Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's not plundering! It's adoption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Finally, a game about efficiently shipping cats to the New World!

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

If anyone wants to give it a go, there is apparently a trial session taking place in Bristol in the UK.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1537586146416937/

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Heists just unlocked its 6th bonus heist, and it looks like we're on track to get all 10 for a grand total of 35 Heists in the book!
Also I went ahead and ordered some more map, peep;

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Well, I guess a Shovel Knight board game was inevitable.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
After the space invaders board game, anything is possible.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

They did a very nice job with the original Kickstarter for the game. Would hope that this is just as nice. My son really enjoys Shovel Knight, so I will have to look into it.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

My love of Shovel Knight is wrestling with my dislike of roll-to-succeed minis games filled with multiple random components. Random loot tiles with random values! Random draw equipment/gear cards! Random monster spawns! Roll to do anything other than move, or your turn is useless or actively detrimental to you! Hooray!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Slimnoid posted:

Well, I guess a Shovel Knight board game was inevitable.
shovel knight is the common cold of indie games, for a while everyone gets it, then it disappears again, then it infects a bunch more things
not saying shovel knight is bad, but it is in everything these days

also the propeller rats are too cutesyfied, they need to look more like the game version to capture that "well this is silly" feel

Warthur
May 2, 2004

As mentioned in the TG industry thread, Stygian Fox's Innsmouth '86 Kickstarter got suspended by Kickstarter. The timeline seems to go like this:

- Stygian Fox run a bunch of Kickstarters, mostly Call of Cthulhu-related. Some of them deliver just fine. Some have outstanding stretch goals to deliver. Some haven't shipped their main goal yet - of these, some haven't hit their estimated shipping date yet, whilst others are a bit more shameful. (The generic fantasy setting Distant Realms is over two years late and communication on the project has been trash.)

- Kickstarter actually introduced a rule a couple of years ago that you aren't meant to start a new Kickstarter when you have old projects still unfulfilled; irked by perceived poor communication from Stygian Fox and alarmed at the sight of them establishing additional Kickstarter obligations for themselves before the old ones are met, people on the Yog-Sothoth.com forums have a chat about it and some decide to report the project to Kickstarter.

- In an astonishing departure from form, Kickstarter actually enforce the rule in question.

- Stephanie from Stygian Fox hops on Yog-Sothoth.com, clearly deeply upset about all this and talks about how it now won't be possible to do things like the planned mass refund of Distant Realms backers on the planned schedule because she'll have to use the Patreon money to keep the lights on and support herself rather than putting it towards the old Kickstarter projects. This seems to sit awkwardly with her earlier statements that she wasn't using new Kickstarter income to cover the obligations of previous Kickstarters (if the new Kickstarter income wasn't needed to cover those obligations, why would the cancellation of Innsmouth '86 affect them?).

- YSDC forumites are actually nice enough that even the ones who complained to Kickstarter are willing to boost their Patreon pledges and the like in order to help Stygian Fox get over this hump.

- Stephanie makes comments on Facebook accusing YSDC in general, and forum admin Paul of Cthulhu specifically, of plotting Stygian Fox's downfall - this despite the fact that Paul never said he was reporting Stygian Fox to Kickstarter whilst other people clearly held their hands up and said "I threw in a report".

The main thing to take away from this whole story is that prudent publishers should avoid running parallel Kickstarters for as long as this rule exists in its current form. It seems to be rarely and inconsistently applied, but that very inconsistency in and of itself seems to be a problem: if this rule gets enforced on Stygian Fox, an extremely small press even by the standards of TTRPGs where everyone who isn't Paizo or Wizards is basically a small press, but not enforced on, say Steve Jackson Games or Onyx Path or other bigger names who habitually get new Kickstarters on the go even when previous ones are unfulfilled, that seems ragingly unjust to me.

The upshot: running a new Kickstarter when your old one is unfulfilled is a horrible risk under these circumstances. Either Kickstarter are going to be more consistent about enforcing the rule, which could be really bad news for you, or if they don't enforce the rule on you it will look like you're unfairly benefiting when other publishers are taking a hit, which isn't a good look.

