Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Years ago in the county where I grew up there was a vote to limit class sizes to like, 25 kids max or something, and to pay for it there was going to be a half-cent sales tax increase, except stupidly they put them as separate votes on the ballot. Naturally everyone voted yes on the first one and no on the second one, despite the language making it perfectly clear that the second one was needed to pay for the first one.

I think that was a perfect crystallization of the good ol' American spirit of "we generally want nice things to happen as long as we don't ever have to do even the smallest thing to get them" :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shame Boy posted:

My favorite thing that happened on the fourth of July was the F-35 flyover getting cancelled because of rain :laugh:

good thing it never rains in countries we want to invade

cloud seeding is the new iron dome

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

If you're wondering, yes, for the next like ten years there was a hard class size limit and no money to pay for it which was real fun.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Whoever split up the ballot positions like that knew what they were doing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Whoever split up the ballot positions like that knew what they were doing.

Oh definitely, this is Florida, we have a long and storied tradition of loving with ballot stuff for wacky results that continues to this day. Just ask our many new state constitutional amendments that we just passed in 2018, like the one that gives death benefits to first-responders and also redefines and restricts the state college system, or the one which both bans offshore drilling and indoor vaping

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

All of them including the worst, stupidest ones passed except one that was basically just "give a free tax cut to property owners" which makes me a tiny bit happy at least. Also we passed a few good ones like giving people with past felony convictions the right to vote back (which the legislature is currently trying to gently caress up as much as possible) so that's kinda nice.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Jel Shaker posted:

I’ve spoken to some retired people who honestly believe that they should not pay tax for education because they’re not using it

until the boomer population swell is worked out this will continue to be a huge issue

this is the entire reason age 55+ communities exist, so they don't have to pay for schools

old people suck

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Jel Shaker posted:

I’ve spoken to some retired people who honestly believe that they should not pay tax for education because they’re not using it

until the boomer population swell is worked out this will continue to be a huge issue

My taxes shouldn't pay for Social Security or Medicare because I'm not using those.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

My favorite thing that happened on the fourth of July was the F-35 flyover getting cancelled because of rain :laugh:

why didnt they just tell trump they did it but he couldnt see them because the f-35 is literally invisible

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

Years ago in the county where I grew up there was a vote to limit class sizes to like, 25 kids max or something, and to pay for it there was going to be a half-cent sales tax increase, except stupidly they put them as separate votes on the ballot. Naturally everyone voted yes on the first one and no on the second one, despite the language making it perfectly clear that the second one was needed to pay for the first one.

I think that was a perfect crystallization of the good ol' American spirit of "we generally want nice things to happen as long as we don't ever have to do even the smallest thing to get them" :patriot:

I can't imagine a class size of over 25. I almost get run over by a class of 18.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I can't imagine a class size of over 25. I almost get run over by a class of 18.

The limit might have been lower, this was almost two decades ago, but I definitely remember a few stories of class sizes at the time being up in the low 30's.

Apparently we now have a state law in effect as of 2011 that sets limits as:

quote:

18 students in prekindergarten through grade 3;
22 students in grades 4 through 8; and
25 students in grades 9 through 12.

But while looking that up I found out that back in the county I grew up:

quote:

In a strategic decision to save money, Brevard Public Schools allowed about 30 of its 82 schools to have more students per class than allowed by state law.

While the official state report is not yet available, district estimates on Friday show that the impact of breaking Florida's Class Size Reduction Amendment varies between schools and classes.

Cocoa Beach Jr./Sr. High has one class out of compliance, but Williams Elementary in Rockledge has eight over the limit, according to the district count. And, then, there were schools like Viera High, which is in compliance in every class.

The school district will have to pay a fine to the state. But the amount will be far less than what the school district would have had to pay to hire the extra teachers needed to comply with the caps.

For context Cocoa Beach is a relatively mixed-wealth skewing upper-middle place, Viera is a cookie-cutter house neighborhood that was made entirely by developers in the early 2000's full of awful white people families, and while Rockledge itself is full of rich people the much larger area around it that the school serves is a mostly poor region with lots of minorities. I'm sure that has nothing to do with anything though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why should I have to pay for things?

In fact, why aren't you paying me instead? I deserve more

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Why should I have to pay for things?

In fact, why aren't you paying me instead? I deserve more

Democracy only works until people figure out they can vote to give themselves all the money!!!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

The limit might have been lower, this was almost two decades ago, but I definitely remember a few stories of class sizes at the time being up in the low 30's.

It's amazing what a major effect class size has on outcomes.

I've got a buddy who teaches a 1st grade class of just 14 kids. Every one of those kids is well above standards simply because she's able to devote a significant amount of time to each child vs spending so much time on classroom management and just staying above water.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

Apparently we now have a state law in effect as of 2011 that sets limits as:

But while looking that up I found out that back in the county I grew up:

For context Cocoa Beach is a relatively mixed-wealth skewing upper-middle place, Viera is a cookie-cutter house neighborhood that was made entirely by developers in the early 2000's full of awful white people families, and while Rockledge itself is full of rich people the much larger area around it that the school serves is a mostly poor region with lots of minorities. I'm sure that has nothing to do with anything though.

One thing I always chuckle about as a mathbrain person is how nakedly pointless fines like this are. It would be easy to set the fine as a function of the cost to actually comply with the law, but lolnope.

Actually i don't chuckle about it it makes me angry.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Warmachine posted:

One thing I always chuckle about as a mathbrain person is how nakedly pointless fines like this are. It would be easy to set the fine as a function of the cost to actually comply with the law, but lolnope.

Actually i don't chuckle about it it makes me angry.

Yeah, but if you set the fines as a function of ability to pay or gain from violation, wealthy entities wouldn't be able to ignore them, and poor ones wouldn't be entirely hosed over by them. How is that American?!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thanatosian posted:

My taxes shouldn't pay for Social Security or Medicare because I'm not using those.

the problem is they'd agree because plenty of these people think these things are savings accounts they're now drawing from and not insurance programs

then again they probably don't know how insurance works either

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/JohnGHendy/status/1146062322265313280

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
really on track to every secular holiday being memorial day

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I do wonder if it's a coincidence that that thing looks so much like a Panzer IV. :godwinning:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Inept posted:

this is the entire reason age 55+ communities exist, so they don't have to pay for schools

old people suck

That’s completely wrong. They still have to pay property (school) taxes for the municipality but they don’t add kids To the district so schools actually love them

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The grocery store by my place had one of those only most of it was gone

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
symbolically dismantling the imperialist war machine by sharing good times with others

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
i always vote for the education and public transit millages and vote against the ones for the police. thats my policy thanks for listening

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The New Zealand government recently assembled a working group, led by a former finance minister, who reviewed our tax system. After the group released their findings (recommending a capital gains tax among other things, same as every tax review in the last 30 years has done) the head of the working group said in an interview "everyone wants equality but no one wants to pay for it" and it basically summed up exactly what the government's cowardly response was to the recommendations

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bike tory posted:

Um just to be clear I was being facetious. I'm not seriously suggesting that the US become a military state.

Jesus goons

That would probably be an improvement but my point is that the Free Market Child Gulag party isnt going to be the ones to do it

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

bike tory posted:

Um just to be clear I was being facetious. I'm not seriously suggesting that the US become a military state.

Jesus goons

Yes, it's just that everyone revers the military to an insane degree, the military budget is enormous and increasing every year and the US is involved in like seven wars at all times (remember the US soldiers that died in Niger in 2017, when everbody was asking themselves the question "We are fighting a war in Niger??")

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
"The coal industry can't just regulate itself" huh? Checkmate, shitlibs.
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1147137164981035009?s=20

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer

if this was just a giant box of ordinary sour patch kids I'd loving devour it

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

ReelBigLizard posted:

a good start

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

Sale taxes are regressive, and money is fungible. :colbert:

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

New Joker origin film looking good

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Not gonna lie I wanna try those

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Vomik posted:

a good start

Achievement Unlocked: Kill 1 Billionaire. 499 Ranks Remaining.

The deaths that kind of wealth requires makes it not just ethical, but also carbon-negative!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

thats funny, they say you have to pay for toilet paper but it looks like theres some for free just taped to the wall right there

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

That looks like an april fools joke or something. A workplace making employees buy their own TP I can believe, but the 90c/sheet stretches credibility.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

ah the glory of capitalism, grinding people to paste but hey we get like 50 different brandings of sweetened corn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Ow my teeth!