Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

MonkeyLibFront posted:

As someone who enjoys the CM games I'm looking at the Graviteam range of games, with 85% off should i go with Tank Warfare? I'm really looking for something that's an in-between CM Normandy and HOI and with SD2 being full price I'm looking for a similar fix of a dynamic campaign and I've heard generally good things.

I mean, I am the odd man out... at 85% it might be worth a go, but as someone who plays and likes CM games let’s get two things out of the way:

1. Graviteam games are not the same as CM games, you have much less fine control over what units do; and

2. Coming from CM, where the UI is old, but intuitive, it literally took me 20ish hours to just “get” the Graviteam UI—and I still rarely play these games just because I hate the UI so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
i rebought victory at sea pacific during the sale and i can confidently say that it is playable now. the ai is your typical braindead grog ai but it exists and most of the bugs seem ironed out. hits that sweet spot between arcade and sim that i was looking for in a pacific strategy game.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892859&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Field of Glory Empires op is up! Go vote for a nation for me to ruin!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ZombieLenin posted:

I mean, I am the odd man out... at 85% it might be worth a go, but as someone who plays and likes CM games let’s get two things out of the way:

1. Graviteam games are not the same as CM games, you have much less fine control over what units do; and

2. Coming from CM, where the UI is old, but intuitive, it literally took me 20ish hours to just “get” the Graviteam UI—and I still rarely play these games just because I hate the UI so much.

As the one other person who likes CM games i'll back this up. I'll never get people who tell people to just play the graviteam games, they're good but they don't feel or play the same.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Plenty of people like/love CM, its Battlefront they hate.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I love CM and Graviteam both. The UI makes more sense now than it ever has, and while it's still work I think controlling whole platoons and playing it more like "set them up, watch them go" with minor prodding afterward is refreshing compared to the overwhelming bullshit that individual orders to everything on a CM map larger than "Medium" entails. The C&C delays make setup FAR more important to the Graviteam games than Combat Mission, too.

It's a good example where tutorial videos do really help, though. I didn't enjoy the Graviteam games when I was trying to manage each squad like a CM unit, but giving broad strokes is far easier.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 29, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I love Graviteam games but everytime I start a campaign I never get very far because after a few turns my units are starting to get depleted and run out of ammo or have inconsistent makeups and I haven't figured out how to use the reinforcement or replenishment mechanics and I start fighting battles against tanks with only infantry or AT guns that have 4 rounds left.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Just got my RTW2 $5 refund.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Popete posted:

I love Graviteam games but everytime I start a campaign I never get very far because after a few turns my units are starting to get depleted and run out of ammo or have inconsistent makeups and I haven't figured out how to use the reinforcement or replenishment mechanics and I start fighting battles against tanks with only infantry or AT guns that have 4 rounds left.

Truth. I can get through the tactical UI pretty well. Frankly, I've never found it nearly as bad as people have made it out to be. The operational UI, however, leaves me absolutely stumped. It makes sense to someone... just not me.

Squiggle posted:

I think controlling whole platoons and playing it more like "set them up, watch them go" with minor prodding afterward is refreshing compared to the overwhelming bullshit that individual orders to everything on a CM map larger than "Medium".

Also truth. The worst part about a CM game is having to absolutely micromanage everything down to the last step. Anything like a large battle and it becomes pure tedium.

Aside from the operational UI in GT, my biggest gripe is how it sometimes randomly relocates your units after you spend an hour meticulously deploying them for battle. The last time I played it, I spent forever setting up a set of AT guns and a Marder in defilade/hull down positions overlooking a likely field of Soviet advance. As soon as I hit the go button, 3 of the 4 AT guns were suddenly placed out in an open field and all 4 of them - along with the Marder - were facing 180 degrees from the way I'd set them. I've never heard a logical explanation for why the game does this, so I can only think it is an unpatched bug.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Just got my RTW2 $5 refund.

Forget Epic, Steam has a new competitor to watch out for.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I just finished reading Miracle at Midway, which makes me want to play a carrier based WW2 naval combat sim—and yes I own WiTP.

Any recommendations? Is the John Tiller title any good? How about the 2007 remake of Carriers of War?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ZombieLenin posted:

Is the John Tiller title any good?

No.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

ZombieLenin posted:

How about the 2007 remake of Carriers of War?

it is ok but it has trouble on modern systems since they basically abandoned it. there also arent many scenarios and its balls easy

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Anyone played UBOAT lately? Big patch dropped recently and I jumped back in. I gave up previously due to a CTD bug which I resolved by disabling vsync.

Game is improving, a new fast travel system makes moving around better although it is annoying getting back to harbor because it drops out of world travel (fast) mode when you approach land. Lots of stuff needs further explanation, I feel like if I take any damage its game over cause I can never figure out how to get my guys to properly handle repairs and water pumping.

