Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

oh no

what have i unleashed

WHAT HAVE I DONE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ibblebibble posted:

My crazy post-msq theories:

1) The cause of the planetary tremors that started the Doom of Amaurot was Lavos.
2) The Warriors of Light that Elidibus says that he's going to summon? They're going to be from an unsundered star.

It's going to turn out that the doom that befell the ancient Ascians was caused by Elidibus because he'd somehow been tempered by Zodiark before it was summoned for the "first" time and needed to create a reason for the big summoning.

Though I guess going down that road makes Zodiark Actually Evil, redeems crystal mom, and has Elidibus be a mustache twirler while the rest of the Ascians are tragic villains who got duped. This writing team can probably come up with something better!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

ukrainius maximus posted:

How do you decide on a job to play? I have BLM at 50 and I just unlocked Samurai and Red Mage. Red Mage seems totally awesome but I also have other jobs middling in the 30s and I think I just always end up wasting too much of my time skipping around different jobs. I'd also like to try Ninja but I'm only at 15 as a rogue :(

Ignore meta, ignore what goons say, just play what you find fun.

Having said that, if you just unlocked SAM and RDM you're probably fresh off ARR, so what I'd recommend is to keep doing MSQ on BLM since it unlocks more stuff for you to run and it should be enough xp so you don't get level locked out of it, and run roulettes on the other classes you find interesting to get a feel for them.

'Unfortunately', FF14 has a lot of really fun classes and most (if not all) of them play very differently in lower levels and in each of the expansion capstones (50,60,70,80), so you'll need to play them to really see if they're your cup of tea.

You've probably seen this video, but it's still really good for getting a general feel for the classes (well save DNC and gun :v: ):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwQf6H7ESo4

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

1) The cause of the planetary tremors that started the Doom of Amaurot was Lavos.
2) The Warriors of Light that Elidibus says that he's going to summon? They're going to be from an unsundered star.

I think it's pretty likely and might even have been implied somewhere that the collapse was because Amaurot society kept using creation energy that pulled aether from the star, weakening it, and even though there were dissenting voices the centrist and bureaucratic status quo of the society walled them from preventing its overuse.

They discovered another source of creation energy, but it cost Ascian lives (for both Quetzalcoatl and Zodiark)

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 5, 2019

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Edmond Dantes posted:

Ignore meta, ignore what goons say, just play what you find fun.

Having said that, if you just unlocked SAM and RDM you're probably fresh off ARR, so what I'd recommend is to keep doing MSQ on BLM since it unlocks more stuff for you to run and it should be enough xp so you don't get level locked out of it, and run roulettes on the other classes you find interesting to get a feel for them.

'Unfortunately', FF14 has a lot of really fun classes and most (if not all) of them play very differently in lower levels and in each of the expansion capstones (50,60,70,80), so you'll need to play them to really see if they're your cup of tea.

You've probably seen this video, but it's still really good for getting a general feel for the classes (well save DNC and gun :v: ):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwQf6H7ESo4

To add to this: Whatever you end up choosing to play, stick with it until level cap (unless it's really unfun for you). You'll want to get the armory experience bonus so leveling other jobs is easier.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CYBEReris posted:

I think it's pretty likely and might even have been implied somewhere that the collapse was because Amaurot society kept using creation energy that pulled aether from the star, weakening it, and even though there were dissenting voices the centrist and bureaucratic status quo of the society walled them from preventing its overuse.

They discovered another source of creation energy, but it cost Ascian lives (for both Quetzalcoatl and Zodiark)

The phantoms explicitly state that the energy used for creation magic came from the immortal souls of the Ascians, which were so powerful that they could draw on them to convert them to the aether needed for creation without tapping into the planet's aether. Modern creation magic - the kind used to create primals - has to draw on the star because the fragmented souls of their summoners are simply too weak to do otherwise.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

CYBEReris posted:

It could also be the immortal nature of the Amaurotine had started to gently caress up the lifestream/aetheric sea

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
I decided to use one of the fantasias I have stocked up:

I'm really liking the Vierra style and animations so far.

Also Il Mheg owns:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Ibblebibble posted:

There's lore in the Akademia that heavily implies what the actual cause of the Doom of Amaurot was.

