Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
its not torture, its enhanced interrogation®

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Camp Notalottafun

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

shame on an IGA posted:

I've really enjoyed trolling my family into blocking me on facebook by going "Wait let me ask the Cherokee burial ground in my backyard about that" every time they start up on some nativist bullshit

How could that offend them since isn’t like everyone in the Midwest have a Cherokee princess relative?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Let’s rename them to Reservations.

We could really be heading to a trail of tears 2.0 if the administration decides to ease overcrowding by leading people back over the border.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Just how many need to die in our wonderful happy fun time summer camps before we're comfortable calling them concentration camps?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

How could that offend them since isn’t like everyone in the Midwest have a Cherokee princess relative?

Maybe but these are hick rear end southerners, they're not gonna play a card that makes them not-white

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I'm sorry, but while you can didactically make an argument for quoting Webster or whatever at me to say that "concentration camp" is totally kosher to use for any form of forced-internment camp, and that the term has technically been in use since the 1900s, don't pretend to tell me that this has always been the popular understanding of the term. America - to this day - doesn't call the atrocities committed upon its own goddamn people of Japanese descent in the 40s "concentration camps", so don't throw the loving dictionary at me. Especially not when everyone's fine with the Swastika-comparisons of the Trump administration.

gently caress this administration proper and all of the inhumane poo poo it wreaks, but stop hiding behind definitions to pretend you're not employing a hyperbole to drive a point home. Y'all drat well know what the gently caress kind of establishment you're talking about when you invoke "concentration camp".
If you don't, feel free to visit one.

Hell, I'll loving guide you around one myself. Book a trip to Germany, and I'll cover board and lodging, we'll take a quick trip to southeast of Katowice and then finish it up with another little detour northeast of Krakow.

Jesus loving Christ.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

/r/gatekeeping

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'm sorry we're delegitimizing your tourist attractions

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm sorry, but while you can didactically make an argument for quoting Webster or whatever at me to say that "concentration camp" is totally kosher to use for any form of forced-internment camp, and that the term has technically been in use since the 1900s, don't pretend to tell me that this has always been the popular understanding of the term. America - to this day - doesn't call the atrocities committed upon its own goddamn people of Japanese descent in the 40s "concentration camps", so don't throw the loving dictionary at me. Especially not when everyone's fine with the Swastika-comparisons of the Trump administration.

gently caress this administration proper and all of the inhumane poo poo it wreaks, but stop hiding behind definitions to pretend you're not employing a hyperbole to drive a point home. Y'all drat well know what the gently caress kind of establishment you're talking about when you invoke "concentration camp".

Hell, I'll loving guide you around one myself. Book a trip to Germany, and I'll cover board and lodging, we'll take a quick trip to southeast of Katowice and then finish it up with another little detour northeast of Krakow.

Jesus loving Christ.

They’re concentration camps.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

We don’t need to go all the way to Germany to see the results of wiping out an entire race of people.
It’s in our backyard. It’s what we do as a country if given any slack.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I'm sorry we're delegitimizing your tourist attractions

Sobibor, Belzec, Treblinka, Auschwitz

Tourist attractions

How do you live with yourself posting edgelord-poo poo like this, genuine question.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
They're concentration camps. It just turns out concentration camps != genocide or systematic extermination.

quote:

A concentration camp is a place where people are imprisoned not because of any crimes they have committed, but simply because of who they are. Although many groups have been singled out for such persecution throughout history, the term 'concentration camp' was first used at the turn of the [20th] century in the Spanish American and Boer Wars. During World War II, America's concentration camps were clearly distinguishable from Nazi Germany's. Nazi camps were places of torture, barbarous medical experiments and summary executions; some were extermination centers with gas chambers. Six million Jews were slaughtered in the Holocaust. Many others, including Gypsies, Poles, homosexuals and political dissidents were also victims of the Nazi concentration camps. In recent years, concentration camps have existed in the former Soviet Union, Cambodia and Bosnia. Despite differences, all had one thing in common: the people in power removed a minority group from the general population and the rest of society let it happen.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Duzzy, they're concentration camps.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Tourist attractions

How do you live with yourself posting edgelord-poo poo like this, genuine question.

You’re gonna have to wait to get an answer.

I get what you’re saying, Duzzy, and the comparison is troubling. It’s supposed to be troubling. Because it’s apt.

Holocaust experts are calling the comparisons apt.

It’s not a straight shot from here to extermination camps, but we’ve definitely started down the road that leads there. It took the Nazis over a decade to get to extermination, as I’m sure you know, and I think we’ve started the process here.

The frog is in the pan and the heat is on.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

America - to this day - doesn't call the atrocities committed upon its own goddamn people of Japanese descent in the 40s "concentration camps", so don't throw the loving dictionary at me.

Those were concentration camps. The fact that the government refuses to recognize them as such is also part of the problem.

When people call these concentration camps, they're not saying that they're exactly like Auschwitz at the height of the Holocaust. Denying that they are concentration camps is denying that they have the potential to become much worse.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Those were concentration camps. The fact that the government refuses to recognize them as such is also part of the problem.

When people call these concentration camps, they're not saying that they're exactly like Auschwitz at the height of the Holocaust. Denying that they are concentration camps is denying that they have the potential to become much worse.

Eh, I get what you're saying I guess, it just hits home a little harder, and I can't pretend I'm not biased on the issue.

