Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

I forgot how much the Monitor looks like Obama.

You should see the Earth where superman and other major heroes are black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

nunsexmonkrock posted:

So --- if Nora pixied away - why is her diary still there? Time fuckery I guess.
The speedster-language is unaffected by changes to the timestream, which explains why the writing in the book didn't disappear or change. The book itself was still there, so it would appear that writing in that language on an object must also protect the object, since you can't have a message without a medium. By that logic, just take Nora to a tattoo parlor and have any random phrase in speedster-script permanently inscribed onto her skin. Bam, now she's immune to paradoxes, and they're free to do whatever.

Also, someone mentioned how useful it would be for Barry to learn surgery so that he could give people first-aid at super-speed. Yeah, that would be useful, sure. What would be even easier would be if they just remembered that he and XS can lend speed to people, and just have the already trained Caitlin do it. Literally anyone with any critical skill at any time could be sped into the place and then lent speedforce to handle whatever their particular skillset is needed for. Instead they used it as a central idea in one episode where there was a bomb going off, then... forgot.

Barry's Kryptonite is remembering what powers he already learned that he had.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Robot Hobo posted:

Also, someone mentioned how useful it would be for Barry to learn surgery so that he could give people first-aid at super-speed. Yeah, that would be useful, sure. What would be even easier would be if they just remembered that he and XS can lend speed to people, and just have the already trained Caitlin do it. Literally anyone with any critical skill at any time could be sped into the place and then lent speedforce to handle whatever their particular skillset is needed for. Instead they used it as a central idea in one episode where there was a bomb going off, then... forgot.

A lot of stuff in the show is very stupid but the "speed lending" thing only really worked for like a few minutes of adjusted time before the person started to over heat and lose serious concentration. Even other speedsters couldn't keep up that level of speed for very long. Caitlin would have to work pretty fast to do any kind of surgery, and would start to lose her composure relatively quickly which seems not great in that type of situation.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Guy A. Person posted:

A lot of stuff in the show is very stupid but the "speed lending" thing only really worked for like a few minutes of adjusted time before the person started to over heat and lose serious concentration. Even other speedsters couldn't keep up that level of speed for very long. Caitlin would have to work pretty fast to do any kind of surgery, and would start to lose her composure relatively quickly which seems not great in that type of situation.

Worth experimenting with though. Like, could they stay longer at a slightly lower speed? That episode had them going basically as fast as possible, but if you can perform dangerous surgery in even half the time then that's got to reduce the risk.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Worth experimenting with though. Like, could they stay longer at a slightly lower speed? That episode had them going basically as fast as possible, but if you can perform dangerous surgery in even half the time then that's got to reduce the risk.

Yeah considering they were going fast enough to slow an explosion down to the speed of an asmatic slug, then brought normals in for a few minutes, temp speeding up someone 20 times should be doable for a long period of time.

As always Barry being as fast as plot is only the third worst thing about this show, after barry forgetting he even has speed and characters being dumb as bricks.

Overall I'm tiring of the Arrowverse shows.
I found this season a real slog to get through, probably just as bad as Savitar season.
Arrow has been better, glad they have a known ending.
Supergirl has been generally good.
Legends is too patchy for me right now. Some good bits but I think it's suffering for having too many characters and spliting them up over A,B,C and even D plots. Plus Gary and Mona are probably 2 of the most obnoxious characters ever created on TV

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They should have dumped Gary and Mona into hell while they had the portal open.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mr Beens posted:

Yeah considering they were going fast enough to slow an explosion down to the speed of an asmatic slug, then brought normals in for a few minutes, temp speeding up someone 20 times should be doable for a long period of time.

As always Barry being as fast as plot is only the third worst thing about this show, after barry forgetting he even has speed and characters being dumb as bricks.

Overall I'm tiring of the Arrowverse shows.
I found this season a real slog to get through, probably just as bad as Savitar season.
Arrow has been better, glad they have a known ending.
Supergirl has been generally good.
Legends is too patchy for me right now. Some good bits but I think it's suffering for having too many characters and spliting them up over A,B,C and even D plots. Plus Gary and Mona are probably 2 of the most obnoxious characters ever created on TV

Basically :same:

I basically completely lost interest in LoT after it came back from the break. Which is a shame since it was pretty good before that.

This season of the Flash was just dire. I'm still chuckling that Thawne just let everyone live after telling them he would kill them and went back to his home planet after Barry and Nora sped off.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 28, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I felt like i had to force myself to watch any of them this year except for LoT. Meanwhile Titans and Doom Patrol came out of nowhere and were both far more enjoyable (especially DP).

I completely fell off Black Lightning.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Xelkelvos posted:

You should see the Earth where superman and other major heroes are black.

This one?

Also, is this thread also cool for general DC show chat? Or is there another one I'm just not seeing?
NM, just found it.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 28, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

They should have dumped Gary

Boooooo! :argh:

quote:

and Mona into hell

acceptable. :)

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Robot Hobo posted:

The speedster-language is unaffected by changes to the timestream, which explains why the writing in the book didn't disappear or change. The book itself was still there, so it would appear that writing in that language on an object must also protect the object, since you can't have a message without a medium. By that logic, just take Nora to a tattoo parlor and have any random phrase in speedster-script permanently inscribed onto her skin. Bam, now she's immune to paradoxes, and they're free to do whatever.

