Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Mordja posted:

Not sure, but I do know the trilogy was added to Steam fairly recently.

You've made me very happy this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mordja posted:

Not sure, but I do know the trilogy was added to Steam fairly recently.

Where is at? I did a search for Half-Quake, but nothing showed up.

Never mind, I found it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/67237

quote:

About this mod
Makes your guns scream!

Read Me TXT posted:

ScreamingWeapons 1.0
---------------------

This mod replaces all gunshots with aloona screaming and adds the Slavinator 9000 (It's just a very OP hunting rifle) into the game.

To install this mod simply move both "aloonascream.wav" and "ScreamingWeapons.esp" into your NewVegas Data folder.

Remove them if you want to uninstall the mod.

If i hosed anything up let me know on discord - Todd Howard#2511

Hope you enjoy :)

It's a esp, read me and a 70kb wav of a scream.

e; not sure what the gag is here but it seems pretty terrible.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 5, 2019

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Discendo Vox posted:

Have we actually discussed that series here? I really want to see an LP of them someday.

Half-Quake is okay, Amen fucks with you by the time it drops you in a village and Sunrise broke IcarusLiv3s in spirit.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

Half-Quake is okay, Amen fucks with you by the time it drops you in a village and Sunrise broke IcarusLiv3s in spirit.

I beat all three and i'll be honest the only part in Sunrise I was annoyed by was the chess game puzzle and the one jumping puzzle set in the single space room with the timed crusher jumping/crouching. Amen is childsplay compared to that poo poo.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Monster Hunter: Wiggler World

Zushio
May 8, 2008
This might be an okay place to ask now that I think of it. These aren't terrible mods per say, but certainly wierd ones.

I recall back in the day there was a trend of making levels in one of the Half-Life games that were essentially giant environmental puzzles. Like you could just do the level and it was an actual thing, but once you started poking and prodding at bits a bunch of new content would be revealed. The talk of Half-Quake reminded me actually.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Action Half-Life. Here's a neat article about it

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zushio posted:

These aren't terrible mods per say, but certainly wierd ones.

dictionary.com posted:

per say
adverb
a frequent misspelling of per se.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/per-say

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm per gay

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Danaru posted:

I'm per ge
FTFY

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Huh, learn something new every day. I see it both ways from time to time and thought they were interchangeable.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zushio posted:

Huh, learn something new every day. I see it both ways from time to time and thought they were interchangeable.
Yeah, it was a Latin phrase borrowed directly:

quote:

Borrowed from Latin per sē (“by itself”), from per (“by, through”) and sē (“itself, himself, herself, themselves”).
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/per_se

Interestingly, a prior misunderstanding of "per se" generated the name of the ampersand.

quote:

A mondegreen of "and per se and", meaning "and (the character) '&' by itself", which is how the symbol (&) was originally referred to in English. This formulation is due to the fact that in schools, when reciting the alphabet, any letter that could also be used as a word in itself ("A," "I," "O" and, at one point, "&") was preceded by the Latin expression per se (Latin for "by itself"). Also, it was common practice to add at the end of the alphabet the "&" sign, pronounced "and". Thus the end of the recitation would be: "X, Y, Z and per se and." This last phrase eventually became "ampersand", and the term was in common English usage by around 1837.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ampersand

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The Awful/Awesome Spelling & Grammar Thread: That is not how vowels work per se...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Haha oh god :negative:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

big sip

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's not for drinking!!!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ghostlight posted:

it's not for drinking!!!

Ah so its forbidden gamer girl bath water

*big sip*

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MariusLecter posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/67237

It's a esp, read me and a 70kb wav of a scream.

e; not sure what the gag is here but it seems pretty terrible.

Aloona is a cute Twitch/Youtube girl so nerds get weird over her.

I assume this is part of said "getting weird". (also I think she's slavic so, thus the gun?)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
This picture represents everything about modding. :nws:

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbDebihKbpo

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It took me a while to notice the honkers on the character.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fallout 4? Ew, should've been a New Vegas mod.
:goonsay:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Why do I get the feeling that's not a building but a poor presumably-crushed regular-sized woman with building-sized tits? :stare:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Not sure if this is the right thread but I am setting up Skyrim SE with my favorite mods and all are working but SPERG. I have all the dependencies as far as i can tell but the game just closes right away with SPERG enabled. anyone else run into this?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Panty Saluter posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread but I am setting up Skyrim SE with my favorite mods and all are working but SPERG. I have all the dependencies as far as i can tell but the game just closes right away with SPERG enabled. anyone else run into this?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787350

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

ah, thanks much :tipshat:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So it's time for some dumb mod drama, I guess.

So, CK2 mods! No, come back, it's not racist this time!

There's a mod to improve the genetics system in CK2. It works... interestingly. I was getting really annoyed by the popularity of this mod after my own play experience with it, so I did some science to see if I was crazy or not. See my experiments here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874093&userid=138316&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post496312361 TLDR: In a single generation, over half of all children had at least one genetic trait and up to three in nonsensical combinations even considering their parents. Two kids would be born from the same parents with completely different and weird trait combinations.

