Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dabir posted:

Remember that the humans on Voyager were all told not to show emotion so that the aliens would stand out more.

To be somewhat fair to Voyager, the guest stars did generally turn in some decent performances despite the crap material they were working with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mokinokaro posted:

A lot of that was definitely directing though. A lot of the cast have done great outside of Voyager.

Some of them went on to do a lot of directing themselves too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dabir posted:

Remember that the humans on Voyager were all told not to show emotion so that the aliens would stand out more.

On the one hand, this does let Tuvok shine (amusingly an alien who does not show emotion) so that's good because Tim Russ is great but it also let Neelix just Neelix his way all over scenes he was in. That's bad. And while I am able to not think too much about how stuff works in my Star Trek if it's entertaining, Kes is just weird both from a background perspective and underacted.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

VanSandman posted:

Why can't we get DS9 fanfiction dammit.

Because most of the writers who codified DS9 went on to make Battlestar Galactica.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Arcsquad12 posted:

Because most of the writers who codified DS9 went on to make Battlestar Galactica.
Also Outlander.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Groovelord Neato posted:

by "not seth green" do we mean "the kid from critters"???

neelix wasalso in critters

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Looks like Three Arrows' channel is back with subscribers intact at least, but probably worth double checking if you lost it!

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Rare good extracredits upload.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCj8llyzfWo

Check out the likes and the comments don't look at the comments.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Baka-nin posted:

This reminds me of a time on the 4th of July many years ago where I was playing Day of Defeat Source, where I and a couple of other players got auto-balanced onto the Axis side, and someone in the voice chat said something along the lines of 'man, isn't it awkward that we're playing as the Axis on the 4th of July?'

...Does anyone still play Day of Defeat?

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
According to Steam Charts, there about 700 people playing right now, which is honestly more than I would have guessed. That game wasn't very popular even during peak popularity.

Who knows how many of those are actual humans.

Kiiiinda wanna reinstall it though.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Baka-nin posted:

A bunch of pearl-clutching nonsense. Nobody really gives a gently caress about what the teams are named in a multiplayer shooter and they certainly don’t cause people to identify with certain beliefs.

This is basically just the same old “violent games make people violent” stuff we’ve seen a thousand times from clueless pundits, just with the goalposts shifted. Now it’s not violence as a whole that’s the problem, but a very specific type of violence that will brainwash people in a very specific way… somehow.

What research has this guy done that led him to the idea that people are more likely to identify with Nazis or terrorists after playing as them in a video game? I’m going to guess he didn't do any, and that he pulled that conclusion right out of his rear end, because if he had any real data to back up his claims he would have shared it.

Also I find the "you didn't choose this" line especially funny because yeah, you did. You bought the game. I assume most people don't buy games completely blind so they would have known how it worked beforehand.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Wasn't extracredits overtly abusive to its employees?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Wasn't extracredits overtly abusive to its employees?

this is frankly disheartening to hear because i watched them constantly a couple years back

e: new voice guy... uhnmmmm no thanks

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Everything is propaganda or clickbait. Nothing is sincere, dont you goons know that?????

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I believe it was James who was the rear end in a top hat and he's still the main EC writer. Dan Floyd was the original narrator and I believe his new channel is called PlayFrame.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I believe it was James who was the rear end in a top hat and he's still the main EC writer. Dan Floyd was the original narrator and I believe his new channel is called PlayFrame.

Yeah it was James being the rear end in a top hat specifically.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I might have missed it getting posted, but BOTW did another Black Spine Edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brmz6uL1S0s

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

yeah ive been following dan's channel for a while and he doesn't upload nearly consistently enough. Dan seems like a cool guy.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

buddhist nudist posted:

According to Steam Charts, there about 700 people playing right now, which is honestly more than I would have guessed. That game wasn't very popular even during peak popularity.

Who knows how many of those are actual humans.

Kiiiinda wanna reinstall it though.

I sort of want to as well, though I don't remember playing it for very long when I first tried it, and with a player count that low, I imagine it's hard to find a good game or populated server.

Probably just better off playing Team Fortress 2.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 4, 2019

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I might have missed it getting posted, but BOTW did another Black Spine Edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brmz6uL1S0s

Jesus the first 14 or so minutes are the most intense poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bladeworksmaster posted:

the seamless transition from 'ha ha funny gimmick idea right?' to serious 'I HAVE to beat you at this dumb game for nothing' was the most realistic part of any youtube video.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

He also has NewFramePlus, which is a cool show about video game animation.

James turning out to be a dickhole was a bummer cause I liked their Extra History series. Not a huge fan of the new voice over either; he's not awful, but Dan has an enthusiasm that's really infectious.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It sucked when the Extra Credits stuff came out, but I was really happy to learn that Dan left because of it and started his own channel. He was the main reason I liked EC, so the fact that he was not only not the problem but willing to walk away from it all rather than continue working with abusers was quite nice. I hope he finds more success in his current venture than he ever did at EC. It certainly seems to be going well.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
im reading up about the extra credits thing. god drat this sucks, i could never have imagined james would be such an rear end in a top hat

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

bladeworksmaster posted:

it was more entertaining than the rest of the video imo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can believe it. Stare at the people long enough and you can see how pretty much anyone can be an rear end in a top hat

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I don't think any of those California Big Hinks are gay. They all exude the unearned confidence of straight men

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alpharad is a Good Boy, right? He's not self-destructed or milkshake ducked publicly yet, right?

