Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Everything is true, even the falsehoods. Especially the falsehoods.

Secret History ahoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What would have happened in the next round had you (spoiler about an alternate ending) ascended together with Caro?

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
"Cat Caro Knows The Way", the posters say. Cat Caro knows many ways, perhaps even the way around death itself. Secret Histories/Schrodinger's Cat.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Yeah wasn't there some other guy who died very publicly but showed up again a few days later to keep being weird? His name will come to me.

Tupac?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Fat Samurai posted:

What would have happened in the next round had you (spoiler about an alternate ending) ascended together with Caro?

I considered pursuing that but decided early on not to go for it unless the first step happened without my own intervention.

Back at the very start it was my intention to set up Cat to be a potential POV character for the Apostle playthrough as I wanted to have some continuity, but there were a lot of options that sprung up as the narrative flowed so I didn’t consider Cat to be the only option. I haven’t entirely decided how to do the Apostle narrative at this stage, it might be from Cat’s POV (if she is alive), Clifton’s POV (Cat being alive doesn’t rule this out), both or...some other way. Depends on what flows from the screenshots.

I’ll leave the vote open until tomorrow, expect the first update around the start of next week.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 3, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do it from kates point of view

"Dear diary, my idiot loving cultists kept loving up so I inflicted even more fascination on them in order to self-sabotage enormously"

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Yeah wasn't there some other guy who died very publicly but showed up again a few days later to keep being weird? His name will come to me.

Yeah, but that guy doesn’t have Lantern, he has Knock.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Yessod posted:

Odin always seemed like a lantern/edge sort to me though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Lone Badger posted:

it took me way too goddamn long to get this :doh: :golfclap:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Junpei posted:

Secret History!

Couldn't Cat return as a Voiceless Dead or something?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yessod posted:

Seven were his wounds, as seven are the doors of the Mansus. But as in our map, only five doors open to the mortal world (and there are five Histories). Where, then, lie the other two?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Ciaphas posted:

it took me way too goddamn long to get this :doh: :golfclap:
Oh my god. As it were. I just got it while reading your post... :doh: :golfclap:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/cultist-simulator

It's on sale on the humble store for the next four days if anyone was on the fence.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Saros posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/cultist-simulator

It's on sale on the humble store for the next four days if anyone was on the fence.

It's still free via Twitch Prime all month

https://twitter.com/TwitchPrime/status/1145735102628020224

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pumpinglemma posted:

Oh my god. As it were. I just got it while reading your post... :doh: :golfclap:

there is a Knock book about this. it was featured prominently in an update.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Will likely not have access to DLC if that matters for you.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Okay, vote closed, Secret History wins out. Cat survived, somehow. perhaps the fact that the final page of the diary was somehow written after Kate ascended is evidence of tampering. Perhaps the next book is from a different history. Maybe it’s not the same Cat.

As previously mentioned this doesn’t necessarily mean Cat is the POV character, just that she is alive. Our next book is The Reflections of Hypatia, a work long thought lost.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
So I tried this game and... the lore is great, but the gameplay is miserable.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I am very happy to have found this LP, because while I really wanted to enjoy this game, it was just another rather harsh reminder that while the various people from Fallen London are really quite good at lore and mystery, their attempts at actual gameplay make me bored and annoyed
I honestly loved Fallen London but every game that spun off from there seems to just take the approach "What if instead of being able to click a button to see cool lore, we made the player do something long and annoying and repetitive?"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah I adore what I've seen of the writing in all their games but the games themselves are definitely not for me.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Yessod posted:

Actually, I think you'll find he has Grail.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

CountryMatters posted:

I am very happy to have found this LP, because while I really wanted to enjoy this game, it was just another rather harsh reminder that while the various people from Fallen London are really quite good at lore and mystery, their attempts at actual gameplay make me bored and annoyed
I honestly loved Fallen London but every game that spun off from there seems to just take the approach "What if instead of being able to click a button to see cool lore, we made the player do something long and annoying and repetitive?"

I agree with this except the part where you seem to feel Fallen London doesn't do this. I was so hopeful that when they did non-browser games they could get away from long carousel grinds and energy mechanics and deliver the lore goodness in a more candy-like wrapper and...then they just found other ways to be tedious and kinda janky. :/

I grant that there's less actual effort and attention involved in the tedium in Fallen London.

(I do love it despite this, and have played tons of it to the point where I've fallen away because I mostly can't find anything interesting to do outside of the Exceptional Stories. But the grind is real.)

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

malkav11 posted:

I agree with this except the part where you seem to feel Fallen London doesn't do this. I was so hopeful that when they did non-browser games they could get away from long carousel grinds and energy mechanics and deliver the lore goodness in a more candy-like wrapper and...then they just found other ways to be tedious and kinda janky. :/

I grant that there's less actual effort and attention involved in the tedium in Fallen London.

(I do love it despite this, and have played tons of it to the point where I've fallen away because I mostly can't find anything interesting to do outside of the Exceptional Stories. But the grind is real.)