I still love you all, and if you get a chance, punch a Nazi in the face <3

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Duzzy my dude they're concentration camps. Are they at the same level of scale and horror that Treblinka, Auschwitz, Bergen-Belsen and the rest? Absolutely not.

Do they fit the textbook definition of what a Concentration Camp is? Absolutely

The Spanish had them. The Brits had them. The Americans had then. I'd argue that us polite wonderful Canadians had them (Residential Schools). Aussies have them. Soviets had them.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Woof Blitzer posted:

They’re concentration camps.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

MA-Horus posted:

Duzzy my dude they're concentration camps. Are they at the same level of scale and horror that Treblinka, Auschwitz, Bergen-Belsen and the rest? Absolutely not.

Do they fit the textbook definition of what a Concentration Camp is? Absolutely

The Spanish had them. The Brits had them. The Americans had then. I'd argue that us polite wonderful Canadians had them (Residential Schools). Aussies have them. Soviets had them.

Chinese have them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Really the lesson of he holocaust should be "never again, anywhere, even a bit, not even step 1 of many," rather than "I'm gonna need to see some serious stacks of bodies before I do something rash like using stark and unabashed language."

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

LingcodKilla posted:

Chinese have them.

Yup, forgot about the Uighurs. That's a goddamn humanitarian catastrophe that's being neatly swept under the rug.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

okay like some other poster said lets call the holocaust ones death camps

bing bing bong, so simple

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Yup, forgot about the Uighurs. That's a goddamn humanitarian catastrophe that's being neatly swept under the rug.
What? You expect some moral leadership on this issue from this administration?! Hahahaha

Xi is Donnie's buddy now.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

okay like some other poster said lets call the holocaust ones death camps

bing bing bong, so simple

Consider being less of a dick.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

also this opposition to that term is insanely weird to me

drawing comparisons between what the current administration is doing to historical parallels and highlighting the end result of one particular historical parallel can and does stir people to action because they don't want to be complicit in a possible genocide. there's no downside to it

e: McNally my dude I made that comment in totally good faith. I get why it's an emotional subject for forums poster Duzzy Funlop but these semantics arguments are so weird when people are, literally, dying because of this

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Clips and magazines but for genocide

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

e: McNally my dude I made that comment in totally good faith. I get why it's an emotional subject for forums poster Duzzy Funlop but these semantics arguments are so weird when people are, literally, dying because of this

“bing bing bong so simple” is not a good faith argument my dude.

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

if antifascist jewish orgs are calling them concentration camps then the rest of us don’t have any right to stand in their way
https://mobile.twitter.com/outlivethemnyc/status/1143978711294853121
https://mobile.twitter.com/JFREJNYC/status/1146511928224866304
https://mobile.twitter.com/NeverAgainActn/status/1147167354624851969

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

McNally posted:

“bing bing bong so simple” is not a good faith argument my dude.

you're right, that part is my b

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Running around limp dicked calling them "processing centers" would be so on brand for the democratic party I'm shocked that anyone is calling it what it is.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

Yeah, yeah, it's all good, I've taken a breather. I just got all furious on the keyboard, because the term triggers something pretty drat visceral in me.

Real-talk and genuine promise: If any of y'all swing by my corner of DAS EUROPE and would like to augment your trip with some impactful poo poo, I'd be happy to take you to some sites around here and in Poland.
The first time I wanted to go to Birkenau and Treblinka, I had planned a super efficient round-trip (insert German joke) with "only" 16 hours of driving that would have me visit both sites and then drive home via Frankfurt Oder, I drove past Birkenau on the way to the Auschwitz museum, turned around into the Birkenau memorial parking lot, stayed 90 minutes, and drove home immediately.

I went back for Treblinka a month later, and while it's an entirely different experience (due to literally not a single brick of the original buildings still being there), it was possibly the most eerie experience I've had in my life.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
At this point the horse is dead guys.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Tourist attractions

I get the point you’re making but Nazi extermination camps aren’t the sole form of concentration camp. While the Trump admin isn’t actively committing genocide (yet), it’s still an apt name for what we’re doing with migrants & refugees in the southern US.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Flying_Crab posted:

I get the point you’re making but Nazi extermination camps aren’t the sole form of concentration camp. While the Trump admin isn’t actively committing genocide (yet), it’s still an apt name for what we’re doing with migrants & refugees in the southern US.

Canada is though lol

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...562439828310627

Get on our level bitches we had residential schools till the goddamn nineties please don't :ohdear:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-census/white-house-faces-court-deadline-to-reveal-u-s-census-citizenship-plan-idUSKCN1U01LG

The president is considering an executive order to add the citizenship question to the census

McNally fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 5, 2019

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Of course. If the courts don't rule your way, just make it an executive order and bypass them completely!

Thanks, Obama.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Getting these hysterical mailers from the nra makes my day. It has some 3 page rambling shitshow full of the LIEBRALS are LYING and a poll on what you support reatricting. gently caress it restrict and register and background check for everything assholes. The only thing i didnt checkbox support on was a straight up ban on all semi autos.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Stravag posted:

Getting these hysterical mailers from the nra makes my day. It has some 3 page rambling shitshow full of the LIEBRALS are LYING and a poll on what you support reatricting. gently caress it restrict and register and background check for everything assholes. The only thing i didnt checkbox support on was a straight up ban on all semi autos.

Put some fishing weights into the postage paid return envelopes.

Or tape it to a brick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

My favorite part of fireworks on the 4th of July is all the assholes whose car alarms get set off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi-b1YVql-w