Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

life is just a learning game.

Here in
Duckburg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Zedd posted:

According to rumors/early revieuws he is

Good call, was happy to see him in the new Spider-Man, which was a great movie and much better than I expected it to be.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cacafuego posted:

Good call, was happy to see him in the new Spider-Man, which was a great movie and much better than I expected it to be.

Agreed. Spider-Man beat my expectations. The Getty images video just set the tone early.

I was also very happy he ditched the nano suit for some low tech options for most of the film. NIGHT MONKEY!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Krispy Wafer posted:

Agreed. Spider-Man beat my expectations. The Getty images video just set the tone early.

I was also very happy he ditched the nano suit for some low tech options for most of the film. NIGHT MONKEY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQoDdifAvbI

actual spoiler edit The town that Spidey calls Happy from was it really called Buku Blunder Ville?

BaldDwarfOnPCP has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Jul 5, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

actual spoiler edit The town that Spidey calls Happy from was it really called Buku Blunder Ville?

I don't know it, but it sounded like a legimate Dutch town name. You are probably far off from the actual spelling.

It's isn't very realistic though that Peter would end up there. I imagine they would try to wake him before locking him up, and it would be a jail in a city where the train stops instead of seemingly random town.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Jul 5, 2019

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

'Beau coup blunder' = 'big fuckup'. It's a joke/quip.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Jumanji came up in another thread and I've probably rambled before but I like how it's basically one of the first video game movies that's actually good and in part because it's accurate to the spirit of video games, specifically a particular era; Jumanji turns itself into a video game in the prologue set in the late 90s, the early Playstation/3D era, and pretty much all the aspects of the game itself are accurate to around about that clumsy era in between old-school cliches and what we think of as a modern game. The interface is presented as a noisy 2D menu, there's a lives system, and the Jumanji 'inhabitants' have detailed designs but a limited set of reactions and responses in their roles, and there's what are clearly action setpieces with plot contrivances to justify them. Though it also has some adventure game elements with basically what amount to inventory puzzles and using a character's specific skills to solve a problem- which are tied nicely into the character development by making each character have to use a skill that's outside what they'd normally consider. (and in one case it doesn't work at all but they have fun trying) Also one character being clearly Lara Croft with the serial numbers filed off makes perfect sense for basically the mascot of both the genre and the era.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Cross posting from the "Why was your day awesome today" thread:

I just got pleasantly surprised by a really good movie that got my attention with it's box art, The Kid who would be King. It is a very thoughtful retelling of the King Arthur myth, and it takes the action and mythology very seriously while still keeping a sense of humour. The characters even use the properties of the sword in really clever ways, like sheathing it in a boulder when they need to not raise attention, so that no one else can take it, or using the Lady of the Lake as basically a storage locker. All the fights have a brilliant sense of peril, and strong swordplay choreography that prevents it falling into Home Alone-style hijinks and Morgana does a really good job being threatening, and Merlin also manages to feel powerful but not game-breakingly so.

The early scene where Lance betrays Alex and takes excalibur for himself has real tension to it as it's just straight up a real sword fight, and feel like one of the characters could get seriously hurt, and it avoids too much awkwardness by playing Merlin's mindcontrol spell very carefully - he uses it to get places or get things that he needs, but he never sends those characters into any danger. All the characters who fight know exactly what they are getting into and consent to the danger.

It's a very "now" movie as well in that the thing that strengthens the villain is basically implied to be brexit, or modern politics in general. Britain being a weak, leaderless (due ot parliament being a clusterfuck) mess with only idiots at the helm and the world falling into chaos, the story is less a restoration of the monarchy/literal king situation and more "This generation has noble souls that can take power and lead the world better". A general feeling of hope.

I was in a bad mood due to a stressful period in my life, but this really cheered me up.

Also Patrick Stewart plays Old Merlin (for most of the movie he's a young man as he ages backwards, but he can change into an adult form to make a point)

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Jul 7, 2019

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Jumanji came up in another thread and I've probably rambled before but I like how it's basically one of the first video game movies that's actually good and in part because it's accurate to the spirit of video games, specifically a particular era; Jumanji turns itself into a video game in the prologue set in the late 90s, the early Playstation/3D era, and pretty much all the aspects of the game itself are accurate to around about that clumsy era in between old-school cliches and what we think of as a modern game. The interface is presented as a noisy 2D menu, there's a lives system, and the Jumanji 'inhabitants' have detailed designs but a limited set of reactions and responses in their roles, and there's what are clearly action setpieces with plot contrivances to justify them. Though it also has some adventure game elements with basically what amount to inventory puzzles and using a character's specific skills to solve a problem- which are tied nicely into the character development by making each character have to use a skill that's outside what they'd normally consider. (and in one case it doesn't work at all but they have fun trying) Also one character being clearly Lara Croft with the serial numbers filed off makes perfect sense for basically the mascot of both the genre and the era.