From the FAQ:

quote:

I'm seeing way too many/way too few characters of (this trait)!

I've done extensive testing as well as calculations to make sure that the occurrence of traits more or less matches the base game. Traits are perhaps a little more common (intentionally.) But nothing should stand out as too common or too rare. If that is the case report it here and I'll have a look! A polygene trait like genius should have the following distributions: 0.4-0.6%, 1.5-2%, 3.5-5% for traits genius, quick, and bright respectively.

This is the frequency that I have found in my playthrough.

I get negative traits too frequently! :(

The mod has been thoroughly tested and this is not the case. You can use this python script to check: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcxfecn3syezo0o/searchsaves.py?dl=0

Sometimes your family might start with horrible genes. This is an unlikely but possible scenario. If you dont want this to happen, there is a decision that you can choose in the first 25 years called 'normalize your genes.' This is available after the birth of your first child, and it will remove all recessive genes from your character.

I mean, I guess the things I am seeing with experimentation do not match with reality!

But whatever, it's just one mod, right? Wrong, HIP, one of the big gameplay overhauls (the only one currently fully updated) rolled it in! People using HIP are having the same results I did. Other people are telling them that they are wrong and it's perfect and their results are a thing they've somehow never seen and besides, everyone should have a bunch of random weird traits!

Basically, people are getting hilariously superior over it. It started with a person remarking how totally normal people were very often producing kids like this:

Notice how many of these are just "This didn't happen to me so you should do science and see how it is fine and will never happen." While talking to people who had this happen more than once.

quote:

The Anti-Genetics Wave is sweeping the forums and all I can do is laugh

quote:

"Wow, I've got some bad traits, and my kids were born with it too, so the whole world is full of people with these traits, just because my family with 5 living people has, so it's the majority in the world with thousands of characters, 30% of the characters certainly have these extra traits "
"drat, my character has the ugly trait, drat 3 of my 2 kids were born with it too" What? Is this just the gene going on, people with facial problems pass it on to their children, or now they think the father is ugly but not because of genes?

The extra traits are so insignificant compared to others that for me it becomes just cosmetic to have there, it only enriches the characters, of course some new ones give bonuses and others give ills, but where is now because such a character has one of these traits, short, comely then it's already the end of the world.

quote:

Actually, you are right. There is something 'wrong with the variance.' Its much more realistic.

The way the clubfoot trait works in vanilla.. once a family loses it, the gene is gone forever. And only comes back if they marry a clubfoot or the 0.5% birth chance happens again. As a consequence, clubfoots are spread throughout the world, in all families, with almost no pattern.

With this genetics system, clubfoot is actually rarer, but is more frequent in some families that carry the gene. The gene is most present in and around those families.

And I don't think it is 'a common complaint.' It is a loud minority. ​

As for trait redundancy, I think I talked about it already. The traits act as user feedback. If tiered traits are such a nuisance, why not also get rid of tall and quick? You don't seem to mind those. The mod works much, much better with these traits for obvious reasons. Some people just get rather laughably upset when a minor trait like delicate or homely, 'randomly appears', which can happen quite frequently but its not a big deal.

quote:

I can only talk by my own experience. I am not experiencing anything like what the OP of that thread describes. But I do expect some 30 or 40% of the population to be either Homely or Comely, Dim or Bright. I suppose that's part of the problem here, the expectations of the players regarding the prevalence of those intermediate traits being much lower than what they actually happen...

As for the image illustrating that thread, well, that's bad luck, I never came across anything like that in a game and trust me I am following closely these genetic traits as Dark Ages also uses them for the delayed genetic traits implementation.

Considering the words of the OP of that thread in regards to the picture showing someone with 4 bad traits, I am glad in real life I am just half an abomination, as I am both small (1,72m) and left handed!

And let me end by saying I would love to play as that girl as a ruler. Certainly it would be a unique way of relating with the game and imagining my own story.

quote:

I find it pretty crazy that anyone could actually prefer Paradox's hamfisted quasi-genetics system - where, for example, two genius parents have the same chance of producing a quick kid as two imbeciles

quote:

The ignorance in this quote is too much for me.

If you think the HIP team would add a module where 20% of the population has clubfoot into their brilliant mod, you are drunk.

The actual numbers from numerous, thorough, tests (Yes, TESTS, not exaggerated anecdotes) revealed that clubfoots were about ~0.4% or so, and dim was about 4%. Bright was the same as dim.

And as someone pointed out, freckles is a vanilla trait. Absentminded and Perceptive were HIP Vanilla traits.

The reasoning behind adding lower tier traits such as bright and dim is very sound. I would explain it, but I believe it was already explained, and I don't think you are interested anyway.

quote:

The submod helps the game make it more historical and realistic.

The HIP team adds whatever helps make the game more historical and realistic, thats why they included it.

If you prefer other things over historical and realistic, HIP is probably not for you.

The numbers or evidences you presented as being the problem of the mod doesn't seem to be right, i recommend you double check them.