Specifically, it was the ancient race itself. They had everything they needed for creation - the talent, the skill, limitless reserves of internal aether to draw on. But they were too good at it. Remember how one of the shades in the city talks about trying to make a lion, getting distracted by an eagle for like half a second, and ending up with what we'd consider a griffin instead - creation is a hair trigger process for these people and I strongly suspect everyone we met there was glossing over how easily it can go wrong considering literally every side quest we do in the city boils down to "oh I did that creation thing wrong tee hee".

The lore in Akademia theorizes that the initial appearance of the beasts that would eventually engulf the world was caused by the unconscious urges and fears of the populace. That quickly escalated to conscious fears of the populace once the beast population really started spiking and tearing cities down. Their plan was to create something even more powerful to keep the rampaging beasts in check, and Zodiark was clearly the final result of that - I imagine tempering the entire populace into obedience would also have solved the unconscious fears and urges thing.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 5, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Meiteron posted:

There's lore in the Akademia that heavily implies what the actual cause of the Doom of Amaurot was.

Specifically, it was the ancient race itself. They had everything they needed for creation - the talent, the skill, limitless reserves of internal aether to draw on. But they were too good at it. Remember how one of the shades in the city talks about trying to make a lion, getting distracted by an eagle for like half a second, and ending up with what we'd consider a griffin instead - creation is a hair trigger process for these people and I strongly suspect everyone we met there was glossing over how easily it can go wrong considering literally every side quest we do in the city boils down to "oh I did that creation thing wrong tee hee".

The lore in Akademia theorizes that the initial appearance of the beasts that would eventually engulf the world was caused by the unconscious urges and fears of the populace. That quickly escalated to conscious fears of the populace once the beast population really started spiking and tearing cities down. Their plan was to create something even more powerful to keep the rampaging beasts in check, and Zodiark was clearly the final result of that - I imagine tempering the entire populace into obedience would also have solved the unconscious fears and urges thing.

Whilst all true, it doesn't explain the initial planetary tremors that started it all.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

How do you decide on a job to play? I have BLM at 50 and I just unlocked Samurai and Red Mage. Red Mage seems totally awesome but I also have other jobs middling in the 30s and I think I just always end up wasting too much of my time skipping around different jobs. I'd also like to try Ninja but I'm only at 15 as a rogue :(

There is no race or rush so I suggest just logging in and playing whatever you think sounds the most fun that day. None of that time is wasted as long as you are having fun and if you like the game you will probably level a lot of jobs anyway.

*The exception is that you will always be limited by MSQ progress so it is generally a good idea to keep that high, particularly for all of the early ARR stuff like getting a mount and unlocking all the basic dungeons and roulettes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

Whilst all true, it doesn't explain the initial planetary tremors that started it all.

Yeah. It's much more likely that an unknown factor caused the Last Days, both because all of the text strongly implies it and because, from a writing standpoint, you need to set up a bigger threat for the inevitable day when Zodiark is finally defeated.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

oh no

what have i unleashed

WHAT HAVE I DONE

Where do you get the beaver minion?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

My new favorite "hobby" is checking the search info on party members to see what jobs they've leveled. I always find it amusing when people have very sporadic job selection/levels. Like a dude who had something like 50 levels in ALC, and a few levels in another crafter, but then didn't have most of the rest picked up at all. Or someone who had DNC, GNB and SAM unlocked, and a few with levels with, but didn't pick up RDM at all.

I'm surprised by how many people I find who haven't even picked up BLU, but have almost everything at a high level.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Considering SAM and RDM start at 50, they can continue MSQ as either of those - I dont think there's a particular benefit to sticking with BLM.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 5, 2019

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

Considering SAM and RDM start at 50, they can continue MSQ as either of those - I dont think there's a particular benefit to sticking with BLM.

Explosions and big numbers!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like the story drags a bit in the lead up to the level 77 dungeon. I don’t care about these problems right now and it feels like padding.

I have just been linked to the following post:

Mordiceius posted:

It's not going to G'raha Tia, Doga, Unei, Xande, or Amon. :toxx:

Is it true? Did your toxx fail?