Also the climactic showdown is solved with a mechanical exploit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also the climactic showdown is solved with a mechanical exploit.

I do wonder if that's part of the lesson, too. (Don't fear death/let your weaknesses paralyse you) I also like the overarching theme that follows on from the first movie and especially the cartoon that Jumanji is alive and has a personality, and it is spiteful, cruel and likes to think it's teaching you a lesson. Especially given being a video game it's obliged to have protagonists with a level of competence and agency, but specifically makes them as unintuitive to the players as possible. The strong jock is made the weakest and has to learn to support and communicate with others, the preppy girl becomes Jack Black and has to use the brains she takes for granted, and the shy nerds have to be confident in their physicality and take initiative.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mierenneuker posted:

I don't know it, but it sounded like a legimate Dutch town name. You are probably far off from the actual spelling.

It's isn't very realistic though that Peter would end up there. I imagine they would try to wake him before locking him up, and it would be a jail in a city where the train stops instead of seemingly random town.

According to my friend who is a severe alcoholic, waking up in a jail cell in a town you've never been before is not an unreasonable thing to happen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do wonder if that's part of the lesson, too. (Don't fear death/let your weaknesses paralyse you) I also like the overarching theme that follows on from the first movie and especially the cartoon that Jumanji is alive and has a personality, and it is spiteful, cruel and likes to think it's teaching you a lesson. Especially given being a video game it's obliged to have protagonists with a level of competence and agency, but specifically makes them as unintuitive to the players as possible. The strong jock is made the weakest and has to learn to support and communicate with others, the preppy girl becomes Jack Black and has to use the brains she takes for granted, and the shy nerds have to be confident in their physicality and take initiative.

The reboot feels a lot more like a sequel to the cartoon than to the Robin Williams movie, in fact. The game even works in the same overall way as in the show, rather than the original movie.

I'm okay with that, I remember really liking that show.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Hang on, there's a Jumanji remake?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah with The Rock and Jack Black and poo poo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sequel, it's a sequel. I know, hard to tell these days.

Jumanji really does seem like something you could make a franchise out of without any connection to the previous movies besides nods, especially given how the first movie starts. It's basically a horror movie franchise setup to be kid-friendly.

Zathura is also a spinoff and notable as a movie that only has four actual characters.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

bony tony posted:

Hang on, there's a Jumanji remake?

It's called Welcome to the Jungle and honestly, like a lot of Rock the Dwayne properties it's honestly really good.

it's not deep and meaningful and arty, but for what it is, it's really entertaining.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

It's called Welcome to the Jungle and honestly, like a lot of Rock the Dwayne properties it's honestly really good.

it's not deep and meaningful and arty, but for what it is, it's really entertaining.

It also looks like the follow up to that could be interesting as well with the change in 'roles' :D

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cleretic posted:

The reboot feels a lot more like a sequel to the cartoon than to the Robin Williams movie, in fact. The game even works in the same overall way as in the show, rather than the original movie.

I'm okay with that, I remember really liking that show.

Makes sense in that the cartoon often worked a lot like a video game, and had some weird bits where the world of Jumanji is artificial when you look behind the curtain, with the sun itself being a satellite of mirrors and many of the monsters being constructs. And poo poo gets really, REALLY weird when you start going deeper.

There's strong implications that Jumanji is basically a Hellraiser puzzle box that's playing nice.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

So I posted this on Reddit a couple days ago and realized that you guys would definitely appreciate this. I was watching Brendan Fraser's Mummy this weekend when I noticed something. Through the early movie they show Mr. Burns, one of the Americans, as needing glasses, to the point of being blind. They make mention of it like three times, like while they're playing poker, and later during the dig. He's the first victim of Imhotep, unable to run after losing his glasses. Imhotep takes his eyes and tongue. Soon after, Evie runs into Imhotep and he's immediately like "Anck-Su-Namun?"

Imhotep mistakes Evie as his lover because he has Mr. Burns's eyes, and now needs glasses. Just like Mr. Burns, he's now basically blind without glasses. You can even see Imhotep squinting at Evie and asking her questioningly if she's Anck-Su-Namun. He basically just woke up, doesn't know where he is, could be in the underworld, and sees who he thinks is his girlfriend.

It's not until later, after he's eaten a couple more people, that his eyes become better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKpNfOR9vF4&t=293s

I'll go one step further and say that the entire sacrifice of Evie/reincarnation of Anck-Su-Namun storyline is kicked off because Imhotep can't see. If he ran into someone else instead of Burns first, he would have had good eyes and immediately seen that Evie isn't his girlfriend. I realize this is kinda hurt by the second movie, because now he should remember Evie as a reincarnation of the Pharaoh's daughter, but as a standalone I think this works.

