Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

agradine posted:

Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Edit: I will also accept other Good Friends references, in case FRON is more your speed.

Edit2: Apparently I missed the first name-based :toxx:, nothing wrong with coming second!

Jose Valasquez posted:

You've inspired me

:toxx:

$25 up to a max of $250 per run that uses a 0 power Chicken Knife on NED
Please provide a screenshot of the equipment screen and a one of the wielder attacking NED

Completions: Edward_Tohr, Mega64, Samuel Clemens, ssmagus

Jose Valasquez posted:

You've inspired me

Please provide a screenshot of the equipment screen and a one of the wielder attacking NED

Completions: Edward_Tohr, Mega64, Samuel Clemens, ssmagus

Getting the timing right for the screenshot on my phone is bonkers. But if you need a damage number popup specifically I can go back and fill my SD card with shots of Faris standing there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Nasgate posted:

Getting the timing right for the screenshot on my phone is bonkers. But if you need a damage number popup specifically I can go back and fill my SD card with shots of Faris standing there.

No problem, this was good enough for me

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

lmao, yes please.

Kyrosiris posted:

Holy poo poo, as a band nerd that loving ruled. :swoon: Thanks for linking it!

:same:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Ritznit posted:

I will donate 5$, up to 50$ (unless I find more money in the seat cushions when I move next week) for every goon who triple-crowns without Time Mage, Chemist, Bard or Beastmaster. As far as I understand, those are the most effective options for crazy boss shenanigans. I know there are others, and I don't want this to be completely impossible, just no playing with the super broken stuff. I'm happy to donate for anyone who is willing to go through a bit of extra hassle.

Please provide screenshots of your full party with their equipped jobs and kill screens for the bosses! Extra thumbs up from me if you give a quick rundown of how you beat the bosses

Hempuli posted:

I'll donate $10 for every screenshot of either NED, Shinryu or Omega being beaten with only one team-member alive, up to $100. Preferably with the teammates falling to enemy attacks, but eh, feel free to set things up however you want. :toxx:

As it turns out, Mystic Knight/Ninja/Samurai is pretty much the perfect combination for shutting down Shinryu and Omega. For Shinryu, Aegis Shield, Diamond Helmet, Bone Mail, and Flame Ring coupled with !Image, Drain from !Spellblade, and Haste from the Masamune meant I could outlast him indefinitely once the shield blocked his opening Tidal Wave. For Omega, I used a Reflect Ring plus the Flame Shield and bounced Haste off Omega's own Reflect. Once he cast Search on himself, I could safely get in two Thundaga-boosted Chicken Knife attacks because Mystic Knight Krile is crazy fast. The only danger was running out of Hi-Potions. (Which I almost did due to the terrible RNG.)

I was level 35 by the end, but this team could probably beat both super bosses in the mid-20s if it wanted. Which is rather impressive considering it lacks both Stop and Berserk.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 4, 2019

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Second run complete, pretty easy time all things considered, but then I did just kind of grind a bunch.

So I've only done normal runs so far, now I wanna spice it up a bit, so which other run type should I do if i'm still relatively new?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Madtrixr posted:

Second run complete, pretty easy time all things considered, but then I did just kind of grind a bunch.

So I've only done normal runs so far, now I wanna spice it up a bit, so which other run type should I do if i'm still relatively new?

I always ride pure chaos till I die

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Pure Chaos is the best, but if you're on GBA the Advance one is worth a try. It's a shame there's no Advanced Pure Chaos.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

1234567890num posted:

Pure Chaos is the best, but if you're on GBA the Advance one is worth a try. It's a shame there's no Advanced Pure Chaos.

I'm really liking my first Pure Chaos run and I second this. Maybe next year?

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

1234567890num posted:

Pure Chaos it is then.

Well, it's not Monk again, so this will be fresh at least.

EDIT:

Thats three monks in a row...well at least I can triple crown with this team, at the expense of several hours of time.

might as well throw in the victory screen for my second run

Madtrixr fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 5, 2019

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Gilgamesh summons Enkidu, instantly hit both with the dumb Gaia move that lowers hp to single digits, Enkidu heals itself and Gilgamesh for 6hp with white wind, summoner melees Enkidu to death in one hit.

A more pro-er strat have I ever seen.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you ever get bored, I found this Youtube channel showing off glitches and other weird stuff in FF5. It's in Japanese, but a lot of it seems obvious enough to figure out what's going on.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
I'm clearing out the Void by killing all the bosses and grabbing the chests I care about so I can get out and breeze through it later. I have the first two tablets and should probably at least go get the third so I can get Meteor. I don't think I've ever tried it without getting all of the tablets, but I'm pretty sure they're not required..?

I tried Omega (with Blue/Time/Bard/Cannoneer) and.. nah, not going to bother with a triple crown. Probably, unless I can do it without going out of my way too much. Stun locking the guy with Romeo's Ballad is a neat trick, but then I'm left with a "then what?" I could go Hastega and keep using Romeo's Ballad and have someone else keep Hero's Rime going to get my party up to level 99 and then... something, or maybe go get 1000 Needles and cast it a billion times. Or lightning rods.

Quick is neat. I don't seem to have a good way to deal with KOed party members, except Quick > Phoenix Down > heal (White Wind etc). Quick > Vampire > White Wind works pretty well to get everyone in shape, provided they're all alive. I have to rely on rods for elemental damage all around though.

blinking beacon nose fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 5, 2019

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

blinking beacon nose posted:

I'm clearing out the Void by killing all the bosses and grabbing the chests I care about so I can get out and breeze through it later. I have the first two tablets and should probably at least go get the third so I can get Meteor. I don't think I've ever tried it without getting all of the tablets, but I'm pretty sure they're not required..?

I tried Omega (with Blue/Time/Bard/Cannoneer) and.. nah, not going to bother with a triple crown. Probably, unless I can do it without going out of my way too much. Stun locking the guy with Romeo's Ballad is a neat trick, but then I'm left with a "then what?" I could go Hastega and keep using Romeo's Ballad and have someone else keep Hero's Rime going to get my party up to level 99 and then... something, or maybe go get 1000 Needles and cast it a billion times. Or lightning rods.

Quick is neat. I don't seem to have a good way to deal with KOed party members, except Quick > Phoenix Down > heal (White Wind etc). Quick > Vampire > White Wind works pretty well too. I have to rely on rods for elemental damage all around though.

If you have several hours to kill, give one person a Reflect Ring, then break a Poison Rod on them to nail Omega (and pretty much anything else) with Sap. Cast Quick and wait for his HP to burn out at a rate of 2hp per tick.

Rolling Time Mage is the easiest triple crown, but good luck sitting around waiting for Sap to do the work.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Alternatively they can just use cannoneer to slow omega with slow cannon (gotta do all 4 tablet dungeons to get cannoneer shots unlocked) and then use vulner cannon to attack omega with everyone without omega counter attacking. Makes the fight far more manageable when omega is slowed and never used rockets, mustard bombs, or encircle.

Edit: means they have to grind out !combine on everyone but that's not hard with Bal basement and L5Death. Slow cannon is turtle shell + any cannon shot (blitz does the most damage). Vulner cannon is iron draft + any cannon shot. It'll do like 800ish damage depending on your level but it will be faster than a quickleak

Cannoneer can also berserk and blind shinryu so long as you still have the two ash items for blinding shin.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 5, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Everything after the pyramid is optional, but with your party, you probably do want Meteor.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MagusDraco posted:

Alternatively they can just use cannoneer to slow omega with slow cannon (gotta do all 4 tablet dungeons to get cannoneer shots unlocked) and then use vulner cannon to attack omega with everyone without omega counter attacking. Makes the fight far more manageable when omega is slowed and never used rockets, mustard bombs, or encircle.

They also have Bard, which means there isn't any need for that nonsense, just stop lock Omega and fill him full of Thunder Cannon.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

They also have Bard, which means there isn't any need for that nonsense, just stop lock Omega and fill him full of Thunder Cannon.

Oh poo poo, I both (a) forgot about and (b) have never used Combine. I should probably grab some ingredients and other stuff, set my emulator to 16x speed, set up a macro and go to bed. I gotta look into how Combine works because I imagine it being a lifesaver with Exdeath too. That'll be worth grabbing all four tablets, since I'll be grabbing three anyway.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The infoposts channel in discord has all the information, but suffice it to say if you song boost yourself to level 99, Thunder Cannon would be coming in at 440 * 42 = 18000-ish damage (truncated to 9999, naturally).

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
I've run up against something of a Brick Wall with World 2 Exdeath with a party of White Mage/Red Mage/Ranger/Oracle (using the fiesta patch). I can handle the first phase just "fighting fair" with healing and buffing so he starts dispelling rather than attack. But once he hits phase 2 his damage pretty much just one-shots anyone he targets. I've got two staves of light for the staff users (and a spare, because I got lucky), but I was dumb and didn't want to grind for reflect rings, and I'm out of elemental rods to break. The party is level 26 currently, do I just need to start grinding?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Odysseus S. Grant posted:

I've run up against something of a Brick Wall with World 2 Exdeath with a party of White Mage/Red Mage/Ranger/Oracle (using the fiesta patch). I can handle the first phase just "fighting fair" with healing and buffing so he starts dispelling rather than attack. But once he hits phase 2 his damage pretty much just one-shots anyone he targets. I've got two staves of light for the staff users (and a spare, because I got lucky), but I was dumb and didn't want to grind for reflect rings, and I'm out of elemental rods to break. The party is level 26 currently, do I just need to start grinding?