Late to the party on a couple of points but may as well address them now anyway...

jivjov posted:

Huh...that's handy. I guess I'm just used to the US where pretty much everything is caveat emptor at all times
Even in the US, basic contract law establishes a contract between backers and project creators: project creators say "if we get funded, we'll produce and give you this stuff" (an offer), making your pledge constitutes acceptance of that offer, the transfer of money from backers to the project creators is the associated consideration, and the fact that the Kickstarter ToS says that a contract is entered into between backers and project creators means that there's no reasonable argument that neither party intended to get into a legally binding contract. This is such foundational stuff that I would be flabbergasted at a US court which ruled that it, in fact, wasn't a contract; I don't rule out the possibility, but it'd come down a judge being staggeringly ignorant of the law rather than there being any legal argument to the contrary having merit.

Jedit posted:

By that point it was too late for most people. You're not allowed to withdraw a pledge in the last 24 hours if it would defund the project.
Really, now? I can see why Kickstarter would put that rule in, but equally it feels contrary to the general principle that your money isn't taken until the campaign ends.

Flavivirus posted:

Hah, it’s all coming back to me now. The ridiculous royalties, the acquiring of every single game I had already made, the incredibly excessive first refusal period - even acquiring rights to the likeness of the ‘characters’ for an RPG with no signature characters??? - are all things they were trying to pull over 3 years ago. Thankfully I had a friendly Warthur to look over the contract and tell me it was absolute dreck.
That said, it's the sort of deal I can see someone being tempted to take if they were already deep in a Kickstarter hole, were basically already doomed, and were desperate to offload all their responsibilities onto someone else and wash their hands of the industry altogether. "Good news, everyone - I've just signed a contract with Golden Bell to produce the game! The contract says it's their job to manufacture and distribute the thing now so pleasesendanyqueriestothemokaybye." door slams - running steps - "taxi!" - screeching tyres - airport noises - airplane takes off

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Mode 7 posted:

My love of Shovel Knight is wrestling with my dislike of roll-to-succeed minis games filled with multiple random components. Random loot tiles with random values! Random draw equipment/gear cards! Random monster spawns! Roll to do anything other than move, or your turn is useless or actively detrimental to you! Hooray!

Yeah. As much as I love how goofy the Propeller Rats look (could you guess?), nothing about the game looks much fun to me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh lovely, just found out my copy of the deluxe tiny epic mechs game got trashed by usps because they decided not to forward it to my new address so they just decided to throw it out.

loving hell.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

They did a very nice job with the original Kickstarter for the game. Would hope that this is just as nice. My son really enjoys Shovel Knight, so I will have to look into it.

Yacht Club Games aren't responsible for designing this, just for lending the Shovel Knight IP to it. This is like assuming a video game movie will be good just because the video game itself was good. :v:

The only other thing these guys seem to have made is this: http://pandacultgames.com/games/cult-of-barnacle-bay/

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 9, 2019

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
Fenris have a lovely Kickstarter on at the moment.... well "lovely"... rotty.

A small one man band and good chum of mine.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thecauldronwarband/fenris-games-the-cauldron-warband

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Warthur posted:

The main thing to take away from this whole story is that prudent publishers should avoid running parallel Kickstarters for as long as this rule exists in its current form. It seems to be rarely and inconsistently applied, but that very inconsistency in and of itself seems to be a problem: if this rule gets enforced on Stygian Fox, an extremely small press even by the standards of TTRPGs where everyone who isn't Paizo or Wizards is basically a small press, but not enforced on, say Steve Jackson Games or Onyx Path or other bigger names who habitually get new Kickstarters on the go even when previous ones are unfulfilled, that seems ragingly unjust to me.

The difference being that Steve Jackson and the people who did Nemesis actually fulfills their older campaigns rather than creating some kind of Kickstarter ponzi scheme.