In addition, this might be why Beni survives initially, because Imhotep needs a guide to get anywhere in the beginning. Dude can't see. Beni speaking "the languages of the Slaves" simply indicates to Imhotep that he's useful, and can help him get to the others, who are on their way to Cairo.

MichiganCubbie has a new favorite as of 15:03 on Jul 8, 2019

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

A very BioEnchanted post.

Literally started reading this without checking the author, and halfway through I was like, "Heh, this reads like bioenchanted took a break from bargain bin video game reviews and is doing movies now."

And now I feel silly.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Inzombiac posted:

According to my friend who is a severe alcoholic, waking up in a jail cell in a town you've never been before is not an unreasonable thing to happen.
Embarrassingly enough, It is not. I once woke up under a car in a Honda dealership in Glendale. Also once in Tijuana.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Literally started reading this without checking the author, and halfway through I was like, "Heh, this reads like bioenchanted took a break from bargain bin video game reviews and is doing movies now."

And now I feel silly.

I have proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz4CBX-eR54

The animated intro to the movie, summarising the backstory/myth. I like the animation.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sequel, it's a sequel. I know, hard to tell these days.

Jumanji really does seem like something you could make a franchise out of without any connection to the previous movies besides nods, especially given how the first movie starts. It's basically a horror movie franchise setup to be kid-friendly.

Zathura is also a spinoff and notable as a movie that only has four actual characters.

I did not see Welcome to the Jungle but I was told that Alan Parrish carved his name into a tree somewhere so it solidifies that it is a direct sequel.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kramdar posted:

I did not see Welcome to the Jungle but I was told that Alan Parrish carved his name into a tree somewhere so it solidifies that it is a direct sequel.

Yeah they directly paid tribute to it (IIRC the line is 'this is his house, I'm just living in it') in a really touching way.

Like I said it was honestly really well done. For a schlocky summer blockbuster, it was a really, really GOOD schlocky summer blockbuster.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It was probably the best summer blockbuster I’ve ever seen that was released in December.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

oldpainless posted:

It was probably the best summer blockbuster I’ve ever seen that was released in December.

It doggedly hung around in theaters until May 31, it almost lasted until summer. It had a crazy long run at the box office after a slow start and fell just shy of making a billion dollars worldwide.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

And was one of many times goons saw the trailer and immediately went "this is a poo poo movie" without knowing anything else

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

And was one of many times goons saw the trailer and immediately went "this is a poo poo movie" without knowing anything else

Goons have poo poo opinions.

You could say that was a lovely Goon opinion, but it’s actually a Goon fact.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The trailer has The Rock in it so of course they were wrong.

People were stubbornly making excuses even after the glowing reviews came out too.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Len posted:

Seriously? I saw the trailer and thought it looked super fun.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I was wondering what movie you were talking about and then I discovered that The Rundown, a generically-named but otherwise excellent Rock action movie, was only called that in Australia, for some reason.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Memento posted:

I was wondering what movie you were talking about and then I discovered that The Rundown, a generically-named but otherwise excellent Rock action movie, was only called that in Australia, for some reason.

We're talking about Jumanji 3 which is the second movie called Welcome To The Jungle that The Rock has starred in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Rundown is pretty fun too though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The Rock has honestly not starred in any genuine stinkers that I'm aware of. Especially recently.

His appearance in the Mummy 3 notwithstanding, it's kind of hard to call that a starring role.

Even Rampage was super fun. Heck, even The Scorpion King was not without its merits, even if they were just the Rock and Michael Clarke Duncan kicking the crap out of each other.

(and it certainly FELT like a summer blockbuster lol)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I haven't seen Skyscraper yet to disprove your theory.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

They're all kinda dogshit movies. They also have the Rock, though, making them balance out to like 'yeah, it was alright' level.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

I haven't seen Skyscraper yet to disprove your theory.

Skyscraper disturbed me in the way they handled the ‘villains’ (if you can have a villain in a movie about a natural disaster). Their behavior didn’t justify their fates.

Otherwise it’s probably one of the best disaster movies in the last decade, but that list includes poo poo like 2012 and Geostorm so it’s a low bar.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Krispy Wafer posted:

Skyscraper disturbed me in the way they handled the ‘villains’ (if you can have a villain in a movie about a natural disaster). Their behavior didn’t justify their fates.
So, a spiritual successor to Twister then?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

The Rock has honestly not starred in any genuine stinkers that I'm aware of. Especially recently.

You haven't put enough thought behind this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

RandomFerret posted:

Here in
Duckburg

I just figured out why I have this song stuck in my head. This post is at the top of the page, and when the Awful App loads it shows the top of the page first for less than a second, before jumping to the first new post.

I've been subliminally ear-wormed.