This is true but tbh in Fallen London the grind was just clicking, if you have to do a hundred clicks to see the cool thing that's a very small amount of effort. In Sunless Sea you still have to do a hundred things but that thing is staring at a boat as it very slowly trundles across the entire world and back again, and at the end of it you get the one or two sentences you wanted to see

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

CountryMatters posted:

This is true but tbh in Fallen London the grind was just clicking, if you have to do a hundred clicks to see the cool thing that's a very small amount of effort. In Sunless Sea you still have to do a hundred things but that thing is staring at a boat as it very slowly trundles across the entire world and back again, and at the end of it you get the one or two sentences you wanted to see

FL was also hobbled by being F2P and thus it had waiting gameplay+P2W options embedded.
The real rear end was having time-sensitive hidden storylines that you had to purchase, like becoming a serial murderer or riding a wheel at a carnival.
NB: the problem was that if you failed to take the option when presented you would be locked out of it more or less forever, which when it comes to real money is an issue.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
Also because Fallen London is a (vaguely multiplayer) browser game while you might only have to do a hundred clicks to see the next bit of cool lore, you are arbitrarily forced to perform those hundred clicks spread out over a period of multiple real life days. At least with Sunless Sea if you want the next bit of lore enough to be willing to spend time grinding, you can. As a person who can't even watch weekly TV shows without losing interest, I played literally 2 candles of Fallen London before I determined it wasn't for me, while I burnt through the entirety of Cultist Simulator in a series of consecutive sittings. Then they started releasing more content for Cultist Simulator and I found I didn't care enough to go back, even though I would have happily devoured said content if it had been there when I'd been into playing the game.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think I must be a freak because I found the experience of playing Sunless Sea to be a very relaxing one because of how slow it was. What put me off Cultist Simulator at first was how all the short timers made it hard to sit back and enjoy the ride without having to constantly hit the pause button.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Reveilled posted:

I think I must be a freak because I found the experience of playing Sunless Sea to be a very relaxing one because of how slow it was. What put me off Cultist Simulator at first was how all the short timers made it hard to sit back and enjoy the ride without having to constantly hit the pause button.

Bet you're looking forward to book of hours then!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Maugrim posted:

Can’t wait!

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Reveilled posted:

I sometimes play Sunless Sea with my gf, and i read all the text and do voices and stuff. I find the slowness and quiet to be really charming and relaxing. Sunless Skies, which is pretty good otherwise, is too loud and fast for that kind of experience.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Maugrim posted:

im the completely unconvincing shush gesture

"quiet", grins the weird librarian

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Frankly, given their track record, I am honestly wondering how they'll manage to introduce some completely frustrating gameplay element that will decisively outweigh any improvements it has versus cultist simulator.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

• FEATURE: introduced "stricting" for book catalogues. players running for more than 180 seconds without completing "arranging inventory" minigame will suffer from "poor cataloguing" debuff, and eventually death.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hey Reveilled will you do another standard play through before the newgame+?

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

So I've owned this game for a while, felt motivated to play for the first time last night.

Pointedly avoided Lantern cult, am now juggling injuries and sickness repeatedly while living on 1 coin that gets eaten as I make a new one.

Unsure of what I should really be doing but it's interesting! Looking forward to more cult stuff here, and I've seen the thread talk about Dancer and Priest, but any opinions on the newest DLC?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Req.Martyr posted:

am now juggling injuries and sickness repeatedly while living on 1 coin that gets eaten as I make a new one.

something something SOCIOECONOMIC COMMENTARY something something

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I wouldn't worry about DLC until you win a vanilla victory and decide you want more. The DLCs are cool but figuring out how to win a DLC victory really requires you to understand the game mechanics.

To get out of sickness / injury spirals I highly recommend you start by improving your health. You can't get injured at work once you work with A Hardened Physique.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Req.Martyr posted:

So I've owned this game for a while, felt motivated to play for the first time last night.

Pointedly avoided Lantern cult, am now juggling injuries and sickness repeatedly while living on 1 coin that gets eaten as I make a new one.

Unsure of what I should really be doing but it's interesting! Looking forward to more cult stuff here, and I've seen the thread talk about Dancer and Priest, but any opinions on the newest DLC?

I would advise making money faster. Tips in spoiler. If you study your vitalities together, your improved strength skill is faster and less chance of injury. Luckily manual labour makes vitality too, so it doesn't take too long usually. Or work with Reason to do some office work. Painting can be cool, but is less reliable.

Priest and Ghoul are their own curious things. Cool, but I'd say advanced play. Ghoul especially feels more like an Apostle run without the added threats those have.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

• FEATURE: introduced "stricting" for book catalogues. players running for more than 180 seconds without completing "arranging inventory" minigame will suffer from "poor cataloguing" debuff, and eventually death.

Dewey Decimal System
Knock 7 Secret Histories 20

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Tylana posted:

I would advise making money faster. Tips in spoiler. If you study your vitalities together, your improved strength skill is faster and less chance of injury. Luckily manual labour makes vitality too, so it doesn't take too long usually. Or work with Reason to do some office work. Painting can be cool, but is less reliable.

Painting has been made even more unreliable with changes lately; there seems to be an invisible cooldown that reduces the payout magnitude if you spam it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah painting for money blows now and I hate it, it's a dumb change that just extends the grind for no benefit. The best way to make money now is selling spintria from commissions, but that requires you to know some lore, so you need to spend a little startup cash at moreland's to get it going.

Very early game if you don't have any legacy jobs like the hospital or police work, you're probably best off spamming menial work because you want to get your health up ASAP anyway so you don't die from a poorly-timed season of sickness. Spamming menial work and studying health floods you with Vitalities, so upgrading your health is pretty quick, and every time you increase your Physique card you can menial work 5 seconds faster. At 45 seconds per Funds you can at least slowly pull ahead of the money timer, and while you're doing this you can spam talking about your starting lore to find acquaintances and patrons.

If you have the Dancer DLC however, once you find Sulochana you're set for money, since you can dream your temptation + passion to turn it into a Sensation temptation, talk to Sulochana to turn it into a Change temptation, use the change temptation to get a job dancing at the Ecdysis club. This job never times out no matter how long you ignore it, you can keep the job even if you swap your temptation to something other than Change, and every time you get a restlessness you can dance with it to both remove the restlessness and get money. Sometimes you get a spintria instead of funds from this job, so you can sell those for tons of money. Selling spintria from dancing is by far the fastest early game way to make money from your work verb, as fast as commissions, but requires no lore.