If they were using new campaigns to keep the lights on then it was only a matter of time before the whole thing imploded.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, I'm suddenly glad that the TORG Eternity people wait until the last cosm book is done before starting the next one. I'm told there's some stuff with shipping some items out on the last one, but I got the impression that's tariff-hijinks related and there's not much they can do.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Warthur posted:

Really, now? I can see why Kickstarter would put that rule in, but equally it feels contrary to the general principle that your money isn't taken until the campaign ends.

As I recall it, it was basically put in place because 4chan was trolling projects by making $10,000 pledges and then withdrawing them at the last minute.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yacht Club Games aren't responsible for designing this, just for lending the Shovel Knight IP to it. This is like assuming a video game movie will be good just because the video game itself was good. :v:

The only other thing these guys seem to have made is this: http://pandacultgames.com/games/cult-of-barnacle-bay/

There was a post in the BG thread by someone who tried a demo of the game and it was mostly positive- the side scrolling part is good dumb fun where you weigh grabbing loot versus keeping up with the “screen”. The actual boss fight was weaker though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm surprised it isn't getting funded faster, but then again the Devil May Cry game barely funded (although it had bad buzz from being Steamforged Games). Maybe there wasn't enough advertising for this so people don't even know the campaign is running.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

The difference being that Steve Jackson and the people who did Nemesis actually fulfills their older campaigns rather than creating some kind of Kickstarter ponzi scheme.

If they were using new campaigns to keep the lights on then it was only a matter of time before the whole thing imploded.
On the other hand, you could argue that if your business is big enough and has the cashflow to keep the lights open without running multiple Kickstarters in parallel, then it is no detriment to you if the rule is enforced on you - whereas if you're small enough that the Kickstarter ponzi scheme "pay off Kickstarter 1 with Kickstarter 2 money" model looks attractive to you, then the earlier Kickstarter step in and stop you digging that hole the better it is for everyone.

Thuryl posted:

As I recall it, it was basically put in place because 4chan was trolling projects by making $10,000 pledges and then withdrawing them at the last minute.
I thought that might be it. I guess you might also have an issue with project creators getting their buddies to make phony pledges so they could say "Look at how well-funded we are already!", in order to encourage people to climb onboard a project which already looks successful. Kind of like a grand-scale version of a busker seeding their hat with a bit of pocket change, because people are more likely to toss a coin in when there's money there already than they are to donate to a totally empty hat.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Did somebody here say they've played Isle of Cats? I don't have a polyomino style game and was wondering if this is worth the money compared to something like Barenpark.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Warthur posted:

On the other hand, you could argue that if your business is big enough and has the cashflow to keep the lights open without running multiple Kickstarters in parallel, then it is no detriment to you if the rule is enforced on you - whereas if you're small enough that the Kickstarter ponzi scheme "pay off Kickstarter 1 with Kickstarter 2 money" model looks attractive to you, then the earlier Kickstarter step in and stop you digging that hole the better it is for everyone.

It's not abut the size of the company, or the resources, it's using Kickstarter as it's intended, and not as a way to bail out previously mismanaged Kickstarters. If any creator, company or no, can't fulfill a successful campaign, then I absolutely agree they have no business starting another one, going "no really, we pinky swear we will deliver this one!"

But I wouldn't say Steve Jackson is exempt from risk. Would it harm them to have it enforced? Probably not, but at the same time they aren't exactly a huge company except by comparison. I'm sure they don't have $500k sitting around that they can throw at a project and hope it sells enough in retail. They kickstarted the big box Ogre game because they didn't really know if enough people would be interested in a big revamp of that game. I understand why they did that. At this point, I think they know well enough that it wouldn't harm them, but at the same time, why punish the successful.

I admit I haven't read the rule, but I think what would be fair is a "you can't have multiple campaigns if you have anything more than 6 months past expected delivery." And then enforce it. That would keep the Ponzi schemes down while letting people who have proven they can hack it run multiple campaigns at once.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Not exactly crowdfunding, but an alternative funding model campaign through the game crafter. Not good if you want to make money as a creator, but good if you dont care about money and just want to get your game out there.