He made a video where he and two friends trained a Donkey Kong Amiibo up to max level. By the end, they couldn't beat it even 3v1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0FoOZvENAA&hd=1

then they subjected the rest of the world to it, and the best word to describe it that isn't a synonym of "destroyed" is "shenanigans"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cISD0z-fXw&hd=1

:allears:

edit: alpharad might be better for a different thread, is there one for general LPers and such? more related to this thread, Thew put up a new review for backers, G1 Megatron. It's interesting to see his take on that goofy piece of poo poo as a person who never really dealt with it as a kid, because G1 megatron is a weeeeeeeird toy.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/new-review-g1-28141745

video also reminded me that there was another pre-G1 realistic handgun transformer, a Browning. Imagine if this had been Megatron instead.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 5, 2019

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Alpharad is a Good Boy, right? He's not self-destructed or milkshake ducked publicly yet, right?

He made a video where he and two friends trained a Donkey Kong Amiibo up to max level. By the end, they couldn't beat it even 3v1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0FoOZvENAA&hd=1

then they subjected the rest of the world to it, and the best word to describe it that isn't a synonym of "destroyed" is "shenanigans"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cISD0z-fXw&hd=1

:allears:

i never cared about smash but these are pretty entertaining and well edited, i eagerly await to see who will beat the dk amiibo

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

Alpha has an entire series where he commentates cpu tournaments and constructs wrestling style story arcs out of and it rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOlp8gqUIfM

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I think he's alright? The worst thing I know is that he's been on the Official Podcast and that's not even a first, they've had people who're totally fine like Jerma985 or Egoraptor and Ray Narvaez Jr and then there's the Boogie, Notch, Chris Ray Gun and Count Dankula episodes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I think he's alright? The worst thing I know is that he's been on the Official Podcast and that's not even a first, they've had people who're totally fine like Jerma985 or Egoraptor and Ray Narvaez Jr and then there's the Boogie, Notch, Chris Ray Gun and Count Dankula episodes.

The Official Podcast, cr1tikal’s long slow journey into chuddom. Shame too, because he was really funny and good until he stopped hanging out with cool people like Vinesauce and starting orbiting around alt-righties instead.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dovi posted:

Alpha has an entire series where he commentates cpu tournaments and constructs wrestling style story arcs out of and it rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOlp8gqUIfM
Yeah, his CPU tourney commentary series is a lot like VGCW, a series made by a british dude named Bazza at the dawn of Twitch, that had better storylines than actual wrestling. The character creator in the old WWE games was famously incredibly elaborate for the time, allowing for some shockingly accurate(relatively) depictions of video game characters of all sorts. He would make a huge roster and let them duke it out in CPU matches and then build storylines off of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVs1AyUnrh4&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InCQDKdVssg&hd=1

In one, Phoenix Wright, a serial jobber, suddenly started beating everyone he went up against, as well as multiple matches involving lookalikes who also beat their targets...and then it was revealed that through the power of the chaos emeralds, an evil phoenix wright - Phoenix Wrong, had summoned alternate universe versions of himself to the VGCW world to take over. And then, in the climactic battle between Wright and Wrong, he revealed his true identity...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O-KIQ0fbmY&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzLFBSYdFmI&hd=1

It's gloriously stupid and was a mainstay of my tuesday nights for a while. It was so drat fun because the AI was so broken that characters earned traits based on the busted moves they would try to do. Ash Ketchum was a terribly-made utter loser who had never won a single match, and then in a royal rumble he refused to die, taking out...I want to say like 17 challengers in a row? something insane like that? and because of that Bazza decided to revamp his design, and Ash evolved into...Red, who became a top tier babyface. Just tons of goofy, lovable stuff, and eventually Bazza had to move on to other things, but it was great fun while it lasted. The chat being in full hype mode and playing along added so much to it, and I'm glad most of the archives retain the chat scroll.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 5, 2019

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

RIP Gabe Newell's "inescapable" bear hug.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

VGCW really loses something out by not being there live. The chat captures some of it, but my God that was some incredible lightning in a bottle energy for a good while.

E: Alpharad sure seems like an okay guy as well. Sometimes his non-edited Plus channel gets a bit... strange, but I don't think there have been any major red flags.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

The only thing that makes me nervous about Alpharad is that he associated with WeeGee for so long, aka the guy that blatantly plagiarized that one Blue Yeti Mic review and who seems overall pretty edgy and chud-adjacent.

Alpharad seems to be distancing himself from WeeGee though which is smart move.

Edit: It was the subject of this bobvids video for reference
https://youtu.be/LUhdIsLKEvU

LeafyOrb fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 5, 2019

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

nine-gear crow posted:

The Official Podcast, cr1tikal’s long slow journey into chuddom. Shame too, because he was really funny and good until he stopped hanging out with cool people like Vinesauce and starting orbiting around alt-righties instead.

poo poo, serious? tbh his newer content hasn't really been my cup of tea, but is there a sum-up of the descent?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bee posted:

poo poo, serious? tbh his newer content hasn't really been my cup of tea, but is there a sum-up of the descent?

The short unofficial version of events is that about 2-ish years ago cr1tikal started doing a YouTube podcast with his friends called "The Official Podcast", where he had other big YouTubers on as part of a roundtable gabfest for shits and giggles. Things started out fairly innocuous with a slate of generally non-controversial guests and then as the show became more popular they slowly started having on a lot of shitbags and alt-right/alt-light personalities, and when called out on it on Twitter he basically said "fine people on both sides."

The most generous tl;dr read on the situation is that he's probably not an alt-right head himself, but he's totally cool with hanging around with them and signal boosting them.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 5, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Bee posted:

:centrism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

It's also the best Star Trek currently being produced.

Damning with faint praise.