I never got such a thing or traits after 100 years or more of playing.

Maybe you are looking mainly at your own dinasty getting the same bad traits.. well.. let me show you something

https://www.google.com/search?q=hab...z-LiAhUHJrkGHXwIB4EQ_AUIECgB&biw=1920&bih=920

The karlings were tall, the hapsburgs had weird chins and lips, the merovingians didnt have androgenic alopecia, and son on. Genes are strong.

AND MY PERSONAL FAVORITE

quote:

Greetings,

I wonder if OP is aware that 50% of the human population, by definition, is BELOW average intelligence. *Chuckles to self at obvious joke*

This is my favorite part of Ck2, I had the advanced module installed until I switched everything over to HIP, **AFTER** I was sure that the genetics module was fully integrated. The game is so much richer and more fun. Keeping a careful eye on **ALL* of the mainline personnel in your dynasty is a full time job. I recently had to plot to kill my Daughter's husband (she had her own Barony and had the nerve to get married without me performing a full genetics test!), because he was a moron named 'Hug'.

If anything, I would like to see the system radically expanded, so that if someone keeps marrying only people of Southern Dumbern over and over, the recessive genes start generating problems, all the way up to and including totally sterile men and women, and in a game "All about Cocks" (Thank you Lord Paramount Bronn) that would REALLY get people's attention!!

Another important feature would be mutation, and weights on them to affect both the main, secondary and non-important (comely) traits. This could be expanded radically so say, for example, someone is a part of an Alchemist Society, and they drink mercury or some such medieval nonsense, there is, possibly, an affect on their offspring.

TL;DR Genetics is a real science, you are not a Genius IRL, and the genetics module in HIP is awesome, and the mod authors should be awarded 3 women/men/enbys of their choosing.

Yours in Genetic Determinism Plasma,
Star*Dagger

[Seriously wondering if OP believes genetics are real, but will not delve into that vat of metaphysics]

yeah dude, we don't believe in genetics, that's why the whole world being a genetics timebomb bugs us.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's funny how someone can use a smug "don't you know half the world is below average intelligence" statement to justify why a trait that's meant to represent EXCEPTIONAL stupidity should be so common. It's like they don't seem to understand that the whole point of the traits system isn't just "this person has this attribute". It's "This person was so famous for having this attribute that people still remember it centuries later".

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Please explain this image for those of us whose understanding of CK2 amounts to total and utter confusion.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 9, 2019

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zushio posted:

Please explain this image for those of us whose understanding of CK2 amounts to total and utter confusion.

The icons with the blue hearts represent negative genetic traits - things like "clubfooted" or "weak" (green are positive ones, like "genius" and "strong"). In the base game the way they work is that there's a very small chance that someone will just be randomly born with them (something like 0.1%), otherwise there's a 15% chance per parent that has one to inherit them (so if both parents have "weak", any children they have will have a 30% chance to also be weak). What this means is that in the base game, most characters don't have any of these traits at all. Characters with FOUR are so improbable you are unlikely to ever see one in hundreds of hours of playing (there are a couple of special events that will specifically generate characters with preset combos of 3, but it's easy to spot them and filter them from the results).

What this mod has done is managed to take that highly improbable scenario and apparently make it common enough that people are seeing it multiple times within a single game.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zushio posted:

yeah sorry, Cheshire's right. The purple hearts are bad genetic traits, the green hearts are good genetic traits. When I tried the mod, I wanted the way they passed down to make more sense and not be quite as random as it is. Instead, it did the opposite and made it absolutely insane.

By the way, two of those traits are for the same thing. The question mark is "absent-minded" and the head with question-mark is "slow." They are two different types of dumb at once. They are a matryoshka doll of thickness.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I mean, I have managed 3 bad traits on a child before in vanilla, but that was an intentional breeding program to try to ruin a dynasty, so slightly different circumstances

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Thanks. I understood the idea, but not how to read the image. Maybe this could be work in to a Goonies TC. Every family ends up with Sloth after a few generations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's funny how someone can use a smug "don't you know half the world is below average intelligence" statement to justify why a trait that's meant to represent EXCEPTIONAL stupidity should be so common. It's like they don't seem to understand that the whole point of the traits system isn't just "this person has this attribute". It's "This person was so famous for having this attribute that people still remember it centuries later".
It's extra funny because it's also wrong. Half the world is below the median for human intelligence, which is something completely different altogether and in fact doesn't even have to be anywhere near the actual average.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's called average intelligence not because it's an average of scores but because the majority of people are of it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Midnight Voyager posted:

They are two different types of dumb at once. They are a matryoshka doll of thickness.

i feel attacked

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Enough of all this nonsense about smart-looking jeans. Check this out:

https://twitter.com/MoArtis/status/1148319047907336193

https://www.reshdp.com/re3/

:monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

It's called average intelligence not because it's an average of scores but because the majority of people are of it.
Yeah, but that's neither what the guy means nor the "by definition" meaning of 'average.' I figure if he's gonna be a smug jackass about other people's understanding of statistics, he really ought to get at least that much right.