Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

says the person who willingly calls herself "fat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I'm not racist, some of my best friends are fat

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/waif0000/status/1146830491707949057

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/prettynews_/status/1147204639651028993

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Already gone

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Tulip posted:

Marx has a high chance of being one of the smellier philosophers since Diogenes.

being gross makes you a better philosopher, because you've ascended from the petty constraints of human aestheticism

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/JarrodAlonge/status/1146795703802454016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lmao

https://mobile.twitter.com/JarrodAlonge/status/1147132948505907200

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-in-hong-kong-colonialism-isnt-a-bad-word-its-a-legacy-worth/

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm reading Late Victorian Holocausts right now and I hope this guy shits himself to death while working for less food than you'd get in a Nazi death camp

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

I'm reading Late Victorian Holocausts right now and I hope this guy shits himself to death while working for less food than you'd get in a Nazi death camp

It's almost as if being a beneficiary of global imperialism because you're a key trade hub skews your opinion of the whole colonial process.

Hong Kongans can be nostalgic for colonialism, because that's the only thing that made their city relevant on a global stage. With China opened up to the global economy, they've declined rapidly in importance because they're no longer the only game in town for Western access.

The same goes for Singapore, which benefits uniquely from its position at a vital global trade hub and its history as a British colony - yet this is the city that homo economicans use as the realization of their dream for the world, without recognizing what makes it exceptional in the first place.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

homo economicans
thanks for making my skin crawl off of my body by invoking this truly awful economist term

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

get that OUT of my face posted:

thanks for making my skin crawl off of my body by invoking this truly awful economist term

it's like homo sovieticus, but instead of being unrealistic expectations about good things it's unrealistic expectations about bad things that are actually good if you think about it :thunk:

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

One of the comments said she was actually protesting Trump :iiam:

Also I’m the floral manboob

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

how the gently caress can you be this ignorant

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there are so many terrible things in this article, but the one that sticks out to me is lamenting that the people of Hong Kong had no say over being transitioned from British to Chinese administration. whose fault is that, exactly?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's almost as if being a beneficiary of global imperialism because you're a key trade hub skews your opinion of the whole colonial process.

Hong Kongans can be nostalgic for colonialism, because that's the only thing that made their city relevant on a global stage. With China opened up to the global economy, they've declined rapidly in importance because they're no longer the only game in town for Western access.

The same goes for Singapore, which benefits uniquely from its position at a vital global trade hub and its history as a British colony - yet this is the city that homo economicans use as the realization of their dream for the world, without recognizing what makes it exceptional in the first place.

you get jack poo poo in capitalism from just being a Trade Hub. Singapore only became wealthy because of a massive industry-focused state-planned development programme after independence and it shifted into financialization later when everyone else was doing it. HK is probably the one non-western economy in the entire world that didn't need some kind of developmental state to industrialize and that's only because of a) the unique position in China you pointed out while Bretton Woods was blockading the PRC and b) HSBC mostly replaced the role the state usually has in industrial development while the colonial govt picked up the slack for providing mass public housing. anyway that's my take, hope it's interesting

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
like just having easy money flowing around because of trade going through isn't enough for a country to industrialize, you need some institution that can redirect the money to the right places so it doesn't just go from rich foreigners to other rich foreigners

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Zohar posted:

like just having easy money flowing around because of trade going through isn't enough for a country to industrialize, you need some institution that can redirect the money to the right places so it doesn't just go from rich foreigners to other rich foreigners

sure, that’s what the state is for. but city-States like Singapore aren’t feasible if they don’t have a unique position to exploit like they do.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
yeah, but I guess all I'm getting at is your post made it sound like SG became rich under or even bc of British colonialism which is... not true. The direct benefits from British rule are vague cultural stuff like speaking English in a world where that's the dominant business language, but the whole ex British empire has that

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Zohar posted:

yeah, but I guess all I'm getting at is your post made it sound like SG became rich under or even bc of British colonialism which is... not true. The direct benefits from British rule are vague cultural stuff like speaking English in a world where that's the dominant business language, but the whole ex British empire has that

yeah I was trying to keep it short, I meant that Singapore only exists at all because it was a British colony separated from Malaysia. Without colonialism it wouldn't exist, and if it weren't where it is then it couldn't survive as a city state. My point is that colonial legacies seem great when you were uniquely enriched by it. If it weren't for British rule then it'd just be part of Johore.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/BUSSCRO/status/1147310349798035456?s=20

Jesus Christ

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I wish Bill Waterson would sue Stantis and the Sinfest guy.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

lmao this is an all-timer

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

My god

not "allowing people to license his work in good ways"

If only I could buy a pizza shaped like hobbes with a phone app, but alas Bill has denied me such pleasures.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Slandering Bill Watterson as a potential pedophile because I can’t buy a Hobbes Fortnite skin ftw

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Slandering Bill Watterson as a potential pedophile because I can’t buy a Hobbes Fortnite skin ftw

i thought fortnite's business model was to just rip off other peoples' characters and images without bothering to license or ask for permission at all

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I was gonna post about that exact line, just imagine the mind that can produce it, it's positively muskian

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I think they're saying all reclusives are pedophiles.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think they're saying all reclusives are pedophiles.

If you're extroverted enough to interact with anyone of any age, you're not a proper recluse in my opinion.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Since I forget where I originally had this argument and this probably counts; wealthy white women are complaining that the left is demanding the dismantling of exploitative imperial institutions just as they're finally getting Their Turn to be in charge and enjoy exploiting others, but the only reason women are even getting the chance to enjoy slaveowning and murder is specifically because white supremacist capitalist institutions have been weakened enough by progressive politics that it's becoming viable to destroy them, anything that would make those sexist racist leftist bros shut up and go away would definitely also make sure rich women go back in the boudoir getting bored to death again.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

My god

not "allowing people to license his work in good ways"

If only I could buy a pizza shaped like hobbes with a phone app, but alas Bill has denied me such pleasures.

https://twitter.com/PizzaTwatter/status/1110255238190108672

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

There is a whole lot going on in this video, but I only had one question the entire time. How do they think cats open their mouths, why is Garfield's mouth inside his nose.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://twitter.com/TomArnold/status/1146922887627993089?s=19

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"first" dictator, lol

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pomp posted:

"first" dictator, lol

Honestly the oddest thing in American history is that Andrew Jackson didn't destroy all claims to being a republic to the root.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

ah, but much like old cincinnatus, jackson gave up his powers before retiring to the country to rape his slaves sharecroppers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tulip posted:

Honestly the oddest thing in American history is that Andrew Jackson didn't destroy all claims to being a republic to the root.

I think the fact there wasn’t any pushback from the elites helped him a lot.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i thought jackson helped expand voting rights to non-landowners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/netanyahu/status/1147824702360100864?s=21

https://twitter.com/netanyahu/status/1147824707095412736?s=21