She asked the artist for it to say “Unity”, but they scan it with the computer and it actually translates to This house is bitchin’.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Flash fell apart so hard after a decent start. :(

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I dropped off of Flash at the end of season 3 but had to check in to see if things were improving. I guess I could say I'm both mildly disappointed, yet comforted. I hope the rumors of half the supporting cast bailing are true and they're forced to do focus on developing new characters and relationships than more half baked season long villain plots.

I also spent both too much and not enough time on this edit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Grant's showing his butt off on Instagram.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Quite a flash.

Is he vaping, too?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Feenix posted:

Quite a flash.

Is he vaping, too?

Probably.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched the first episode of S5 on Netflix, and I forgot that Nora drops the bomb about King Shark vs Gorilla Grodd. I guess the writers were planning that episode for a while.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Probably since season one I’m sure.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So since I've been re-watching the last season of The Flash since it's up on Netflix now, along with the other CW Superhero shows, and I just realized that all 3 shows that did the crossover this year have people that are close to their respective hero die in a horrid fashion. Arrow has Oliver's half sister that gets put down by a gang that she was using as leverage against Oliver, Barry literally loses his daughter in such a way that she no longer exists anymore, and Kara has her evil twin that was born from a mythical element from her home planet literally disappear while trying to protect her from Lex goddamn Luthor.

These shows may seem kind of light, but they have some horrible endings, man.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

...Barry literally loses his daughter in such a way that she no longer exists anymore, ...
[/quote]

Speedsters never stay "never existed". Nora is in Speed Force hell, which is like regular hell, but doesn't have now chill Vandal Savage or giant jenga.

Speaking of Nora, I just started watching Black Sails on hulu and it turns out when she's not written in the most annoying way ever* she''s a great actress!

*To be fair to her this last season it felt like the writers were trying to make everyone as loving annoying as possible.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

8one6 posted:

Speedsters never stay "never existed". Nora is in Speed Force hell, which is like regular hell, but doesn't have now chill Vandal Savage or giant jenga.

Speaking of Nora, I just started watching Black Sails on hulu and it turns out when she's not written in the most annoying way ever* she''s a great actress!

*To be fair to her this last season it felt like the writers were trying to make everyone as loving annoying as possible.

Actors act to the Brief. Her job was to portray an adult toddler and by golly she did her job really, really, well.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Actors act to the Brief. Her job was to portray an adult toddler and by golly she did her job really, really, well.

Sometimes I wonder if the writers even knew how old she was supposed to be, since they seemed to purposely not address it. Like they were just waiting for the footage to come back and how it felt before committing to an exact age and backstory.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

oh jay posted:

Sometimes I wonder if the writers even knew how old she was supposed to be, since they seemed to purposely not address it. Like they were just waiting for the footage to come back and how it felt before committing to an exact age and backstory.

Well they must have had some idea, because the writing explicitly makes her a Junior CSI; which means she's a recent University graduate, which places her in her early 20s. They just decided to make sure she never once behaved like someone whose age could be counted with double digits.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They do it on purpose cause when you’re putting on teen drama you don’t want to take people out of the show and wonder how these 30 year olds are trying to pretend they’re 18. They never say Barry or Iris’s ages either. I wonder who the show demographics are.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

You can guess at Barry and Iris’s age from the flashbacks to Barry being a kid; and the fact that they were graduates with jobs when the show started; and now it’s 5 years later.

I hate 30 year olds pretending to be teenagers; but I’ve learned to live with it. I could deal with that if that was what Nora was; but she was a 30 something playing a 20 something character who behaved like a 5 year old.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Lord Bude posted:

I hate 30 year olds pretending to be teenagers; but I’ve learned to live with it. I could deal with that if that was what Nora was; but she was a 30 something playing a 20 something character who behaved like a 5 year old.

Sounds like her progression into childhood is complete, with time travel and everything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope she's never available to come back and they replace her and then suddenly she's available and then we have the war of Barry's alternative future daughters and Norah gets sent back to speed hell but this time they get to keep the other daughter as an extra twist of the knife.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

So is not spelling Nora correctly just your way of showing how little you care for the character, or what?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's how my aunt's name is spelled so the TV character that I obviously hate can get hosed.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

It's how my aunt's name is spelled so the TV character that I obviously hate can get hosed.

Just makes you look like a moron who can't spell.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Nora account spotted.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Let's just hope Nora is dead dead like Ronnie and not sorta-dead like Snart.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Just makes you look like a moron who can't spell.

Oh okay go gently caress yourself right back at ya.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What is confusing is you have Nora Allen on this and Nora Darkh on Legends.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

What is confusing is you have Nora Allen on this and Nora Darkh on Legends.

Or as we call them round these parts, Bad Nora and Good Nora.

Seriously, Legends Nora is awesome.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Boooooo! :argh:

acceptable. :)

:same:

8one6 posted:

...Barry literally loses his daughter in such a way that she no longer exists anymore, ...

I trust you were properly introduced to blackbeard?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I kinda like how "Run, Barry, run." became a thing they kept using from the pilot.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

SardonicTyrant posted:

I kinda like how "Run, Barry, run." became a thing they kept using from the pilot.

Which reaches its natural conclusion when a Legend yells it at a young Barack Obama as he tries to escape from a Gorilla Grodd attack.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like the thread title should be "Barry should get a vasectomy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted: