Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, the last mudra is the only one that matter, I myself have control + qwe r setup for them so its mostly stuff like "3, end on w for doton" or "2, end on q for hyoton"
and it makes it a lot easier to remember once you have a little mucle memory. The two most important ones are just walking along the keys in one direction too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i'm right before the final trial and holy poo poo this is the most final fantasy rear end final fantasy i've final fantasied in a while

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If you don't look like a Step Up 2 protagonist don't dance with me.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

This reminds me yall should augment gear so that you can dye it, the gunblade for example dyes really nice.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Post MSQ spoilers

Someone just showed me this from discord.

Now open your eyes while our plight is repeated
Still deaf to our cries, lost in hope we lie defeated
Our souls have been torn, and our bodies forsaken
Bearing sins of the past, for our future is taken

From Answers

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Oxyclean posted:

Well poo poo that might even be easier to remember then how I was thinking of it. I feel dumb for missing that.

I missed it for a long time, too. Blew my mind when a friend pointed it out to me in HW.

The only time you need to think deeper than that is when you’re doing a tenchijin and need to actually do a specific order of mudras, but there are only ever two you’re going to use, aoe and single target, so it doesn’t take too long to get those down.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh god help I want to level everything.

I've already maxed my RDM and I was thinking of doing MCH next, but then decided catching up DNC wouldn't be too hard, so both of those are at 72. I'm also tempted to check out WHM, but I kinda want to do GNB as well, and now I'm thinking of NIN again, as well as DRG.

I really wish I could use to go into the 71 dungeon at 70 or something. It'd be a great way to shake some of the rust off my alts. Plus the options for 70-71 are pretty much daily roulette or grinding fates...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Aag.

I wanna click all the spoilers but I'm stuck on the 73 trial because I thought I could pug it. And also I'm apparently shy about asking in <dgkk><a nut> or something.

Mainly right now I just want to go home and play because work is stupid

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mister No posted:

Glad to see that FFXIV is continuing the grand tradition of making fairies loving terrifying.

Once you realize that all of those human-shaped pieces of topiary used to be people, several areas of Il Mheg become horrifying.

Oxyclean posted:

Oh god help I want to level everything.

I've already maxed my RDM and I was thinking of doing MCH next, but then decided catching up DNC wouldn't be too hard, so both of those are at 72. I'm also tempted to check out WHM, but I kinda want to do GNB as well, and now I'm thinking of NIN again, as well as DRG.

I really wish I could use to go into the 71 dungeon at 70 or something. It'd be a great way to shake some of the rust off my alts. Plus the options for 70-71 are pretty much daily roulette or grinding fates...

For what it's worth, WHM is fantastic this expansion, speaking as someone who previously avoided it like the plague. It takes until 76 for the kit to completely come together, but, after that point, it always feels like you have a button for the situation. The minigame of plotting out your Lily usage and other instants to maximize your mobility and minimize clipping is a hell of a lot of fun, and there's a simple, primal pleasure in whacking something for 60k with AfMisery or popping it in the middle of a huge dungeon pull and seeing everything melt.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 5, 2019

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Vermain posted:

Once you realize that all of those human-shaped pieces of topiary used to be people, several areas of Il Mheg become horrifying.

Once you do the quest where the pixie tells you it has to sneak up on its victims because the last person it attacked saw it and started running and now it's just a bush that looks like it's running and screaming in terror and that makes it look like a terrible bush, that's when it really sinks in how creepy these things really are.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Once you do the quest where the pixie tells you it has to sneak up on its victims because the last person it attacked saw it and started running and now it's just a bush that looks like it's running and screaming in terror and that makes it look like a terrible bush, that's when it really sinks in how creepy these things really are.

The lesson here is to be friends with fairies *before* you barge into their home. And even then, play nice.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Ibblebibble posted:

If you don't look like a Step Up 2 protagonist don't dance with me.

Good shot but you really should use [timg]

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vermain posted:

For what it's worth, WHM is fantastic this expansion, speaking as someone who previously avoided it like the plague. It takes until 76 for the kit to completely come together, but, after that point, it always feels like you have a button for the situation. The minigame of plotting out your Lily usage and other instants to maximize your mobility and minimize clipping is a hell of a lot of fun, and there's a simple, primal pleasure in whacking something for 60k with AfMisery or popping it in the middle of a huge dungeon pull and seeing everything melt.

Yeah, I totally got the vibe it was the healer that made it out the best from the changes, which is sort of vindicating after it being my favorite of the healers (nostalgia + straightforward + holy & assize) and having to hear about how SCH and AST were always "better." :v:

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I kind of wanna try WHM now, but I think my CNJ is only level 15.

SCH is still a lot of fun for me, but the Aetherflow changes are... not great. Also, only have 3 DPS buttons, one of which being a PBAoE that doesn't even stun but eats up MP like nobody's business, is SO boring in sub-70 dungeons where the Fairy can do most of the heavy lifting.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Vermain posted:

Like this?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Half the group of fae in Il Mehg murder people by either drowning orturning into shrubbery, the other is a group of dogs who love a fair deal but will demand your life if you slight them enough and the amano are just really sad camel birds

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Minrad posted:

My own pet theory is that it's going to be somehow related to the Echo, considering how the tremor was described and the literal name of the Echo.

The Echo itself is still unexplained and after the great Ascian reveal probably the greatest mystery left in the game. People assumed it was related to Hydaelyn's blessing but at this point the Ascians have used it, the Garleans have artifically engineered it, and we've got weird variations of it coming from other shards like Uku's thing... That means it's likely outside the domain of Zodiark and Hydaelyn, and thus far this is the first thing we've seen that's truly beyond the two of them with the unexplained calamity kickstarter the Ascians faced.

It'll be interesting to see if the echo becomes more relevant beyond all the goofy poo poo it does now, like letting us see the "future" and the past and translate languages... especially now that we've got more time travel shenanigans than ever what with the Exarch and what the future Ironworks did :v:

My bet is the Echo means you've a reincarnation and have got an un-rejoined Ascian soul. I also feel like the Final Days was triggered by some external factor, but once it started they put themselves into a positive feedback loop of destruction.

I also like how there's a quest that essentially explains how/why crafting with crystals works, that it's the legacy of those creation matrix things.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Can someone rap with me on BLM? I've not played it since ARR and I'm both trying to remember the flow and process the new stuff they get post 50 or got changed post expansion.

So Enocian is pretty much always going to be on so long as you don't let Astral Fire or Ice drop? The cooldown seems short enough that it seems like remembering to turn it back on is basically just an attention tax.

So for fighting packs of monsters, it seems like the rotation is (from no fire/ice aspect)Thunder 4 -> Freeze -> Enochian -> Blizzard 4 -> Flare away your Umbral Ices -> Despair -> manafont -> Despair -> Ether -> Despair -> Transpose -> repeat with Foul and thundercloud mixed in when those come up.

I think where I'm having issues is on single target. Fire & Blizzard 4 don't seem to switch aspects so I still need to cast Fire/Bliz 1 to keep astral fire/ice up and running?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah Synthesis has always been stated to be actual magic which is why you just need the general materials and crystals as fuel for the reaction. Also why everything blows up when you fail, from the reaction going haywire.

It's very much a lesser form kf of creation magics that requires raw materials as well as aether instead of pure aether like the Amaurians used

It's pretty cool to see how it was tied into the story in a non-blatant way. I didn't even catch it until someone pointed it out.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

ukrainius maximus posted:

How do you decide on a job to play? I have BLM at 50 and I just unlocked Samurai and Red Mage. Red Mage seems totally awesome but I also have other jobs middling in the 30s and I think I just always end up wasting too much of my time skipping around different jobs. I'd also like to try Ninja but I'm only at 15 as a rogue :(

Echoing the other goons about picking one class to get to max first.

After that I'm picking the classes I level next based on gear to save inventory space lol. For example I'm leveling healers more or less in a block where I'll play 1 on the side for 10 levels and then I get the others caught up. Then I can throw out all that leveling gear without feeling bad.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

DeathSandwich posted:

Can someone rap with me on BLM? I've not played it since ARR and I'm both trying to remember the flow and process the new stuff they get post 50 or got changed post expansion.

So Enocian is pretty much always going to be on so long as you don't let Astral Fire or Ice drop? The cooldown seems short enough that it seems like remembering to turn it back on is basically just an attention tax.

So for fighting packs of monsters, it seems like the rotation is (from no fire/ice aspect)Thunder 4 -> Freeze -> Enochian -> Blizzard 4 -> Flare away your Umbral Ices -> Despair -> manafont -> Despair -> Ether -> Despair -> Transpose -> repeat with Foul and thundercloud mixed in when those come up.

I think where I'm having issues is on single target. Fire & Blizzard 4 don't seem to switch aspects so I still need to cast Fire/Bliz 1 to keep astral fire/ice up and running?

