Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

I wouldn't trust that thing to make coffee without killing me, let alone nerve gas. What a nightmarish rust factory.

I’ve been in operating chemical plants that looked worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they did manage to make like a hundred kilograms of >90% pure sarin in there too

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

they did manage to make like a hundred kilograms of >90% pure sarin in there too

It probably wasn't food grade though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'd say it was just as suitable for human consumption as the best sarin from the major superpowers

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Cody made a video about extracting the precious metals from catalytic converters and for the video he got a bag of crushed catalytic converter material from eBay and I'm sure that unlike Cody you see what's coming here the seller had already extracted the metals

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ola posted:

It probably wasn't food grade though.

Mods, name change to "Food Grade Sarin" please.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Cody made a video about extracting the precious metals from catalytic converters and for the video he got a bag of crushed catalytic converter material from eBay and I'm sure that unlike Cody you see what's coming here the seller had already extracted the metals

didn't he already try extracting platinum from dust sweepings on the side of the freeway? and did so successfully, and concluded that the dirt was actually rich enough to be considered a valuable ore deposit if there were more of it?

that video was a lot more interesting than just buying poo poo off ebay

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I barely remember anything from high school chem besides the symbols for the elements and that's enough to make this distinctly frightening. I imagine my ignorance is the only reason my hair hasn't gone white from reading this.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

didn't he already try extracting platinum from dust sweepings on the side of the freeway? and did so successfully, and concluded that the dirt was actually rich enough to be considered a valuable ore deposit if there were more of it?

that video was a lot more interesting than just buying poo poo off ebay

He apparently wanted to put out the two videos simultaneously and he did have some catalytic converters he took apart himself but I agree that lately he seems to be having some trouble finding good topics for new videos.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I barely remember anything from high school chem besides the symbols for the elements and that's enough to make this distinctly frightening. I imagine my ignorance is the only reason my hair hasn't gone white from reading this.

t-butyl lithium ignites violently on contact with air and is among the least concerning reagents in that synthesis

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I understand the temperature and torr (vacuum measurement), but what do the "dark" and the ">80%" refer to?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So that 10-3 torr...what's going on there? I know torr is a unit of gas pressure, is it saying that the product is 100 C and has to be produced in a near vacuum?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’m going to guess it has to be done in the dark, because light angers the reagents or reaction products. The makers don’t seem to be the type to be in the business of blowing up spectrometers :getin:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

For centuries, a rite of passage for chemists was the preparation of tetralitiomethane. This tiny molecule - starting as carbon tetrachloride, force-fed mercury, then suffocated in a near vacuum - was prepared whole and burned that way, bonds and all, while the apparatus was draped with a linen napkin to preserve the precious aromas and, some believe, to hide from God.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BattleMaster posted:

For centuries, a rite of passage for chemists was the preparation of tetralitiomethane. This tiny molecule - starting as carbon tetrachloride, force-fed mercury, then suffocated in a near vacuum - was prepared whole and burned that way, bonds and all, while the apparatus was draped with a linen napkin to preserve the precious aromas and, some believe, to hide from God.

... :magical:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’m going to guess it has to be done in the dark, because light angers the reagents or reaction products. The makers don’t seem to be the type to be in the business of blowing up spectrometers :getin:

All I know is that when chemists start doing stuff in the dark, it's probably too late to start running.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arglebargle III posted:

t-butyl lithium ignites violently on contact with air and is among the least concerning reagents in that synthesis

Yeah, between that, the word pyrophoric (with a highly thrown in for good measure), and elementary mercury being heated to 100°C that's a big enough :stonk: for me.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

BattleMaster posted:

This is beautiful. :golfclap:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nebakenezzer posted:

So that 10-3 torr...what's going on there? I know torr is a unit of gas pressure, is it saying that the product is 100 C and has to be produced in a near vacuum?

Yeah, it's a pretty low pressure, around 0.00000131986 psi unless I did the math wrong.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah 10^-3 torr is low pressure. It's not hard to achieve on a benchtop with a vacuum pump you could get from Amazon.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BattleMaster posted:

Good lord.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

10-3 torr is the kind of pressure that you can get if you clean your stuff real good and let a rotary vacuum pump go at it for a while to let everything outgas. It's such a slight pressure that even for the stuff I do with proportional gas radiation detectors which can have their performance fouled by oxygen gas and outgassing crap, I'm pretty happy if I can achieve it with some stability once I turn off the turbomolecular pump (goes down to 10-6 torr or so).

