Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I was thinking it was the app but I can't get GWS to show anything but the contents of TCC on my browser either. Is this a normal thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oddhair posted:

I was thinking it was the app but I can't get GWS to show anything but the contents of TCC on my browser either. Is this a normal thing?

TCC was renamed to GWS. The Sub Forum is where you talk about food.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
lol

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Midjack posted:

Holy poo poo lol

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I never even noticed because I mostly only hit up my bookmarked threads, and rarely on a pc. Pretty clever, and kratom users are getting a double laugh.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Midjack posted:

Thank you! I'm an old so devices mostly piss me off, and I navigate to subforums by forum id most times, but the app doesn't let me do that. I promise I expanded every sub before asking, that name is a little too clever for me.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Midjack posted:

:perfect:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is there (or could there be) a way to make emotes animate automatically without making all gifs animate automatically?

I have gifs off for bandwidth reasons but emotes are tiny and some are invisible on the default frame so you don't even know they're there. :cb: <-- for example

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I've wished for this too, as well as the same thing for avs. Obviously not real badly or I would have asked by now, but someone else did so here's my me too.

E: durr reading comprehension, Bloop was talking animation. I just meant displaying at all. I'd never turn off animation.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 23, 2019

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Is there any way to search a supforum by tag?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I just noticed that emotes don't show up in custom titles.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I just got a Motorola G7 yesterday, and the app is doing this:

I didn't see a setting that obviously has the answer. Any guidance?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

I just got a Motorola G7 yesterday, and the app is doing this:

I didn't see a setting that obviously has the answer. Any guidance?

It thinks you're on a tablet.

Settings -> Device and Navigation -> Thread Layout

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The Bloop posted:

Is there (or could there be) a way to make emotes animate automatically without making all gifs animate automatically?

I have gifs off for bandwidth reasons but emotes are tiny and some are invisible on the default frame so you don't even know they're there. :cb: <-- for example

Disabling animations is really a performance thing at the mo, so it's not really intended as a "don't load off-site gifs because they might be big" bandwidth saver. Might be able to add an option in though

Maigius posted:

Is there any way to search a supforum by tag?

not yet there isn't

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I just noticed that emotes don't show up in custom titles.

yeah the custom title area can have all kinds of stuff in it, our layout just strips out everything but the text. If we included images it would look a mess, could have like half an avatar in there and whatever else. It would be nice to handle things like donation titles and gang tags but it doesn't really fit into the layout we have

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Daztek posted:

It thinks you're on a tablet.

Settings -> Device and Navigation -> Thread Layout

Thanks! That was killing me.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Is there a reason why this app loses my place on a page so often when I click a Twitter link or otherwise allow it to lose focus? Is there another SA app that doesn't? It's a pain in the rear end to always be forced to scroll back to wherever I was.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

It doesn't do that for me, are you on the latest version? I seem to recall a few versions back some people had more of an issue with that kind of behavior. May also be your phone specifically, and one time I've fixed bad behavior by uninstalling and deleting all data, and reinstalling, so that may be worth trying too.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If your phone is either so crappy or running so many apps that it is very low on RAM that's going to happen. Close some poo poo

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Alright, I'll look into things on my end. Thanks.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I don't see it on the git issues page or the last 2 pages, sorry if this is commonly known:

Twitter embedded videos have been super hosed for me in the app for at least 6 months. They desync immediately and skip around in both audio and video.

Unrelated, and probably not app related,

I sometimes click on what I think are TIMGs from Imgur, and it takes me to imgur. When I then click again to maximize it's clearly been reduced to like 600x400 so any text is unreadable. I can't figure out how to get to the full sized image to read the text. This doesn't happen on my PC. Is there a way to tell imgur the app isn't mobile or something? Or is?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Twitter embeds are usually Twitter hq rate limiting the apps request against the API.

Losing your place on the page is when it swaps in/out of memory due to other stuff/gc on your phone. Lotta potential reasons for this one.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

marshalljim posted:

Is there a reason why this app loses my place on a page so often when I click a Twitter link or otherwise allow it to lose focus? Is there another SA app that doesn't? It's a pain in the rear end to always be forced to scroll back to wherever I was.