I'd be happy to talk BLM!

Enochian should always be up once it goes up. Of course, accidents happen, but ideally it will NEVER fall off. Casting any non-4 fire or ice spell refreshes its timer to 15 seconds, so you don't have to remember to turn it back on. In fact, re-casting it if it's still up as a bad idea, as it puts it on cooldown and gives you a (short) animation delay for 0 benefit.

For Multitarget, the rotation changes as you level and you get the level 68 and 72 passives, but the core of your 80 rotation is Freeze -> Fire 3 -> Flare -> Flare, repeat, sprinkling in Thunder 4 and Foul as necessary.

For single target, you need to cast just one fire1 in the middle of your fire4 spam to refresh astral fire, but you shouldn't have to be in umbral ice long enough to need to cast blizzard 1 unless something's gone wrong.

The basic rotation for BLM, assuming no procs or cooldowns, would be Blizz 3, Thunder 3, Blizz 4, Xenoglossy, Fire 3, Fire 4 x3, Fire 1, Fire 4 x3, Despair, repeat. However, movement, procs, and cooldowns will alter this dramatically as you juggle making the most out of your MP during AF, dealing with movement, keeping uptime on the thunder dot, ensuring you are in UI long enough to recover to full MP, avoiding wasting procs, dealing with MP ticks in UI, and making sure you don't cap out on polyglot charges.

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 5, 2019

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?

DeathSandwich posted:

For AoE, freeze, enochian, thunder 4, fire 3, flare, flare, manafont, flare, ether, flare, freeze, repeat. If there are enough enemies (I think 5+?) I think you skip the fire 3 and just do freeze flare flare.

For single target, it’ll be something like: blizzard 3, enochian, thunder 3, blizzard 4, fire 3, fire 4x3, Fire, Fire 4x3, despair, (manafont, Fire 4, despair), blizzard 3, xeno, repeat. Ideally, you only hit enochian once, so you keep your foul timer running.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

isk posted:

Good shot but you really should use [timg]

Everyone gets to see me in my full glory.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

CuddlyZombie posted:

For Multitarget, the rotation changes as you level and you get the level 68 and 72 passives, but the core of your 80 rotation is Freeze -> Fire 3 -> Flare -> Flare, repeat, sprinkling in Thunder 4 and Foul as necessary.

If you really want to optimize (and just have fun in general!), at 5+ targets you're better off omitting the Fire 3 entirely and just swapping between Freeze and Flare directly. I think BLM is kind of funny where for every additional target between 2-5, you change out one spell for another :v:

Enochian/Thundercloud procs used to be reserved for UI but these days just slam out Xeno/TC at any point and just make up for it with Fire 1 (or despair if you lined it up correctly). Thundercloud is best used when your existing Thunder DOT is at 10 seconds or less (read: down to its last 3 procs since it takes 1 second to reapply), but if you're going to lose TC before your existing DOT reaches that point just slam it out anyway.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Emalde posted:

If you really want to optimize (and just have fun in general!), at 5+ targets you're better off omitting the Fire 3 entirely and just swapping between Freeze and Flare directly. I think BLM is kind of funny where for every additional target between 2-5, you change out one spell for another :v:

Enochian/Thundercloud procs used to be reserved for UI but these days just slam out Xeno/TC at any point and just make up for it with Fire 1 (or despair if you lined it up correctly). Thundercloud is best used when your existing Thunder DOT is at 10 seconds or less (read: down to its last 3 procs since it takes 1 second to reapply), but if you're going to lose TC before your existing DOT reaches that point just slam it out anyway.

Ooh, I didn't know about that 5+ target info, interesting!

And yeah, I loving love that Thundercloud and Xeno (and even, in certain cases, hardcasted Thunder3) can be casted in AF phase now, especially because I feel very smart for having figured that out myself when I realized the implications of the new MP costs and the new MP tick system.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Actually, as long as we're talking BLM AOE I have two questions. Firstly, if I'm getting thundercloud procs like crazy off of T4, how often should I be using the proc? It sucks to see a proc munched, but it also feels bad to reapply it so soon after I just applied it!

Secondly, after I cast Freeze, if I'm extra unlucky with server ticks and in my leylines, there is a chance that I could cast and finish Fire3 before my first MP tick. Besides doing my best to make sure I either have thundercloud or foul up when entering UI, is there anything else I could do? I suppose the 5+ AOE rotation would not have to worry about that due to Flare's longer cast time.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

ChaseSP posted:

Yeah Synthesis has always been stated to be actual magic which is why you just need the general materials and crystals as fuel for the reaction. Also why everything blows up when you fail, from the reaction going haywire.