VideoGames fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 5, 2019

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Thanks guys. I'm not sure if I will stick with BLM, it's not really clicking with me. Red Mage seems more my jam but ninja is still tempting me because I typically prefer melee.

I still haven't finished ARR, I'm working on the Castrum Centri infiltration stuff right now. It's my first time back in the game since before HW and I'm enjoying the time I get to spend on it. My biggest gripe is that there are too many abilities and too many things sound vaguely similar with maybe slightly different effects. I know they just pruned some stuff but I just feel like I have way too many keybinds.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Meiteron posted:

This is basically the plot from Michael Crichton's "Sphere". The titular sphere has the power of creation, to make whatever you're imagining real. Unfortunately because of how the human mind works, it's far more likely to manifest your darkest fears.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Where do you get the beaver minion?

Once you finish the 73 Trial you can buy it from a vendor in that zone, but it needs a drop from the EX version of that trial.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Thanks guys. I'm not sure if I will stick with BLM, it's not really clicking with me. Red Mage seems more my jam but ninja is still tempting me because I typically prefer melee.

I still haven't finished ARR, I'm working on the Castrum Centri infiltration stuff right now. It's my first time back in the game since before HW and I'm enjoying the time I get to spend on it. My biggest gripe is that there are too many abilities and too many things sound vaguely similar with maybe slightly different effects. I know they just pruned some stuff but I just feel like I have way too many keybinds.

I am also a new player currently finishing up the 2.x quests and im currently regretting playing ninja. It’s fine when doing the world quests but whenever I’m in dungeons I feel completely lost. Like I know I need to use Trick Attack whenever it is up but in between that and the two basic combos I currently have it’s hard to figure out what I’m supposed to be doing. Part of the issue is I don’t think I have figured out a good way to bind the Mudras. I currently have them set to macros but they cast much slower than clicking or using key binds manually. I’m going to stick with it to the end but the class is a little more hard to play than say a WoW Rogue was at any point in that game.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

It's a huge game with lots of stuff to do and it can get overwhelming at first, so don't hesitate to give us a shout if you have any doubts on classes, rotations, abilities or whatever.

BLM in particular has a few skill... idiosyncrasies that (at least for me) weren't immediately obvious until someone pointed them out to me. For example, you never want to cast Fire 3 manually, you want to spam Fire 1 and only cast Fire 3 when you get your firestarter proc, but it's really easy to think "3 is greater than 1, so that's the way to go" and just hardcast 3 all the time.

RDM is fun, especially now that you have a proper AoE rotation rather than having to spam dualcast scatter, but it's one of the simplest classes in the game if not the simplest (from what little I played of DNC they're quite close), so if you're finding BLM overwhelming RDM may not be a bad idea for MSQ/solo purposes while you get used to the harder fights and mechanics now that you're getting into the higher level stuff.

Tainen posted:

Part of the issue is I don’t think I have figured out a good way to bind the Mudras. I currently have them set to macros but they cast much slower than clicking or using key binds manually. I’m going to stick with it to the end but the class is a little more hard to play than say a WoW Rogue was at any point in that game.
You're probably about to get a lot of replies to this, but the usual recommendation is: don't macro combat stuff. You can't queue macros; if you hit an ability just as it's about to come off cooldown but hasn't the game will queue it up for you and it'll immediately cast as soon as it's up so you don't have any downtime, but macros don't do this. It may be a matter of milliseconds, but it does add up over time and it can get you in trouble if you're depending on a defensive and the macro doesn't fire because you hit it just a wee bit early.

Someone else can give you a NIN primer, I got it to 50 and haven't touched it since because I really don't like the 'dial an ability' system.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 5, 2019

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

VideoGames posted:

I have just been linked to the following post:

Is it true? Did your toxx fail?

Having finished the MSQ, yes. Yes he most definitely lost that bet :v:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Ibblebibble posted:

My own pet theory is that it's going to be somehow related to the Echo, considering how the tremor was described and the literal name of the Echo.

