Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I think we have found one of the most unexpected sources for big brakes that can be fitted to a Subaru. KB's running some design ideas on a jig before this one gets unveiled

Yeah this BRZ thing has just gotten weirder.

GM truck.

edit: context for top of page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I doubt it is a GM truck due to the fact there's a tiny number of them on Australian roads.

I bet it is something like a Hilux or Land Cruiser

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You Am I posted:

I doubt it is a GM truck due to the fact there's a tiny number of them on Australian roads.

Hence unexpected! Eh? Eh?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
LOL no one is even close :D

One hint - they fit on a Ferrari.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
That removes the Lamborghini tractor brakes theory

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

That removes the Lamborghini tractor brakes theory

Don’t get too far ahead of yourself 😉

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Blurry kitties as they wouldnt sit for the camera

So I've been wondering why the yellow WRX has been getting water into the boot. Soo...... the main culprit is likely to be the rear wing so that came off.

7 bolts in the wrong place and it still wouldnt come off.

After half hour of prying it came free and I was presented with this. Fuckwit PO has centre glued the bloody thing into place.

Side skirts off because I want to repaint and now I see the PO was a loving idiot. Car was reprayed and not properly as these show the signs of being sprayed in place badly.

Greeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. Okay GC8 WRX's are great cars but they attracted idiots who had no clue what they were doing or constantly cut corners.

Yeah this take some work to rectify the paintwork

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BELLEH SKRITCHES

So the task today was remove the back bumper. Apart from the usual front body tabs have broken in the past it came off easily enough revealling this .... rather odd wire. It's not for a Varex, it appears to go to the trigger toggle on the centre console. Uhhhhh..... the only reason I can think of is somewhere in the past the car had a flame igniter. Not sure what to make of that

poo poo bumber shot .... and when cleaning years of crap off the paint was flaking away. Yeah. poo poo respray

Thinking of poo poo resprays..... all that dirt under the removed wing was cleaned off to reveal MORE bad spray painting. Yep all that black is in fact areas that were simply not painted

TBH the mid height WRX wing kinda looks better. I'll doubt I'll stick with it tho, I hink I might look into a proper variable angle 22B style wing.

Not shouwn - badly fixes damage that has allowed a touch of rust. No biggie to fix. Rest of the car is resonably okay for 20 years old.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 3, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

LOL no one is even close :D

One hint - they fit on a Ferrari.

Tesla.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

We have a Winner!!!!!!!

When I get home I’ll post a pic. 🧐

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You kind of gave it away in the EV Anticipation thread, if one were aware of the challenge in this thread, though I wasn't certain.
Teslas do look to have some nice brakes (ironically, for something that does a lot of braking with regen.)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

We owe Tesla pics. Paging KB for Tesla pics....

Also... just had to check that iospace appears to be a SAS mod now? He who keeps insisting I post more kitties?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

We owe Tesla pics. Paging KB for Tesla pics....

Also... just had to check that iospace appears to be a SAS mod now? He who keeps insisting I post more kitties?

She, and I've been one for a while, now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

You kind of gave it away in the EV Anticipation thread, if one were aware of the challenge in this thread, though I wasn't certain.
Teslas do look to have some nice brakes (ironically, for something that does a lot of braking with regen.)

Oh they are very nice brakes - also lighter than I expected.

The interestng thing about Teslas is that a) They are actually really well designed and b) You have a really good look at them and the amount of off the shelf parts from other makers becomes evident. You dig through things and Ford stuff is there, you got GM and Honda parts, it's a real blend of stuff from everywhere and quite clearly OEM from somewhere else just with different part numbers. I know some shitposters think that if Tesla goes out of business that there wont be spares.... LOLNO. It's a case of parts cataloguing for quite an unexpected amount of it.

Now hte other thing is that the ones KB has pulled apart have taken some huge hits and been remarkably in shape. They are really REALLY well engineered structurally and the doors can still open from monsterous impacts that would crumple Volvos. That does mean that they are right loving bitches to repair - I would hate to try to straighten one on a jig, the amount of force required is huge. Cut n Shuts arent really viable either. Wheels and suspension on te other hand seem to get ripped out pretty easily in a crash. That might be a deliberate fuse however - and what I mean by fuse is a deliberate weaker point that fails first that is a sacrifice so that other areas dont get damaged. For the rally cars, thats why we run alloy front control arms - rather have them bend than for the subframe to be damaged.

I'm kinda curirous what a Tesla motor would look like in a Forester. I do know a R180 diff can handle a Tesla's torque (seen it first hand). Hmmmmmm

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm kinda curirous what a Tesla motor would look like in a Forester. I do know a R180 diff can handle a Tesla's torque (seen it first hand). Hmmmmmm
Eh, the R180 is ok, but why bother when you could get a Ford Falcon diff or an R200 from a Nissan? Both can take heaps more abuse and should have a better aftermarket for LSDs.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I would love to electrify one of my first-gen RX-7 chassis. Still a bit more to go where it's financially feasible, and even more to make it cheaper than putting in another rotary or other gas engine, even over long-ish term. Makes more sense to use Tesla units in RWD cars with IRS, though, due to the nature of the drive unit. Or FWD cars, I guess.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Unfortunately the Tesla brakes have been put on the back burner for the new alloy uprights.