I get this if I switch to Firefox to see a tweet, them copy it to email or send via Hangouts, or both, then finally switch back to SA but my phone (Pixel 3 XL) has low RAM relative to its contemporaries from last fall. It's my main complaint about the phone, in fact, and this is one of the only cases I have of it unloading something so fast. If nothing else works you could simply mark the post in front of you as last read them switch apps.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Oddhair posted:

I get this if I switch to Firefox to see a tweet, them copy it to email or send via Hangouts, or both, then finally switch back to SA but my phone (Pixel 3 XL) has low RAM relative to its contemporaries from last fall. It's my main complaint about the phone, in fact, and this is one of the only cases I have of it unloading something so fast. If nothing else works you could simply mark the post in front of you as last read them switch apps.

The Pixel 3 uses a new and by most accounts significantly worse memory management scheme from prior Pixels. My Pixel 1 never drops things out of memory (in what is pretty much the exact same flow) and it has the same amount as the P3. Obviously there are a lot of variables, but in this case it's almost certainly the phone's software. Some say that excluding apps from battery optimization helps, so maybe try excluding Awful and see if that does anything for you.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Scaramouche posted:

Twitter embeds are usually Twitter hq rate limiting the apps request against the API.

Losing your place on the page is when it swaps in/out of memory due to other stuff/gc on your phone. Lotta potential reasons for this one.

For the last 6 months I have had to watch every twitter embedded video in an outside browser. I have gigabit internet. I really, really doubt this random limiting. I have not seen even one video, viewed at 2am, work correctly.

Edit: wouldn't other people be complaining? If it was impossible for anyone at all to watch twitter embeds?

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 4, 2019

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TheAardvark posted:

For the last 6 months I have had to watch every twitter embedded video in an outside browser. I have gigabit internet. I really, really doubt this random limiting. I have not seen even one video, viewed at 2am, work correctly.

Edit: wouldn't other people be complaining? If it was impossible for anyone at all to watch twitter embeds?

Well I just watched an embedded video in a tweet within the Awful app and while it's 4am and not 2am, I feel like it's enough to disprove your theory.

It's definitely Twitter's fault.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

The menu with the quote button won't open for me. All other touch menus work. I tried re installing. Anyone else seen this before?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

I mean Twitter doesn't really work for me with the awful app. Embedded tweets are ok but videos are not

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

ArmZ posted:

The menu with the quote button won't open for me. All other touch menus work. I tried re installing. Anyone else seen this before?

Update chrome

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

TheAardvark posted:

I have the Twitter embed issue with all Twitter embedded videos on every site I go to, it's not the app.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The Twitter rate limit isn't against you personally, it's against all users of SA. Wouldn't surprise me if we're up against it event at 4am with all the dirty euros they let in over my protests.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Karma Comedian posted:

Update chrome

thanks I should have thought of that :chome:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Every thread I open leads to the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure anime thread. This includes the link to this thread in the settings menu. Open this happens whether I open the thread from inside the app or if I follow a link in Chrome and use the app to open it. The thread has the correct name but all of the posts are about JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. The read count on the correct thread are updated as though I were looking at the correct thread.

Help.

Edit: I closed and reopened Awful and now all the threads are blank

2x Edit: I rebooted my phone and it's fixed now.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 6, 2019

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

YggiDee posted:

Every thread I open leads to the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure anime thread. This includes the link to this thread in the settings menu. Open this happens whether I open the thread from inside the app or if I follow a link in Chrome and use the app to open it. The thread has the correct name but all of the posts are about JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. The read count on the correct thread are updated as though I were looking at the correct thread.

Help.

Edit: I closed and reopened Awful and now all the threads are blank

2x Edit: I rebooted my phone and it's fixed now.

The only way this could be better is if you've never been to the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure anime thread and had no idea what it was prior to this happening.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

And if it was payola.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm having the same problem ArmZ had. The three dot menu to quote posts and other things doesn't work but only on my Amazon Fire HD 10, my phone is fine. I did update Chrome but no dice.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm having the same problem ArmZ had. The three dot menu to quote posts and other things doesn't work but only on my Amazon Fire HD 10, my phone is fine. I did update Chrome but no dice.

Because this is an Amazon device you'll need to update the webview however it is they do that.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I don't think it's possible unless they send an update down in the OS. Don't get a Fire HD if you want things to be easy or actually work.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Getting some wild :catdrugs: flickering when viewing a post preview on my moto g5s - anyone else had this?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don't think it's possible unless they send an update down in the OS. Don't get a Fire HD if you want things to be easy or actually work.

This. I have a Fire, webview updates are at the whim of the Amazon overlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm gay

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)