The Echo itself is still unexplained and after the great Ascian reveal probably the greatest mystery left in the game. People assumed it was related to Hydaelyn's blessing but at this point the Ascians have used it, the Garleans have artifically engineered it, and we've got weird variations of it coming from other shards like Uku's thing... That means it's likely outside the domain of Zodiark and Hydaelyn, and thus far this is the first thing we've seen that's truly beyond the two of them with the unexplained calamity kickstarter the Ascians faced.

It'll be interesting to see if the echo becomes more relevant beyond all the goofy poo poo it does now, like letting us see the "future" and the past and translate languages... especially now that we've got more time travel shenanigans than ever what with the Exarch and what the future Ironworks did :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Re: macros, from my last post.

This is a great way of seeing what I meant with the macro delay adding up over time: (and the 'queue' for regular actions, you can see the the player hitting the ability just once right before it's off CD, compared to mashing the macrod one)

https://twitter.com/KRK969/status/1128330814339424262

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 5, 2019

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

This is a great way of seeing what I meant with the macro delay adding up over time: (and the 'queue' for regular actions, you can see the the player hitting the ability just once right before it's off CD, compared to mashing the macrod one)

Yeah it’s very clear that the macros I have set up are bad. Even more so when you get the shame bunny popping up on your head because the macro gets interrupted. I guess I need to spend some time on a training dummy getting my keyboard figured out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

This is a great way of seeing what I meant with the macro delay adding up over time:

I do have to wonder what the total loss over the course of a fight is versus the average loss from mis-presses or missed cooldowns. While obviously the ideal is building the muscle memory not to make those mistakes, I wonder if there is a point for jobs like Bard where it's easier to just macro the gently caress out of it and eat lost cooldowns for more reliability.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tainen posted:

Yeah it’s very clear that the macros I have set up are bad. Even more so when you get the shame bunny popping up on your head because the macro gets interrupted. I guess I need to spend some time on a training dummy getting my keyboard figured out.

I think it pays off a lot to spend some time figuring out just what you're actually using in combat and in what sequence. Especially when leveling up a new job, it's easy to simply toss new actions onto whatever buttons you have free, but this can result in you having to play Tchaikovsky on your keyboard as you scramble your fingers around to hit a bunch of disparate buttons.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tainen posted:

I am also a new player currently finishing up the 2.x quests and im currently regretting playing ninja. It’s fine when doing the world quests but whenever I’m in dungeons I feel completely lost. Like I know I need to use Trick Attack whenever it is up but in between that and the two basic combos I currently have it’s hard to figure out what I’m supposed to be doing. Part of the issue is I don’t think I have figured out a good way to bind the Mudras. I currently have them set to macros but they cast much slower than clicking or using key binds manually. I’m going to stick with it to the end but the class is a little more hard to play than say a WoW Rogue was at any point in that game.

I'm almost certain you don't want to macro mudras since you can activate them pretty quickly. What worked for me was setting them up on alt+1,2,3 (or shift?) and it just becomes a matter of remembering the order as a pattern, rather then the names of the mudras (IMO.) Plus they're all unique and don't have duplicate mudras in the chain, so it can be a bit of a "remember one by knowing what the other is."

Like, you get them in order Ten, Chi, Jin. So bind them to Alt+1,2,3. Huton, is the the buff you want to keep up, and can either be done with "Jin→Chi→Ten" or "Chi→Jin→Ten" With the button layout, you can do 3-2-1. (2-3-1 is the other option, but seems a bit a harder to remember then a descending order.)

Suton is the thing that lets you use Trick attack (I think thats what it was) and is Ten→Chi→Jin or Chi→Ten→Jin, the easier one to remember is the first, 1-2-3. It's the opposite of the other buff!

Doton is the aoe field, and is Ten→Jin→Chi or Jin→Ten→Chi (1,3,2) or (3,1,2) - this is probably trickier to remember then other two.

(I can go over the 2 mudra ninjitsus if you want, but I imagine this is probably confusing in text alone and not nearly as helpful as I'd like to think it is.)

I'm definitely not a pro NIN (I really just got it to cap) but the Mudras kinda clicked with me when I realized there was a particular logic to them.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 5, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I do have to wonder what the total loss over the course of a fight is versus the average loss from mis-presses or missed cooldowns. While obviously the ideal is building the muscle memory not to make those mistakes, I wonder if there is a point for jobs like Bard where it's easier to just macro the gently caress out of it and eat lost cooldowns for more reliability.