On the other hand, the first parts off the car to be up for sale will be the RX7 4 spot rear brake conversion kit! 😂. We are now on version 2 and hopefully it’ll all be driving around by the weekend....🧐

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Will post drifting soon. For now....

Good quality? No. It's the framing of the plane v moon that makes them.

MURDER BIRDS

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

I took the STi out for a wee jaunt around the National capital, just to annoy the Hipsters.

https://www.grumblo.com/video/24476

5 points if you spot why I had bad fuel economy!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Kaptainballistik posted:

Unfortunately the Tesla brakes have been put on the back burner
Along with the rest of the car.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

Along with the rest of the car.

Ummmm

No..... that’s a mega post!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Kaptainballistik posted:

Ummmm

No..... that’s a mega post!

Nah I think that was a gag about Tesla's going up in flames, not where's the BRZ :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So a long time ago this thread was about laughing at Subarus and occasionally working on them.

I have some GC8 WRX seats I have lying about. Lets use them

Much to my bemusement it turns out the Forester seats have a seat belt warning wiring .... but not the WRX seats. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Easy swap tho, just remove wiring and seat belt latch fro Forester seat, mount to WRX seat

Annnnnnnd... honestly not as bad as it could have been for seats that have never been removed in 19 years. No money even.

No problem.

The chicken crossed the road

Passenger side in

Interesting results on a test drive - being now a good 5 cm lower the headroom in the car is enormous and if anything I see why this sint a popular upgrade - you sit too low mostly. Sun visors are useless. But the seat holds me in far better and it's more comfortable. I probably will look into raising the seatbase tho.

Not the last WRX part to go on that Forester by a long shot.

And for iospace and the other moderators / admins that for some reason read this thread (I have no idea why they would but they do????) here's some kitties

Sony A7R with the cheapest, nastiest lens I could buy. Mostly so I can learn about mirrorless Sony's and also dip my toe into full frame. The camera itself was only 400 bucks too which for a good FF body is stupid cheap. 16-50 garbage lens for the moment.

So I can see the camera wants to do better despite the lovely lens but it also has an interesting picture quality that the main cameras I have dont get with a much better subject seperation from the background (blurry backgrounds aka BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKEEEEEEH oh god I just bokeh'ed everywhere). I have tried it with a much better lens and it certainly delivers IF you can hit focus. Which isnt easy with this camera

I got paid to take MTB pics last weekend. A lot of fun and not too many crashes

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 3, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Passenger side in

Interesting results on a test drive - being now a good 5 cm lower the headroom in the car is enormous and if anything I see why this sint a popular upgrade - you sit too low mostly. Sun visors are useless. But the seat holds me in far better and it's more comfortable. I probably will look into raising the seatbase tho.

For years we had the seats in the 320i raised by an inch or so by sticking hockey sticks between the seat rail and the floor. Made a huge difference in visibility for me being short as hell. Shouldn't be too hard to stick in a steel/aluminum chunk to raise the seats whatever amount you want just make sure to use proper grade bolts and you should be fine.

Good cats

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
One of my Mazdas I put lower seats in because it had a sunroof which takes headroom. Normally that isn't a problem but I realized when putting on a helmet it really sucks.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

For years we had the seats in the 320i raised by an inch or so by sticking hockey sticks between the seat rail and the floor. Made a huge difference in visibility for me being short as hell. Shouldn't be too hard to stick in a steel/aluminum chunk to raise the seats whatever amount you want just make sure to use proper grade bolts and you should be fine.

Good cats

I'm kinda thinking I'll simply switch seat rails from the Forester seats. Or if I want to keep some of the lowness, just as you said, a steel plate to get the height I want.

But then again it'll work at this height for what I've been thinking about doing with the Forester. I think the next few posts it features in that'll become fairly evident it's not going to stay a 2 litre NA much longer. Not sure whether to be somewhat mental and drop in the 2.5 litre turbo or lose my loving mind entirely and use something else under the bench and go for something legit fast. Dunno yet.

Might see what the other half to be thinks before making a final call.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Nah I think that was a gag about Tesla's going up in flames, not where's the BRZ :D

'Twas a Tesla dig :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So apart from a cat, today's job was to prep the Forester for some other changes. Namely, I *have* to change the brakes - the stock ones are just at end of life. The disks are done, the pads are done and while I'm at it why not just go full WRX? The wheels were the stopping point. And since I felt like throwing a few bits on, why not put on WRX sway bars?

Also I have a big set of bars for the WreckX eventually so the stock 19mm comes off

....Ah. So the Forester's end links were busted.

...... Okay that was a surprise. I knew the Forester's rear bar was smaller, I didnt think it was THAT much smaller.

While I had the wheels off, gave these a bit of sizing. Not for now but they are intended.