!White on three characters should keep up with Shell/Blink/Reflect casting, no?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Do you have everyone in the back row with Shell and Protect in place? Exdeath hits hard, but he shouldn't be able to one-shot level 26 characters who are fully buffed.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Do you have everyone in the back row with Shell and Protect in place? Exdeath hits hard, but he shouldn't be able to one-shot level 26 characters who are fully buffed.

Yeah, with Shell, his -aga spells should be doing under 400 damage, which is nothing at 26.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

of mankind
Thanks y'all. The attempts I did had !white on three characters, and I tried to keep buffs up through dispels while doing what measly damage I could, but occasionally a vacuum wave just gibs someone and I get stuck in the spiral of ressing and healing and dying, and I don't quite have time to put shell up. As for the back row, everyone's in it, but is it worth essentially passing the turn to move back when he pulls everyone forward?

e: Made another attempt, made sure to keep up the buffs at all time, and it went flawlessly this time. Thanks for the help, everyone!

Odysseus S. Grant fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 5, 2019

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Success!

That took way too many tries to remember how the drat fight works. I haven't played FFV past like halfway through world 2 in probably 10 years or more. This party was interesting - Gladiator was fantastic single-target damage when it worked, Summoner was great MT damage, Monk was... alive to use items/Mix, and Chemist was Chemist. We had a serious lack of healing, multitarget or otherwise, since we were primarily reliant on Sylph, potions, and Mix.

Gladiator Bartz had !Mix and the Hermes Sandals for the final fight, and aside from !Finisher spam, was a third raisebot with Potion+Phoenix Down.

Chemist Lenna had !Summon and an Angel Ring. We actually had a rather sparse list of summons; the only optional ones I picked up were Sylph, Golem, Syldra, Odin, Phoenix, and Bahamut. Those are really all you need, but it's weird to have so many blank spaces!

Summoner Krile had !Drink and a Protect Ring. I forgot to get the second Hermes Sandals, those would've been way better. She and Lenna each chugged a Goliath Tonic and a Hero Cocktail to survive Almagest and boost damage, then did nothing but Bahamut and Phoenix for the rest of the fight. Bringing each other back with Phoenix happened so often I wasn't even keeping track of their MP, and they both had Gold Hairpins.

Monk Faris could survive Almagest without any liquid assistance, so she would spam !Finisher if we were in decent shape, and throw out Gold Needles and/or Phoenix Downs otherwise.

This was interesting, but I dunno if I wanna participate again next year. I'll try the randomizers some time in between and see if it rekindles my love for the game. It's one of my favorites in the series but I played it to death early on and don't tend to continue for very long once I have all the main job sets, either because I get bored of the game itself or because some other game distracts me. :v:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Jose Valasquez posted:

You've inspired me

Completions: Edward_Tohr, Mega64, Samuel Clemens, ssmagus, Nasgate

White/Mystic/Bard/Cannon. This team has absolutely no problem with random encounters.

Chicken Knife with 0 power at 99 Strength, Agility and Level.

The combined power of !Sing and !Combine.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 6, 2019

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Pure Chaos put together a very fun team of Samurai/Summoner/Mystic Knight/Time Mage. Zeninage, time magic, and being able to abuse or ignore a lot of elemental stuff made for a pretty easy run overall, and Quick cheese let me get Omega down (thanks thread)

Nessie vomited NED to death at a nice rate of six Nessies Per Turn, a very respectable NPT that didn't even let NED Almagest me

Omega died... slowly and still managed to kill half my party before idling to death

Shinryu was just a rigged DPS race, four casters with Quick and a dozen elixirs I'm willing to burn kinda make sure of that

My next Pure Chaos starts with Blue mage, which is entirely new for me. What're considered the best spells to nab for them?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Well that was fun and wholesome, I'll definitely be doing this again.

Ended up with thief, summoner, geomancer and dragoon.

Thief with powered up chicken knife was insane, and four people that can summon is legitimately broken.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

Wasn't too bad. I had Bartz and Lenna with both Blue and Time, Faris was a Bard with Blue, and Krile was a Cannoneer that I didn't have much use for since I never went back and got Combine and so she became lead Singer. Everyone was lvl 32-33.

It was mostly a matter of keeping the momentum going and hitting really hard really quickly. So, you know, Quick and Meteor.

First form was straightforward, NED was much less so but was still manageable. Went in with Hermes Sandals on everyone and Mighty Guard on them ASAP. Gold Hairpins on two folks.

I had two hasted ladies singing Hero"s Rime a lot of the time. Krile pretty much never left her singing trance that because no physical attacks could hit her with Main Gauche equipped. Quick + Meteor + Meteor, Quick + Vamp + WWind, Quick + Phoenix Down + Elixir, Quick + (stuff to do to recover from Grand Cross) were all good combos.

