced to sell it at a huge loss.

Again, you’re saying that Maduro is bad, but you don’t seem to agree that any of the major components of the crisis are his fault. What the gently caress do you think he’s been doing all this time?

So you believe that the current crisis and problems are due to Maduro and not Chavez? Like if Chavez was still around Venezuela would not be in its current state?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

punk rebel ecks posted:

So you believe that the current crisis and problems are due to Maduro and not Chavez? Like if Chavez was still around Venezuela would not be in its current state?

I honestly don't think the situation would be nearly as bad if Chavez was in charge. But then again it would probably still be Very Bad.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Maduro took a bad situation *and actively worsened it*.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Maduro took a bad situation *and actively worsened it*.

Yes, I've said that a few times now. What I don't get is fnox's apparent inability to acknowledge that there were other significant factors at play, including oil.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Majorian posted:

Yes, I've said that a few times now. What I don't get is fnox's apparent inability to acknowledge that there were other significant factors at play, including oil.

Well the article you cited claimed every death was due to sanctions alone, so oil and Maduro's policies were evidently immaterial if it's all the fault of sanctions.

I think comparing Pinochet to Maduro is pointless, they're both horrible independently.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Well the article you cited claimed every death was due to sanctions alone, so oil and Maduro's policies were evidently immaterial if it's all the fault of sanctions.

Where does the article/study claim that? I didn't see it say anything of the sort.

quote:

I think comparing Pinochet to Maduro is pointless, they're both horrible independently.

Thank you.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Majorian posted:

Where does the article/study claim that? I didn't see it say anything of the sort.

Thank you.

Sorry, every excess death.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Sorry, every excess death.

That's still not what it said at all, come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

Majorian posted:

It’s the main conclusion of it. It isn’t saying that Maduro is responsible for any of those deaths.