Also to my surprise a WRX sway bar was already in front. Okay so wheels that will fit the brakes on...... yeah kinda looks silly. Suspension has settled since but those wheels will look better with a small suspension drop

Apart from 11psi in one tyre and 22 in the rest, it's road test proves the Forester is waaaaaaaay overtyred with 235/45 RE070 semi slicks - it cant generate enough heat into those tyres. And dramatically underpowered. Anyway, brakes are next

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

No pictures from today but a thought dump

The HKS coilovers are a no go. Simply put, they make the Forester a Stancer and god almighty gently caress THAT NO. Also the shock rates are completely wrong - what you would end up with is a nervous skatey bone rattler of a chassis that cant deal with anything beyond a rack track, and certainly cant jump ripple strips as I am want to do. Of course the swap from 215/65 Chinese all terrains to R- style tyres means a quantum leap in grip levels which I feel the chassis isnt really going to cope with either. Being overtyres is as much of an issue as being undertyred altho it's amusing to give the latest grip monsters problems until a straight line appears.

Part of the overtyred issue is the tyres themselves cant come up to working temps. The Forester just cant work the rubber in any way close to what a WRX can - so thence while okay the Forester will clear corners much quicker than it has a right to, the WRX is going to get that bit more because... well first the Forester is utterly incapable of reaching the speeds where the tyres make a difference and second the suspension cant work the tyres. So at this point in time even on a track the tyres are a complete waste of time.

Well anyway, I have a target to work to. First step of course will be the WRX brake package off a GC and then the WRX suspension... which TBH will give be more aggressive geometry esp with castor tweaks to work the tyres more. I dont want to be too low so a modest drop will be fine.

Engine-wise : of course it's going to be turboed. Just a modest target tho for now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

(Did I ever mention the new Sydney Metro is absurdly good? And 4 am you get the train to yourself)

I got told by a "journalist" a few months ago this car would never exist. Lets just say my expectations of any automotive "journalist" knowing jack and poo poo have been met, let alone from a online publication with a long history of being poo poo.

If you ever get to have some time in my garage ask me about my time doing journalist things and why I have such a low opinion of "automotive journalists" Turns out most of them know gently caress all about cars and just enjoy getting fellatio from car company PR

Yes I have a priaprism, why do you ask?

(It's a kit. But there's a 427 with a whipple S/C under the hood)

This really poo poo photo is of the yellow WRX coming back to life for the first time in 18 months.

........Okay. I think I can see I have some work ahead of me

Did you know that WRX STI wheels also came in silver in the late 90's? Well here you go on a old Forester. That clears a hurdle before the next mods

Even moved under it's own power too

Now if this looks like I'm about to do something sketchy...... you would be right

And somehow that strap managed not to break and the WReckX is finally back on four wheels and back outside

Honestly, spending the time to get it able to be moved about is a serious lift. Well I have a list of poo poo to do so.....

Ahhhh yes this motor is part of that list of poo poo to do. I wonder what car that is going into?

poo poo photo of that corner of the garage finally cleaned up so I can get more working space

Not so poo poo photo of todays final position in getting some order to chaos.

This weeks task - get the garage finally back in order so I can get to some serious work. I have two motors to rebuild and gearboxes / diffs to exchange in various cars. I kinda have the feeling I need to build a REALLY fast wagon and just letting things gather dust aint cutting it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Looking good, keep all 1st and 2nd gen Foresters going forever IMO

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Guys.

GUYS

Talk me down. I'm getting married next month. I have four loving projects I am working on. I don't really have the garage space. I *DONT* have the time or money

BUT IT'S 300 DOLLARS AND I HAVE ALL THE PARTS OTHER THAN HEADLIGHTS AND TAILIGHTS TO GET IT GOING AGAIN AND IT'S A FORESTER XT. gently caress NO HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLP ME I SHOULDNT DOOOO THIS

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Is it legal for import into Canada? If it has a build date older than July 2005, it's legal....

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Buy it for the plate alone.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Guys.

BUT IT'S 300 DOLLARS AND I HAVE ALL THE PARTS OTHER THAN HEADLIGHTS AND TAILIGHTS TO GET IT GOING AGAIN AND IT'S A FORESTER XT. gently caress NO HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLP ME I SHOULDNT DOOOO THIS

Well there you go, all it's going to cost you is spares. Oh and the lights. You've got everything else - cheap project ahoy! :D

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I normally talk friends down from spending money on stuff but given you can make it go on the road again in a month or less: it's a good chassis for $300 AUD loving get on it.

Also sell the drat thing and make a buck.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
3rding this. Fix n flip, fund other projects as long as it's not going to eat into your spares too hard.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

While I ponder wether the wife-to-be will murder me if I went mental and got the XT here's some other content

Buried under piles of car parts.... just a BIT out of date

Well I have been threatening to reveal the engine for the Forester for a while and...... here it is. Something to make the Gorester look tame

Yes it's a H6. Yes the intention is for forced induction.

And first things first is I need to tear it down. It takes 47 bolts to remove the timing chain cover and a frightening amount of breaker bar to remove the bolt on the front of the pully

Now if you notice there appears to be some kitty litter...?

HOOOOORAY the fuckwits didnt drain the oil so there's a mother loving oil slick now.

Well. THAT's off to a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
EZ30 out of an outback/Liberty?