Death Clawed and then sneezed on NED's back to kill it first, bashed the inexplicably dragonlike middle piece with a harp, and rounded out the whole thing with two casters doing Meteor x2 on most turns to spread the love. Throwing Elixirs at one another helped keep the MP tank topped off and/or set up a nice White Wind from somebody.

I didn't get it on my first try, though. At one point a Grand Cross left me a berserked toad as my sole survivor. Yeah. Obviously he didn't make it very far after that.

Could have explored trip crown but wanted to finish the run already.

Was actually one of the more interesting runs I've done.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Darwinism posted:

My next Pure Chaos starts with Blue mage, which is entirely new for me. What're considered the best spells to nab for them?

There's really no reason not to fill out the spell list.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Level 5 death, level 2 old, dark spark, aera / ga, flame thrower, death claw, white wind, mighty guard, 1k needles, flash

Forgot aqua rake and gobbo punch and might as well grab self destruct to speed up Galuf

derra fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 6, 2019

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

1000 Needles is too much of a pain in the rear end to be worth getting.

Also you forgot Vampire.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Vampire is good I just never use it. And I forgot Mind Blast but you'll get that before you need it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

Also you forgot Vampire.

GBA Only, there; it's nice in SNES/Project Demi, but not nearly the wunderkind it is thanks to the port's bugs.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

of mankind
Boosted !dualcast Holy kind of trivialises the whole void, huh? And I guess !rapidfire Chicken Knife helped too.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

The Blue spells I used most were Vampire (on GBA), White Wind, Death Claw, Aqua Breath, and Mighty Guard (which you won't get until much later). Lv 3 Flare and Lv 5 Death were nice to have around too; often I'd just try Lv 3 Flare on a whim and enemies would just get hit.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

The Blue spells I used most were Vampire (on GBA), White Wind, Death Claw, Aqua Breath, and Mighty Guard (which you won't get until much later). Lv 3 Flare and Lv 5 Death were nice to have around too; often I'd just try Lv 3 Flare on a whim and enemies would just get hit.

Yeah I was pretty under leveled going into the void but Level 3 Flare was great for grinding in the ruins area.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

White/Black/Mystic/Summon

This party was insane and absolutely tore through the game.

Garula wasn't great with a black mage open, but their ability to eat siren beforehand with fire attacks made up for the difficulty with him.

White mage as a water job patched up all the few issues I was having with the black mages, and gave me the confuse I'd need to float over Titan's death earthquake later on.

After throwing some frost rods, Mystic Knight was my fire job. It's good to see some efficient MP use, some HPs (in relativity) and someone to wield the good swords.

Summoner as an Earth job is interesting. There's no real need to pick up the optional W1 summons with black magic at the ready, the floating city's cannons already dead, and ifrit already dead.

Summoner tore through most of W2 with gaia gear titan spams.

A lot of the bosses late world 2 into world 3 could just be put to sleep and spammed with spells.

Phoenix tower is great when you can turn everyone to harmless toads. Even better when you can one hit kill the toads individually while stealing their stuff using the mystic knight's break enchanted thief knife.

The ability to put reflect on everyone makes twintania a very boring fight. For the most part it was fairly trivial right up until the end.

I don't pick up the magic lamp purely because I don't know where it is, and the explanations I've read make it sound like a real butt to find. It would have made my life easier here.

Going into NED with so few HP meant that my 1st kill was always going to be petrifying Al Majasti with the mystic knight's break sword. While it's not the biggest threat, I go for Grand Coif after Al Majasti because I really don't like having my dudes not be under my control. I had some real issues in the end trying to kill Wizard Bones and Muscledeath simultaneously so as to avoid the fatal meteor spamming. Victory only came after a few tries, when I decided to not eyeball it. Instead I spammed libra while whittling away at these two guys until I was completely sure that I could take them both down in a single round.

In the four runs I've done you can see a huge difference in time and level between my first ever play through of FFV and my most recent run with some pretty disgustingly good jobs.

Note that the character icons are not ordered in any way. It's just the order they were in when I did the NED fight, excepting that I put Bartz at the front so that the save file has whatever name I gave him.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You're pretty close to meeting the conditions for my 20 jobs toxx. If you feel up to a couple more runs, you can make me spend money on charity.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ultrafilter posted:

You're pretty close to meeting the conditions for my 20 jobs toxx. If you feel up to a couple more runs, you can make me spend money on charity.

I've got two or three more in me. That said, the probability of repeats increases with the number of jobs collected. I get the feeling the next 5 jobs are going to be much harder to find than the previous 15!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

I've got two or three more in me. That said, the probability of repeats increases with the number of jobs collected. I get the feeling the next 5 jobs are going to be much harder to find than the previous 15!

I'm also matching job fair donations, if you want to make the odds in your favor.