It's very much a lesser form kf of creation magics that requires raw materials as well as aether instead of pure aether like the Amaurians used

It's pretty cool to see how it was tied into the story in a non-blatant way. I didn't even catch it until someone pointed it out.

Agreed, and I guess that explains why the WoL can be the best at every form of synthesis, if we're presumably a 7x rejoined soul of someone who was pretty high up in Amaurotine society.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

DeathSandwich posted:

Other people have pointed out the actual rotation, but you seem to have misunderstood how certain spells interact so I thought you should know.

Flare uses up all of your Umbral Hearts no matter how many you have. That means that in an AOE rotation there's no reason to use Blizz 4 since Freeze gives you 1 Umbral Heart after level 68 (which is also the level Umbral Hearts begin to affect Flare at all).

There's no reason to ever cast Despair in an AOE rotation since it's basically just single target Flare and follows all the same rules (except Despair isn't affected by Umbral Hearts at all).

After 72, all Ice spells cost 0 MP when you have Astral Fire 3. This means there's no reason to use Transpose as part of your rotation anymore: you just switch back with Freeze or Blizz 3.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

small bird pudding posted:

Agreed, and I guess that explains why the WoL can be the best at every form of synthesis, if we're presumably a 7x rejoined soul of someone who was pretty high up in Amaurotine society.

8x rejoined soul now :black101:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Re: ninja mudras. I have one of those MMO mice with all the buttons on them and I just put the three mudras in an order with the 'activate' button as a separate one. The two most common mudras I use (Huton and Suiton) are basically just 1->2->3 and 3->2->1 so they are easy to always remember. Also, like the previous poster mentioned it's just the last one that matters anyway so 1->2->3 is the same as 2->1->3.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

uncurable mlady posted:

i'm right before the final trial and holy poo poo this is the most final fantasy rear end final fantasy i've final fantasied in a while

Wasn't Hades supposed to be the final boss of Final Fantasy IX?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Kerrzhe posted:

8x rejoined soul now :black101:

9x, given the first wol prejoinings also had one I assume if all the warriors of light are shards of the same ancient/ascian which seems safe to say.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

ChaseSP posted:

9x, given the first wol prejoinings also had one I assume if all the warriors of light are shards of the same ancient/ascian which seems safe to say.

Look at you and your math. Someone mentioned Unukulhai earlier, and I actually went back to Mor Dhona after finishing the MSQ to see if they'd updated his dialogue again. It's still pre-ShB MSQ dialogue though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Wasn't Hades supposed to be the final boss of Final Fantasy IX?

Nah, he's a reoccurring summon in the series. He's actually an optional boss you can fight BEFORE the final boss of FFIX and has a special shop.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, he's a reoccurring summon in the series. He's actually an optional boss you can fight BEFORE the final boss of FFIX and has a special shop.

ah. that explains why he had such an odd borrowed name, instead of an odd made-up name. classic hades!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i need to level blm

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kerrzhe posted:

ah. that explains why he had such an odd borrowed name, instead of an odd made-up name. classic hades!

It's also not the first time a summon is used as the final boss of a x.0 :v:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Another dumb noob question: is there a guide out there for simplifying hot bars or useful macros on a class by class basis? I've done pretty well so far by keeping down to two hotbars for my WAR but I just hit 50 and I am at the point where it looks like I'm going to have to add a third hotbar or use macros or trimming some role stuff that maybe isn't as useful and I don't really know what I'm doing because I haven't really played any MMOs. I want to get things organized as well as I can on the road to level 80 so I don't get overwhelmed by hud creep.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I totally got the vibe it was the healer that made it out the best from the changes, which is sort of vindicating after it being my favorite of the healers (nostalgia + straightforward + holy & assize) and having to hear about how SCH and AST were always "better." :v:

As someone who played WHM through the entire SB savage tier, the lilly changes and Afflatus spells were EXACTLY what WHM needed and they make the class feel so much better to play. Instant GCD heals were a brilliant way to solve WHM's mobility problems and ability to fit in oGCDs without clipping without blurring their class identity with SCH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

End of MSQ spoilers:

I had been wanting some FFX stuff in this game for a while and now they put the whole finale in Zanarkand :v: