Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
On no longer seeing other empires fleet orders; could we get the ability to do so again as a relic/ascension perk/rare tech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

scaterry posted:

I messed up. The resource penalty behaves correctly. It's only the growth penalty that behaves strangely. I accidentally assumed they had the same problem, sorry for the alarm.

It's still not great though! Will poke Code.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

On no longer seeing other empires fleet orders; could we get the ability to do so again as a relic/ascension perk/rare tech?

Could be a feature of the Sentry Array megastructure (which I never build because late game performance is bad enough without the game having to also display the moves of every single fleet in the galaxy).

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Or maybe as part of (whisper it) an espionage system.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I had two caravan fleets squatting on my front lawn and they wouldn't loving leave. The beta patch apparently fixes this, so in celebration I've started a new game with the Sovereignty of Front Lawn. Xenophobic/Spiritualist/Pacifist with Inward Perfection and Agrarian Idyll.

The lawn is sacred. Xenos must stay off the lawn.

The Landscaper teaches us that the universe was created to be our lawn.

There are Xenos in the universe.

What a conundrum.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I still can't believe that was a bug, I honestly thought it was intended to work this way. Welp, back to working harder for my victories!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I am sad we can no longer divine an enemy fleet's destination by just looking at them - it was very helpful in avoiding the whack-a-mole warfare this game was infamous for in earlier versions.

I literally thought this was a new feature and was really excited about it. :smith: Can we at least have something like it added to a later sensor tech? Maybe the Listening Post? It doesn't make any sense not to be able to project a destination now that everything is hyperlanes. Perhaps an updating projection based upon where they are, although that might be tricky to code, but would be really freaking cool.

"Sir, based upon the course changes in the Butte system, we now think The Totally Not Vorlons are heading for Sirius!"

"Wait, no... Betelgeuse!"

Other random things:

- It would be really cool and good if some of the tool tips about robots mentioned that there is now a policy entry to give them rights, after a certain point. My AIs were close to revolting* before I changed it. I couldn't figure out how to not make them slaves anymore. It wasn't in the pop rights box. I finally had to look it up. This could be made more clear.
- I developed droids, and Synths and the pop were still called Robots. Is that right? Seems kind of rude.
- Are Encounter Suits a Thing? They should be A Thing.

*Well, of course they're revolting, someone made them look like Blorgs! :stat: :wal: :rimshot:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Uhh, when did the Diplomacy traditions go away?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Praying the beta patch will be merged in before our next MP session, so we can actually play it (MP is still unplayable on the beta patch :ohdear:)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Deuce posted:

Uhh, when did the Diplomacy traditions go away?

When you played a civ with civics that don't allow them.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

wiegieman posted:

When you played a civ with civics that don't allow them.

That would explain it. I got thrown by the fact that this discovery coincided with a beta patch

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Could be a nice addition to the Sentry Array actually. Once completed, in addition to vision you can listen in on enemy communications and determine their fleet orders. Add a countering effect to Enigmatic Engineering for the purposes of MP games.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Saros posted:

This just got me thinking about what a primitive civilisation developing on a ringworld would even think of space-flight. To get to space all you'd have to do would be climb the ringwall and jump off but presumably most of the mass in the system has been swept up to build the ringworld so there's not actually anything to visit.

Nah, why not drill down.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

BrandorKP posted:

Nah, why not drill down.

Like poking a hole in the bottom of your boat to get to the ocean, sure.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Saros posted:

This just got me thinking about what a primitive civilisation developing on a ringworld would even think of space-flight. To get to space all you'd have to do would be climb the ringwall and jump off but presumably most of the mass in the system has been swept up to build the ringworld so there's not actually anything to visit.

I'm pretty sure that a ringworld wouldn't have sufficient gravitational properties to hold their own atmospheres, so there would have to be some sort of barrier to keep stuff in. So you'd have to push past that, and then depending on how advanced their understanding of the universe was, Bad ThingsTM might happen.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

I'm pretty sure that a ringworld wouldn't have sufficient gravitational properties to hold their own atmospheres, so there would have to be some sort of barrier to keep stuff in. So you'd have to push past that, and then depending on how advanced their understanding of the universe was, Bad ThingsTM might happen.

They would spin to keep things from floating away

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I haven't had a chance to see if presapients are now fixed but it looks like the Subterranean Civilization event is still bugged - just had it fire on a new planet but it never showed up on the situation log and I can't research the planet. Guess I'll have to look for free labour else where...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Deuce posted:

Is there some compelling reason that the immediate action upon defeating an aggressor is to open our borders to them?

Complications posted:

Gameplay mechanics. A fleet caught inside a closed border despawns and spends years returning to your capital. This can be very inconvenient if there are faster ways and you have need of that fleet sooner.

That's not the only reason. I'm sure the vast majority of the thread have, at some time or another, gone to war to secure samples of interesting animals during the open borders period after (or similar).

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

They would spin to keep things from floating away

We're talking about a massive artificial structure with a radius equivalent to the habitable zone of its parent star. I'm pretty sure anyone with the know-how to build something like that without it being torn apart by gravitational forces born from its own mass would have figured out how to keep everything else in place.

The real trick is working out a simulated day/night cycle so the population don't lose their minds.

e: :goonsay:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PittTheElder posted:

Oh, that's easy: You just put a high wall on the outside of the ring. You launch your starships from the basement, where you have the orbital control jets.

Also I just found the Stimsis system. Well played.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Bloody Pom posted:

The real trick is working out a simulated day/night cycle so the population don't lose their minds.

Dyson Kite; 1/3d-1/2 of a full Dyson Sphere, rotating around the star to provide shade and harvest energy for the ring's homeostasis systems.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

LonsomeSon posted:

Dyson Kite; 1/3d-1/2 of a full Dyson Sphere, rotating around the star to provide shade and harvest energy for the ring's homeostasis systems.

Then you have days the length of the kite's orbital period, which will be some significant percentage of a year in the habitable band.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Does bombing worlds into tomb worlds not work anymore? I just bombed three worlds at Armageddon settings until everything was dead and nothing happened.

Also, coming down against the tech card system. 100 years in and I still haven't gotten level 2: forges, industry, entertainment, culture buildings.

Things I do have: level 5 missiles, level 4 guns, several rare techs. Hell yeah, love rng.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

really queer Christmas posted:

Does bombing worlds into tomb worlds not work anymore? I just bombed three worlds at Armageddon settings until everything was dead and nothing happened.

Also, coming down against the tech card system. 100 years in and I still haven't gotten level 2: forges, industry, entertainment, culture buildings.

Things I do have: level 5 missiles, level 4 guns, several rare techs. Hell yeah, love rng.

It did during my recent DE game. My path to purging organic life from the galaxy involved a lot of this because gently caress taking over that many planets with an army. Even when I had a planet cracker colossus I still used it in conjunction with just glassing a planet's surface.

I swear I'm a well balanced human being.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ice Fist posted:

It did during my recent DE game. My path to purging organic life from the galaxy involved a lot of this because gently caress taking over that many planets with an army. Even when I had a planet cracker colossus I still used it in conjunction with just glassing a planet's surface.

I swear I'm a well balanced human being.

Am I doing something wrong then? Turning worlds into tomb worlds is an easy way of terraforming for me, and three worlds staying 20 habitability instead of 80 sucks!!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
The Howling Vortex system, which I do not actually own, is repeatedly spewing free minerals and sometimes energy at me.

Surely nothing can go wrong here.

edit: It shoved like 5000 minerals at me over the course of a year or two and then closed. Okey dokey!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's not the only reason. I'm sure the vast majority of the thread have, at some time or another, gone to war to secure samples of interesting animals during the open borders period after (or similar).

In my case, the AI used it to colonize poo poo on my side of the border, including accessing a wormhole which exits on the other side of my empire. I'm sure that will never become tactically awkward.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Deuce posted:

Is there some compelling reason that the immediate action upon defeating an aggressor is to open our borders to them?
It's generally not a big deal, but I just had an otherwise cool game where my isolationist neighbors were being destroyed by a fanatical purifier on the other side of them, and I wanted to help out. Fortunately there was a chokepoint in their territory with an L Gate, and I controlled the L Cluster. As soon as the purifiers took that system, I attacked and created a buffer zone to protect my neighbor.

Well, as soon as I made peace thousands of ships started flying right past all my fortresses to attack my neighbor again.

I actually declared war on my dumb neighbor so I could occupy all their territory first (making sure not to engage their few remaining fleets). This protected them from instant annexation by the purifiers. It worked well until my neighbor surrendered to me. Even though my occupation was the only thing preventing the purifiers from taking everything. Soon all the purifier fleets which were deep inside my neighbor's territory started taking random systems that were no longer occupied by me. The border gore was horrific.

The whole thing is the first time I was that frustrated by forced open borders. Usually it's a sensible gameplay compromise, but it really hosed over what I was trying to do in that case.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

have you researched the techs that allow you to mine rare resources? you need those to unlock the level 2 building techs, as those buildings require rare resources to function

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 5, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah for some reason you need the rare resource techs before you can unlock anything that would use those resources.

But sometimes it is just the RNG dicking you over, I've gone more than a century without rolling the first level temple upgrade before.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I unlocked all the rare resource techs long ago. I've already got a stockpile of over 1k crystals and motes with over 5K gas. I cant use the gas because I do have level 2 research facilities, but I'm bleeding consumer goods like crazy because I can't figure out how to make a building bigger but I can figure out how to make experimental jump drives for civilian ships.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's true in general that the building upgrades need way higher weights, they're so important now.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Am I doing something wrong then? Turning worlds into tomb worlds is an easy way of terraforming for me, and three worlds staying 20 habitability instead of 80 sucks!!

I'd have two suggestions: 1. Just keep it bombing the planet. You'll get a notification once its complete.

2. It's a bug that's changed in the last patch or two and you're out of luck.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Eiba posted:

It's generally not a big deal, but I just had an otherwise cool game where my isolationist neighbors were being destroyed by a fanatical purifier on the other side of them, and I wanted to help out. Fortunately there was a chokepoint in their territory with an L Gate, and I controlled the L Cluster. As soon as the purifiers took that system, I attacked and created a buffer zone to protect my neighbor.

Well, as soon as I made peace thousands of ships started flying right past all my fortresses to attack my neighbor again.

I actually declared war on my dumb neighbor so I could occupy all their territory first (making sure not to engage their few remaining fleets). This protected them from instant annexation by the purifiers. It worked well until my neighbor surrendered to me. Even though my occupation was the only thing preventing the purifiers from taking everything. Soon all the purifier fleets which were deep inside my neighbor's territory started taking random systems that were no longer occupied by me. The border gore was horrific.

The whole thing is the first time I was that frustrated by forced open borders. Usually it's a sensible gameplay compromise, but it really hosed over what I was trying to do in that case.
Maybe the bad boy civics shouldn't get the open borders thing.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Splicer posted:

Only if they also got no truce timer. The whole point of open borders after a war is so that you don't end up completely blocked from expanding for years after a truce which would be worse for a total war empire than anyone else.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Splicer posted:

They should probably work like marauders where they are always hostile and you can't declare war on them, you just send fleets to attack them and take their space.

The AI would need to be set so that it doesn't try and attack them unless they share a border, otherwise they would never get anywhere. And probably give them a big buff to starbase defenses.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What happens if you're in involuntary peace with an empire and they attack someone you have a defensive pact or guarantee independence with? I don't remember this happening to me recently.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Splicer posted:

What happens if you're in involuntary peace with an empire and they attack someone you have a defensive pact or guarantee independence with? I don't remember this happening to me recently.

You get added to the war.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I'm probably missing something somewhere, but I'm trying to kill off an Industrial age society of snails and so far I've been able to bombard them to 10 pop which is the limit. I've already flagged them as undesirables for eradication. What am I missing to finish them off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'd like if you could end enforced peace early (and subcomponents like the open borders) for like 5 influence per remaining month + a disapproving frown malus from everyone, and if you do it too often you get assigned an otherwise no benefit total war badboy civic because no-one trusts you anymore.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 5, 2019