I'm not really sure how tetralitiomethane works but I bet you don't want it in the presence of oxygen either.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

...I did not expect an adaptation of the ortolan speech. :stonklol:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Go look at Wikipedia article for ortolan

E:goddamnit

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ahhh, it was based in Silent Hill, got it. :ohno:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What brought me to France in the first place was a story I'd heard about François Mitterrand, the former French president, who two years ago had gorged himself on one last orgiastic feast before he'd died. For his last meal, he'd eaten oysters and foie gras and capon—all in copious quantities—the succulent, tender, sweet tastes flooding his parched mouth. And then there was the meal's ultimate course: a small, yellow-throated songbird that was illegal to eat. Rare and seductive, the bird—ortolan—supposedly represented the French soul. And this old man, this ravenous president, had taken it whole—wings, feet, liver, heart. Swallowed it, bones and all. Consumed it beneath a white cloth so that God Himself couldn't witness the barbaric act.

I wondered then what a soul might taste like.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

What brought me to France in the first place was a story I'd heard about François Mitterrand, the former French president, who two years ago had gorged himself on one last orgiastic feast before he'd died. For his last meal, he'd eaten oysters and foie gras and capon—all in copious quantities—the succulent, tender, sweet tastes flooding his parched mouth. And then there was the meal's ultimate course: a small, yellow-throated songbird that was illegal to eat. Rare and seductive, the bird—ortolan—supposedly represented the French soul. And this old man, this ravenous president, had taken it whole—wings, feet, liver, heart. Swallowed it, bones and all. Consumed it beneath a white cloth so that God Himself couldn't witness the barbaric act.

I wondered then what a soul might taste like.

Supposedly the blood from bone shards gouging your gums is an integral part of the experience.

Much the same can be said for tetralithiomethane.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BattleMaster posted:

holy poo poo lmao I was not expecting this

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, dark, low pressure, 100C temp.

The 80% probably refers to the yield. That means that if you do it as described, it is expected that 80% of the original reactant will be turned into the product. If you get way less you hosed up, if you get way more you get to publish a new paper about what you did differently.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Carbon dioxide posted:

, if you get way more you get to publish a new paper about what you did differently.

"Don't know, didn't die"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It can take quite a while to figure out what you did differently. IIRC polymerisation wasn't figured out until the british and american teams swapped equipment the british gear leaked and let in oxygen which catalysed the reaction, which is why the americans could never get it to work

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Lone Badger posted:

It can take quite a while to figure out what you did differently. IIRC polymerisation wasn't figured out until the british and american teams swapped equipment the british gear leaked and let in oxygen which catalysed the reaction, which is why the americans could never get it to work

Reminds me of the story about American production of the Merlin engine. An American engineer tells a Rolls-Royce guy they can't work to the specified tolerances. Rolls-Royce guy has a smug chuckle before the American tells them his tolerances are so lovely they can't possibly be a guide for mass production. The Brits just employed lots of people to machine the parts down until they fit in one engine or another, meaning essentially every Merlin was custom built, a neat technique but worthless for :911: mass production with true interchangeability in parts.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yes, dark, low pressure, 100C temp.

The 80% probably refers to the yield. That means that if you do it as described, it is expected that 80% of the original reactant will be turned into the product. If you get way less you hosed up, if you get way more you get to publish a new paper about what you did differently.

400% yield and now Colorado is uninhabited

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Reminds me of the story about American production of the Merlin engine. An American engineer tells a Rolls-Royce guy they can't work to the specified tolerances. Rolls-Royce guy has a smug chuckle before the American tells them his tolerances are so lovely they can't possibly be a guide for mass production. The Brits just employed lots of people to machine the parts down until they fit in one engine or another, meaning essentially every Merlin was custom built, a neat technique but worthless for :911: mass production with true interchangeability in parts.

Book quote ("Not Much of an Engineer") under the spoiler.
“One day their Chief Engineer appeared in Lovesey’s office, which I was then sharing, and said, ‘You know, we can’t make the Merlin to these drawings.’

I replied loftily, ‘I suppose that is because the drawing tolerances are too difficult for you, and you can’t achieve the accuracy.’

‘On the contrary’ he replied, ‘the tolerances are far too wide for us.’ We make motor cars far more accurately than this. Every part on our car engines has to be interchangeable with the same part on any other engine, and hence all parts have to be made with extreme accuracy, far closer than you use. That is the only way we can achieve mass-production.’”

https://www.tested.com/art/makers/492418-packard-merlin-how-detroit-mass-produced-britains-hand-built-powerhouse/

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

t-butyllithium, the second to last step, has a 444w hazard diamond.

BattleMaster posted:

:golfclap:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

BattleMaster posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists > PYF Dangerous Chemistry: Synthesis under a veil, to hide our sins from God

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GWBBQ posted:

t-butyllithium, the second to last step, has a 444w hazard diamond.

Oh poo poo my hair

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
As close as we'll get to :nfpa:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

tert-butyllithium hates you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Queen Combat posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists > PYF Dangerous Chemistry: Synthesis under a veil, to hide our sins from God

do it, mods