Still really think it's a cool concept and am enjoying my runs in the new patch. I've had to restart a lot but the new travel system means it's not so bad.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
WHEN I DIE TURN ME INTO HEXES

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Lazyhound posted:

WHEN I DIE TURN ME INTO HEXES

Where's the Amazon link?

:getout:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Yooper posted:

Where's the Amazon link?

:getout:

A Google search away! And a surprisingly affordable $22!
If you're more conservative and don't want 8 hexburgers but rather 7, there's a $17 option as well.

They also do meatballs.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
i was joking

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Front line is a real meat grinder

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Finally, a hamburger hill you can taste.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
“Trace your lines of supply back to these hexes!”

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Much blood was spilled for those red hexes :ussr:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Searching for Naval Action tells me there's been a bit of discussion about it itt. Anybody still playing? Is there any goon presence? I'm dipping back in for pretty much the first time since the alpha release, and having a whale of a time pretending I'm Jack Aubrey.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009

communism bitch posted:

Searching for Naval Action tells me there's been a bit of discussion about it itt. Anybody still playing? Is there any goon presence? I'm dipping back in for pretty much the first time since the alpha release, and having a whale of a time pretending I'm Jack Aubrey.

I love the idea of Naval Action but the glacial pace of the open world mode and the unbelievable grind to get to the interesting ships killed it for me. I think there was a goon pirate clan (with its own thread) but haven't heard anything about it in a while. The game had so much potential but I think the devs had a very different vision to the majority of the players.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I recently jumped back in and played as well. I still really enjoy the combat and sailing. The open world is still a grind, but there is some good fun to be had.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I still have it installed. Would log onto discord and play with others if the opportunity arose.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I loved the port battles but there is just no way I have the time to grind back up to an Ocean.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Dammit, now I need to buy naval action.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

The Geoff posted:

I love the idea of Naval Action but the glacial pace of the open world mode and the unbelievable grind to get to the interesting ships killed it for me. I think there was a goon pirate clan (with its own thread) but haven't heard anything about it in a while. The game had so much potential but I think the devs had a very different vision to the majority of the players.

Yeah pootling around the OW is really tedious. I mostly just go prowling along the south coast of Haiti and Puerto Rico and back to Port Royal when I get too beat up. Can do a run like that in an evening, especially in anything fore-and-aft rigged so you're less dependant on the wind. Only works for Royal Navy though. I think the main Pirate bases are up towards Florida nowadays?

Abongination posted:

Dammit, now I need to buy naval action.
I really like it, despite some dodgy design choices.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
In case anyone is interested, the next game from the ATG guy is entering beta and accepting signups: https://www.vrdesigns.net/?p=1946

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Command Ops 2 joined the Steam sale a bit late. 40% off the individual scenario packs, 52% off the first five, 55% off all seven.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Command Ops 2 joined the Steam sale a bit late. 40% off the individual scenario packs, 52% off the first five, 55% off all seven.

Oh, I've had those wishlisted for a while now.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
WITE2 news - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3933956&mpage=58

They are aiming for a 2020 release - so I'm guessing 2022.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Popete posted:

I recently jumped back in and played as well. I still really enjoy the combat and sailing. The open world is still a grind, but there is some good fun to be had.

The Geoff posted:

communism bitch posted:

I got yooper to put up a channel in the Grognard discord if you want to chill online and shoot ships. I've only played a couple of hours in the entire time since the open world was introduced, but would log in to chill on voice and shoot ships.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
FoG II is $7.49 on Fanatical if you were thinking of getting it as a companion to FoG:E. That's the cheapest I think I've seen it yet.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Is there a manual for RtW2? I'm trying to figure out what diesel engines and inclined belts do.

tombom
Mar 8, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Is there a manual for RtW2? I'm trying to figure out what diesel engines and inclined belts do.

The demo at least has a manual in the Manuals folder wherever you installed it. Quoting it

"Diesel engines are heavier than steam plants but reduce the weight penalty of long and extreme range. Diesel powered ships have better acceleration."

"Inclined belt
Inclined belt costs 10% more than a conventional belt. It adds about 10% to the protective effect of the belt, but it also entails a risk that long range hits will be converted to deck or lower belt edge hits."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

FrozenVent posted:

Should be in the game folders. The demo manual is unfinished and still has some bits missing (and some internal notes they wrote to each other hanging around)

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

V for Vegas posted:

WITE2 news - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3933956&mpage=58

They are aiming for a 2020 release - so I'm guessing 2022.

I misread this as WiTP2 and got my hopes up :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Witp 2, now with more pilot training options!

Visio not included.