If you're in a situation where such a difference in dps matters, you're going to want to :gitgud: instead.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I'm almost certain you don't want to macro mudras since you can activate them pretty quickly. What worked for me was setting them up on alt+1,2,3 (or shift?) and it just becomes a matter of remembering the order as a pattern, rather then the names of the mudras (IMO.) Plus they're all unique and don't have duplicate mudras in the chain, so it can be a bit of a "remember one by knowing what the other is."

Like, you get them in order Ten, Chi, Jin. So bind them to Alt+1,2,3. Huton, is the the buff you want to keep up, and can either be done with "Jin→Chi→Ten" or "Chi→Jin→Ten" With the button layout, you can do 3-2-1. (2-3-1) is the other option, but seems a bit a harder to remember then a descending order.)

Suton is the thing that lets you use Trick attack (I think thats what it was) and is Ten→Chi→Jin or Chi→Ten→Jin, the easier one to remember is the first, 1-2-3. It's the opposite of the other buff!

Doton is the aoe field, and is Ten→Jin→Chi or Jin→Ten→Chi (1,3,2) or (3,1,2) - this is probably trickier to remember then other two.

(I can go over the 2 mudra ninjitsus if you want, but I imagine this is probably confusing in text alone and not nearly as helpful as I'd like to think it is.)

I'm definitely not a pro NIN (I really just got it to cap) but the Mudras kinda clicked with me when I realized there was a particular logic to them.

Thanks! I will try exactly this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

If you're in a situation where such a difference in dps matters, you're going to want to :gitgud: instead.

Well, yes. If you're in a situation where DPS matters that is obviously the case. I'm talking more about people who play casually.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Then it doesn't matter, go hog wild!

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Mudras are a lot easier to remember than they look at first. Each one only cares about what mudra you use last and how many you used leading up to it. There’s also not as many of them as it looks like there are at first.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I'm new to FFXIV, but I'm going with an approach I use in other games where you can eventually do everything on one character (i.e., Secret World): pick a class to main, then allow a certain amount of progression in other classes until the main class is max level, rinse and repeat.

For this game, what I'm going with is pairing 1 class quest for the main (after the level 10 quest) with 2 class quests for any other class (after the level 1 quest). If I want to switch to a new main class before getting the current one to 80, I just have to catch up to the current one.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Mudras are a lot easier to remember than they look at first. Each one only cares about what mudra you use last and how many you used leading up to it. There’s also not as many of them as it looks like there are at first.

Well poo poo that might even be easier to remember then how I was thinking of it. I feel dumb for missing that.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

What.

ImpAtom posted:

I remember seeing a video of someone playing... Monk? And running ACT on the side, I'll try and look it up when I get home.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Ibblebibble posted:

(Still endgame/post-MSQ spoilers)

I freely confess this is probably going to be a hook for whenever the current overarching plot is resolved but in my head I'm tickled by the thought that it was just some random earthquakes in the wrong place to give some oversensitive ancient the jitters that sparked everything. They're like reality bending horses, thought of bees earthquakes and died.

Also I guess I prefer a general theme of "this ancient utopian society destroyed itself through ironic hubris" than I do a theme of "this ancient utopian society was destroyed by some ancient unnamed evil" and to be fair I think FF has gone with both methods in the past.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have to say I’m really glad I am a bard as a new player. A lot of bosses first time through are much more manageable if you’re the guy standing really far away from the enemy, and you can’t really mess up the way a tank or healer can as a single DPS. Like as much as I wanna pick up a tank I frequently stand places I shouldn’t when it doesn’t matter so No thanks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

I remember seeing a video of someone playing... Monk? And running ACT on the side, I'll try and look it up when I get home.

Thanks. It's just something I was wondering since I've seen a lot of Bard players in the new dungeons who I know are leaving Bloodletter/Barrage/etc unused for longer than they need to and I was wondering if the DPS loss from that was worse than the creeping loss from a macro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Glad to see that FFXIV is continuing the grand tradition of making fairies loving terrifying.