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/crowdsale/iron-helm

Warthur
May 2, 2004

As I've said in the other thread, if there's going to be exemptions from the rule for good behaviour or whatever, then there needs to be clearly outlined criteria for who gets that exemption and then it needs to be applied transparently and evenly - because at the moment we have no idea whether the criteria is something like "you run big money Kickstarters and we don't want to give up our 10% of that loot" or "Luke Crane likes your face".

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

nesbit37 posted:

Not exactly crowdfunding, but an alternative funding model campaign through the game crafter. Not good if you want to make money as a creator, but good if you dont care about money and just want to get your game out there.

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/crowdsale/iron-helm

I also agree making things creatively should never allow prople to actually make a living wage.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I agree people doing creative work should get a living wage. I am also aware some people are doing this as a side creative outlet and just want people to enjoy their stuff, and are happy to spend their time making these things and letting people essentially just have them (other than what Gamecrafter is charging to make them). This country is pretty messed up in how pretty much only fields or people that directly make money are deemed valuable by so many, which is a bunch of horseshit. Particularly as a librarian, I die a little inside every time I see people posting online that students should choose a major based on what will make them the most money or the most marketable rather than what they are excited about.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Can we talk for a minute about the absolute magic transpiring in the comments for the Hard Wired Island kickstarter where somehow a full-blown right-wing/libertarian wonk wound up backing a game transparently about how much capitalism sucks and that you should be gay and do crime and is now trying to convince people that technology can't possibly be misused as a tool of oppression while also suggesting that only people with high IQs should be sent to space so they "would breed true and not have low-IQ descendents to breed problems in the future." I don't think I've ever seen someone fail to read the room quite so hard before, it's almost impressive.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Kai Tave posted:

Can we talk for a minute about the absolute magic transpiring in the comments for the Hard Wired Island kickstarter where somehow a full-blown right-wing/libertarian wonk wound up backing a game transparently about how much capitalism sucks and that you should be gay and do crime and is now trying to convince people that technology can't possibly be misused as a tool of oppression while also suggesting that only people with high IQs should be sent to space so they "would breed true and not have low-IQ descendents to breed problems in the future." I don't think I've ever seen someone fail to read the room quite so hard before, it's almost impressive.

These are usually called "trolls" and they're pretty common on the internet.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

what the gently caress

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zurai posted:

These are usually called "trolls" and they're pretty common on the internet.

Paying money for a kickstarter purely to troll the comments after pledging has closed and transactions are finalized is a hell of a commitment to the bit, if so. Literally "giving the libs my money to own the libs."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Serf posted:

what the gently caress

It’s a work of art.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

As someone who works in the surveillance industry....bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Seriously, there is some deeply hosed up poo poo that China is doing with analytics and video in Xinjiang. Thankfully the products used don't work well but it's not even a hypothetical maybe it could be used for oppression. It is being used for oppression.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

Well now I regret not backing it.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Here's an excerpt for those playing along at home:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Redundant posted:

Did somebody here say they've played Isle of Cats? I don't have a polyomino style game and was wondering if this is worth the money compared to something like Barenpark.

I'm going to go to the demo session next week and will report back.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

So like the plot of Moonraker?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

MollyMetroid posted:

Here's an excerpt for those playing along at home:

drat, this is wild. Glad as hell I backed for sure.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

Paying money for a kickstarter purely to troll the comments after pledging has closed and transactions are finalized is a hell of a commitment to the bit, if so. Literally "giving the libs my money to own the libs."

It's like ditching your order at the drive-thru after they've given you your change back but before they've given the food.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Didn't someone do something similar for the Blue Rose Kickstarter? Except they spent the I assume $200+ to get like a custom character published, and they chose some weird dig at SJWs. Which is far more effective a "got em" even if they just got refunded and dumped.

Did this person even back at a level high enough to actively ruin the book, if for some bizarre reason Freyja and Ettin wanted to keep the money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Dawgstar posted:

It's like ditching your order at the drive-thru after they've given you your change back but before they've given the food.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8N800bP-R4